Multiple camera/gimbal options
5401 4 2017-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans53282b46
lvl.2
United States

I'd like to take RGB and multispectral images simultaneously with separate sensors (possibly a Sony a5100 and MicaSense RedEdge) on gimbals.  Can I mount two gimbals on a M100 or M600 and get the sensors to trigger simultaneously?  Both would be NADIR.  Guessing gimbals may be overkill, but I'd prefer to reduce issues from roll and pitch if possible.  I'm thinking I may be able to just pigtail them to a single controller.  I don't know if that's possible or if a mounting configuration would work.  I'd  want to use the RGB camera for FPV.  Guessing that's possible with Lightbridge?
2017-2-1
Use props
Hawk62_Engineer
lvl.1

South Africa

Hey Fans

So we had a simmilar application with our M600 Platform.
We needed to use an Optical camera and a Thermal camera, triggering at the same time with the same gimbal pitch angle.
After lots of fustration with LB2 not being able to dual feed video and the A3 F-ports funtionality not happening, we decided to use a STM board and tapped into the SDK for the additional features.

We now have a Rx100 optical camera and a Flir Thermal camera on a single gimbal. The trigger functions are fired from the STM board.

The dual video feed was also tricky as the LB2 can only Picture in Picture with a DJI gimbal and either the AV or HDMI source. We ended up running a Relay on the video and feeding the LB2 with 1 AV source and used the STM board to switch the relay, which switched the video source from the Optical or the thermal camera.

Running dual gimbals off a single Simple BGC board is most probably not do-able.
For accuracy I would suggest a single gimbal with both cameras mounted, should also help with post processing.

Hope this helps!
Regards
2017-2-2
Use props
ricci2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61158 ft
  • >>>
France

Hi Hawk,
I run a X5 plus a optrs thermal both live feed, one uses the hdmi and the x5 as normal. Then the slider to 50% "EX, LB " and both feeds are available. I use a second controller and iPad to have both outputs available. down side is the thermal is a fixed lens but because its wide angle and the data is post processed, its easy to analyse and edit picture in picture if needed.
This is on a M600.

Ricci
2017-2-2
Use props
fans53282b46
lvl.2
United States

Sounds like a single gimbal is the way to go.  Which gimbal are you using and/or recommend for the RedEdge and either a Sony QX1 or a5100?  Total weight would be <500 grams.  All cameras can be powered externally.

I only need video feed from the Optical camera.  Looks like that's an easy implementation with the a5100 and LB2 over HDMI.  QX1 could be an option, but doesn't seem to support video out.

The RedEdge supports GPS input, any idea if the Matrice can output GPS to the RedEdge?  With the RX100, are you relying on the mission app to geotag images?  I currently use Pix4D with a Phantom and plan to use either Pix4D or Map Pilot for gridded flights.

Is a STM required for camera triggering, or can that be done with the onboard CAN/UART?
2017-2-3
Use props
fanse2fa4e88
lvl.2
Flight distance : 375761 ft
Germany

Take a look at this dual camera hybrid view solution:

Control of the 3rd party gimbal is possible this way:

On M600, A3 / N3 + LB2 this way:

2017-2-3
Use props
Advanced