GS Pro and Phantom 4 Pro
2514 4 2017-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Flying_Saucer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 46050 ft
United States

Hi guys, my 1st post here.  I'm flying the P4P and using the new GS Pro and have 2 questions:

1.  How do I adjust camera setting in GS Pro or where do the settings that GS Pro uses come from?
2.  When flying a grid 3d map scan, I noticed that the front of the phantom always faces the same direction.  On one leg it flys forward and on the next leg it flys backwards to always keep its nose pointed in one direction.  Is it possible to have it fly in its forward direction for the entire mission?

Thanks and sorry if its already been asked!
2017-1-31
Use props
reto.w
lvl.2
Switzerland

1. You have to adjust the camera settings using the GO 4 app, it will be stored in the P4P and used during the mapping/scan flight. I prefer manual settings to avoid exposure/iso and white balance drifts during the flight.

2. I have experienced exactly the same issue which surprises me most. Especially when you adjust the camera angle to less than 90°, you want the aircraft to always fly look&forward, won't you?
2017-2-1
Use props
Flying_Saucer
lvl.1
United States

Thanks reto.w.  I supsected as much with the camera settings.

Regarding the forward flight issue, it's debatable.  I would argue that if your flying an oblique grid pattern (camera less then 90 degrees) , this allows you to maintain whatever overlap you programmed.  If your always facing forward flight direction you are essentially skipping a row every other row.  I've learned to increase my overlap when flying an oblique grid patterns (if compared to the camera pointing straight down) in order to compensate for that effect.  That being said, it also now doubles your number of flights when flying less then 90 degrees on the camera.
2017-2-1
Use props
reto.w
lvl.2
Switzerland

What I'm trying to do is a slightly oblique scan with about 75° down instead of 90°. This might need a little more sidelap but not too much, I guess. With only a minor "forward look" (of 15°) your images still have an area with orthogonal perspective which allows phorogrammetry software to find enough keypoints, I suppose. Like that, facades are better captured while there is still enough nadir image data for a good orthophoto. Ideally one would fly a double-grid pattern (cross-wise), which allows to "face" vertical structures from 4 sides instead of just 2 (or even 1, with GSP).

But what I definitely don't want is a fixed tilt in only one direction, exactly what GSP currently does.
Why do they freeze the copter's yaw angle during the entire flight?
2017-2-1
Use props
Flying_Saucer
lvl.1
United States

Yeah, I don't know why they did that.  Wasn't like that on the original GS.  The original always flew in "forward" direction.  I guess they only thought about a 90 degree straight down perspective.  I get what your trying to do.  I've done the same, even going as far as 65 degrees.  It's nice that the angle can be set in the new GS.  The only way I see getting those kind of results is to fly 2 double grid, a quadruple grid for lack of a better term.  Try flying each grid with considerably less sidelap, like 10 or 20, or just enough for your photogrammetry software to register the sequence of images.  Might take a few tries.  Overall, I think its a good trade of, the new interface is much simpler and the automated flight seems to be more reactive and more precise.  Just wish you could choose the direction of flight style.
2017-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules