Nevada Has Operational Drone Airport
776 6 2017-2-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

It looks like there will be an operational drone airport coming to Nevada soon, with the site already been confirmed to be intermittently operational – making it sound as though it is the Death Star that we are talking about, eh?
image.jpeg
Construction on the site kicked off some time late last year, where it is meant to be a public and commercial airport developed especially for drones, and progress has been pretty much steady to say the least. To date, it has hosted Section 333 operators (folks who have been approved by the FAA to operate unmanned aircraft in the National Airspace System) as well as amateur racing in the first quarter of 2016.
This will be a phased development, where the entire site is expected to be completed within the coming two or perhaps, three years, and the completed site is tipped to also feature the relevant training facilities. Of course, one would not rule out government entities from making use of this drone airport, but chances are it will be more of hobbyists and fans of drones to make full use of the site, as opposed to government entities. Aerodrome President Jon Daniels, heading the company behind this drone airport, shared, “The majority will be commercial and private business. We can easily support the development of cargo services and other applications, and are talking with several companies about that very thing.”

RedHotPoker
2017-2-2
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

So you will soon be able to take off, but where will you land?  Just 1 airport is not much use, especially for cargo flights!
2017-2-2
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

Why? Certainly do not need an airport to launch a consumer drone. And I don't really want to fly where there are a concentrated number of other flyers.
2017-2-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-2-2 14:19
Why? Certainly do not need an airport to launch a consumer drone. And I don't really want to fly where there are a concentrated number of other flyers.

Did it say for hobby class? Yeah, it does.. I would tend to believe that sort of effort, would coincide much more with companies like Amazon, doing drone delivery.
Since this endeavor is situated in Nevada, you can bet on it. Hahaha
I jest of course... But yeah, likely mostly for commercial drone applications. & Not Phantom orientated... Although it has mentioned drone racing.
Perhaps it will be open to the public, for our ultimate benefit. Giving a safe and comfortable place to fly, to your pulsing hearts content.
Looking forward also to the projected Spain Bull Ring conversion, as it certainly caters to private flying & racing drone uses.
The future is bright, for multi rotors. It continually keeps getting better, & more wonderful every day...
Actually, belonging to a flying club, such as our www.ercha.ca is exhilaration magnified. Flying with others is awesome.
If you're only fly alone, you have no idea what you are missing...
The comraderie of sharing your love of the hobby with others, whom are like minded individuals is grand. & is like the forum, but in person.
image.jpeg
RedHotPoker  

2017-2-2
Use props
Palladous
lvl.3
Flight distance : 102185 ft
United States

Which one are you?
2017-2-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

"If" I were there, I'd be the one behind the camera. Hahaha

No, that is only an example, of my interest, in flying with friends who are like minded with RC activities.

Do you fly in groups, or primarily involved in solo adventures?

RedHotPoker
2017-2-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Here's some more info...

Aerodrome is working with the City of Boulder, Nevada, to launch the first commercial drone airport — the Eldorado Droneport. It’s one of only a handful of FAA-appointed UAS test sites in the United States.
The plan is to offer training, maintenance and other support functions for the commercial drone industry, as well as for individual drone pilots. The company already operates teaching facilities in Detroit, Michigan and Henderson, Nevada.
The plan is to complete the construction of the droneport with its adjacent training facilities in about three years. The team tells me that it already operates on a five-acre parcel in Boulder.
We caught up with Aerdrome’s at CES.

image.jpeg

RedHotPoker

2017-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules