The BBC (U.K.) uses Phantom 4
987 9 2017-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AndyD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 80141 ft
United Kingdom

I recently watched the BBC programme Spy in the Wild; a nature documentary featuring lots of different animatronics and spy cameras.

Featured on episode 5. ‘Meet the Spies’ is what looks like a Phantom 4 being used by one of the camera team (at time of 41:20 for those who can see it on BBC iPlayer). The Phantom 4 appears to be used in the earlier episode (4) showing the wolves in a cotton field (you can see the downdraft effect); the drone gets close without disturbing the wolves.

So, to all those who say the Phantom series is a toy, it’s clearly not; it has it’s place as a professional tool; in this case, to get up close without disturbing (some) wildlife.

2017-2-4
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well spotted and a good advert for the P4,or was it a Pro' ?  
2017-2-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Good eye! I'm seeing drones in general pop up on TV more often myself.
2017-2-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I think you will find the BBC, or production houses feeding content to the Beeb, use drones quite a lot. They are a much cheaper alternative to hiring helicopters for aerial sequences, and in many cases, more practical. I have noticed quite a few docos coming out of the UK lately that clearly used drones.
2017-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I had to laugh good last night, watching one of the reality shows on Discovery channel, filmed in Alaska.

There was a nice, if short aerial segment. Drone was flying backwards. And near the end, the props came into view. Oops, Haha

Most American network news broadcasters such as: ABC, CBS, NBC, even FOX, all show drone footage with regularity. Sometimes the ground crew will inadvertently catch the Phantom above, in their shots too. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-4
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

"The Phantom 4 appears to be used in the earlier episode (4) showing the wolves in a cotton field (you can see the downdraft effect);"

The BBC seems to like including a Phantom in the footage, there is one in the news trailer on News24 every hour and they keep appearing in other programmes.

However I think they normally use Inspires for filming, they film the P4 because that is what everyone recognises as a drone and it looks reasonably friendly, unlike their Inspires which look rather dangerous!

I suspect the Phantom on Spy in the Wild was being used for surveillance so they knew where the animals were and what they were doing so that they could set up the shots.

Great series
2017-2-4
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I still see Planet Earth 2 using helicopters.   Probably they don't consider drones technology mature enough.   

2017-2-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-2-5 00:04
I still see Planet Earth 2 using helicopters.   Probably they don't consider drones technology mature enough.

On last nights US news, they were discussing todays big American football game, the Super Bowl.
Telling us it is a no drone fly zone, & they showed an Inspire and a Phantom taking off.
Yes, a no fly zone, yet there will be police helicopters patrolling the sky around the stadium.

Putting all the terrorists on alert, don't show up, near the game, Or it will end badly for them.

It should be a great game, both teams are very ready, to put on a battle for the cup.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-5
Use props
AndyD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 80141 ft
United Kingdom

There was one of the Planet Earth 2 diaries where they saw the Amazon dolphins; used a big drone to see the dolphins 'cos at boat level they couldn't find them; a great example of the recce feature!
2017-2-5
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Since it is commercial work, it is sometimes much easier to hire a helicopter and pilot than to get permission to fly a drone, or hire a drone + pilot with permission.  It will depend on the country they are in.

Also some of the aerial sequences are shot from well above 400ft which may be against regulations.
2017-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules