Successful Plane Travel with Inspire!
6587 33 2015-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

United States

Flying out of Las Vegas and going to LA!
connecting over seas.

So far no trouble by TSA. Went through with a breeze! Have 2 4700 and 3 phantom batteries. Including a 6400 mah and 24000 mah lipos for my dslr gimbal.
Will keep you guys updated!

No questions or concernes by anyone. Flying Southwest,  fits perfect!
2015-2-19
Use props
gdrake77.gmail
lvl.2

United States

hmmmm you carried on?. We were just talking about this.....
2015-2-19
Use props
4Blades
lvl.2

United States

This is great information! I have been keeping up on the posts about traveling with the inspire. I got my bird exactly a month ago and still have not flown this thing yet! The weather here in the northeast and been relentless this winter and I just don't want to risk the investment in the cold weather. With that being said I am leaving for my honeymoon in two weeks and going to Dominican Republic and it looks like I will be taking the inspire with me for the maiden voyage!!! Cant wait!!
2015-2-19
Use props
jebryant10.att
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56112 ft
United States

4Blades Posted at 2015-2-20 02:04
This is great information! I have been keeping up on the posts about traveling with the inspire. I g ...

I live near Chicago and today we had -7 actual temperature and I flew for about 10 minits this morning. The battery life is reduced but the Inspire 1 works just fine.
2015-2-19
Use props
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

Philippines

gdrake77.gmail Posted at 2015-2-20 01:28
hmmmm you carried on?. We were just talking about this.....

Yes! I was timid about the whole thing.

Just landed in the Philippines! had a connecting flight from LA to Honk Kong then to here.

The only thing that was questioned, was my 6400 MAH Li Po in L.A. But they let it go through no problem. Noone really batted an eye at the inspire. Even when it went through the X-Ray.

My flights were on Southwest and Cathay Pacific.
2015-2-20
Use props
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

Philippines

4Blades Posted at 2015-2-20 02:04
This is great information! I have been keeping up on the posts about traveling with the inspire. I g ...

Aw that is brutal!!! But definitely rather be safe than sorry!

And Yes!!!! do it! you should get some spectacular shots. Make sure you do pre flight checks and run your batteries to test them, fully, before you do anything strenuous!
I have had minimal problems in flight, but nothing of Fly aways or close call crashes.

Just with all the stories, youre going to want to make sure your bird is pristine condition!

Have a good Honeymoon and congrats on the marriage! lol
2015-2-20
Use props
4Blades
lvl.2

United States

Thank you very much! I will make sure to do preflight checklist and be very cautious!  Enjoy your trip sounds like an amazing one!
2015-2-21
Use props
stuart.asombro
New
Panama

They asked me a bunch of questions about my Phantom last week coming into the DR, but let me in OK.  I am now evaluating taking the inspire to Peru and Colombia...not 100% convinced how it's all going to play out.
2015-2-21
Use props
will
lvl.2

United States

I flew into DR back in July with my Phantom 2.  No issues in either direction.  That's probably NOT going to be the case everywhere in the world but at least we can confirm, you're OK in places like that.
2015-2-21
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

shakyamunifilms Posted at 2015-2-21 10:04
Yes! I was timid about the whole thing.

Just landed in the Philippines! had a connecting flight f ...

Thanks for the report, sounds encouraging.
2015-2-21
Use props
joekeantang.gma
lvl.4

United States

Will be traveling to puerto rico next month, I am hoping to take my inspire 1! Did you take your case the original case that was provided when you got your inspire? Did you take it as a carry on? Can you share a bit more of how you made it happen?
2015-2-21
Use props
Markc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1637933 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The case is too big for carry on, but you will need to take the batteries on board with you.  Safest to have have them discharged to around 30%.  I carry mine in lipo bags and declare them every time, just to be safe.  Never encountered any problems in Australia, Europe and UK.  Technically, you can only carry the original 4500 TB47 as the TB48 are above legal size for air travel.  3 is usually the limit.

The are the bags I mean.  You can fit 2 Inspire 1 batteries per bag
Ebay Lipo bags
2015-2-21
Use props
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

Philippines

Markc Posted at 2015-2-22 06:29
The case is too big for carry on, but you will need to take the batteries on board with you.  Safest ...

My inspire case fit perfectly as a carry on. No trouble at all. I flew southwest and Cathay Pacific. The actual measurements if the case are bigger than the recommended size of a carryon. But it was no problem whatsoever
2015-2-21
Use props
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

Philippines

joekeantang.gma Posted at 2015-2-22 05:50
Will be traveling to puerto rico next month, I am hoping to take my inspire 1! Did you take your cas ...

Hey Joke. Yes! Carried it on with 3 phantom batteries and two inspire batteries inside the inspire case that DJI supplied us. Charger, two remotes, no problem.
Also carried in my carryon backpack, 2 li po batteries for my 3 axis gimbal. A 2400 MAH and a 64000 MAH
inside a ziplock bag labeled 'li po batteries'

The only issue I had, was one LAX TSA worker. She just asked about my two lipos, saying they look weird. But a man with TSA approached her letting her know they were safe. That was all. When the inspire went through the X RAY, no one said a thing. One guy in Hong Kong asked me about it, out of interest, saying he's heard of the inspire and was excited to see one in person lol
2015-2-21
Use props
joekeantang.gma
lvl.4

United States

Thanks! so excited to hear that! Now I don't have to invest in buying a pelican case for this trip, I rather take it with me as a carry on, you said that it fits well in the compartment ? just want to make sure! how much spare space did you had? the door closed without any problems? the flight crew didn't say anything about how big the case was?
2015-2-21
Use props
MJDMike
lvl.3

United States

joekeantang.gma Posted at 2015-2-22 13:47
Thanks! so excited to hear that! Now I don't have to invest in buying a pelican case for this trip,  ...

I have flown several international flights on a United 737-800, and carried on the Inspire full of TB47 batteries.  No issues at all.

However, I have seen some posts here in which people were forced to check it at the gate, as technically it's a few inches over the limit of United's carry on measurements.

It's for that reason that I'm looking for a case to check it in.  I don't want to take the change of a gate check in the factory case.

Just be prepared for that, and be ready to remove the batteries if you need to check.  (you can leave one in the Inspire).

Good luck.
2015-2-22
Use props
Markc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1637933 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You definitely cannot leave any batteries in the Inspire for checked in luggage.  They can pose a fire risk at high altitude and are prohibited as cargo for all air travel.  Re the carry on situation.  Yes, you might get away with it, but if the flight is very full, then they often enforce strict rules and it will get checked in and you'll have to pay the excess.  

On my last trip to Ireland, even my legal size hand luggage got knocked back as the plane was full.  I then had to watch horrified as by case was launched down a big slide from the plane door to the ground below.  Result...one smashed case.  Imagine if that was an Inspire.
2015-2-22
Use props
MJDMike
lvl.3

United States

Markc Posted at 2015-2-23 06:02
You definitely cannot leave any batteries in the Inspire for checked in luggage.  They can pose a fi ...

You are allowed to check one LiPo battery as long as it's in the device (Inspire), but no spares.

FAA Regs. at this link:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office ... s_and_batteries.pdf
2015-2-22
Use props
DaVinci66
New
Sweden

stuart.asombro Posted at 2015-2-21 23:29
They asked me a bunch of questions about my Phantom last week coming into the DR, but let me in OK.  ...

Hello! Did you travel to Colombia or Peru with your drone? Did you have any problems? Did you take any specific safety precautions?

Best regards,
David
2016-5-17
Use props
MrSilicon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6693586 ft
Australia

MJDMike Posted at 2015-2-23 08:38
You are allowed to check one LiPo battery as long as it's in the device (Inspire), but no spares.

Not the best idea. If the battery combusts while in the cargo hold the plane is going down in flames with you and 300 other people in it! It's the main reason why you should always carry on LiPos.

2016-5-17
Use props
Jim09
lvl.3
United States

All good info... I'm planning on carrying mine on in a backpack and placing either under the seat in front of me or in the overhead.  Just not comfortable in checking it without a pelican case...don't trust the generic case thats provided by DJI
2016-5-17
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jim09 Posted at 2016-5-17 18:10
All good info... I'm planning on carrying mine on in a backpack and placing either under the seat in ...

Jim it will not fit under the seat...  I am 6' 3" and there I no way I can make room for it at my feet.

Best to put it into the overhead bin

Rich
2016-5-17
Use props
MrSilicon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6693586 ft
Australia

I'm glad to hear all the stories that is fits in the overhead bin! I'm boarding a Lufthansa flight in a month and according to the carry on rules the case is slightly bigger than the allowed dimensions.

Has anyone had any issues carrying onto a Lufthansa plane?
2016-5-17
Use props
GuyNamedLindsey
lvl.2

United States

joekeantang.gma Posted at 2015-2-21 17:50
Will be traveling to puerto rico next month, I am hoping to take my inspire 1! Did you take your cas ...

What ever happened in PR?
2016-5-17
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United States

I lost 1x TB47 and 2x TB48 by respecting the rules and having them in the carry on. Not even the insurance agreed to reimburse them after being confiscated by airport security. Of course it will not happen to everyone and may or may not happen in any airport or terminal, but when it does, is like paying your 2-way trip twice! Good luck and safe travels.
2016-5-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

bornish@gmail.c Posted at 2016-5-18 12:50
I lost 1x TB47 and 2x TB48 by respecting the rules and having them in the carry on. Not even the ins ...

Here's a FAA document that you can print out and carry with you for US airports

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_ ... s_and_batteries.pdf

Note, with airline approval, you also may be allowed to carry two spares up to 160 watts instead of one.
"With airline approval, devices can contain larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours per battery), but spares of this size are
limited to two batteries in carry-on baggage only. This size covers the largest aftermarket extended-life laptop batteries and
most lithium ion batteries for professional-grade audio/visual equipment. Most lithium ion batteries for consumer electronics
are below this size'
2016-5-18
Use props
Jim09
lvl.3
United States

Cheers Rich
2016-5-18
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-18 19:18
Here's a FAA document that you can print out and carry with you.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office ...

Ken,
FAA rules do not apply in all airports in the world.
Moreover, I had shown to both airline staff and airport security the official document from the airline's website. The clueless airline staff talked to their supervisor for almost 1 hour until they realized I was right about those being their current standing rules. Yet, the airport security refused to release them based on the fact that were unable to understand the category in which each battery falls under.
Problem is, a passenger has less an less rights while travelling.
Do you have any idea how many vaporizers (wrongly called "electronic cigarettes") are being confiscated from people's luggage? Unless you have the extremely small, pen type ones, there's a high chance to have them confiscated in many airports around the world, and in the best scenario they will only confiscate the component of the device that contains the battery, but still rendering the unit unusable since you can't really purchase only that component later. What's the logic of this when in the same bag you have a huge laptop using a LiPo battery of a much higher capacity?
I don't see a near future in which these problems will disappear... instead will become more annoying for sure. At least we should share these with fellow owners in the community so they can take the extra precautions and maybe avoid loosing their goods. I would rather leave my equipment at home instead of loosing it on the way.
Regards,
Bogdan
2016-5-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

bornish@gmail.c Posted at 2016-5-20 01:41
Ken,
FAA rules do not apply in all airports in the world.
Moreover, I had shown to both airline st ...

When I said FAA I was meaning only US. I added US to the post.
But at least carrying this may help. As least I think it's better to have it then not.
I agree that not all TSA will get the same results for bringing items on board, and yes it may never be that way.
2016-5-19
Use props
adam1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 326421 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-18 11:18
Here's a FAA document that you can print out and carry with you for US airports

http://www.faa.gov ...

Hey Ken,

Can you tell us what the Dji batteries are in watt hours?  For both sizes?

Thanks.
2016-5-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

adam1 Posted at 2016-5-20 02:28
Hey Ken,

Can you tell us what the Dji batteries are in watt hours?  For both sizes?

TB47 is 99.9Wh
TB48 129.96Wh
2016-5-19
Use props
adam1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 326421 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-19 14:57
TB47 is 99.9Wh
TB48 129.96Wh

Just squeezing by lol.  Thanks Ken
2016-5-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

adam1 Posted at 2016-5-20 06:42
Just squeezing by lol.  Thanks Ken

Yup, that's for sure.
2016-5-19
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wouldn't use what happened to you as a rule of thumb, you just got lucky.
2016-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules