I crashed my drone
2304 15 2017-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Will Grabham
lvl.1

United Kingdom

It was my first flight and my Mavic Pro was hovering in the air fine(I was indoors) then it started drifting and I couldn't control it. It crashed and broke a propellor. I want to know why. I know I don't get that good service inside so that might be something to do with it. I had tried to do an update previously but that wasn't updating so I double tapped and swept it away (apple) therefore rebooting then app. Can anybody tell me why this happened. Happy to answer any questions.
Will
2017-1-30
Use props
hridge
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17651 ft
United States

Low light? Doesn't help,  did you calibrate control sticks?  Also if your facing your done (front of camera) side to side controls should be selected opposite to which way you want to go. If you drone is facing away (looking from back end) use the controls the way you want to go normally.
2017-1-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think it's fair to say, you should have read the manual first , safe open area outside , it will tell you this on p48.

The likelihood is you were in a room trying to use gps and drifting into Atti mode which will cause the aircraft to drift , or using opti mode in a badly lit room,

Regardless having to ask a simple question, leads me to think you are only a new flyer.

One thing you can be sure of your Mavic didn't crash because of malfunction, and you are among many who fell into the trap of thinking this is easy to fly indoors.

I would recommend that you learn to fly outdoors before attempting indoor flying.
Good luck..

2017-1-30
Use props
Dronoob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

So many things can go wrong inside:
  • All the wi-fi causes the RC to disconnect from the drone.
  • The drone creates a lot of wind that pushes the drone into the walls.
  • There is a weak GPS signal which gives the drone a wrong position, so that it moves to fix its position.
  • RTH could be initiated and the drone goes to its RTH height which is higher than the ceiling.

Never, never, never do a first flight inside except you know exactly what you are doing.
2017-1-30
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

two things are your friend when first flying:
  Altitude
  PLENTY of open space away from...everything.

If you have both of the above (and in the case of the MAvic, are in Beginner Mode), chances of a crash/problem are lowered drasticallly
2017-1-30
Use props
UtopianCrew
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5213 ft
United States

Calibrated control and aircraft?
If it is just a prop you are lucky.
2017-1-30
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

Why would you fly your new drone inside...
2017-1-30
Use props
fans8f193def
lvl.1

Chile

Terrible move for a first flight. Do yourself a favor and enjoy a big open field if possible. Forget indoor flight.
2017-1-30
Use props
HWKIDD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22877 ft
United States

I wish some one  would  just change the manual,  and say this is a outside flying machine,   indoor use is not  recommended,    98 percent of the  crashes indoors,   are   operator error,   based on instructions, provided,  and lighting conditions,  or floor patterns,    this is not a toy drone,  the living room is just not the place for it,   Sorry for the rant,   but   this is such a new  field,  it  will take a few more attemps to perfect,    follow the instructions,   wide open spaces,,,,,  sounds like a song,, happy droning
2017-1-30
Use props
Airwolf13
lvl.3
Flight distance : 36995 ft
United States

Sure.  DONT fly indoors on your maiden voyage...DUH
2017-1-30
Use props
Will Grabham
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks for your replies. I tried again through just wifi using my phone and worked perfectly so there is no reason not to fly indoors as long as you're flying through wifi.
2017-1-30
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Australia

Will Grabham Posted at 2017-1-30 23:14
Thanks for your replies. I tried again through just wifi using my phone and worked perfectly so there is no reason not to fly indoors as long as you're flying through wifi.

What makes you say that flying over WiFi would be better/safer than flying over the RC? As far as I know, the aircraft will still make use of all the same systems whether it's in WiFI or RC mode.
2017-1-30
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

You are saying you couldnt control it.. I read this as: you panicked and didnt know HOW to control it. Classic rookie mistake. This is why everyone recommends to learn and test outdoor in an open field. Especially for the first flight and ESPECIALLY if you never flew a quad.

There is no why. The only reason there is it didn't stay stable, is low light, just your houselights aren't enough. The rest, when it dirfts, is up to you.

Many people make the mistake it will stay stable and release controls and will stop moving, like an RC Car, this is not the case.
2017-1-31
Use props
Chaser720
lvl.3
Flight distance : 400190 ft
Canada

Nees Posted at 2017-1-31 04:04
You are saying you couldnt control it.. I read this as: you panicked and didnt know HOW to control it. Classic rookie mistake. This is why everyone recommends to learn and test outdoor in an open field. Especially for the first flight and ESPECIALLY if you never flew a quad.

There is no why. The only reason there is it didn't stay stable, is low light, just your houselights aren't enough. The rest, when it dirfts, is up to you.

This.

I flew mine inside ONCE and it took off hard left towards a wall. I was able to save it because I fly a Hubsan X4 around my house all the time so I didn't panic. Amazing what a couple hours flight time with a drone without any aids will do for you.
2017-1-31
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

They should put a software restriction in the drones to stop you from flying inside when it's just first flight... so many people is crashing their drones this way....

Guys keep in mind that if you watched Casey flying his drone inside, his office is quite large and empty and the roof is quite high... unlike a normal house..
2017-1-31
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

You should get some propeller guards on eBay, if you insist on flying indoors.
- It will basically remove the word "idiot" on you.
2017-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules