Is GPS required
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
QR7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 120299 ft
United States

New to the hobby and still gathering knowledge prior to taking my P3A out. I have a ipad mini with GPS but only if connected to a wifi network.
If i cache the map of the area im going to be flying in at home on my wifi network and then drive to that area and use the ipad mini without GPS will my home point be recorded ? Do you need GPS to properly fly the P3A ?
2017-2-1
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

From what I have experienced, you need the GPS to be able to use the functions in "F" mode. If you cache your area and don't turn off your I-pad, I think you will be able to view the area ok in the maps.
2017-2-1
Use props
SimonH78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The drone uses gps to aid flight - you don't need it on the ipad to work
2017-2-1
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Yes, your homepoint will be recorded wonderfully because the AC has it's own GPS module.  You don't need GPS on your iPad or tablet unless you want to reset the homepoint to your current position.  For example, you're on the move, walking along or whatever, so you would want to reset the homepoint to your iPad's current position periodically since you don't want it RTHing and flying home a mile behind you.  
Otherwise if you're simply standing in one spot, there's no real reason to have GPS on your iPad, tablet, etc.  
2017-2-1
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft
United States

And be Vary careful with rth. It's been said there's a glitch when it returns to home and switches home point 2 miles away from you and you can lose it so always keep and eye on it home point and start off point should have been the same
2017-2-1
Use props
marvnl
lvl.1
Flight distance : 59213 ft
Netherlands

Hi Guys! I am new to this whole drone thing. I checked out many beautiful videos of landscapes from many drones and the Phantom had the best and most stable shots in my opinion (for a drone in its price range). Very nice work DJI and thank you for the nice camera hardware! Last week I got the Phantom 3 4K. As I said, nice camera, 4k, very stable image and flight time is great and it has a tracking function. Threads are my most important things for a drone. But, I misted out on the deep study of the tracking ability. I saw a youtube clip that showed me active travcking on a P3 4K and it looked great. But Now that I have this drone, it immediately get GPS single loss. When I start it al up it says that I have "Satellite Position Off. Fly with caution" and a very persistent computer voice that says "Atti mode" all the time right after I turn it on. Ofcourse it is set on F mode, because I want to play with the Active tracking an Follow me abilities, but I cant because the GPS is weak no matter at what open space I fly until now. I expected to this drone to fly almost everywhere so it can make nice videos too. But if the GPS issue is so weak (yes it is switched on on my IPhone 7 plus, firmware is up to date, recalibrated all, restart hardware, changed locations wide open spaces). I never got a good gps signal. So I started Googleling this GPS issue and it turns out that it a really common issue.
What is the real issue about this low GPS? Is it the remote controller, my phone, the drone maybe, software issue? I simply think that it SHOULD work most of all places, so you can used all abilities that I payed for.
Is this an issue that DJI really acknowledged and they are working on a structural solution? Or is this something that they leave to us to solve? Why is it such a big issue?
Will a fuction like active tracking (obstical tracking) be come to the P3 4K addition? I mean, its not really something new. This topic filled me in: https://forum.dji.com/thread-44206-1-1.html
Why not for the DJI app for the P3 4K?
I find the GPS loss issue for this drone really a bother sinds Its a really important function for this drone. So my main question is, is DJI working on a weak GPS solution and of so, is it a priority for them to solve this issue?

Sorry for the long story, but since I am new here, I am unable to start a topic and I cant find a way to win some points yet.
2017-2-1
Use props
QR7
lvl.2
United States

Steve-76 Posted at 2017-2-1 10:28
And be Vary careful with rth. It's been said there's a glitch when it returns to home and switches home point 2 miles away from you and you can lose it so always keep and eye on it home point and start off point should have been the same

Thanks , iam bit nervous with trying the RTH without GPS working on my mini ipad
2017-2-1
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

QR7 Posted at 2017-2-1 14:03
Thanks , iam bit nervous with trying the RTH without GPS working on my mini ipad

Why? RTH will work even if you switch the controller and iPad off and put them down a hole. It is the built-in GPS in the aircraft that does the work, it has nothing to do with your iPad. When you start the motors, the GPS receiver in the aircraft records its position, and it is that position it will return to.
2017-2-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Whether your iPad has GPS or not makes no difference.
Your Phantom has a very good GPS receiver of it's own and it uses that to record its home point and all flight functions.
Go out and practice RTH and learn what it does and how it does it.
2017-2-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

marvnl Posted at 2017-2-1 13:57
Hi Guys! I am new to this whole drone thing. I checked out many beautiful videos of landscapes from many drones and the Phantom had the best and most stable shots in my opinion (for a drone in its price range). Very nice work DJI and thank you for the nice camera hardware! Last week I got the Phantom 3 4K. As I said, nice camera, 4k, very stable image and flight time is great and it has a tracking function. Threads are my most important things for a drone. But, I misted out on the deep study of the tracking ability. I saw a youtube clip that showed me active travcking on a P3 4K and it looked great. But Now that I have this drone, it immediately get GPS single loss. When I start it al up it says that I have "Satellite Position Off. Fly with caution" and a very persistent computer voice that says "Atti mode" all the time right after I turn it on. Ofcourse it is set on F mode, because I want to play with the Active tracking an Follow me abilities, but I cant because the GPS is weak no matter at what open space I fly until now. I expected to this drone to fly almost everywhere so it can make nice videos too. But if the GPS issue is so weak (yes it is switched on on my IPhone 7 plus, firmware is up to date, recalibrated all, restart hardware, changed locations wide open spaces). I never got a good gps signal. So I started Googleling this GPS issue and it turns out that it a really common issue.
What is the real issue about this low GPS? Is it the remote controller, my phone, the drone maybe, software issue? I simply think that it SHOULD work most of all places, so you can used all abilities that I payed for.
Is this an issue that DJI really acknowledged and they are working on a structural solution? Or is this something that they leave to us to solve? Why is it such a big issue?

You should be able to start a new thread by going back to the Phantom forum start page and clibking on the blue New Thread icon in the top right.
It's quite normal to get a Satellite Position Off message when you first power on and for this to go away as your Phantom locks on to more satellites.
GPS Weak messages sound like they relate to the GPS signal your phone is getting.
Forget about Follow-Me for now and see if your Phantom works properly in P-GPS mode.
To get good satellite reception, the Phantom (or your phone) needs a good unobstructed view of the sky.
If you are under a roof or close to trees, buildings etc with a lot of sky blocked this will reduce the number of satellites your Phantom can see.
2017-2-1
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

Does the Phone have to be connected to the Controller? Does the controller have gps for follow me?
2017-2-1
Use props
Kirk2579
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

there is absolutely no connection to RTH and atablet having gps or not.

You do know one does not need ever use RTH ,
it seems new users inmediatley want to do so.
To me take off, I fly  I land.
But I still have my p3p over a year later ........

Phantoms have a full GPS system builtin. It doesnt use the tablet for basic home point

good luck and have fun flying
2017-2-1
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KevDrones Posted at 2017-2-1 14:39
Does the Phone have to be connected to the Controller? Does the controller have gps for follow me?

The phone or tablet is normally connected to the RC via USB cable if it's a P3 Pro or P3 Advanced, the P3 Standard uses a wifi link to phone/tablet. The phone or tablet needs GPS if you want to use 'follow me'. If 'Follow Me' or 'Set RTH to controller position' is not required then all other intelligent flight modes should work without requiring GPS. As said above the initial home position is set by the aircraft GPS when the motors are armed.

Edit:- From a practicle point of view the phone or tablet would always be connected to the RC for control information and video. But the RC controls the aircraft motion, and can work without the phone/tablet if needed (if they crash for example).
2017-2-1
Use props
QR7
lvl.2
United States

Kirk2579 Posted at 2017-2-1 14:53
there is absolutely no connection to RTH and atablet having gps or not.

Thanks and i understand you dont have to use RTH all the time. I was actually going to post another question  asking why so many users are using RTH so frequently especially with the fly away issues in the app
2017-2-1
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
United States

QR7 Posted at 2017-2-1 15:27
Thanks and i understand you dont have to use RTH all the time. I was actually going to post another question  asking why so many users are using RTH so frequently especially with the fly away issues in the app

Same, I dont get why we would use return to home or push the limits on the range.
2017-2-1
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
United States

How much is the full amount of satellites we can have?
2017-2-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

KevDrones Posted at 2017-2-1 15:46
Same, I dont get why we would use return to home or push the limits on the range.

"Same, I dont get why we would use return to home"

RTH is one of the most important operations to learn and understand.
It is very reliable and useful but if you ignore it until the day you need it, you probably won't come home with your Phantom.

"How much is the full amount of satellites we can have?"

If you have a Standard the number may be close to 12.
If you fly one of the newer Phantoms, you can pick up around 20 sats at times.
2017-2-1
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
United States

Thanks, it was for the Phantom 3 Standard.
2017-2-1
Use props
Kirk2579
lvl.4
United States

QR7 Posted at 2017-2-1 15:27

I have wondered that myself......
2017-2-1
Use props
Kirk2579
lvl.4
United States

KevDrones Posted at 2017-2-1 15:46

use it, learn it, so when you need it , it will work correctly

but some seem to use it without knowing about its limits , settings or even how to fly the quad in general
that usually is a great way to not keep it long.

good luck and have fun flying!
2017-2-1
Use props
djiuser_4ulg5IdvD9bq
New

United Kingdom

Hi, I've recently brought my DJI phantom 3 second hand.It doesn't have a GPS module will it still be able to take off without it
2020-12-25
Use props
djiuser_4ulg5IdvD9bq
New

United Kingdom

Hi, I've recently brought my DJI phantom 3 second hand.It doesn't have a GPS module will it still be able to take off without it
2020-12-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_4ulg5IdvD9bq Posted at 12-25 18:00

Hi, I've recently brought my DJI phantom 3 second hand.
It doesn't have a GPS module will it still be able to take off without it.

It should be pretty easy to find out.
Are you sure the GPS antenna has been removed from the Phantom?
You really need it for flying, so it might be time to go shopping.
2020-12-25
Use props
cheddar-man
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44062 ft

United Kingdom

Thanks , iam bit nervous with trying the RTH without GPS working on my mini ipad

Don't be nervous, the RTH function will work perfectly as long as the drone has a good GPS signal, as displayed at the top of the screen on your monitor, and that you get the "Home Point updated/recorded" message when everything locks in before taking off.
2020-12-26
Use props
cheddar-man
lvl.4

United Kingdom

KevDrones Posted at 2017-2-1 16:38
How much is the full amount of satellites we can have?

There are usually 30 GPS satellites going around with 24 active at any one time.
Any instrument using the satellites only need 4 to give an accurate location.
You should typically see 10 or more satellites available.
2020-12-26
Use props
cheddar-man
lvl.4

United Kingdom

djiuser_4ulg5IdvD9bq Posted at 12-25 18:00

How do you know it hasn't got a GPS module, have you opened it?
Yes it will still fly but will tend to be skittish as it uses GPS for position and altitude, without it YOU are it's GPS!!   

FROM THE MANUAL
P-mode (Positioning): P-mode works best when the GPS signal is strong. There are three different
versions of P-mode, which will be automatically selected by the Phantom 3 Advanced depending on GPS
signal strength and the Vision Positioning sensors:
P-GPS: GPS and Vision Positioning both are available; the aircraft is using GPS for positioning.
P-OPTI: Vision Positioning is available but a sufficient GPS signal is not available. Aircraft is using
only Vision Positioning for position holding.
P-ATTI: Neither GPS nor Vision Positioning is available, the aircraft is using only its barometer for
positioning, so only altitude is maintained.

A-mode (Attitude): GPS and Vision Positioning System are not used for stabilization. The aircraft uses
only its barometer to stabilize. The aircraft can automatically return to the Home Point if remote controller
signal is lost and the Home Point was recorded successfully.

F-mode (Function): Intelligent Orientation Control (IOC) is activated in this mode. For more information
about IOC, refer to the IOC section in the Appendix.
By default, the Flight Mode Switch is locked to P-mode. To unlock other flight modes, launch the DJI Pilot
app, enter the “Camera” page, and tap “Mode”, then activate “Multiple Flight Mode”.
2020-12-26
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

For clarity, yes, you need a working module.  No Phantom will fly without a working module.  It's designed that way deliberately.  You can block the signal with smashed beer cans or whatever and fly, but you can't fly with a missing or non-working module.  
2020-12-27
Use props
cheddar-man
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Mark The Droner Posted at 12-27 10:09
For clarity, yes, you need a working module.  No Phantom will fly without a working module.  It's designed that way deliberately.  You can block the signal with smashed beer cans or whatever and fly, but you can't fly with a missing or non-working module.

"The Droner", are you talking GPS module? In that case I think you'll find your statement is incorrect. The drone will fly quite happily without GPS.
Most of the smaller drones out there do not have GPS, I've had several before upgrading to a Phantom.
In "A" mode (toggle switch on the RC in the middle) GPS and the VPS system is inactive, only the barometer is active, the pilot is in charge of everything else.

Flying in "A" mode is good practice at real flying where only the barometer is used by the drone for positioning vertically, like flying a model aircraft, No GPS or positioning systems there!

PLease read this link which supports my statement.

Please everybody starting this hobby, READ THE MANUAL, it's all explained in there!
2020-12-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

cheddar-man Posted at 12-28 00:40
"The Droner", are you talking GPS module? In that case I think you'll find your statement is incorrect. The drone will fly quite happily without GPS.
Most of the smaller drones out there do not have GPS, I've had several before upgrading to a Phantom.
In "A" mode (toggle switch on the RC in the middle) GPS and the VPS system is inactive, only the barometer is active, the pilot is in charge of everything else.

"The Droner", are you talking GPS module? In that case I think you'll find your statement is incorrect.
He's not saying the drone cannot fly without GPS.
Every Phantom owner knows you can fly in atti mode.
He's saying that without a GPS receiver connected, the Phantom won't take off.
I've never tried, so I cannot confirm but for the OP it should be a simple matter to test.
2020-12-28
Use props
cheddar-man
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Ah, I see what you mean. sorry Mark, I'm not going to open my drone up to disconnect the module, I'll let the OP try it out!
2020-12-28
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Haha - thanks all.  The module must be connected and working to fly.  A bad cable, a disconnected cable, a bad module, etc. and it won't fly.  Thanks
2020-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules