Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Gimbal Cover/Sport Mode??
1819 18 2017-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gallacherboy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 778209 ft
United Kingdom

Hey guys, I am very convinced that you should fly with the Gimbal cover during Sport Mode. We all know that it serves as protection for the lens and outer construction. When clicked into Sport mode, when completing a run or evening turning the Mavic, it thrashes the Gimbal around and I have been warned that the Gimbal Pitch has reached its Maximum Tilt Limit with out touching the Gimbal Tilt wheel on the remote. This is wind being pushed against the gimbal and camera, if you were place the Mavic in from of a high speed fan, it will only withstand on coming wind to a point, then once its reached its limit, it gets thrashed around. Some of you might not agree but on the DJI Mavic Website you can clearly see the Mavic pitched in a degree as if it was flying in Sport Mode with the Gimbal Cover on. Gave this some thought, the Gyros on the Mavic are designed for in flight turbulence for a smoother image while flying/tracking a subject of interest as we all know.
So guys, lets share our thoughts and opinions and leave negativity out of the discussion, we all trying to figure out whats good and whats not good for the Mavic. Leave your input and respect others please.

So guys, give it a test, post your outcomes onto this Thread.

Thanks

2017-2-6
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

No. The dome cover on blocks critical cooling air from getting to the vents that lead to the internal electronics.
2017-2-6
Use props
Nifty
lvl.3
Flight distance : 80138 ft
United States

I am curious about this as well. Even in the videos produced by DJI they go back and forth from having the cover on. I have read on a thread on here that you should only have it on if it is needed due to weather but I personally wouldn't be flying in anything but clear skies. You do bring up a good point with the wind and the more powerful movements in sport mode.

I personally fly with it on all the time but I have only gone into sport mode once for about 20 seconds.

One small thing to consider I noticed if I am flying and aiming the drone towards the sun I sometimes get almost like a line shutter when watching the video that I can't see while facing away from the sun. I'm guessing its possibly caused by the sunlight coming through the propellers and have been curious to see if it goes away without the cover but I will have to wait for warmer weathers to know for sure.
2017-2-6
Use props
Gallacherboy
lvl.3
United Kingdom

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-2-6 12:23
No. The dome cover on blocks critical cooling air from getting to the vents that lead to the internal electronics.

I dont think it blocks air going in because their is a small slit on the side that must act as a vent, allowing air to pass, however you could always make small holes or slits.
2017-2-6
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Captain
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

I am hearing this from occasional posters both here and on mavicpilots  but I have seen no evidence that this is a problem. Do you know that dome cover really blocks critical air (it clearly blocks some air) or is this just something you have read in other posts?  This isn't intended to be critical. I have been trying to pin down the basis for this statement and haven't found anything yet.
2017-2-6
Use props
bunny too
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13442 ft
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-2-6 13:10
I am hearing this from occasional posters both here and on mavicpilots  but I have seen no evidence that this is a problem. Do you know that dome cover really blocks critical air (it clearly blocks some air) or is this just something you have read in other posts?  This isn't intended to be critical. I have been trying to pin down the basis for this statement and haven't found anything yet.

An excellent and well written question, I am very interested in an answer, I fly with the gimbal most of the time.
Regards,
-d.
2017-2-6
Use props
VAS67
lvl.4
Flight distance : 265984 ft
United Kingdom

Just my thoughts, slow flight Gimbal needs to be off, allowing the fan to suck in air as required for cooling.
For faster flights Gimbal cover on to protect lens and take strain off Gimbal motors and then rely on cooling fins on the bottom of the mavic for cooling the electronics.
2017-2-6
Use props
Gallacherboy
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Nifty Posted at 2017-2-6 12:33
I am curious about this as well. Even in the videos produced by DJI they go back and forth from having the cover on. I have read on a thread on here that you should only have it on if it is needed due to weather but I personally wouldn't be flying in anything but clear skies. You do bring up a good point with the wind and the more powerful movements in sport mode.

I personally fly with it on all the time but I have only gone into sport mode once for about 20 seconds.

Thanks for your feed back, I fly with the dome on in Cloudy conditions, no beans of sunlight to cause flare.  I have made a sun hood from a Gimbal Cover which works quite well in preventing unwanted flares. My question is: can the gimbal withstand such powerful onward wind at high speeds or on windy days? Will it cause damage or shorten the life span of the gimbal? Will it cause the Mavic to use more power to keep the camera steady?

DJI included a Gimbal Cover for a reason, not only to protect it but also in flight. Most crashes that have been reported have broken gimbals. Interested to read more opinions
2017-2-6
Use props
Gallacherboy
lvl.3
United Kingdom

bunny too Posted at 2017-2-6 13:20
An excellent and well written question, I am very interested in an answer, I fly with the gimbal most of the time.
Regards,
-d.

Thats awesome, thank you for your feed back and if you do test in any other flight modes that requires your gimbal cover on, please share your experiences
2017-2-6
Use props
Gallacherboy
lvl.3
United Kingdom

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-2-6 13:10

I would totally agree with you 100%
2017-2-6
Use props
bunny too
Second Officer
United States

Gallacherboy Posted at 2017-2-6 13:54
Thats awesome, thank you for your feed back and if you do test in any other flight modes that requires your gimbal cover on, please share your experiences

To clarify, my apologies, I fly with the gimbal cover on (and often the gimbal lock by accident.) I was not aware of a cooling need up front, one would think the manual would declare such accommodations. I suppose a middle ground would be the sunshade cover sold on Amazon; on a side note the one time I had a minor collision was without the cover.
Regards,
-d.
2017-2-6
Use props
Gallacherboy
lvl.3
United Kingdom

bunny too Posted at 2017-2-6 15:39
To clarify, my apologies, I fly with the gimbal cover on (and often the gimbal lock by accident.) I was not aware of a cooling need up front, one would think the manual would declare such accommodations. I suppose a middle ground would be the sunshade cover sold on Amazon; on a side note the one time I had a minor collision was without the cover.
Regards,
-d.

Try remember to remove your gimbal clamp as this cold damage you Gyros and cause a clicking effect when panning or tilting
2017-2-7
Use props
bunny too
Second Officer
United States

Gallacherboy Posted at 2017-2-7 05:45
Try remember to remove your gimbal clamp as this cold damage you Gyros and cause a clicking effect when panning or tilting

Thank you Gallacherboy, I put a red ribbon on the mount so I should not forget.
Regards,
-d.
2017-2-7
Use props
fanse74143a9
lvl.1

South Korea

i don't think so.

if you will block air hole by Dom. then airs will go out into the bottom. you can't feel it by your palm
2017-2-7
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

I my opinion? Cooler, not hotter, temps for electronics is best. HEat is the enemy of electronics.

For ME? No globe. For you? It's your Mavic. Do as you please. :-)

Here is why I go no globe.

And in my MANY flights of Phantoms? I never had or needed a clear globe over the camera. Just was no need.

2017-2-7
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Captain
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

The Gimbal clamp clearly needs to be off but so far I have seen no evidence that there is any harm in flying with the Gimbal cover on.   If I am not shooting video I will fly with it on but really want to know if there is a cooling issue. I haven't been able to find anything other than supposition that supports this view so far.   On the side of the issue I have flown in very strong winds in Sport mode with the cover off. I have gotten great video and the gimbal seems to do fine. That said, while I flew pretty fast (a max of 43 mph on two flights), I did not do sudden turns. I was filming and the idea is to get smooth video.  It's possible that extreme maneuvers in sport mode might be  a situation where it's actually better to have the cover on to avoid stress on the gimbal. Of course this is just speculation but it seems reasonable. I still would like to see something authoritative on the cooling issue with the gimbal on.
2017-2-7
Use props
FireMonkey
lvl.1

South Korea

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-2-7 06:10
I my opinion? Cooler, not hotter, temps for electronics is best. HEat is the enemy of electronics.

For ME? No globe. For you? It's your Mavic. Do as you please. :-)

what is that means?

Globe on - 103

Glove off  - 92

i think, that's no problem. yea~ that's your choice
2017-2-7
Use props
silkstone_photo
lvl.1
United Kingdom

My gimbal has just malfunctioned (burnt out?) as a result of flying in sports mode without a cover. This is not something that had occurred to me but my gimbal is now completely bust and I'm not quite sure what to do :/
2017-4-26
Use props
Xman1
Second Officer

United States

Just some additional details.  Internal core temp is not best checked by looking at the heat sink.  My PC for example is 87 F at this point in time, so the Mavic reaching over 100 F at the heat sink in exposed air means it is nice and toasty on the inside.  10 degree difference is a big deal as this heat sink is sinking heat for the entire internals, not just the CPU cores.

If you like your Mavic and want it to avoid dropping into a lake any time soon, I wouldn't fly with the cover, but to each his own.
2017-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules