Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Gates Pass and Tucson Mountain Park using powerdirector 15
1128 13 2017-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Clapper
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1528392 ft
United States

I gave up on Windows movie maker and got cyberlink powerdirector 15. Here is my first video made with it.

2017-2-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Is that what Arizona looks like in the winter? Wow, no wonder so many Canadians move down there.
It's sure a warm inviting area, with a lot of wide open wilderness to see. I could feel my arthritic pain, getting eased up, just from the video.  ;-)

It's so different from Canada. All those cactus and desert plants. Really a nice place to live... Thanks for sharing it with the forum.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-5
Use props
Hoomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 231394 ft
United States

Yep, that's what it looks like right now. Our daytime highs this weekend were in the mid to high 70s (F), and by the end of the week, we're predicted to be up in the 80s.

One thing to remember if you visit down here and go hiking (we have LOTS of trails in the Tucson area), is that pretty much EVERYTHING has thorns. I always have a Leatherman multitool with me, especially when I'm out on a trail.

Clapper's doing some very nice videos of the area. Makes me glad it's not a competition.
2017-2-5
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

Weren't you concerned about hitting some of those cacti that might have been just a bit taller than you thought they were?
2017-2-5
Use props
Clapper
lvl.1
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-5 01:27
Is that what Arizona looks like in the winter? Wow, no wonder so many Canadians move down there.
It's sure a warm inviting area, with a lot of wide open wilderness to see. I could feel my arthritic pain, getting eased up, just from the video.  ;-)

We have been getting great weather lately. It is really sunny and warm. I feel sorry for the rest of the world. :-).
2017-2-5
Use props
Clapper
lvl.1
United States

DanMan32 Posted at 2017-2-5 16:24
Weren't you concerned about hitting some of those cacti that might have been just a bit taller than you thought they were?

I intentionally flew close to the first couple but the land was sloping down (you really can't tell in the video). SoI knew I wouldn't hit them.
2017-2-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Clapper Posted at 2017-2-5 19:46
We have been getting great weather lately. It is really sunny and warm. I feel sorry for the rest of the world. :-).

Yes, it looks like great weather. I've lived in Canada all my life, so never experienced life in the  Sunny Lane. Not sure if I would enjoy the summer heat in Arizona. All though the deep cold of winter can be pretty uninteresting, if you don't embrace winter sports and outdoors activities. So keep your ice skates sharp, and the ski pass updated. We have a new winter sport here now, Crashed Ice. Check it out on YouTube if not already familiar. . . Pretty fast paced and could be dangerous, if you aren't in the lead. What do you do in the desert? I can see a dune buggy in my minds eye. Haha
Nothing to feel sorry for us about, living in a huge country with a small population is incredible freedom.

RedHotPoker

2017-2-5
Use props
Hoomi
Second Officer
United States

The summer heat can be pretty intense, but I have never had to shovel sunshine out of my driveway to get to work in the morning.

We have bicycling and hiking weather pretty much year-round in Tucson. In fact, one of the biggest bicycling events in the country, El Tour de Tucson, takes place every year on the Saturday before Thanksgiving, so mid-November. There are many great trails for mountain bikes, and motorized off-road vehicles such as dirt bikes and ATV's are popular as well. Fishing and boating are again pretty much year-'round activities. The Fort Lowell Shootout Soccer tournament for kids takes place in the middle of January, and we're currently in the middle of the big Gem and Mineral Show (not a very good time to try and book an economical hotel room in Tucson, though). The golf courses stay open all year, though competing with the Snow Birds for tee-times during the winter months can be challenging, I hear.

We're only a few hours drive from warm water scuba diving in the Sea of Cortez, and an even shorter drive to winter snow in the White Mountains and the Flagstaff areas.

Canada is gorgeous territory, and if I could handle the winters, I wouldn't mind retiring to such a place. For now, between having my employment here, and not doing well with the cold, I'm happy to be in Tucson.
2017-2-6
Use props
Clapper
lvl.1
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-5 20:44
Yes, it looks like great weather. I've lived in Canada all my life, so never experienced life in the  Sunny Lane. Not sure if I would enjoy the summer heat in Arizona. All though the deep cold of winter can be pretty uninteresting, if you don't embrace winter sports and outdoors activities. So keep your ice skates sharp, and the ski pass updated. We have a new winter sport here now, Crashed Ice. Check it out on YouTube if not already familiar. . . Pretty fast paced and could be dangerous, if you aren't in the lead. What do you do in the desert? I can see a dune buggy in my minds eye. Haha
Nothing to feel sorry for us about, living in a huge country with a small population is incredible freedom.

I lived in New England most of my life and at age 50 I had enough. It is not just the cold long winters, it is the damp humid air. It made me sick.  I can't take it. I feel so much better in the dry air and yes even the heat feels good most of the time. I know summer is hot, but the swimming pool is there and if I am just too sick of the heat I drive up to Summerhaven on Mt Lemmon where it is always 20 degrees cooler in the summer. Northern climates are for people tougher than me!
2017-2-7
Use props
Clapper
lvl.1
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-5 20:44

All I do (besides flying and editing) is pool lounging, dog walking, driving and eating. I used to ride a motorcycle, but the cars were out to kill me and I got tired of people pulling out in front of me. So I got a convertible which also allows me to take the dog on my little trips, so win-win. Freedom here is pretty decent for U.S.A. anyway. Arizona for the most part is not a highly regulated or restrictive state in terms of daily lifestyle stuff, at least compared to the coastal states which tend to regulate and restrict everything because of course the government knows what is best for everyone.
2017-2-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Clapper Posted at 2017-2-7 06:11
All I do (besides flying and editing) is pool lounging, dog walking, driving and eating. I used to ride a motorcycle, but the cars were out to kill me and I got tired of people pulling out in front of me. So I got a convertible which also allows me to take the dog on my little trips, so win-win. Freedom here is pretty decent for U.S.A. anyway. Arizona for the most part is not a highly regulated or restrictive state in terms of daily lifestyle stuff, at least compared to the coastal states which tend to regulate and restrict everything because of course the government knows what is best for everyone.

RC Flying is great, but at this time of year, it's not easy to enjoy that outside, when the winter weather doesn't cooperate. If it were me, I'd live on the mountain. Or have air conditioning for the real hot days.) My family are from Canmore Alberta, so mountain life is a familiar environment. ;-)
Because of our location, here in central Alberta the cold is dry. Not that that's any more fun, but damp cold feels much worse to me. You gradually acclimatize yourself to the cold, or it can be unbearable.
I'm not much of a swimmer any more, so the pool side would only interest me if there were bathing beauties, lounging in the sun. That would keep me smiling... Love my SpYder RS-S, so I can relate to your bike riding glory. Atleast with the Can Am, I am much more visible to other motorists. Never had a problem with unruly drivers. But there are only a million people in this city, so even during rush hour traffic, it is bearable. And we have some of the worst drivers in Canada, right here in the Alberta capital city. Having a dog would be great, I still miss both of mine, but they're so much work, time, care, expense with medical issues when they get older. They sure do love having the wind in their faces, so having a convertible  would be ultimate for that. We have several large off leash dog parks here, and that was a lot of fun, for them and myself also. It was always interesting seeing all the various breeds and colours. And that was just their friendly owners. Chuckles
It doesn't matter where you live, the government are always trying to be overly involved, one way or the other. Ah but yeah, having some personal freedom is always welcome. Move to cold Alaska, for much more of that. Haha
Not sure what your personal lifestyle choices are, that the Feds need to interfere? But keep them practices to yourself, and that wouldn't be a concern. Unless of course you are speaking of illegal activities. Then yes, it's best to move to remote areas, or to Arizona. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Hoomi Posted at 2017-2-6 13:00
The summer heat can be pretty intense, but I have never had to shovel sunshine out of my driveway to get to work in the morning.

We have bicycling and hiking weather pretty much year-round in Tucson. In fact, one of the biggest bicycling events in the country, El Tour de Tucson, takes place every year on the Saturday before Thanksgiving, so mid-November. There are many great trails for mountain bikes, and motorized off-road vehicles such as dirt bikes and ATV's are popular as well. Fishing and boating are again pretty much year-'round activities. The Fort Lowell Shootout Soccer tournament for kids takes place in the middle of January, and we're currently in the middle of the big Gem and Mineral Show (not a very good time to try and book an economical hotel room in Tucson, though). The golf courses stay open all year, though competing with the Snow Birds for tee-times during the winter months can be challenging, I hear.

Two paragraphs later, my iPad battery died, so we begin over. . . Oh well. Not the end of the world
Yes, when the heavy wet snow falls, it could be back breaking. Living in a rental here now, so that hassle is presently over for me.
I used to love riding my ten speeds and mountain bike when I still lived in Vancouver BC. Now my SpYder RS-S takes me where I wish to go.
Watching the Tour de France was a great past time, but now a days, with all the cheaters, steroids, blood dopers, and more recently, small motors helping propel competitors through the mountain passes, I've lost pretty well all interest. There used to be real athletes, guys like Belgian Eddy Merckx, who had such strong leg muscles, they could kick open a safe. I do still love fishing in our lakes and streams. Bowhunting in the fall, is a lot of hard work, but well worth the effort. I love being in a treestand for days on end, waiting for that grand opportunity. Several of my nieces and nephews are soccer players, they referee games too. One nephew had taken his playing hockey to a higher level. Quite the athlete... Glad my sister and her hubby allowed them that luxury.
Believe it or not, I used to collect rocks, and also have a nice precious stone collection. That was something I enjoyed immensely. Being an archer, searching for native arrow heads was fun too.
I'm not a golfer, though We have Snow Birds here as well, Owls, Hawks, Eagles.  
The other snow birds are pilots. www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/snowbirds/index.page

RedHotPoker

2017-2-7
Use props
Hoomi
Second Officer
United States

If you enjoy archery, the PSE factory is right here in Tucson. Their factory store always has good deals on last year's models, and they have both an indoor and outdoor range on premises.

I understand Big Mig was a class-act in professional bicycle racing as well, but like you, after all the scandals, I've lost interest in following the professional circuit. My wife and I both have recumbent trikes now, and enjoy taking those out for leisurely spins on the extensive network of bike paths here in Tucson. I got to meet Greg Lemond some years back, when he came to town to speak at a local bike shop owned by a friend of his. Nice guy.
2017-2-8
Use props
SRO
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2405174 ft
Switzerland

Very beautiful landscape. Great job!
2017-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules