Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Bobbing Action
901 8 2017-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tvl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 197779 ft
United States

I have a quick question for those who have experience with the P4. I've only had my drone for two days now and just noticed something new this afternoon that has NOT occurred before while flying. While the craft is hovering roughly 1 to 2 feet off the ground it wants to bob up and down a little. All other times I had flown it it was completely stable while hovering at this height. Have I done something unknowingly OR is there a calibration that needs updating?
2017-1-30
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

No it is normal. If it is too close to the ground it might want to land or not to land. Try to keep it above 3 feet.
2017-1-30
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It may be trying to compensate for a light breeze
2017-1-30
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
First Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Have you been doing this hovering test in the same position (eg same take of point every time) , or on different surfaces? Another thing, check to see if it is stable when you get it up a lot higher?
Maybe calibrate your vision sensors using your PC.
2017-1-30
Use props
tvl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 197779 ft
United States

I have something I would like to add to my original post which may explain the bobbing motion I encountered today. However, one of the experts on this site will hopefully be able to confirm if my suspicion is correct.

After each flight and during landing for the past two days, I have played around with the craft when it gets very near to the ground (about 1 to 2 feet above the surface of the lawn). Again, it has always hovered steady with almost no moment whatsoever. However, on my last flight today, I wanted to fly it after dark. It was very dark (no moon) and the craft flew beautifully all over the neighborhood and over to the nearby school and back. Once it returned home, I lowered it as always and I wanted to hover it just above the surface of the lawn. That is when I encountered the bobbing action. If I raised it up just a few feet it became very steady and stable. I'm thinking since it was dark, the sensors were having difficulty getting a good view of the ground, which in turn caused the bobbing. Is this a correct assumption or am I totally off base?
2017-1-30
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Do you have anything blocking the VPS sensors below, like a 3rd party landing gear bracket?
2017-1-30
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

tvl Posted at 2017-1-30 21:01
I have something I would like to add to my original post which may explain the bobbing motion I encountered today. However, one of the experts on this site will hopefully be able to confirm if my suspicion is correct.

After each flight and during landing for the past two days, I have played around with the craft when it gets very near to the ground (about 1 to 2 feet above the surface of the lawn). Again, it has always hovered steady with almost no moment whatsoever. However, on my last flight today, I wanted to fly it after dark. It was very dark (no moon) and the craft flew beautifully all over the neighborhood and over to the nearby school and back. Once it returned home, I lowered it as always and I wanted to hover it just above the surface of the lawn. That is when I encountered the bobbing action. If I raised it up just a few feet it became very steady and stable. I'm thinking since it was dark, the sensors were having difficulty getting a good view of the ground, which in turn caused the bobbing. Is this a correct assumption or am I totally off base?

Yes, that's quite a significant add-on of info... :-) It wasn't sure where the ground was (relying on the ultra-sonic, I'd say).
2017-1-30
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
First Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

tvl Posted at 2017-1-30 21:01

Hi tvl,
Your assumption is spot on!! this is quite normal operation in your circumstances.   
2017-1-30
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 21621841 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Normal - the barometric sensor (which helps maintain altitude) gets fluctuating readings if the craft is close to the ground under still conditions because of the downdraft pressurises the air below the craft. If there's a steady breeze, this effect is reduced. Simple physics.  I think when landing, the sensor is turned off and the ultrasonic sensor has priority. That one isn't affected by pressure.
2017-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules