UPDATE!! Samyang 7.5mm - Yes You Can!! - See Video
2972 22 2017-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

I bought the real value for money Samyang 7.5mm MFT lens because I'm in need for a wide angle for the I2.  Very well made and looks cool too.  Only $370!  All manual though (not a problem)

In my previous thread here the comments ranged from "it will not work" to "maybe" - to "try it".   With easy I married the 7.5mm to the X5S.

Below is a short video clip just after picking up the lens .... in fact taken off right next to the dealer's shop just to make sure everything is working and that the "distortion" is acceptable - which I find very OK and no vignetting!.  The 7.2mm is sharp and sweet!  Highly recommended to become part of your X5S lens collection (and of course it fits MFT cameras as the great GH4 too!)

2017-2-4
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Nice little video and love me some Doobie.........Brothers

donnie
2017-2-5
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
South Africa

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-5 04:48
Nice little video and love me some Doobie.........Brothers

donnie

Doobies take me back to my "yoenger" years - now forever gone!  I found the song and added it to the video because of nostalgia as it was / is such good music....   So u don't like the lens??
2017-2-5
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I 2 Fly Posted at 2017-2-5 06:23
Doobies take me back to my "yoenger" years - now forever gone!  I found the song and added it to the video because of nostalgia as it was / is such good music....   So u don't like the lens??

I am not very good with the "Lens " judging aspect of the hobby, I am learning .  Looks good to me , guess I just got lost in the Doobie Bras !

donnie

2017-2-5
Use props
thomasakira
lvl.3
Flight distance : 921693 ft
United States

Thanks for posting this test,  it is generous of you to share.  What settings were you flying at.  I am just wondering about more specifics about the FOV and resulting distortion.
2017-2-5
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
South Africa

thomasakira Posted at 2017-2-5 10:43
Thanks for posting this test,  it is generous of you to share.  What settings were you flying at.  I am just wondering about more specifics about the FOV and resulting distortion.

This lens is totally manual.  After attaching, you'll use the aperture ring and set it as to getting the histogram in an acceptable shape.  You'll select "infinity" on the lens for the focus.  This is a F3.5 (to F22) lens - thus not very "fast" and ideal for bright light.  It will not be able to take (ND) filters - I do not think it will easily need it though.  It will also not be of much use when it has to used in the dark - as I mentioned F3.5 is not fast.

For what you pay it is very good value for money.  It is really sharp from corner to corner.  For many the "distortion" will not be acceptable - I really like it as long as you do not go too close to large objects.  I'm posting another video soon of this mornings test flight with both the DJI 15mm (30mm with crop) and the Samyang 7.5 (15mm with crop).  Watch it before you decide.
2017-2-5
Use props
thomasakira
lvl.3
Flight distance : 921693 ft
United States

I am curious to see the comparison video.  Have you seen this...   ?
2017-2-5
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

$269.99 delivered......  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-SA ... :g:UHMAAOSwJ7RYXMBl
2017-2-5
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
South Africa

Here is my side by side final test on the Samyang 7.5mm...    No audio in video, so read the description.  It has a "180" degree FOV that really works well provided you do not fly at angles too close to large objects as you'll see in the video (and as expected).  I like this lens a lot.   I'll definitely also look at the Laowa 7.5mm when it becomes available as it has a 100 deg. FOV and is faster at F/2.

2017-2-5
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
South Africa

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-2-5 18:19
$269.99 delivered......  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-SAMYANG-7-5mm-f-3-5-UMC-MFT-FISHEYE-LENS-For-MICRO-4-3-/142221422382?hash=item211d0eaf2e:g:UHMAAOSwJ7RYXMBl

This is a BARGAIN!!  However, it puts some of us at a disadvantage as the seller states that he/she is not willing to ship globally (will not ship to me!)....   For those that can get the Samyang at that price and want one - go for it!
2017-2-5
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
South Africa

thomasakira Posted at 2017-2-5 11:28
I am curious to see the comparison video.  Have you seen this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7rBbirIUVA  ?

Yea I've seen it but it is not available yet and there is no indication as to when it will be available....
2017-2-5
Use props
WYHSniper1007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003822 ft
  • >>>
United States

So wide...
2017-2-8
Use props
WYHSniper1007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003822 ft
  • >>>
United States

So wide...
2017-2-8
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
South Africa

Yep!  Wide - for when you need it (for cheap) until there is a (narrower) replacement... (I like to use it in some situations and mix it with "normal" footage.)
2017-2-9
Use props
NJ Flying Slow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 765909 ft
United States

wait, help, I'm confused...so do you just throw this sucker on f/8-11 and fly with focus set to infinity?  B&H sells the lens for 280....
2017-2-9
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
South Africa

NJ Flying Slow  Posted at 2017-2-9 07:13
wait, help, I'm confused...so do you just throw this sucker on f/8-11 and fly with focus set to infinity?  B&H sells the lens for 280....

As easy as that!  See my short video on the easy, simple balancing in this thread....
2017-2-9
Use props
NJ Flying Slow
lvl.3
United States

really amazing.  I have the same weights for my kids derby cars from the boy scouts.  Just wish there was a way to put on the lens and not the gimbal.  Very creative, well done, much appreciated post - out of box thinking, pat yourself on the back.
2017-2-9
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
South Africa

NJ Flying Slow  Posted at 2017-2-9 09:20
really amazing.  I have the same weights for my kids derby cars from the boy scouts.  Just wish there was a way to put on the lens and not the gimbal.  Very creative, well done, much appreciated post - out of box thinking, pat yourself on the back.

I have attached the lead 10g weight with a small piece of male/female valcro to the gimbal.  I used contact rubber glue on the gimbal which never becomes totally hard and can safely be removed if / when needed without any damage to the gimbal.  So I now stick the weight on (with the two parts of valcro locking very securely) when I fly the I2 with the Samyang and just "rip" it off gently when I pack the gimbal away.  I have however noticed the the stock 15mm DJI lens with hood also needs balancing!  (check yours) and that little 10g weight is just the right medicine
2017-2-9
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
South Africa

NJ Flying Slow  Posted at 2017-2-9 09:20

"... out of box thinking, pat yourself on the back...."

Only happens when you are "poor" - I saved a very long time for the Inspire 1 and just about was about to buy it when the I2 came out.  So now I'm out of money and cheaper option lenses is the way to go.  It is a bit wide but so very sharp overall that I consider it a valuable addition to the I2... I can live with it easily when the next Olympus 9mm option is nearly 3X more expensive!  Regards.

PS.  I still like to fly my P4 P more - it just feels so nice and light....  shoot me!  :-)
2017-2-9
Use props
NJ Flying Slow
lvl.3
United States

I think you maybe fly the P4P more 'freely' perhaps..because it's a fraction of the cost.  I feel the same way flying my mavic or Yuneec
2017-2-9
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
South Africa

NJ Flying Slow  Posted at 2017-2-9 13:59
I think you maybe fly the P4P more 'freely' perhaps..because it's a fraction of the cost.  I feel the same way flying my mavic or Yuneec

Probably!  Always a little worried with the I2 because it is expensive and then also all the rumors and threads of falling out of the sky...
2017-2-10
Use props
NJ Flying Slow
lvl.3
United States

it's scary...I had an issue too but I think it was mostly my fault, fortunately my drone came back to me.  I think it is new and it is my belief that DJI is just scattered and can't handle the demand their customers are putting on them.  They put out amazing products but need a better development framework with more SOFTWARE testing and impact analysis on the functionalities of the bird.  Overtime I hope to see those negative posts die down.  
2017-2-10
Use props
smoak888
lvl.1
Flight distance : 472493 ft
United States

with this manual lens, are you able to record in RAW format?  I just got the Laowa 7.5 aerial version and it won't let me record in raw.  I can record prores to the SSD without any problems. Do you also get the no lens is attached error message?
2017-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules