Mavic high wind warning
7393 34 2017-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans534b194f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10272 ft
Ireland

I received my long awaited Mavic this week. I've only had 2 flights with it so far.  On both occasions, in calm to zero wind, I've been getting several high wind warnings which annoyingly have to be manually cancelled each time. It spoils the whole experience in my opinion! Are there any updates to resolve this?
2017-2-3
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Still flying on old firmware here and litchi app. I get no warnings xd
2017-2-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Could you please clarify your current firmware version? What's the altitude were you flying at?
2017-2-3
Use props
Artrix
New
Flight distance : 286982 ft
China

Winds in high altitude is really very different from low altitude winds(ground wind).So even you feel the wind on the ground is weak,it still can be strong on the sky!
It will be a much stronger wind in high altitude.
If you are not sure is there really a strong wind,you can try to see the  attitude(not altitude!) ball of your drone(in the DJI GO App).
If the drone is truly as an tilting attitude,you need to find a place to land your drone because they are real strong winds!
2017-2-3
Use props
CMP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1195837 ft
New Zealand

If the message just said too high wind velocity it USUALLY doesn't have a major effect on the drone.
2017-2-3
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I get that too, but as another poster has said, what's calm on the ground is often no reflection on what's happening above.   The message won't impact the flying but take it as a warning that your battery will be working harder and avoid long distant flights away from the home point in case it struggles to get back.

Poor guy on another thread lost his Mavic in water as his long distance return flight over water was into the wind and it simply didn't have enough power left...
Ian
2017-2-3
Use props
fans534b194f
lvl.1
Ireland

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-2-3 19:08
Could you please clarify your current firmware version? What's the altitude were you flying at?

App version 4.0.2
Aircraft version 01.03.0200-
Controller version 01.03.0200
Altitude 150-200 feet
Ground conditions no wind
2017-2-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fans534b194f Posted at 2017-2-4 01:04
App version 4.0.2
Aircraft version 01.03.0200-
Controller version 01.03.0200

Please try to fly at a lower altitude to see if it will happen again.
2017-2-4
Use props
fans367ca15d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535341 ft
United States

The stability of the mavic does not give you the feel of differnet wind speeds at different altitdes. I started my drone life with a dji f450...naza m.....yada yada a few years ago. That drone taught me a lot about flying. While it is fairly steady it does not hold is position in wind. You can be calm on the ground and hit 100ft and have 20 mph winds. Generally the higher you go the more wind there is. The mavic can hold its place well in a fair amount of wind....my 450 will drift and go with the wind and the only way to hold steady is with stick inputs. One of my early flight with my 450 I actually got brave and flew to about 100 ft altitude and hhit a big wind gust, paniced and crashed into a tree. That flight taught me a lot. lol
2017-2-4
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Netherlands

It really depends on the altitude. There are several tools you can use to brief  yourself pre-flight.
You could check skyvector.com.  Select wind barbs at say ground level, 300' , 600' etc. That should give you a basic idea of the atmospheric stability and the wind behaviour. It could change dramatically once you leave the friction layer.
Off couse could also be a glitch, need to do some tests to rule this out or confirm.
2017-2-4
Use props
fans534b194f
lvl.1
Ireland

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-2-4 01:24

Doing the same thing at 100ft. I would like to return it for a refund. How do I proceed?
2017-2-4
Use props
fans534b194f
lvl.1
Ireland

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-2-4 01:24

Still getting high wind warnings at 100ft. I would like to return the product for a refund. How do I proceed?
2017-2-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Living in Ireland calm zero wind, is there a roof over where your flying..
2017-2-4
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Netherlands

Dude, it' s 20-30kt winds in whole Ireland at SFC level...Correction..its calm indeed. Try to change location, it's hard to "read" the mavic cause DJI won't give us atti. If you had another Mavic buddy in the area you could compare.
2017-2-4
Use props
aviscomi
lvl.3

United States

fans534b194f Posted at 2017-2-4 05:27
Still getting high wind warnings at 100ft. I would like to return the product for a refund. How do I proceed?

I get those warnings 1 out of every 5 flights.  No big deal, the warnings don't prevent me from flying.
2017-2-4
Use props
fans534b194f
lvl.1
Ireland

MacIak Posted at 2017-2-4 05:33
Dude, it' s 20-30kt winds in whole Ireland at SFC level...Correction..its calm indeed. Try to change location, it's hard to "read" the mavic cause DJI won't give us atti. If you had another Mavic buddy in the area you could compare.

Where I'm based in the midlands it was dead calm this morn!
2017-2-4
Use props
fans534b194f
lvl.1
Ireland

aviscomi Posted at 2017-2-4 05:41
I get those warnings 1 out of every 5 flights.  No big deal, the warnings don't prevent me from flying.

I'm getting it on every flight
2017-2-4
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

fans534b194f Posted at 2017-2-4 11:16
I'm getting it on every flight

At what altitude above ground level are you flying and what are the wind conditions at ground level?

I can usually get a general idea of how bad the winds are at altitude from listening; when there are strong gusts, the pitch and volume of sound from the motors / props changes frequently as the Mavic tries to compensate to maintain its position.
2017-2-4
Use props
fans534b194f
lvl.1
Ireland

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-4 12:03
At what altitude above ground level are you flying and what are the wind conditions at ground level?

I can usually get a general idea of how bad the winds are at altitude from listening; when there are strong gusts, the pitch and volume of sound from the motors / props changes frequently as the Mavic tries to compensate to maintain its position.

The Mavic was stable and hoovering level overhead. There was no apparent tilting to fight a breeze as the conditions were very calm here this morn. Altitude has been between 100-200ft.
2017-2-4
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

fans534b194f Posted at 2017-2-4 12:44
The Mavic was stable and hoovering level overhead. There was no apparent tilting to fight a breeze as the conditions were very calm here this morn. Altitude has been between 100-200ft.

100-200 feet is definitely high enough for there to be a big difference in wind speed compared to ground level. And the audible clues that I mentioned mainly apply to when there are strong gusts, so that may not be a reliable indicator in your case.

A simple way to get a general idea of wind conditions is just to check your local weather conditions to determine the wind direction and then fly the Mavic against the wind and check the ground speed that's reported. In no / low-wind conditions I normally get about 40 MPH in Sport mode. If you fly your Mavic upwind and find that its traveling significantly slower than that then it's a pretty safe bet that it's because of the wind and that it's correct in warning you about it. Otherwise, it's possible that you have a faulty Mavic and you probably should contact DJI.
2017-2-4
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

I get that warning every flight too. I fly between 50 - 150 meters.
2017-2-4
Use props
greygoose
lvl.2

United States

I get the warning every once in a while...mostly on long-distance flights. They are simply a warning...so caution is advised. I got one today...(and it was pretty windy at 100ft.) I got my shots and hit RTH and the Mavic came back and landed in its precise spot on the Helipad. It was a bit tense since I had a lot of trees around me.
2017-2-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Did you contact the tech support already?
If not, could you please export the flight data when this occurred via DJI assistant and upload it to dropbox?
2017-2-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

NavigatorNL Posted at 2017-2-4 13:18
I get that warning every flight too. I fly between 50 - 150 meters.

Could you please export the flight data when this occurred via DJI assistant and upload it to dropbox?
Our engineers will help to review the data.
2017-2-6
Use props
fans534b194f
lvl.1
Ireland

Thanks all for the replies. I've returned the Mavic to DJI for a refund.
2017-2-7
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

I read posts of people raving about the stability of the Mavic all the time.  Yes, it is quite stable in a hover, even more stable than my P4 but in comparison when flying in windy conditions my P4 performs a lot better.  In similar wind conditions I find that the Mavic crawls along compared to the P4.  There are conditions I have flown my P4  that I dare not try with the Mavic.  It is what it is I guess.  
2017-2-7
Use props
Jdwyier
lvl.2

United States

M Stuart K Posted at 2017-2-7 14:15
I read posts of people raving about the stability of the Mavic all the time.  Yes, it is quite stable in a hover, even more stable than my P4 but in comparison when flying in windy conditions my P4 performs a lot better.  In similar wind conditions I find that the Mavic crawls along compared to the P4.  There are conditions I have flown my P4  that I dare not try with the Mavic.  It is what it is I guess.

I have the same impression with my P3A compared to the Mavic. I don't know if it's the larger motors on the P3, or a  difference in what the crafts pitch is limited to, or what it might be, but flying both back to back in the same conditions the P3A will fly into the wind much better. I often have to put the Mavic into sport mode to make any headway when running up wind on a breezy day.  Gets a bit unnerving when I find myself downwind by even a couple hundred yards if the breeze is moving along at a decent clip.  

On the other hand, I can take my Mavic many places I'd never take my P3 so that's a huge plus for the Mavic.  I'm just very mindful to keep an eye on the wind with the Mavic and severely limit any down wind runs with it.
2017-2-7
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

Find yourself a large enclosed area and fly it inside and see if you still get high winds.
2017-2-7
Use props
patratel
lvl.1
Romania

How can Mavic sense high velocity wind ?
2017-2-7
Use props
Sergey_B
lvl.1

Ukraine

patratel Posted at 2017-2-7 22:39
How can Mavic sense high velocity wind ?

I believe by the tilt/roll angle.
If drone is hovering at windy conditions then there will be a permanent tilt.
2017-2-7
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

Looking at the my aviation wind maps from last week (preparation of some gyroplane flights) there was no "calm wind" situation nowhere in Europe since Ireland is in the path of all the highs and lows .............

Get into a big hall (enclosed roofed stadion or something else when possible) and check.

Or look at the windmills if there are any near You: they are approx. 30m high (100ft) and if they turn there is PLENTY of wind. If some hills or woods are surrounding You it might seem calm to YOU but changes in wind-conditions can be dramatical even at 10 m AGL by leeward/windward air-swirls (downdrafts, updrafts, sidedrafts).

Be happy that Your Mavic is warning You. I would have been happy my first Parrot 2.0 drone would have had this feature because it was blown away on a "windless" day (yeah, but only on the ground) at 15 m height ....................  
2017-2-8
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Netherlands

I have a Davis weather station. Winds today are 5-10 meter per second and less. I got several warnings today from the Magic. When I look at the data Mavic will warn from 5 meter per second and above.
2017-2-11
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

NavigatorNL Posted at 2017-2-11 01:56
I have a Davis weather station. Winds today are 5-10 meter per second and less. I got several warnings today from the Magic. When I look at the data Mavic will warn from 5 meter per second and above.

Is your anemometer installed around 10 meters above ground level and is that the same altitude where your Mavic was flying when it generated the wind warnings?
2017-2-11
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Netherlands

The Mavic was about 5 feet from the Davis weather station...... hovering......
2017-2-11
Use props
fans5cb578ef
lvl.2

United States

I use the mavic to film kiteboarders. Its always windy and the damn high wind warning is always pooping up. Put an option in DJI Go 4 to do away with wind warnings.
2017-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules