Mavic video stuttering effect when moving
5577 11 2017-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rayden2909
lvl.1
Romania

Hi,
  I linked below a video showing my problem. The video is indoors and I am moving the mavic by hand (not flying it) but I am seeing a similar effect outside while yaw-ing ...
  Can you please tell me if this is an issue with my drone or in general and if there is any way of fixing it.
Stuttering video
Regards,
Dan
2017-2-3
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I'm guessing you are moving too fast for the frame rate to keep up with -- try the same test using 1080p/60 or 96fps and see if that seems smoother.
2017-2-3
Use props
rayden2909
lvl.1
Romania

Tried it for 1080 60,96 fps , also 720 same ...
You may be right about turning it fast here , I did this as a test because when I filmed outside I got the same effect on buildings while rotating the mavic as slow as I could (though I used default settings and no tripod mode). I will give it a go again tomorrow in tripod mode to see if I get the same effect.
2017-2-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

rayden2909 Posted at 2017-2-3 14:37
Tried it for 1080 60,96 fps , also 720 same ...
You may be right about turning it fast here , I did this as a test because when I filmed outside I got the same effect on buildings while rotating the mavic as slow as I could (though I used default settings and no tripod mode). I will give it a go again tomorrow in tripod mode to see if I get the same effect.

Please test more and if you get the same issue, please upload some original video.
I'll help to check it.
2017-2-4
Use props
rayden2909
lvl.1
Romania

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-2-4 01:50
Please test more and if you get the same issue, please upload some original video.
I'll help to check it.

I uploaded a new recent video , please look at time frame 2:12 ->  2:33
2017-2-4
Use props
rayden2909
lvl.1
Romania

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-2-4 01:50
I'll help to check it.

I uploaded another smaller video showing the same stuttering effect , again this is in tripod mode with minimal rotation applied to the controller (with default settings)
2017-2-5
Use props
Dronoob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

rayden2909 Posted at 2017-2-5 03:03
I uploaded another smaller video showing the same stuttering effect , again this is in tripod mode with minimal rotation applied to the controller (with default settings)

What were the video and camera settings?

My first idea was a very high shutter speed at bright sunlight. But your video is stuttering much stronger than what I expected.

At the end of your video you can also see some jello where the ground seems to wobble. This usually only happens at 1080 with high framerates above 30fps. This indeed, should smoothen the stuttering at the same time.

Weird. Unless your camera is totally misconfigured, this looks like a technical defect to me (software or hardware).
2017-2-5
Use props
rayden2909
lvl.1
Romania

Dronoob Posted at 2017-2-5 03:19
What were the video and camera settings?

My first idea was a very high shutter speed at bright sunlight. But your video is stuttering much stronger than what I expected.

My camera settings are 4k/30fps with DCinelike auto exposure , the small jell-o effect could be because of the temperature outside (from what I read from other posts) since it is at the recommended limit during flight (5 deg C).
2017-2-5
Use props
Dronoob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

I just downloaded the original file.
  • The video frames are very sharp.
  • The stuttering is as I would expect at that rotation speed at sun light for 4k/30fps.
  • There is no jello effect at the end in the original video but there is a slight movement which can cause jello when the video is sized down to 1080 or other resolutions using bad interpolation algorithms.

Summarizing: The video looks OK to me. To improve the smootheness of your video, you should consider buying ND filters to get the shutter speed down to 1/50 so that the single video frames get longer exposed and thus capture more motion blur.

Back to the issue: As the original video looks much better than the result in the online playback, I think there is a video transcoding issue outside the Mavic. If you are seeing the same issue on your device, please check the video transmission settings. Sorry, I can only give you some hints where to look into this issue. I have no solution for this but I am quite confident, that the Mavic's camera is OK. Hope that helps.
2017-2-5
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

As above ... its caused by a high shutter speed, its called rolling shutter. you need to keep your shutter speed on the lower side and thats pretty much only possible by using ND filters.

Mavic has a fixed apetuer so it increases the shutter speed to reduce the amount of light getting in to the sensor, the downside is that it causes stuttering footage when you move fast
2017-2-5
Use props
rayden2909
lvl.1
Romania

Dronoob Posted at 2017-2-5 03:49
I just downloaded the original file.
  • The video frames are very sharp.

• Thanks for your answers , since the frames do appear to be sharp , is there any way to fix this with some post-processing software ?
    2017-2-5
    Use props
    fansf63584e7
    lvl.2
    Greece

Hi,

i have the same issue in Mavic Pro (not platinum) with V01.04.0200 firmware installed .

Please see the video just uploaded right here:

The video settings are:
    Polar Pro ND
    24fps
    shutter 1/50
    color: Normal

I use my mavic for months without any issue when tilting the gimbal. After the final version (one week ago) and the previous version (i now have the latest version installed) the mavic has these issue when tilting the gimbal.
    In the beginning i thought that it was a gimbal issue. So i did the following:
    -i calibrated gimbal
    -calibrated IMU
    -reset mavic to factory settings
    -refreshed firmware (via assistant 2)
    -downgraded to previous firmaware (via assistant 2)
    -formatted SD card / used several SD cards (i had no problem with the cards i previously used)
    -adjusted from setting the gimbal speed
    with no positive result.

I was ready to send my Mavic to DJI in Holland for inspection ( i have purchased the dji care refresh) but first i gave i try to 2 additional Mavic Pro drones (my brother and a friend of mine).
    I WAS SURPRISED after the test that all 3 drones HAD THE SAME issue. I looked videos from all these drones before 2-3 months (obviously they had a November - December firmware installed) and they had no Stuttering issue while moving the gimbal.
    So i conclude that it is a firmware issue.
    Just to note that the effect DOES NOT change if i change the gimbal slower or faster.
    Can other DJI members confirm this issue in order to get fixed?
    I have tried 3 different drones (2 with V01.04.0200 and 1 with V01.04.0100) and they all have the exact same problem..
    2018-2-2
    Use props
    Advanced
    You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules