8281 62 2017-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans83c161a1
New
Flight distance : 296722 ft
United Kingdom

fans23aba83e Posted at 2017-2-10 06:20
I have had exactly the same experience. . Home point established at my location and changing mid flight as I started the return to home. I had clear vision of the ac up until the final 50m .. it landed in foliage just seconds after I lost sight of it. There are quite a few anomalies on the flight log.. I have forensically searched both locations with hunting and tracking friends and professional search and rescue colleagues without success.  Yesterday there was a communication from DJI acknowledging a problem with RTH.. DI'd anyone else receive it?. I too have started a case and fully expect DJI to do the honourable thing

Hi can someone please confirm that the correct app to use with a Phantom 4 is DJI GO 4
2017-2-12
Use props
avbond
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7487 ft
United Kingdom

macarius Posted at 2017-1-31 07:48
Has the bug confirmed by DJI yet ?

Yes it has i i had a pop up message on my phone a few days ago saying they was a bug with ver 3.x (did not get exact version) but a update came out in the last week or so for version 3.x saying undesirable home point situation may occur , my mavic is in for repair as it home postilion suddenly changed to approx 1000m away.
2017-2-12
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

So why is your mavic in for repair if you claim the problem is with the Go App?
This is just getting sillier and sillier.

Can someone show me evidence that the homepoint is NOT being reset by the onboard chips that actually manage and delegate the homepoint actions.
2017-2-12
Use props
fanse60fa0d7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 276844 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I see everyone saying to use DJI Go 4. Unfortunately Go 4 does NOT work properly on android devices (as the OP was using).
DJI Go 4 crashed about once a minute. It is completely unsafe to fly. Just look at the rating on Google Play. Most user ratings are 1 out of 5 (cannot give it a zero)

Please DJI, fix this crappy software!!!
2017-2-12
Use props
Kay3
lvl.1

France

I met the caretaker of the campground and went to the landing location but no luck. It is a woody area close to a river. For all practical purposes it’s gone.

In the meanwhile, DJI recognized the bug and will send a replacement. When I will get it I plan to use DJI Go on an iPad Mini instead of my Galaxy S5.
2017-2-12
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

Good to see DJI own this problem.
What did DJI say regarding the bug? because i am assuming if you just stated you will be using GoApp3, then there is no identified issue regarding said app or you disregarded that advice, OR you made a typo?
PS: When you get your new Mavic, use it to scour the tree tops in the area you lost your other to help recover it. They do get stuck in trees, so a topical view should assist.
2017-2-12
Use props
xfinity
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Kay3 Posted at 2017-2-12 20:35
I met the caretaker of the campground and went to the landing location but no luck. It is a woody area close to a river. For all practical purposes it’s gone.

In the meanwhile, DJI recognized the bug and will send a replacement. When I will get it I plan to use DJI Go on an iPad Mini instead of my Galaxy S5.

Glad they are willing to replace a new unit for u.
it must have been a frustrating few weeks. At least u got over it a last.
2017-2-12
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

Well what is the verdict OP Kay3?

Did DJI instruct you about using GoApp3 on your replacement drone which according to people in this thread caused your dilemma in the 1st place?

This doesnt make sense.

Dont run off and desert us now that you got your replacement in the mail.
2017-2-14
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans83c161a1 Posted at 2017-2-12 13:52
Hi can someone please confirm that the correct app to use with a Phantom 4 is DJI GO 4

Yes it is and make sure you update your app and MP. Check my post at:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-85071-1-1.html
2017-2-14
Use props
avbond
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7487 ft
United Kingdom

fans23aba83e Posted at 2017-2-10 06:20
I have had exactly the same experience. . Home point established at my location and changing mid flight as I started the return to home. I had clear vision of the ac up until the final 50m .. it landed in foliage just seconds after I lost sight of it. There are quite a few anomalies on the flight log.. I have forensically searched both locations with hunting and tracking friends and professional search and rescue colleagues without success.  Yesterday there was a communication from DJI acknowledging a problem with RTH.. DI'd anyone else receive it?. I too have started a case and fully expect DJI to do the honourable thing

My mavic crashed on day 1 went away 10 days ago for repair, while away got the same message you posted . I have now got a email back saying repaired under "Warranty after data" , more than likely  down to this version of Dji go app

2017-2-14
Use props
fans07cd953b
lvl.1

United States

fans83c161a1 Posted at 2017-2-12 13:52

As well, after four great flights out to over 8000 ft. and RTH checked I uploaded Litchi App and flew waypoints which worked as advertised.  The next day my friend and I went out and I loaded the waypoints, checked all entries and launched. After 3 minutes the controller went to "connecting" and picture lost. RTH and no return. Never found.  Called DJI to inform them of the fly away. Sent all data to DJI. On my phone I have HEALTHY DOCTOR which records everything.  Checked flight route and it showed were it flew, time distance and GPS coordinates. Started a search and we couldn't find it.  I have flown everything from 450's to S900's, Phantoms and never have had a fly away. The Mavic should of returned to home when it lost signal.
2017-2-15
Use props
bochen7
lvl.2
United States

Kay3 Posted at 2017-2-2 22:22
I uploaded the flight data to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/R69ENZH0MH34MO1Q7EQI/
The interesting part is at 12m 0.2s. Within a few hundredths of second the maximum flight distance is reached and a new far away home point is recorded. Note that my RC told me after a few minutes that the connection was lost but somehow the data was recorded.

Sorry if this is already answered:

So did you actually press the PAUSE/red panic button or not?

Because if you did, and it didn't stop or RTH overrode your command, leading to the flyaway, then prove of it should be on the controller itself.

In that case, make sure to get a third party to back up the forensic evidence before sending your rc to DJI, then if they don't give you a new drone, file a chargeback with the CC company.
2017-2-15
Use props
dcssteve
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12110 ft
United States

This change of home point has happened to me twice with my Mavic. The first time I realized what happened and would not press the RTH button as I felt it would just return to somewhere I did not know.  I managed to find myself on the small screen and land just before the battery was going to force an RTH.
2017-3-7
Use props
dcssteve
lvl.1
United States

This change of home point has happened to me twice with my Mavic. The first time I realized what happened and would not press the RTH button as I felt it would just return to somewhere I did not know.  I managed to find myself on the small screen and land just before the battery was going to force an RTH
2017-3-7
Use props
dcssteve
lvl.1
United States

This change of home point has happened to me twice with my Mavic. The first time I realized what happened and would not press the RTH button as I felt it would just return to somewhere I did not know.  I thought I was going to lose it because I lost sight of it but I finally managed to find myself on the small screen and land just before the battery was going to force an RTH

The second time, I had learned that you can reset the home point to where your transmitter is in flight. So I used that option in DJI GO 4 to reset the home point. It was not all that easy because I could barely see my phone screen in the daylight but it worked perfect.  Its really scary to think the Mavic can move the home point in flight.  
2017-3-7
Use props
jyavenard
lvl.2

France

Kay3 Posted at 2017-2-12 20:35

Did you end up getting your replacement?

DJI after care is rather a shocker in poor service... so I'd be amazed if they do come through their words.
2017-3-7
Use props
M_str
lvl.2
Belgium

dcssteve Posted at 2017-3-7 03:51
This change of home point has happened to me twice with my Mavic. The first time I realized what happened and would not press the RTH button as I felt it would just return to somewhere I did not know.  I managed to find myself on the small screen and land just before the battery was going to force an RTH

But in the end, what was the problem : old app 3xx instead of the 4 th ?
If it happens with the App4, what should we do ?
- press pause ?  When in pause, is it possible to land ?  
- define a  new home point ?
- define a new distance of control ?  

NB/ I have not yet used mine (just out of the box but waiting for better weather), but now I'am a bit scared
2017-3-7
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

"""""Kay3 Posted at 2017-2-12 20:35
I met the caretaker of the campground and went to the landing location but no luck. It is a woody area close to a river. For all practical purposes it’s gone."""""

I bet it is there in the top of a tree somewhere .  I flew a racing drone about the size of a Mavic into one of the trees on my property and knew which tree but could not find it . Went looking with my binoculars and a friends Inspire but no luck spotting it . My friend brought over his tree trimming bucket truck and it took him about 15 minutes to find it . Even though he was 10' directly over it he almost did not see it  .
2017-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

jyavenard Posted at 2017-3-7 04:24
Did you end up getting your replacement?

DJI after care is rather a shocker in poor service... so I'd be amazed if they do come through their words.

You find if the outcome is a bad one you will hear plenty from the OP, but we very seldom hear if the outcome is a good one...
2017-3-7
Use props
waynem61
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12995 ft
Australia

fans07cd953b Posted at 2017-2-15 18:05
As well, after four great flights out to over 8000 ft. and RTH checked I uploaded Litchi App and flew waypoints which worked as advertised.  The next day my friend and I went out and I loaded the waypoints, checked all entries and launched. After 3 minutes the controller went to "connecting" and picture lost. RTH and no return. Never found.  Called DJI to inform them of the fly away. Sent all data to DJI. On my phone I have HEALTHY DOCTOR which records everything.  Checked flight route and it showed were it flew, time distance and GPS coordinates. Started a search and we couldn't find it.  I have flown everything from 450's to S900's, Phantoms and never have had a fly away. The Mavic should of returned to home when it lost signal.

Sounds similar to my experience. Controller showing "Connecting", Mavic fails to return home. Luckily, HealthyDrones log was able to give me a last known location. Unluckily, it was in the ocean, but I managed to recover it. Sent it back to DJI and still waiting (6 days) for it to be "unpacked".
2017-3-8
Use props
fans9553217f
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

The GO app does issue a warning that you should be using the GO 4 app with the Mavic, the moment the app connects to the drone. The user can proceed and ignore the message, but the warning should be heeded. If I was Kay3, I would be very upset, and he has my sympathy. However, he was warned and being a beginner is no excuse. I have made mistakes and accept I am to blame. Drones are not like other consumer tech, because they can change position and cause expensive damage. Unlike a top of the range TV or exotic laptop, nothing bad will happen if you ignore the instructions and dabble. Not so with the drone, as we all know. I do think DJI should make their manuals complete. A lot of info is left out, that should be in there. OK, if you can't be bothered to read the manual, you will get what's coming, but for those who want to avoid the loss of their drone, a detailed manual is what they need.
2017-3-9
Use props
Graystar
lvl.1
Flight distance : 865440 ft

United States

Take coordinates from flight log and enter into Backcountry Pro...go to spot....Backcountry will show "waypoint" u entered and it shows where u are in real time, walk to drone...I found mine in thick, knarly, nasty woods no problem.
2019-1-7
Use props
Graystar
lvl.1
Flight distance : 865440 ft

United States

Take coordinates from flight log and enter into Backcountry Pro...go to spot....Backcountry will show "waypoint" u entered and it shows where u are in real time, walk to drone...I found mine in thick, knarly, nasty woods no problem.
2019-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules