Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Backpack advice please (pressure on motors)
2312 35 2017-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BashP4P+
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi Guys

Some advice please.

I picked up a polar pro trekker v2. I liked the idea of a rucksack type bag and also the size of it as it fits on flight cabins.

Only one problem or concern. The way the drone sits. Two of the motors sit inside the case. two other motors sits quite close to the backpack zip fastening and its tight. It is padded and the bag does come with motor covers/guards that can be used. Even with the motor covers there is pressure on the motors.

There is pressure on the motors just by fastening the zip. When on your back or when being transported around. I guess there will be more pressure on it.

Ive spoke to the supplier and they happy to refund but i thought id get advice from you guys with similiar back packs and if that pressure on the mount may lead to a problem ?

Has anyone got a back pack thats fits the P4P+ controller and AC comfortable but isnt too bulky and is a back pack rucksack type style.

I dont fancy the suit case styles. Im looking for a in between that i can use casually and when needed on a flight cabin as hand luggage too.

Thanks in advance.
2017-2-1
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi. I just bought this one for a key reason:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EVA-H ... hash=item211ac998ca

I have a backpack for my P4 which uses a hard foam with shapes cut for the craft and accessories. A perfect fit for the P4. However, when I put the P4P inside, the camera (being larger) is pressed right up against the foam wall, and I have to take care that I insert/remove the RC and craft in the right order, else the RC bumps against the camera. Also, the props are always a challenge getting in just right too.

I looked as the soft shell style backpacks (where the insert walls are soft and velcroed in place) for my new P4P, but they don't seem sturdy. The new pack above is the best of both worlds IMHO, and the props have their own comfortable place.

It should arrive by end this week. But I have to pay heaps for shipping to Australia - thank goodness the buy price is marked down...
2017-2-1
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

You could try to use foam or something to insulate the motors anyway.
2017-2-1
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 315682 ft
  • >>>
United States

The DroneTrekker definitely breaks in as well, I have been using it with my P4Pro for about 3 months now and the backpack has broken in nicely.

Jeff from PolarPro
2017-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I have the trecker, I don't think there will be a problem with pressure on the motors, I was impressed that they sent a set of motor covers, I believe it's an excellent product and will stand the test of time.. good luck..
2017-2-1
Use props
stalker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13632 ft
Netherlands

Manfrotto D1. At Aliexpress I bought silicon protector guards for the motors, cheap yellow caps. Very comfortable backpack, fits all I need.
2017-2-1
Use props
BashP4P+
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks all

I do like the bag Jeff. The size and feel. I guess by broken you mean it will shape/mould itself around the drone with use. Bed in.

I ll decide over next few days on the bag.

I picked up the polar pro cinema nd filters. Nd4 nd8 and nd16. Look forward to making some nice videos. The in built screen is very bright with standard lens. With a ND16 today it was pretty hard to see. But im totally new to drones and photo/video so more than likely my settings. With the nd4 the screen was clearer to see.

2017-2-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Post some pics of your pack and flight kit... Thanks.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-1
Use props
LAPEOS
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2349298 ft
Sweden

I have one of these:

Works great and is easy to open and close without feeling to snug.
2017-2-1
Use props
stalker
lvl.4
Netherlands

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-1 20:41
Post some pics of your pack and flight kit... Thanks.

Here's my Manfrotto D1. There's plenty of pics and vids on the internets but these might illustrate how the P4P fits: perfectly! Including 2 extra batteries in dedicated pockets.

Mafrotto D1 with P4P.jpg
caps to protect motors.jpg

P4P resting on cap in backpack

P4P resting on cap in backpack
2017-2-3
Use props
dietero
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Have  you looked at this?  http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/201804166000?
2017-2-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

stalker Posted at 2017-2-3 02:43
Here's my Manfrotto D1. There's plenty of pics and vids on the internets but these might illustrate how the P4P fits: perfectly! Including 2 extra batteries in dedicated pockets.

[view_image]

Try again, Pics aren't showing... ;-)

I am more interested in seeing members flight kits, and not the stock pics on Amazon or other websites. Haha

RedHotPoker
2017-2-3
Use props
timbo
lvl.2
United States

You need something with a hard-shell, padded backpacks are convenient but don't offer a whole lot of protection. I didn't even bother with a backpack, I have a hard shell case. It is very large and uncomfortable but it keeps the drone safe. I love my p3a but it would be awesome to have a mavic just for the portability.
2017-2-3
Use props
s0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153852 ft
United Kingdom

My Ultimaxx Pro II seems virtually identical in design and quality to the Manfrotto D1, but cost me a lot less : ) Mine even has the red piping of the Manfrotto though I see that the current model has blue piping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302165379041

Perhaps Ultimaxx manufacture them for Manfrotto?

It carries my P4 with no difficulty, with four batteries and some filters and spare propellors and so on. I reserve the top (fairly small) compartment for my phone, car-keys, a rollup cagool, and a thin fleece in case the weather changes.

2017-2-3
Use props
stalker
lvl.4
Netherlands

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-3 09:17
Try again, Pics aren't showing... ;-)

Not showing? Wanted to upload pics directly but DJI doesn't allow so I put them on google. Probably some setting that I'll check.
2017-2-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

stalker Posted at 2017-2-3 11:12
Not showing? Wanted to upload pics directly but DJI doesn't allow so I put them on google. Probably some setting that I'll check.

Thanks. Do you know the steps, to upload pics to the forum.
Click Advanced first, then the picture icon. Next Common Upload. Then choose your file.
Once you have tapped the pic you want to share, tap the blue Upload button.
When the thumbnail pic shows in the window, you need to tap the area in the thread where you wish it to appear, then touch the thumbnail, and it will load into the post.

I know it's a bit of a chore, but it works well, once you've done it a few times and the procedure becomes second nature.
Good luck.

RedHotPoker

2017-2-3
Use props
stalker
lvl.4
Netherlands

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-3 11:45
Thanks. Do you know the steps, to upload pics to the forum.
Click Advanced first, then the picture icon. Next Common Upload. Then choose your file.
Once you have tapped the pic you want to share, tap the blue Upload button.

Thanks - very useful lesson! I've edited my post above and replaced the links with common uploads.
2017-2-4
Use props
Alyn Walsh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 91407 ft
Ireland

stalker Posted at 2017-2-4 03:00
Thanks - very useful lesson! I've edited my post above and replaced the links with common uploads.

I have the Manfrotto D1 backpack and then purchased four 28mm chair leg end protectors from the local hardware store - perfect protection for the clips on the motors.
2017-2-4
Use props
BashP4P+
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I took some pics on my Iphone 5s. followed your instructions to upload the kit and the kit in the bag. Their is a pic limit of 1000 KB.  My pics are 1.6MB.  How do I get the pics smaller in size so they show here? or will i have to take them again and alter pic settings on my phone?
2017-2-4
Use props
BashP4P+
lvl.2

United Kingdom

This might work.lets see. This is using to upload direct to forum rather than via laptop.

image.jpg
image.jpg
2017-2-4
Use props
BashP4P+
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Shows how new I am to pics.. Not sure why they showing sideways.

In the pics you can see the Polar Pro Trekker V2.

Ive decided to keep it. Main purpose is to use on my back if out locally at parks etc. Its padded on the back and with the protectors its prob hopefully going to be ok.

The bag does look very good quality build. Ive got lots more space. Ive not used side pockets or front laptop section.

Also i like the fact that its not DJI branded or Manfrotto so kinda discrete.

As Jeff highlighted earlier i do feel it will bed in / break in with use. Ive seen other videos of alot of back pack type bags and they all very similiar.

#RedHotPoker - my kit is what you seen in the pics. P4P+.  2x extra batteries.

Recently picked up

ND filters 4, 8 and 16 pack. They are the vivid Cinema series ND /Pl.  to be honest i dont even know difference between the shutter cinema or these. All i read and learnt is whilst filming filters do help and give you better video.

Samung Pro 128MB

DJI Lanyard

Next investment prob be the antenna range extender. The skyreat parabolic. As read on this forum they worked quite well for another member.

Also interested in the FPV Fat Shark V3. Undecided as the in built screen is really good and bright. Will there be a big difference in the view from FPV and the screen view?

At the local flying ground a guy has the v3 so i may borrow them and see how they feel. They may be geared more towards racers..

An expensive hobby but loving it so far.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
2017-2-4
Use props
BashP4P+
lvl.2

United Kingdom

After watching all the vids on different back packs. Another backpack i thought was good is the go pro backpack version which comes with the interior all with foam and cut out ready for the P4P range.

The size mayb a little bigger so i decided to stick with this.
2017-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

stalker Posted at 2017-2-4 03:00

Thanks for taking the time to share pics of your flight kit. Glad my instructions helped, if they did. ;-)
Nice pack, looks very decent. I like those rubber bumpers for the motors. Considering the drone sits on the motor shafts, those protective pads seem appropriate. But they don't remove the weight on the motors. I would still be worried about shell cracks happening... Hopefully that doesn't affect yours.
I always wondered about having the model, sitting upside down? So actually prefer a hard side case, or the DJI branded hardshell backpack, if only to provide a better insulator.
It that pack comfortable to wear? The DJI backpack is so comfy, I often forget I'm even carrying it.... Haha

RedHotPoker

2017-2-4
Use props
BashP4P+
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Your instructions were perfect. Just my pic size was too big. It may have auto downsized using the phone direct from photo library.

When you say DJI hardshell back pack. Is that the multi functional case? That does look solid but i did read that recently they compromised on quality. A prev version was better but now its not as good. I could be wrong.
2017-2-4
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Hey, seeing as how we're now comparing the size of our backpacks, he's a pic of the one I bought to fit in my P4P. Arrived last Friday. Brilliant fit, and the case is great quality. The bag details are in my post earlier.
IMG_6781.JPG
2017-2-4
Use props
BashP4P+
lvl.2

United Kingdom

that protection does look solid on the ebay description.

I thought i had decided to keep the soft back pack.  Hmmm i think im begining to lean towards a hard shell/case..

2017-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

BashP4P+ Posted at 2017-2-4 10:56
Your instructions were perfect. Just my pic size was too big. It may have auto downsized using the phone direct from photo library.

When you say DJI hardshell back pack. Is that the multi functional case? That does look solid but i did read that recently they compromised on quality. A prev version was better but now its not as good. I could be wrong.

Yes, I have the original DJI branded hardshell backpack which was purchased for my Phantom 3 Pro' a year and a half ago. The firm plastic exterior is quite stiff, and provides plenty of protection to the quite delicate contents it stores. I can be pretty rough with my travels and handling, so a soft side case was certainly out of the question for me. I only wish it had an extra layer of Kevlar fabric, to stop any bullets from penetrating it, from behind.  Crossbow bolts too. Haha
Yes, there is a new DJI backpack that looks quite awesome, but apparently, some here got a switcheroo bag, that looks like a totally different brand and style from it. Not sure where that inferior case, became the one sent out in place of the ones pictured on the DJI store website. That seems like a real bad corporate decision. Whom ever made that replacement available, was sadly mistaken. Not a good creative business practice to perform on a regular basis, that's for sure. Anyway, with the gracious help of our forum mods, the original bags are being sent out, and that makes me feel good about DJI for being a straight ahead company. Just a few weeks of back and forth mailing and time, wasted for the customers.
Oh well. Glad it wasn't Santa Claus, helper elves doing that shipping. ;-)
Hopefully, that never happens again.  

The backpacks shown in this thread seem quite nice, and I commend you for choosing wisely.

I also purchased a rugged Canadian made Plasticase Nanuk 945 Hardside case. It's a mini Sherman tank, without the Nanuk 950 wheels.  Very tough, water and dust proof, with a pressure valve for airline travel.
It could withstand a major hit, without damage to the contents, and that makes me feel secure with it.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-4 16:13
Hey, seeing as how we're now comparing the size of our backpacks, he's a pic of the one I bought to fit in my P4P. Arrived last Friday. Brilliant fit, and the case is great quality. The bag details are in my post earlier.

You have a very decent looking bag there too. That looks like it will do the job intended, without a problem or concern, for protection and safety for your drone and RC. I lIke the internal foam, the way it's cut out, everything fits like a kid glove. ;-) thanks for sharing it with the forum.

There must be quite a few nice drone bags that are adequately built, along with a bunch of cheaper, inferior cases and backpacks, that I would personally never even give a second look. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-4
Use props
BashP4P+
lvl.2

United Kingdom

#RedHotPoker. you sure have talked convinced me into a hardshell case or fully hardshell backpack

Looking at the vids for the hardshell by DJI. The multi functional one is not fully hardshell. The sides are soft. And the back side of it still can put pressure on drone.

They used to do a full hardshell. Its not showing up under phantom 4 accessories.

It would be nice to see more pics of other members bags/cases. Actual pics with the AC and RC inside as opposed to stock images

2017-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

BashP4P+ Posted at 2017-2-4 19:10
#RedHotPoker. you sure have talked convinced me into a hardshell case or fully hardshell backpack

Looking at the vids for the hardshell by DJI. The multi functional one is not fully hardshell. The sides are soft. And the back side of it still can put pressure on drone.

If you like, you can see my hardside Nanuk 945 in post #54 here:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-75848-1-1.html
Post pics of your flight kits in thee fleet thread too, guys. Ha

The original Phantom 3 hardshell backpack offered by DJI, is an awesome, tough enough bag, that does offer decent protection.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-4
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-4 18:39
You have a very decent looking bag there too. That looks like it will do the job intended, without a problem or concern, for protection and safety for your drone and RC. I lIke the internal foam, the way it's cut out, everything fits like a kid glove. ;-) thanks for sharing it with the forum.

There must be quite a few nice drone bags that are adequately built, along with a bunch of cheaper, inferior cases and backpacks, that I would personally never even give a second look. ;-)

Yep, a tight fit with plenty of space for ALL components and accessories. The foam walls are slotted together and so the spaces are snug but with straight angles. This means that the foam insert has not been cut to fit shapes, which allows more space to be available for storage.

I have a formed foam, soft-shelled backpack for my P4, but it doesn't accommodate the larger P4P camera well. The camera is pushed hard against the foam, and I have to remember to put in/take out the RC in the right order else it thumps against the camera. Don't like when that happens, so decided to invest in a pack with more space for the camera, and the Bestem Aerial (above) foots the bill well.

In the Bestem, the P4P has heaps of room at the front to accommodate the camera (see my photo), with the feet locked into foam slots and the arms locked into the corners of the square. I also like the individual pouches for each set of props - no more mixing up (nice to know, should one set have helped me to do some accidental hedge pruning).

The zip is also waterproof. You may note in the photo that the zip pulls the waterproof edging over the zip as it goes.

The only negative is the additional weight, as it is a hard shell case. Although it's still manageable as a backpack. I'm very happy with the quality and cost of the P4/P case from Bestem.
2017-2-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Honestly, I had never heard of Bestem, but it looks very well designed and decently manufactured. I know that having a hard side case isn't always the easiest way to transport a drone, particularly if you're traveling on foot, while hiking or even biking. I have the DJI hardshell backpack for the convenience when necessity calls for it. But actually prefer my Nanuk 945 hard side case, as it provides much better protection, in my travels. I "rYde" a '13 Can Am SpYder RS-S Roadster, and our roads aren't the best, even for a capital city. So that Nanuk 945 is optimal for me. I can strap it down to the rear passenger seat, and be on my way. I also appreciate that it has 6 pre cut slots for extra batteries, aside from the one already in the drone. Now I just need to acquire three more flight packs for a total of seven, and I'll be set.
You can see my case in the fleet thread I created. In that thread, you can see some of the awesome case choices, others on the forum have chosen. There are certainly a wide variety of them available.
By visiting Amazon or even the eBay ads, you can see just how many different variances there are, on the drone case market. I lost count, of the nice ones. And there are probably many more not seen yet. Not to mention the cheaper, poorly manufactured ones, that are also available, for anyone who wishes to spend far less money. I suppose anything nearly beats the cardboard box that the Phantom 3 Pro' was shipped in. Obviously, people must have complained over that, as DJI brought out the foam case, for the Phantom 4. That would have been decent enough, for a starter case.
Thanks for taking the time to share your personal thoughts and findings with the Bestem case. Others here may find that one appealing, and buy one for their own drone carrying and storage requirements.

I hope yours lasts you as long as you want it and need it to...

RedHotPoker
2017-2-5
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-5 15:03
Honestly, I had never heard of Bestem, but it looks very well designed and decently manufactured. I know that having a hard side case isn't always the easiest way to transport a drone, particularly if you're traveling on foot, while hiking or even biking. I have the DJI hardshell backpack for the convenience when necessity calls for it. But actually prefer my Nanuk 945 hard side case, as it provides much better protection, in my travels. I "rYde" a '13 Can Am SpYder RS-S Roadster, and our roads aren't the best, even for a capital city. So that Nanuk 945 is optimal for me. I can strap it down to the rear passenger seat, and be on my way. I also appreciate that it has 6 pre cut slots for extra batteries, aside from the one already in the drone. Now I just need to acquire three more flight packs for a total of seven, and I'll be set.
You can see my case in the fleet thread I created. In that thread, you can see some of the awesome case choices, others on the forum have chosen. There are certainly a wide variety of them available.
By visiting Amazon or even the eBay ads, you can see just how many different variances there are, on the drone case market. I lost count, of the nice ones. And there are probably many more not seen yet. Not to mention the cheaper, poorly manufactured ones, that are also available, for anyone who wishes to spend far less money. I suppose anything nearly beats the cardboard box that the Phantom 3 Pro' was shipped in. Obviously, people must have complained over that, as DJI brought out the foam case, for the Phantom 4. That would have been decent enough, for a starter case.

Hi again. Can you provide the link to the thread you referenced please? I'd be interested to review, and now I'm curious about your's.

Asking that, what I was trying to highlight is that it's now not enough to check whether the case is compatible with the P3/P4, but compatible with the P4P. Some case inserts are cut to fit, and the P4P does have a larger camera. Others may not mind a veeeery snug fit, but anything that snug can't always be good should you be using the gimbal guard and foam gimbal transport brace, as that'll be putting the gimbal mechanism on constant pressure.

Anyway, this is a good thread. Very relevant to many.
2017-2-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-5 15:27
Hi again. Can you provide the link to the thread you referenced please? I'd be interested to review, and now I'm curious about your's.

Asking that, what I was trying to highlight is that it's now not enough to check whether the case is compatible with the P3/P4, but compatible with the P4P. Some case inserts are cut to fit, and the P4P does have a larger camera. Others may not mind a veeeery snug fit, but anything that snug can't always be good should you be using the gimbal guard and foam gimbal transport brace, as that'll be putting the gimbal mechanism on constant pressure.

See above! Post #30 of this thread, or visit http://forum.dji.com/thread-75848-1-1.html and post #54

If you find a case too tight for your camera, you could always use a razor shaving sharp scalpel, to trim a bit at a time, until it fits suitably snug.Or just buy a case that is made specifically for the Phantom 4 Pro drone/camera dimensions. Measure twice, and cut once.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-5
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-5 15:38
See above! Post #30 of this thread, or visit http://forum.dji.com/thread-75848-1-1.html and post #54

Oops. Missed that on my little iPhone screen... {:4_177:}
2017-2-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-5 15:38
Oops. Missed that on my little iPhone screen...

Eh, that's ok bud, I don't mind sharing the link again with you. ;-)

I love seeing others various drones, RC helicopters and variety of flight kits, including the backpacks and hard side cases we all use, to protect our investment.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules