Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha,

The future is here!  Drone coverage of surfing, long surfing.

https://www.facebook.com/brett.lickle/videos/10154780736767110/

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Eh Ken, Very nice. You sure have the lovely location. Thanks

Makes me want to go swimming. Haha

RedHotPoker

2017-2-1
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-1 14:42
Eh Ken, Very nice. You sure have the lovely location. Thanks

Aloha RedHot,

Did you notice the Green Sea Turtle at 18 seconds in the first one?  It is int he display shot.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-1 14:46
Aloha RedHot,

Did you notice the Green Sea Turtle at 18 seconds in the first one?  It is int he display shot.

Yeah, but only after you mentioned it. That's cool.

Are they edible? Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-2-1
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

How not to film at sea.

https://www.facebook.com/windzonerz/videos/1099727400136407/
2017-2-1
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-1 15:11
How not to film at sea.

https://www.facebook.com/windzonerz/videos/1099727400136407/

Aloha blackcrusader,

Your noir humor is well taken!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-1
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-1 14:48
Yeah, but only after you mentioned it. That's cool.

Are they edible? Ha

Aloha RedHot,

Yes, but they became endangered, as a result so not they are a protected species.  You cannot even ride them anymore.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-1
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

MMmm Grren Turtle Curry.
2017-2-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-1 15:25
Aloha RedHot,

Yes, but they became endangered, as a result so not they are a protected species.  You cannot even ride them anymore.

Oh ok..I had Just thought of that silly joke.
Waiter, bring me some turtle soup. And make it snappy. Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-2-1
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Cabansail Posted at 2017-2-1 15:56
MMmm Grren Turtle Curry.

Aloha Caban,

Now be nice, they are endangered.  That does not mean they taste better that way!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-1
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-1 17:48
Oh ok..I had Just thought of that silly joke.
Waiter, bring me some turtle soup. And make it snappy. Ha

Aloha RedHot,

Not silly, just plain bad.  Be nice, I know it is hard (at least for me).  Snappy, sheesh!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-1 17:58
Aloha Caban,

Now be nice, they are endangered.  That does not mean they taste better that way!

I'm Joking of course, Have you tried the snowy owl stew? Or the roast eagle? Haha

No, me either... ;-)

& Never will ever...

RedHotPoker
2017-2-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-1 18:01
Aloha RedHot,

Not silly, just plain bad.  Be nice, I know it is hard (at least for me).  Snappy, sheesh!

Yeah, you're right. Not funny at all. But that joke was around well before the endangered numbers. Like when there were plenty of them swimming the ocean blue...

A friends wife has a couple of growing turtles in a rather large aquarium, that are kind of cool...
She even has a turtle tattoo, to show her love of them... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-1
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

I did see a Loggerhead Turtle laying eggs just recently. They are very endangered.
DCC_4631.jpg
DCC_4614.jpg
DCC_4592.jpg
2017-2-1
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-1 18:10
Yeah, you're right. Not funny at all. But that joke was around well before the endangered numbers. Like when there were plenty of them swimming the ocean blue...

A friends wife has a couple of growing turtles in a rather large aquarium, that are kind of cool...

Aloha RedHot,

Next time you see your friends wife ask her how the "Honu" are doing.  Honu is Hawai'ian for sea turtle.  When she looks at you like you are from another planet, say, "Like your tatoo."  Then she will realize you are not from another planet but another island, unless she always looks at you like you are from another planet.  I get a lot of that!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-1 18:37
Aloha RedHot,

Next time you see your friends wife ask her how the "Honu" are doing.  Honu is Hawai'ian for sea turtle.  When she looks at you like you are from another planet, say, "Like your tatoo."  Then she will realize you are not from another planet but another island, unless she always looks at you like you are from another planet.  I get a lot of that!

Yes, perhaps a different Galaxy, far away.

Ah, but they don't have sea turtles on my home planet of Niberu... Haha

RedHotPoker
2017-2-1
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Cabansail Posted at 2017-2-1 18:36
I did see a Loggerhead Turtle laying eggs just recently. They are very endangered.

Aloha Caban,

Yeah, you got to watch where you are walking on the beach at night sometimes.  Oops!  There went a generation.  Aak.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-1
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-1 18:42
Yes, perhaps a different Galaxy, far away.

Ah, but they don't have sea turtles on my home planet of Niberu... Haha

Aloha RedHot,

That makes eating out a bit of a problem, "Waiter, bring me some turtle soup. And make it snappy."

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-1 18:45
Aloha RedHot,

That makes eating out a bit of a problem, "Waiter, bring me some turtle soup. And make it snappy."

Yeah, if it was my style, it would be difficult. But I'm a polite diner. Haha

Besides that, I don't dine out very much, with my salt restricted diet... ;-)

I tried shark fin once, and that was just nasty. Much prefer my available Canadian fish...

RedHotPoker
2017-2-1
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-1 19:12
Yeah, if it was my style, it would be difficult. But I'm a polite diner. Haha

Besides that, I don't dine out very much, with my salt restricted diet... ;-)

Aloha RedHot,

Finning sharks, very bad.  They catch the shark, cut off the fins and put it back in the water.  Apparently, no one told them it is the teeth that regrow, not the fins.  Not good to loose a top predator.  Bad for the ecosystem.  Good thing the soup tasted nasty.  It is illegal in Hawai'i now.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-1 19:18
Aloha RedHot,

Finning sharks, very bad.  They catch the shark, cut off the fins and put it back in the water.  Apparently, no one told them it is the teeth that regrow, not the fins.  Not good to loose a top predator.  Bad for the ecosystem.  Good thing the soup tasted nasty.  It is illegal in Hawai'i now.

I think shark fin became very popular after Jaws the movie, was such a big hit.

Great whites are such a Deadly Hunter, I wouldn't wish to be in their grasp, as they aren't very discriminating. ;-)

Good thing that fishing for them isn't as popular as it once was.

Remember Bethany Hamilton? Even after losing an arm to a hungry shark, she went back to her love of surfing...More courage than might have, after surviving that ordeal.

RedHotPoker

2017-2-1
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

We get Shark Fillet in the fish shops here a lot.

Sometimes the taste has overtones of "Surfer"
2017-2-1
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-1 19:23
I think shark fin became very popular after Jaws the movie, was such a big hit.

Great whites are such a Deadly Hunter, I wouldn't wish to be in their grasp, as they aren't very discriminating. ;-)

Aloha RedHot,

And Hamilton gave up shark fin soup to!  Sharks are actually quite intelligent, they are not mindless killers.  One guy in California helped a Great White off the coast where he paddles kayak and the appreciated it.  Until it went on its annual migration the Great White would not leave the guy alone.  No body wanted to go paddling with him anymore.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-1 19:39
Aloha RedHot,

And Hamilton gave up shark fin soup to!  Sharks are actually quite intelligent, they are not mindless killers.  One guy in California helped a Great White off the coast where he paddles kayak and the appreciated it.  Until it went on its annual migration the Great White would not leave the guy alone.  No body wanted to go paddling with him anymore.

You gotta give the gal a hand for bravery. ;-)

If I knew there were sharks in the water, you wouldn't get me off of the beach...

Not without a steel shark proof cage around me. Hahaha

Yes, most animals are much smarter than we give them credit for...
We are not at the top of the food chain.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-1
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Cabansail Posted at 2017-2-1 19:25
We get Shark Fillet in the fish shops here a lot.

Sometimes the taste has overtones of "Surfer"

Aloha Caban,

The fishcake in Japan is usually made out of shark.  Back in the early 70s, I cut up two 8 foot Hammerheads for a shark eating program at the UH.  Made five pound fillets out of them.  After leaving them in saltwater (seawater) over night, to neutralize the high urea content, they could be prepared for a barbeque.  Marinating smaller cuts overnight in Italian dressing was the best.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-1
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.
2017-2-1
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-1 22:20
Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

Aloha Jamie,

Glad to see someone is holding the fort during the New Years Celebration!  Pretty wild, did you look at the Facebook one.  That is one long ride!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-1 22:39
Aloha Jamie,

Glad to see someone is holding the fort during the New Years Celebration!  Pretty wild, did you look at the Facebook one.  That is one long ride!

Ken, do also you surf the big waves, or more into hanging back, around on the beach with your drone? ;-)

Wish I could have been there to attend the world drone racing competition. That would have been fun for me.

RedHotPoker

2017-2-2
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-2 03:00
Ken, do also you surf the big waves, or more into hanging back, around on the beach with your drone? ;-)

Aloha RedHot,

Back in the day I did.  18 or so feet at Waimea.  Never got out in anything over twenty.  Tubes big enough to drive a bus through after an elevator drop.  11 foot Sunset lefts.  My favorite was Laniakea at 8-10 feet. and Chuns all night.  Those were the days.   It got too crowded for me.  I was legally blind at the time.  Coke bottle glasses.

I still have not videoed any surfing yet.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-2 03:17
Aloha RedHot,

Back in the day I did.  18 or so feet at Waimea.  Never got out in anything over twenty.  Tubes big enough to drive a bus through after an elevator drop.  11 foot Sunset lefts.  My favorite was Laniakea at 8-10 feet. and Chuns all night.  Those were the days.   It got too crowded for me.  I was legally blind at the time.  Coke bottle glasses.

That's cool, must have been a lot of fun. Certainly a lot of beauty, walking around,

Do you fish off of the shore? I think I could eat fresh fish everyday, if it was readily available. ;-)

Guessing, I know about as much about the islands as you would in our wilderness areas.

We have no land sharks, just big mean bears. Haha

RedHotPoker
2017-2-2
Use props
fredq2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 133287 ft
United States

Turtle was cool. My other thought was he needs a longer paddle once he got going.
2017-2-2
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Cabansail Posted at 2017-2-1 18:36

That's neat, though I'd reckon that having all those people crowding around her probably didn't help in the stress department. At the same time, though, the turtle must be used to people by now if she didn't try to bolt out of there.
2017-2-2
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-1 22:39
Aloha Jamie,

Yea that was pretty gnarly! Would loved to have seen the drone's POV.
2017-2-2
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-2 11:17
That's neat, though I'd reckon that having all those people crowding around her probably didn't help in the stress department. At the same time, though, the turtle must be used to people by now if she didn't try to bolt out of there.

The viewing is very well managed. Until she is laying eggs nobody is allowed in front, so she cannot see them. On land she cannot hear so as far as hse is concerned it's a vacant beach. Once they are laying they go into a sort of trance and are unaware of what is going on around them. On this occasion they were doing some studies and she received an ultrasound. It was her third batch of eggs this season and had enough for two more a fortnight apart. On average about 127 eggs per batch and about 80% will hatch but only 0.1% of those will survive to maturity.
We followed her back down to the surf and waved her goodbye while she went back to sea.
2017-2-2
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-2 03:49
That's cool, must have been a lot of fun. Certainly a lot of beauty, walking around,

Do you fish off of the shore? I think I could eat fresh fish everyday, if it was readily available. ;-)

Aloha RedHot,

Actually, spearfishing mostly when needed.  I thought you had attorneys there in Canada.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-2
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fredq2 Posted at 2017-2-2 03:57
Turtle was cool. My other thought was he needs a longer paddle once he got going.

Aloha fred,

The secret to long rides like that is to go out with the rip or walk up the beach to a good launch spot near the take-off point.  Depends on swell direction.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-2
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-2 11:17

Aloha Jamie,

At one time loose dogs were a problem here in Hawai'i when the turtles were nesting.  Now it is feral cats and nesting sea birds.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-2
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Cabansail Posted at 2017-2-2 12:45
The viewing is very well managed. Until she is laying eggs nobody is allowed in front, so she cannot see them. On land she cannot hear so as far as hse is concerned it's a vacant beach. Once they are laying they go into a sort of trance and are unaware of what is going on around them. On this occasion they were doing some studies and she received an ultrasound. It was her third batch of eggs this season and had enough for two more a fortnight apart. On average about 127 eggs per batch and about 80% will hatch but only 0.1% of those will survive to maturity.
We followed her back down to the surf and waved her goodbye while she went back to sea.

Aloha Caban,

Are dingos and other wildlife a problem during nesting?

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-2 14:22
Aloha RedHot,

Actually, spearfishing mostly when needed.  I thought you had attorneys there in Canada.

Speaking of land sharks? Well yeah, I call it Legal Aid... Haha

Yes, We have politicians here  too. Haha
Beat them over the head like a baby seal...  J/K

All though our young and eager Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is actually pretty swell, even if he does have some unscrupulous behaviors.

Spear fishing sounds like a close encounter. Much prefer bow fishing, with a strong monofilament line on the arrow to retrieve the catch. Ha

RedHotPoker

2017-2-2
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-2 14:36
Aloha Caban,

Are dingos and other wildlife a problem during nesting?

They can be.

The area I was in was Mons Repos near Bundaberg Qld.

The beach there is controlled and there are Rangers, Volunteers and Tourists out every night of the nesting and hatching seasons. This keeps the predators away. Apparently the biggest threat is dogs and cats, both feral and domestic.
The work to save these turtles began in the 80's and the numbers are starting to rise now. This will be the increased numbers of hatchlings surviving back then which are now reaching maturity. They also fought to stop coastal development along that beach as the lights would have hindered the turtle nesting.
2017-2-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules