Option for Different color phantoms?
3485 22 2015-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rdc44444.hotmai
lvl.4

United States

It would be nice if the phantom came in different color options. The white is too hard to spot especially on a cloudy day. I would guess black would be easier to spot against a blue or white cloud sky? Anyone paint a phantom black and how does it compare from a line of sight perspective under differnet daylight conditions? What has anyone done to improve the LOS?
2015-2-19
Use props
Moto70
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I think it would have been better in a nice matte black but I'm guessing that white plastic is cheaper!
2015-2-19
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

jato painted his.  there are tons of darker skins out there that you might like.  some folks painted their prop guards for orientation and visiblity.. but thats no good if you dont run with them on... i would suggest skins.  i saw a vid this week of a guy that had his case actaully dipped in carbon fiber paint of some kind.  it looked stellar but im not willing to dismantle my bird for a paint job so ill prob just go with skins.
2015-2-19
Use props
Moto70
lvl.2

United Kingdom

That'll be plastidip, I don't like it as the finish looks good at first but soon wears.

I posted elsewhere that when my P2 arrives I will be making a template and be able to produce skins, the thing with mine though will be that because they will be done out of interest and not to make to money they will be done in cast air-free application vinyl so they will be thin and light. I am guessing that the ones currently available will be made from monomeric vinyls...
2015-2-19
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.3

United States

You could add a skin like one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ ... Id=B2WBUZUM52GDSURT
2015-2-19
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

moto, ill pay GOOD MONEY for a set if you get quality ones going.  please let me know or post on here when that happens.  i know you say you arent doing it to make money but i would defn make it worth your time to get a quality product from someone.  thanks man!
2015-2-19
Use props
rdc44444.hotmai
lvl.4

United States

Yeah Ive seen the skins before but they dont appeal to me because Im always afraid they might peel off in midflight causing a crash. I also notice they primarily cover the top and it would be nice if the entire underside and landing gear were dark color making them easier to spot in the sky as I tend to fly high altitude 200+ feet because of all of the tall trees in my area. If I recall correctly one of the new startups is coming out with a drone with different color options and it would be nice if DJI did the same. I cant imagine it would increase the cost that much and even if it did I'm sure many people would be willing to pay a little extra for a different color. C'mon DJI is the Apple of drones so if they want to stay that way they should follow Apple and come out with different color options. Imagine a gold bling phantom with shiny metallic paint like material. That would be easy to spot in the sky!!
2015-2-19
Use props
Moto70
lvl.2

United Kingdom

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-2-20 05:18
moto, ill pay GOOD MONEY for a set if you get quality ones going.  please let me know or post on her ...

No worries, I'll do them at cost. I will also be able to send you the template so you can put whatever you want onto it...

I'll let you know once mine is here and I have set the template up.
2015-2-19
Use props
rdc44444.hotmai
lvl.4

United States

I recently replaced a Phantom FC40 shell and now I wish I would have painted it ...Oh well the next time I crash and have to replace the shell I'll paint it Black or better yet a shiny metallic reflective Gold!!! Word!!
2015-2-19
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

Here is mine after the paint with a can of Krylon. The lights aren't there anymore.
2015-2-19
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

Hey guys

have a look at water transfer printing. Example There are tons of different sheets to use and probably somebody in your area offering this too. (A starter set for DIY is about 80-100$)

I've got a body shell ordered and I'll post mine painted as soon as it's done.
2015-2-19
Use props
rdc44444.hotmai
lvl.4

United States

JATO Posted at 2015-2-20 05:44
Here is mine after the paint with a can of Krylon. The lights aren't there anymore.

Oh I like.. Is it easier to spot in the sky?  I need to pimp out one of my phantoms...
2015-2-19
Use props
rdc44444.hotmai
lvl.4

United States

I wonder if I could just paint the landing gear some type of shiny metallic paint that reflects sunlight. Do you think it would be worth a try and any recommendations on paint/material? Would paint interfere with the compass?
2015-2-19
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

metallic paint ON THE LEGS could in theory interfere since the compass is right here.. just guessing not backing up with science or anything
2015-2-19
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

You can always mount lights instead of paint

I removed the ones on the landing gear because of weight and put ones on the body that can be easily removed.

2015-2-19
Use props
ChristoHD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21818 ft
United States

I agree with RDC's statement, great point regarding the existing skins do a nice job for the top of the quad, but when in use the top of the craft is not what you're looking at... Sides and bottom of the craft is what we're usually looking at, I'm flying it correctly right?

What have some you DIYers done to make your quad more visible in the sky without a complete disassembly and full on paint job?
2015-2-19
Use props
doc43
lvl.2

United States

Anyone seen a clear plastic body? I'd love to see the insides without having to take it apart.
2015-2-19
Use props
ChristoHD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21818 ft
United States

Jato,
Your quad looks great. Nice touch with the lights too.
2015-2-19
Use props
Lejogger
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Jato

Great looking drone. What lights are you using and are they wired to the battery?
2015-2-20
Use props
offduty
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18711 ft
Canada

JATO Posted at 2015-2-19 13:44
Here is mine after the paint with a can of Krylon. The lights aren't there anymore.[view_image]

I like the landing gear where did you find them?
2017-10-12
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

There are hundreds out there, open amazon in you browser , put in “dji phantom wrap” and search.
2017-10-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

offduty Posted at 2017-10-12 08:06
I like the landing gear where did you find them?

They remind me of a bow legged rodeo clown.. Hahaha

What is it about their more rounded appearance that appeals to your eye?

Do they even have enough spare clearance, for the camera/gimbal to calibrate?

RedHotPoker
2017-10-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Lejogger Posted at 2015-2-20 00:11
Jato

Great looking drone. What lights are you using and are they wired to the battery?

Not sure about what kind of strap-on lights he was using, as he never bothered to reply back here.

Nor about replying to this old thread, even though I didn't personally resuscitate it.

Just saying, I would much rather be using my Lume Cubes with Lighthouses and available colored filters.

Having these brighter, much longer reaching LED diodes on my Phantom 3 Pro, has been a treat. Particularly concerning VLOS distances, now having this brilliant capability.  ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-10-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules