Drone insurance
1786 14 2017-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
piowoc73
lvl.3
United States

Hi,

what kind of insurance (if any) do you guys have for your drones?
I was hoping it's going to be included in my business insurance (photo / video studio), but I was informed this morning that it's considered an aircraft (surprise!?), so it's not included in the policy I have.

So, can anybody recommend any insurance here in the US, which I wouldn't have problem with later on in case of a claim?

Thanks!
Peter
2017-2-6
Use props
T3rdEye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 221844 ft
United States

Hi piowoc73,
Many on here have gone with State Farm to insure lost, crash, stolen, etc for thier sUAS.  It depends on what state you are located in.
Do a search in the forum for "drone insurance" and there are about 4 pages of coments.

For liablility insurance ($1,000,000) check out "Verifly"  

https://verifly.com/

2017-2-6
Use props
piowoc73
lvl.3
United States

T3rdEye Posted at 2017-2-6 10:54
Hi piowoc73,
Many on here have gone with State Farm to insure lost, crash, stolen, etc for thier sUAS.  It depends on what state you are located in.
Do a search in the forum for "drone insurance" and there are about 4 pages of coments.

I contacted State Farm and asked if they would be able to do the commercial insurance, including personal liability and the damage / loss of the drone, but they haven't replied to me yet.
2017-2-14
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

I used State farm under their Personal Articles coverage (which is what everyone has been getting). I cannot answer as to commercial however. And they did ask me if it was commercial or not (it's not for me).
2017-2-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Learning to fly well, is my assurance, of having the opportunity, for flying tomorrow.

It costs less than a broker... Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-2-14
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-14 13:35
Learning to fly well, is my assurance, of having the opportunity, for flying tomorrow.

True, but knowing that if something happens to my drone, I will get a check and subsequently a new drone, is quite comforting. Especially when flying over water etc.
It's hard to train for a bird strike/meteor strike etc.
2017-2-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-2-14 13:52
True, but knowing that if something happens to my drone, I will get a check and subsequently a new drone, is quite comforting. Especially when flying over water etc.
It's hard to train for a bird strike/meteor strike etc.

Meteor? Is that a Ford model? Haha

RedHotPoker
2017-2-14
Use props
fansd1247f6a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 932 ft
United States

my home owners covers it .......amer. family
2017-2-15
Use props
T3rdEye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 221844 ft
United States

piowoc73 Posted at 2017-2-14 11:35
I contacted State Farm and asked if they would be able to do the commercial insurance, including personal liability and the damage / loss of the drone, but they haven't replied to me yet.

Piowoc73,  How did your State Farm insurance work out?
2017-2-18
Use props
Jarrod7
lvl.1

United States

State Farm personal articles policy is the way to go! 60 dollars for a year of coverage. No deductible and covers theft , loss, and damage. Someone shot my p4 clear out of the sky I filed the claim and police report and they cut me a check for the full amount within seven days. Best 60 dollars I ever spent.
2017-2-19
Use props
Tom24nh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 174239 ft
United States

when something unexplained happens with nothing due to pilot error happens learning to fly well costs the price of a new drone.
2017-3-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Tom24nh Posted at 2017-3-7 18:39
when something unexplained happens with nothing due to pilot error happens learning to fly well costs the price of a new drone.

Man, how true!! And crashing is also part of learning to fly... ;-)

Unlike a slap on the wrist, when it costs you a few bucks, the lessons can really add up.

Hopefully, even with great coverage, you'll never have to use it.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-7
Use props
Propwash
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

Thats a fair comment but  wont cover public liability.
2017-3-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Propwash Posted at 2017-3-7 19:13
Thats a fair comment but  wont cover public liability.

I have that aspect covered. By flying predominately at www.ercha.ca
To buy a membership, we also must have a MAAC membership.
http://www.maac.ca/en/index.php
That provides it's members, $8M liability insurance.

RedHotPoker

2017-3-7
Use props
Sloan Fischer
lvl.3
United States

Get the DJI insurance! It is great and you get a full repair with no extra costs if anything ever happens to your drone! You just ship it back for repairs.
2017-3-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules