Mavic Pro Cell Broken message
3304 17 2017-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ZaneM
lvl.2

United States

Hi I just went to fly my Mavic today and got a Cell Broken message, I have used the battery before with no issues. The battery is fully charged and has only been used maybe 2-3 times so this is quite disappointing. Is anyone else having this issue or know if DJI will replace it at no cost?
2017-2-4
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I have 4 of them with no problems and never had the message. Upload the file and let DJI check it for you.
Batteries has 6 month warranties.

I would also try to do a force discharge and then charge back and tested and let run close to you and low height and see it would receive any error message.
2017-2-4
Use props
ZaneM
lvl.2

United States

dronist Posted at 2017-2-4 18:36
I have 4 of them with no problems and never had the message. Upload the file and let DJI check it for you.
Batteries has 6 month warranties.

Its odd because it only gives me the battery warning when I start the props. I did check and one cell is running at a slightly higher voltage than the other two. How do you force discharge the battery?
2017-2-4
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ZaneM Posted at 2017-2-4 19:24
Its odd because it only gives me the battery warning when I start the props. I did check and one cell is running at a slightly higher voltage than the other two. How do you force discharge the battery?

Using the hub charge, slide the button to the right and it will discharge instead of charging.
2017-2-4
Use props
Dronoob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

The hub charger for Mavic batteries has no button to discharge. The battery itself will discharge to a level of about 60% when it is not used for a few days. This feature will give the batteries a longer life when they are often stored and not used for a longer time.

If one cell has a higher voltage than the other, cells need to be balanced. Unfortunately, I do not know of any way how to do this with a closed battery.

That is why I suggest you to get in touch with DJI customer service.
2017-2-4
Use props
ZaneM
lvl.2

United States

Dronoob Posted at 2017-2-4 23:40
The hub charger for Mavic batteries has no button to discharge. The battery itself will discharge to a level of about 60% when it is not used for a few days. This feature will give the batteries a longer life when they are often stored and not used for a longer time.

If one cell has a higher voltage than the other, cells need to be balanced. Unfortunately, I do not know of any way how to do this with a closed battery.

Thanks for the help! I plan on contacting them tomorrow to resolve this issue, its sad though its only been used/charge twice and is already down. I checked my other Mavic battery, it is fine with even voltage.
2017-2-5
Use props
ZaneM
lvl.2

United States

dronist Posted at 2017-2-4 21:12
Using the hub charge, slide the button to the right and it will discharge instead of charging.

Unfortunately I do not have the charging hub.
2017-2-5
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ZaneM Posted at 2017-2-5 06:11
Unfortunately I do not have the charging hub.

Then in the GO APP go o the battery and then advanced and then put it to discharge in 1 day.
Then charge it back to 100% then, use it with the machine hovering no higher than 3 or 4 feet in case it shut down on you, until it drop to 10% and then in the GO APP change the discharge to 3 days and let us know
2017-2-5
Use props
Dronoob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

dronist Posted at 2017-2-5 07:34
Then in the GO APP go o the battery and then advanced and then put it to discharge in 1 day.
Then charge it back to 100% then, use it with the machine hovering no higher than 3 or 4 feet in case it shut down on you, until it drop to 10% and then in the GO APP change the discharge to 3 days and let us know

This does not make sense. The automatic discharge goes done to 65% but not more. If you fly the battery down to 10% the automatic discharge does not do anything.
2017-2-5
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dronoob Posted at 2017-2-4 23:40

Dronoob,

You are right... I was thinking about my P4P.

But the automatic discharge goes down to 50% and not 65% and you can set up the time oit takes to discharge in the APP.

My point was to discharge the battery by flying it to 10% and charging it back to see if the battery will reset itself internally otherwise it is damaged and need to br replaced.

2017-2-5
Use props
ZaneM
lvl.2

United States

dronist Posted at 2017-2-5 13:30
Dronoob,

You are right... I was thinking about my P4P.

It won't allow me to fly it, I start the props and give it a few seconds then cuts off and gives me the message. I was going to try and fly it to run the battery down to see if that helps but I am unable too.
2017-2-5
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ZaneM Posted at 2017-2-5 15:25
It won't allow me to fly it, I start the props and give it a few seconds then cuts off and gives me the message. I was going to try and fly it to run the battery down to see if that helps but I am unable too.

Then R.I.P. my little one...Send it back   
2017-2-5
Use props
ZaneM
lvl.2

United States

dronist Posted at 2017-2-5 16:31
Then R.I.P. my little one...Send it back

I am going to call or chat with them today to get another one... It was a good battery the two times I used it lol
Thanks for the help
2017-2-6
Use props
fans5d9f5f29
lvl.1
Flight distance : 263196 ft
United States

ZaneM Posted at 2017-2-6 04:27
I am going to call or chat with them today to get another one... It was a good battery the two times I used it lol
Thanks for the help

I got the same message after not flying for about a year.  Battery broken message, no indication of any charge on battery, could not connect the app to the aircraft.  I used the DJI assistant #2, and used cable from laptop to aircraft to update the Mavic.  Then used wifi to update my transmitter software via my iPad mini.  After....after....after rebooting the iPad, everything is reported normal by DJI4 app and it appears to be fixed.  If I see anything different, I'll append my situation here.
2018-1-20
Use props
fans5d9f5f29
lvl.1
United States

fans5d9f5f29 Posted at 2018-1-20 10:26
I got the same message after not flying for about a year.  Battery broken message, no indication of any charge on battery, could not connect the app to the aircraft.  I used the DJI assistant #2, and used cable from laptop to aircraft to update the Mavic.  Then used wifi to update my transmitter software via my iPad mini.  After....after....after rebooting the iPad, everything is reported normal by DJI4 app and it appears to be fixed.  If I see anything different, I'll append my situation here.

Charged up batt #1 and got another batt warning which would not allow flight.  Again, got past that by turning off iPad and flying. When looking at the 3cells,first one was about .15 V lower that other two cells.   So, did Lynn Phan batt calibration by flying battery down to 3.3 V     Mid flight, cells voltages got much closer to each other.  But after landing the readings below observed.  3.34, 3.66, 3.66....with the low voltage cell showing in 'red' condition.

bad cell?

bad cell?
2018-1-20
Use props
Mavdude
lvl.4
Australia

Check that the pack is not starting to swell. If it has started to swell, it is foobaa!
If it looks alright, charge it up, then check the cell voltages in the app.
Then do a full discharge, just swich on the drone and leave it until it shuts itself down, but also keep an eye on cell voltages.
Then charge it up again.
2018-1-20
Use props
fans5d9f5f29
lvl.1
United States

Mavdude Posted at 2018-1-20 15:55
Check that the pack is not starting to swell. If it has started to swell, it is foobaa!
If it looks alright, charge it up, then check the cell voltages in the app.
Then do a full discharge, just swich on the drone and leave it until it shuts itself down, but also keep an eye on cell voltages.

not swelling.  But I get the same thing described above in my post after in flight discharging down to 3.3 Volts.   So, looks like this one is toasted.

Has anyone ever sent one in for repair? (mine is past the 6 month warrantee).   I would imagine they don't repair ones out of warrantee, or that the cost of repair likely approaches the cost of a new one.
2018-1-21
Use props
MSB Wilson
New

New Zealand

One of my battery packs developed the "Cell broken" fault message a year or more ago and wouldn't allow the Mavic to fly. I recently did some searches on whether this can be fixed.
Long story short, I fixed it. I'm an electronics engineer and RC model flyer with a lot of experience with LiPo batteries.

What I learned was this:
1. If one of the three cells in the pack differs by more than about 0.1V, the "Cell broken" condition is reported and the pack can't be used
2. Discharging and recharging probably won't fix it. In fact in some cases it my end up over charging the other cells
3. The built in cell balancing doesn't seem to work very well, if at all. I did multiple tests on a slightly out of balance pack with no observable improvement.
4. As long as the pack is just out of balance and not otherwise damaged or severely discharged, the out of balance cell (or cells) can be individually charged (or discharged) to get them all matching
5. The tricky part is, you have to cut into the front of the pack to access the pack to access the cell balance connector. It is then possible (with a lot of care) to connect a cell charger, suitable power supply, or a discharge resistor accross individual cells. I used a typical RC model LiPo charger as a power supply to to the charging.

CAVEAT: You have to be *very* careful probing or connecting directly onto the balance connector to avoid accidental short circuits between them. If possible, it would be better to get on of the matching 4 way miniature connectors.

In my case, I managed the connection setup by:
1. Securing the pack in a clamp
2. Insulating at least one of the pin probes than I used to make the 0V connection
3. Securing both probes in a '3rd hand' clamp (with one of the probes isolated from it)
3. The built in cell balancing doesn't seem to work very well, if at all. I did multiple tests on a slightly out of balance pack with no observable improvement.
4. As long as the pack is just out of balance and not otherwise damaged or severely discharged, the out of balance cell (or cells) can be individually charged (or discharged) to get them all matching
5. The tricky part is, you have to cut into the front of the pack to access the pack to access the cell balance connector. It is then possible (with a lot of care) to connect a cell charger, suitable power supply, or a discharge resistor accross individual cells. I used a typical RC model LiPo charger as a power supply to to the charging. I used the fine tip of a hot soldering iron to carefully melt through the 0.5mm or so plastic. This is more controllable I think than using a knife or Dremel tool, particulalry on the right habd side.

CAVEAT: You have to be *very* careful probing or connecting directly onto the balance connector to avoid accidental short circuits between them. If possible, it would be better to get on of the matching 4 way miniature connectors.

In my case, I managed the connection setup by:
1. securing the pack in a clamp
2. insulating at least one of the pin probes than I used to make the 0V connection
3. securing both probes in a '3rd hand' clamp (with one of the probes isolated from it)

Hole cut to access balance connector port

Hole cut to access balance connector port

Balance connector terminals

Balance connector terminals

Cell charinging connection to middle cell

Cell charinging connection to middle cell
2022-3-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules