Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Relying on App warnings for calibration
861 6 2017-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chriscycling
lvl.4
United Kingdom

After reading lots of posts on Mavic crashes it seems that relying on the app to prompt you to do the 3 key calibrations - IMU, Compass & RC is a major issue. I for one have never seen a prompt on my P3, P4 and now my Mavic to do any of these. Anyone had a prompt and when ?
2017-2-5
Use props
Dronoob
Second Officer
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

You assume that crashes have been caused by uncalibrated sensors. Why do you think so?
2017-2-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I have had, IMU warning on my P4 , you can simply go to app to check levels of IMU and compass,

One problem I see a lot here is , someone gets a compass interference warning and immediately goes and calibrates compass in the same spot they get this warning even though it says calibrate or move to another area.
When they calibrate in the same area the compass will calibrate, but will also take on all the characteristics of the area it being calibrated in, and as soon as it flys out of this area problems.
You have never seen a prompt, that should be perceived as a good thing.

Just check your IMU compass levels in your app on a regular basis, if they are good then you don't have a problem.
Just remember dji have put this in their manual so you will find this should be part of your warranty.

Good luck..
2017-2-5
Use props
Chriscycling
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Dronoob Posted at 2017-2-5 05:01
You assume that crashes have been caused by uncalibrated sensors. Why do you think so?

From my experience with my P4 - it never warned me to calibrate anything and flew terribly out of the box. I decided to calibrate everything and it fixed the issue. Looking at posts where people are getting uncontrollable flight behaviour but not reporting any warnings from the app. Most people say 'I didn't get any warnings' before crashes etc. If you take a brand new drone out of the box and it doesn't prompt you to calibrate anything yet all the advice says calibrate a new drone. I really do wonder how accurate the app is on prompting users to calibrate. It would be good to understand what parameters the software looks at before triggering a warning/prompt.
2017-2-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Chriscycling Posted at 2017-2-5 08:20
From my experience with my P4 - it never warned me to calibrate anything and flew terribly out of the box. I decided to calibrate everything and it fixed the issue. Looking at posts where people are getting uncontrollable flight behaviour but not reporting any warnings from the app. Most people say 'I didn't get any warnings' before crashes etc. If you take a brand new drone out of the box and it doesn't prompt you to calibrate anything yet all the advice says calibrate a new drone. I really do wonder how accurate the app is on prompting users to calibrate. It would be good to understand what parameters the software looks at before triggering a warning/prompt.

I think you will find most of the crashes, conversations start like CRASHED MY DRONE TODAY BEFORE YOU ASK YES CALIBRATED COMPASS IMU GIMBAL ETC, the new p4p arrived in the beginning with notice to calibrate IMU, so to say you never get warnings is incorrect.
2017-2-5
Use props
Chriscycling
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-5 09:38
I think you will find most of the crashes, conversations start like CRASHED MY DRONE TODAY BEFORE YOU ASK YES CALIBRATED COMPASS IMU GIMBAL ETC, the new p4p arrived in the beginning with notice to calibrate IMU, so to say you never get warnings is incorrect.

Thanks - I've never seen a warning so wanted to check they actually happen.
2017-2-5
Use props
rick39
Second Officer
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

I researched how to properly calibrate all sensors that can be calibrated and did just that from the day I got my Mavic. Since then, my first check is to see the state of the sensors before much else. My reasoning is that there have been so many reports of crashes that I have to satisfy myself there was nothing I could have done more in the event of an unexpected anomaly. If you research how to do proper calibrations then do it as it takes some of the guess work out of ensuring a safe to fly drone.
2017-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules