1806 14 2017-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Ken/Ed,

I know a user selectable Atti mode has been requested many times from yourselves and others (it is rife on other forums as well).

Why on Earth would DJI actually consider it a good idea not to give users the option of selecting Atti (especially when issues arise with GPS/Compass etc)

There have been numerous instances of TBE where a second Compass hasnt helped or not switched in - It is exactly times like this where Atti would come into its own and potentially save lost aircraft.

Could we please have or can you at least request an official response and reason that user selectable Atti mode has not or maybe never will be implemented?

It seems to make no sense whatsover to deny users this mode.

Thanks guys

2017-1-30
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

Just wanted to know if this is the same, I've looked at my log files and seeing Joystick then GPS_Atti, then Joystick... I see that a few times in the log files.

E        01m 01s        4.7 m        9 m                Mode        Mode changed to Joystick
F        01m 01s        4.7 m        9 m                Mode        Mode changed to ActiveTrack
G        02m 12s        4.7 m        8 m                Mode        Mode changed to Joystick
H        02m 12s        4.7 m        7 m                Mode        Mode changed to GPS_Atti
I        03m 32s        7.6 m        7 m                Mode        Mode changed to Joystick
J        03m 32s        7.6 m        7 m                Mode        Mode changed to ActiveTrack
K        04m 15s        7.4 m        16 m        Mode        Mode changed to Joystick
L        04m 15s        7.4 m        16 m        Mode        Mode changed to GPS_Atti
2017-1-30
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

I will resurrect this thread since there seems to be no interest.

I can only assume everybody is happy with their Mavics not having selectable Atti.

Yes, I know people have asked, yes I know it has been requested but we have never had an official response as to why it has not been implemented.
2017-2-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I suppose the real argument now is , why dji won't discuss or comment on the matter, if they came out and said , it won't happen , end of argument, if they said it's not possible, end of argument, dji has consistently tried to provide as many redundancy in there AC, like duel IMU, COMPASS ETC, it seems a bit strange why they would leave out another like ATTI , but there must be some thinking as to why the did this, and if it's the case that they did it for some other good reason, then it beholds them to front up and let all those who want to know why.

There is one thing, if you loose gps you automatically go to Atti mode, and you still have that control , it's there, if they decide to add Atti and you have to let's say use one of the other buttons, this will take time to get use to and may cause pilot to inadvertently and untimely press the button and who knows what might happen.

There are a huge number of new first time pilots using the Mavic many had never even heard of Atti and without knowing about it , may have just being as happy not to know about it.

The only real difference in having Atti on the Mavic is that pilots can practice, but believe me if you fly your AC out of VLOS and you loose gps I think that maybe 1 in 30 pilots will recover AC.

So here on this forum, there has been one piece of advice from members and mods one in particular dji ken , who has always recommended buying the cheap $50 AC , and go practice and I also believe if people are serious about learning to fly remotely without any redundancies that this is a much better way of learning, than just giving them a button that says Atti, this button won't save you from anything unless you know how to operate it.
2017-2-10
Use props
StianGel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 686654 ft
Norway

I would also love to have a selectable ATTI mode.
That way i could fly feom outside to inside and back out again with full control.
Not sure how the Mavic behaves when loosing and regaining GPS multiple times.
2017-2-10
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

Thumbs up for the selectable ATTI mode!!
2017-2-10
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

It isn't just new pilots asking for ATTI. Different types of aircraft have different flight characteristics, so buying a different cheap -- or expensive -- drone to practice ATTI mode isn't really a solution to learning how to fly a Mavic in ATTI mode: it's just the best / only option currently available. And regardless of one's expertise with ATTI, some people want or even have a real need to fly their Mavics indoors, and the lack of a user-selectable ATTI mode means that they risk crashing their Mavic if it happens to spontaneously switch between ATTI and GPS. In other words, a user-selectable ATTI mode on the Mavic makes sense for the same reasons that it does / did for the Phantoms, and clearly DJI saw value in providing it there. As far as Ken goes, he has said that he does see value in it and that he hopes it will be added to the Mavic.
2017-2-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-10 04:34
It isn't just new pilots asking for ATTI. Different types of aircraft have different flight characteristics, so buying a different cheap -- or expensive -- drone to practice ATTI mode isn't really a solution to learning how to fly a Mavic in ATTI mode: it's just the best / only option currently available. And regardless of one's expertise with ATTI, some people want or even have a real need to fly their Mavics indoors, and the lack of a user-selectable ATTI mode means that they risk crashing their Mavic if it happens to spontaneously switch between ATTI and GPS. In other words, a user-selectable ATTI mode on the Mavic makes sense for the same reasons that it does / did for the Phantoms, and clearly DJI saw value in providing it there. As far as Ken goes, he has said that he does see value in it and that he hopes it will be added to the Mavic.

I suppose you make a good case for flying indoors with Atti , but from what I see those who crash indoors is because it goes into Atti mode. I also haven't seen any interesting footage indoors, so I presume it's a just because I can do it sort of thing.
Atti in P4 is used as a redundancy, not for flying indoors but rather for controlling your aircraft when you loose gps.
Opti when used correctly is the mode that should be used indoors and many do , if you have not used Atti mode before it's quite difficult outside , and more than a little more tricky indoors.

Don't get me wrong I would love to have Atti switch with Mavic but not for flying indoors,
2017-2-10
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-10 05:30
I suppose you make a good case for flying indoors with Atti , but from what I see those who crash indoors is because it goes into Atti mode. I also haven't seen any interesting footage indoors, so I presume it's a just because I can do it sort of thing.
Atti in P4 is used as a redundancy, not for flying indoors but rather for controlling your aircraft when you loose gps.
Opti when used correctly is the mode that should be used indoors and many do , if you have not used Atti mode before it's quite difficult outside , and more than a little more tricky indoors.

You're right: most indoor flights -- and indoor crashes -- seem to be by people who just got their drone and are too anxious to wait for accommodating weather. I personally don't have any need or desire to fly indoors, but I've occasionally seen posts from people who do have more compelling reasons for it. Plus, I'd like to be able to practice flying the Mavic in ATTI mode outdoors just in case I ever encounter the spontaneous GPS loss that so many have reported.

One of the first things I remember being taught to practice when I started flying airplanes was how to handle an engine failure, and I guess I still have the mindset of wanting to prepare for things like that, even if they are unlikely. And from a purely pragmatic standpoint, DJI would probably sell a few more of those pricey new "prop cages" if indoor flights could be made more predictable.
2017-2-10
Use props
Jdwyier
lvl.2

United States

Regardless of whether DJI ever incorporates a way to manually switch to ATTI mode I would be surprised if DJI ever came out with a statement for why there was no way to switch manually to ATTI initially.  An explanation of their reasoning would likely be a no-win situation for them because the explanation would upset some portion of their customer base.

If it's due to a hardware limitation would that satisfy everyone?
If it's because of instability issues would that satisfy everyone?
If it's because it saved them .001 cents per unit would that satisfy everyone?
If it's because they don't want to have to deal with more people making warranty or care refresh claims would that satisfy everyone?

Given that their user base clearly has a large portion of new pilots they may have simply wanted to load up the Mavic with as many bells and whistles as possible while at the same time dumbing it down.

Do they owe us an explanation?  I dunno. Do they explain why follow me mode mode won't work at the crafts max speed? Do they explain why the crafts base operating mode is so weak that it can't deal with a breeze that is common in many parts of the world and requires a switch to sport mode? Did they explain why they went from Google maps to Hear maps?

Corporations rarely make their internal decisions public. All we can do is be a voice asking them to change their minds about decisions we disagree with through our voices and wallets.

2017-2-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Jdwyier Posted at 2017-2-10 06:35
Regardless of whether DJI ever incorporates a way to manually switch to ATTI mode I would be surprised if DJI ever came out with a statement for why there was no way to switch manually to ATTI initially.  An explanation of their reasoning would likely be a no-win situation for them because the explanation would upset some portion of their customer base.

If it's due to a hardware limitation would that satisfy everyone?

I think your right dji won't come forward and make a statement saying why they didn't include Atti button, nor do I think they need to, Mavic is a great design in every way, value for money there's nothing out there to match it.

I don't think dji made a mistake or tried to save pennies by not putting Atti as a separate option on the Mavic , I think this was done for a purpose, these are extremely good engineers working on these AC It wasn't a mistake or something they forgot about, what they actually done was make Atti mode automatic, so if you loose gps Atti kicks in, I mean what do people use Atti for , answer is almost nothing except when you loose gps.

There are some here on the forum saying it's needed for indoor flying, that's rubbish , most can't use it outdoors,

Dji have always listened to there customers, and where they can in the form of firmware they have always tried to improve there products. And there are many examples of this , i.e. on P4 you couldn't switch off VPS many P4 users expressed disappointment about this, and dji came out with a statement saying because of customers requests they would include in a firmware upgrade the ability to switch of VPS , there are many other examples.

So will they introduce a way to switch to Atti mode, if it's a hardware issue No , if it's an easy firmware issue and they think it's a safer option then I think they would, we will just have to wait and see.

Good luck..
2017-2-10
Use props
SeanOzz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 612405 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tharg (from the Posted at 2017-2-10 02:06
I will resurrect this thread since there seems to be no interest.

I can only assume everybody is happy with their Mavics not having selectable Atti.

i personally think having a manual non gps mode (atti) mode as an option for advanced users would be great.
2017-2-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

SeanOzz Posted at 2017-2-10 09:39
i personally think having a manual non gps mode (atti) mode as an option for advanced users would be great.

I agree...
2017-2-10
Use props
Nigpd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 597677 ft
United Kingdom

I think we have more chance of growing our ears and flapping to the moon, than DJI giving us atti mode on the Mavic
2017-2-10
Use props
Watty2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

I predict they'll introduce it as a new feature in the Mavic 2.
2017-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules