Gimbal calibration issues
2066 19 2017-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jambond54
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1273064 ft
United States

When you calibrate your gimble do you notice the readout where it says that the calibration is complete? Every time I calibrate the gimbal the readout reads that the calibration is complete at 66%. Is this normal for the Phantom 4? I've seen on YouTube where the gimbal on the Phantom 4 gimbal calibration readout read calibration complete at 100%. Could the gimbal calibration complete at 66% cause the tilted horizon? Just my observation!  Please give me some insight on this Issue! Thanks a million.
2017-2-5
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120066 ft
United States

it is not normal to go to just 66%. is the aircraft sitting on a level surface, is the gimbal guard removed,, maybe retry it again !
2017-2-5
Use props
Jambond54
lvl.2
United States

Grizz 1 Posted at 2017-2-5 14:09
it is not normal to go to just 66%. is the aircraft sitting on a level surface, is the gimbal guard removed,, maybe retry it again !

Yes the phantom  is level. The guard is removed. Thanks for your insight.
2017-2-5
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120066 ft
United States

are you using the DJI GO app or the DJI GO 4 app ?
2017-2-5
Use props
Jambond54
lvl.2
United States

Grizz 1 Posted at 2017-2-5 14:37
are you using the DJI GO app or the DJI GO 4 app ?

It does it on both apps. Thanks for your response.
2017-2-5
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Jambond54 Posted at 2017-2-5 14:21
Yes the phantom  is level. The guard is removed. Thanks for your insight.

You may have to send it in for repair, you say that you have done every thing to try and fix this problem in your other threads, but nothing works, so I think that it is a hardware problem, even your little rubber piece behind the ribbon cable is a temp fix, have you emailed dji?
2017-2-5
Use props
Jambond54
lvl.2
United States

Nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2017-2-5 15:48
You may have to send it in for repair, you say that you have done every thing to try and fix this problem in your other threads, but nothing works, so I think that it is a hardware problem, even your little rubber piece behind the ribbon cable is a temp fix, have you emailed dji?

Not yet. I wanted to see if any other pilots were having the same issue. Thanks for responding.  Have you ever seen this issue?
2017-2-5
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Haven't seen this, but I can assure you that 'tilted horizon' is experienced after 100% is reported on completion of gimbal calibration.
But the question is, after seeing 66% for calibration, is the gimbal operating to keep the camera level or not?
2017-2-5
Use props
Jambond54
lvl.2
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-5 17:38
Haven't seen this, but I can assure you that 'tilted horizon' is experienced after 100% is reported on completion of gimbal calibration.
But the question is, after seeing 66% for calibration, is the gimbal operating to keep the camera level or not?

Even at 66%completion  the gimbal is level. The tilt is maybe 5 to 10 degrees to the left most of the time, but I have seen it 20 to 30 degrees to the left and then level sometimes  all while pan to the lef Do you have the same problem ?
2017-2-5
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Jambond54 Posted at 2017-2-5 18:43
Even at 66%completion  the gimbal is level. The tilt is maybe 5 to 10 degrees to the left most of the time, but I have seen it 20 to 30 degrees to the left and then level sometimes  all while pan to the lef Do you have the same problem ?

Sorry - I'm a little confused. You say after calibration (to whatever %) the gimbal is level, but then you say it's not. Do you mean that it's level, but when you fly it becomes tilted, and even worse when you turn - not yaw - to the left?

Certainly my experience anyway, that the gimbal is configured perfectly on the ground, but goes slightly askew in flight. I deal with this by turning on gridlines, and then in Gimbal Settings select Adjust Gimbal Roll. This opens a small window which you can leave on your screen. If you note in flight that anything isn't straight against the gridlines, you can then adjust it on the fly (hey, a joke!) by either tapping 'roll right' or 'roll left'. You may have to edit out the jerks you'll see in the resulting video though...
2017-2-5
Use props
Jambond54
lvl.2
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-5 18:53
Sorry - I'm a little confused. You say after calibration (to whatever %) the gimbal is level, but then you say it's not. Do you mean that it's level, but when you fly it becomes tilted, and even worse when you turn - not yaw - to the left?

Certainly my experience anyway, that the gimbal is configured perfectly on the ground, but goes slightly askew in flight. I deal with this by turning on gridlines, and then in Gimbal Settings select Adjust Gimbal Roll. This opens a small window which you can leave on your screen. If you note in flight that anything isn't straight against the gridlines, you can then adjust it on the fly (hey, a joke!) by either tapping 'roll right' or 'roll left'. You may have to edit out the jerks you'll see in the resulting video though...

Yes the gimbal is level after calibration.  The tilt happens while panning to the left no matter how slow you pan. Yes I adjust the gimble while flying and it will still tilt when you pan.
2017-2-5
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Jambond54 Posted at 2017-2-5 16:21
Not yet. I wanted to see if any other pilots were having the same issue. Thanks for responding.  Have you ever seen this issue?

Yes I have heard of this a long time ago when the P4's first come out there were a lot that experienced this very bad horizon tilt (and some not calibrating properly), the bad ones had to be sent back in (HW issues), the others, there was a FW update that cured most of the problems.
That's why we ask for some footage to see how bad it is.
Now for the 66% calibration problem this maybe related to the gimbal HW issues.
DJI won't bring out updated FW to try and cure this problem for a handful of people, you will have to send it in for them to repair.
2017-2-6
Use props
Jambond54
lvl.2
United States

Nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2017-2-6 01:17
Yes I have heard of this a long time ago when the P4's first come out there were a lot that experienced this very bad horizon tilt (and some not calibrating properly), the bad ones had to be sent back in (HW issues), the others, there was a FW update that cured most of the problems.
That's why we ask for some footage to see how bad it is.
Now for the 66% calibration problem this maybe related to the gimbal HW issues.

Thank you for your insight and support.  I will send it in for repair.  I just  hate to have it gone for a while,. I fly almost everyday  if the weather allows it. I live in South  Georgia  and it is winter, but the temp is in the 70's, great flying weather.  I have some video shoots setup so I will have to reschedule  them since my drone will be in the shop. Thank you so much for you information and  insight.

Sincerely

John
2017-2-6
Use props
Dog Man
lvl.4
Flight distance : 34380 ft
United States

Jambond54 Posted at 2017-2-5 16:21

Had the same problem, send my back, DJI just received today, no update yet.
2017-2-10
Use props
fans3d7e60a1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1555344 ft
United States

For the second time in a row after more than 100 flights, in mid flight my gimble suddenly goes limp and then tries to correct scaring the hell out of me looking like it's struggling to stay airborne but I can see it's flying fine, I immediately land and can see the camera not pointing ahead as it should, both times I've powered it down and restarted it and the gimble goes back to its correct positioning, and both times I've made sure I'm on level ground and performed a gimble calibration, I don't understand why this is happening, is this something that requires it going back to DJI in a California? This is not my original drone, the one I bought from Apple had severe range problems and the rubber feet in the landing gear were falling off, so I sent it back to DJI and they sent me a refurbished one, ( I could tell because the rubber landing gear skids were dirty and scuffed)

Is this refurbished one beginning to fail?
2017-2-10
Use props
freelanderuk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 177720 ft
United Kingdom

fans3d7e60a1 Posted at 2017-2-10 18:10
For the second time in a row after more than 100 flights, in mid flight my gimble suddenly goes limp and then tries to correct scaring the hell out of me looking like it's struggling to stay airborne but I can see it's flying fine, I immediately land and can see the camera not pointing ahead as it should, both times I've powered it down and restarted it and the gimble goes back to its correct positioning, and both times I've made sure I'm on level ground and performed a gimble calibration, I don't understand why this is happening, is this something that requires it going back to DJI in a California? This is not my original drone, the one I bought from Apple had severe range problems and the rubber feet in the landing gear were falling off, so I sent it back to DJI and they sent me a refurbished one, ( I could tell because the rubber landing gear skids were dirty and scuffed)

Is this refurbished one beginning to fail?

When you say you make sure are on level ground to do the gimbal calibration, try doing on at home on a surface that is level , I have a work top that I checked with a spirit level to do mu IMU and gimble calibrations on and never had a problem , this my help you or may not but it's worth trying
2017-2-11
Use props
fans3d7e60a1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1555344 ft
United States

freelanderuk Posted at 2017-2-11 00:05
When you say you make sure are on level ground to do the gimbal calibration, try doing on at home on a surface that is level , I have a work top that I checked with a spirit level to do mu IMU and gimble calibrations on and never had a problem , this my help you or may not but it's worth trying

I'm on a 18" Tile floor which I also checked with a level, and the flights have started out with everything correct and then during the flight the camera & gimble suddenly go crazy, each of the 2 times its happened it scares the hell out of you cause you're looking at the display and the effect is like the drone is going out of control and is going to crash, I literally thought at first that maybe I lost a prop and it was struggling to stay aloft.
2017-2-11
Use props
freelanderuk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 177720 ft
United Kingdom

Have you tried doing a factory reset with the dji assistant on pc then redoing all your calibrations
2017-2-11
Use props
Jambond54
lvl.2
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-5 18:53

Yes that is what I'm  saying. The tilt only happens when panning.
2017-2-12
Use props
Jambond54
lvl.2
United States

Dog Man Posted at 2017-2-10 07:06
Had the same problem, send my back, DJI just received today, no update yet.

Let me know what they find.
2017-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules