Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
CineSSD, what's inside.. can you upgrade it yourself?
30692 92 2017-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ski
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

imagine@andcut.dk Posted at 11-22 01:49
Hey Guys! Did anyone ever got it to work? - Buying a brand new Cinessd and replacing the internal ssd component with lets say a 2TB version instead before booting it up for the first time? Will it work with the inspire 2?

no it does not work, and on top of that DJI just discontinued all the reasonable sized SSDs and replaced w/ a $1700 960gb version that requires a new CINESSD station, the "old" USB/Thunderbolt ones won't work...

add this to the long list of complete middle finger to customers
2020-12-8
Use props
DougcJohn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1353609 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did this project die and fade or is there a new thread that continues the work?
With the TB Reader being limited to 480GB, I was wanting to know if upgrading “new” 120GB with 480GB would function based on the above Serial Number in side chip.
I’m assuming this project became a dead end and was dropped… but if someone knows if it’s obtainable, please update the thread.
2021-11-8
Use props
Adam_peter
New

Bangladesh

Samsung created mind blowing SSD for fastest data Read/Write. 960 Pro 970 Pro/ 980 Pro are one of them both are incredible. You may have a lookon them if you like!!!

https://ssdbuddy.com/blog/
2022-1-3
Use props
visionrouge.net
First Officer
France

Adam_peter Posted at 1-3 03:19
Samsung created mind blowing SSD for fastest data Read/Write. 960 Pro 970 Pro/ 980 Pro are one of them both are incredible. You may have a look on them if you like!!!

https://ssdbuddy.com/blog/

Are you offering something with your post despite affiliate Amazon store?
2022-1-3
Use props
Epic210
lvl.1
Flight distance : 962913 ft
United Kingdom

flybabe Posted at 2017-2-5 17:44
ok, we just opened up our 120GB CINESSD and found exactly what was posted as internals above. To open the SSD is really simple. There are 2 T2 tore screws in the front side of it and when unscrewing those you can simply lift up that side panel of the SSD. Takes some slight pull, since the thermal paste inside is holding it together, but really quiet a simple procedure. Then you can just take out the original M.2 SSD blade and swap for a different one. We bought a Samsung 960 EVO 512 GB one and put that inside instead of the original one. Close the housing and plugged it into the DJI card reader. it showed up in our formatting software and we formatted as FAT32 and made it write protected as the original. All worked great and very much straight forward. We then also installed the original 120GB ssd into our M.2 slot on our motherboard and it mounted right away and showed all our clips that were on there. We copied the 100GB worth of date in about 2-4 minutes of the drive (680MB - 1.2GB/s transfer speeds), so as someone suggested above the drives are fast and the only thing crippling it is the USB 3 connector (Really don't understand what the sense behind that USB connection is). So all that was very encouraging and we thought this should be an easy thing, but once we plugged the cinessd into the Inspire 2, it of course did not show up and was a total no go. This means there should be some sort of firmware on the SSD's that shows the Inspire what kind it is and that it is actually a "verified" and "blessed" DJI disk :-)
So unfortunately this will not be an easy swap and go procedure and it might be smarter to just buy the real one's , but lets see what other people might find.

There is an encoding chip on the SSD plug that’s between the actual drive and the end of the plug that goes into the inspire 2.

There are codes and the serial number of the drive in there, I has a accept and deny protocol on it, when the drive is plugged into the inspire the protocol is run and the serial number is compared from the chip to the drive, if you can somehow change the serial number of the actual drive it’s self and match it to the encoder chip then you have your self a bigger drive with more storage.
2022-1-19
Use props
Epic210
lvl.1
Flight distance : 962913 ft
United Kingdom

I 2 Fly Posted at 2017-2-1 02:04
Interesting...  so where does the sky high price tag come from???

Dji, all the care about if profit and that’s it
2022-1-19
Use props
sincabeza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2508911 ft
  • >>>
Ukraine

Any progress here ?
2022-7-13
Use props
djiuser_N6YzCvtK9rBQ
New
Greece

Guys since you where testing this ,if i try to put a 480gb( that the serial is the same as the Dji uses ) on a 240 gb original casing cinessd will it work ? or it works always the with the same Capacity as the casing ?
thnx
steve  
2022-10-9
Use props
visionrouge.net
First Officer
France

djiuser_N6YzCvtK9rBQ Posted at 10-9 14:49
Guys since you where testing this ,if i try to put a 480gb( that the serial is the same as the Dji uses ) on a 240 gb original casing cinessd will it work ? or it works always the with the same Capacity as the casing ?
thnx
steve

To my understanding, it will not work as this.
There is a memory chip that copy some serial number of the SSd snd it been compared to the current SSD when it start.

But... what I have noticed is that it seems this number is written at the first boot.
So something that "may" be working is to take a band new Cine SSD and exchange the SSD before the first use.
So the serial number is written once and all with this new capacity.

another idea is to reset this memory (that seems quite complicated) or unsolder it and put a brand new ne (seems quite esasier)

Good luck

You have the ref of the chip here https://www.visionrouge.net/what ... simple-ssd-instead/
2022-10-9
Use props
ro_walker
Captain
Brazil

2022-11-8
Use props
Drey. I
First Officer
Flight distance : 1757375 ft
  • >>>
United States

I 2 Fly Posted at 2017-2-1 02:04

It’s expensive cause they can make it expensive…
2023-3-2
Use props
R.Spencer
New

Canada

interesting topic
2023-3-10
Use props
Jake. A
Captain
Flight distance : 1205715 ft
United States

Thats just terrible. We pay so much for just this!!
2023-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules