Phantom 2 Vision FPV Black Screen
31310 58 2017-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cobeg1966
New

United Kingdom

ricom831 Posted at 2017-3-22 10:21
Hello! I can confirm that I am able to recover the unit and another user on this forum posted their unit to me last week - I did the same recover method as I did on my unit and that user now has full live view again. Paul007UK is the user on here.

Hi
Are you still offering the FPV fix for the P2V+ ? More than happy to pay someone to fix this for me, it looks way beyond me ! I love flying the bird and catching great videos, gutted when the live video went black this morning.
Contact me on edwards.clan@sky.com
Thanks !
2017-11-6
Use props
fansaeda11b7
New

United States

If you turn on the controller, then the phantom, wait 20 seconds then turn on the WiFi repeater you will always have live feed..
2017-11-19
Use props
fansaeda11b7
New

United States

Chukigek Posted at 2017-7-7 04:39
Having the same issue - phantom 2 vision + produce no live video after about 9 months of storage. Updated everything, rebind wifi extender, formatted SD card - nothing helps. As in many other cases I can get telemetry and control camera, but no live video signal. Video transmitter already been replaced by dealer two years ago. It worked flawless since then. Please help!

Turn on the controller, then turn on ur phantom, wait about 20 seconds and then turn on ur WiFi repeater last, connect and u'll always have live feed.. I spent 3 days pulling hair out trying to figure it out...
2017-11-19
Use props
fansad3b9634
New
Turkey

Jeremey Posted at 2017-3-2 04:39
Hi,

Please can someone help me!!!!

Original DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus v3 WiFi Signal TX modull modules (Part 3)
I just bought one of this module and replaced my old. I get a video feed on the screen now.

https://www.ebay.com/i/263315537469?rt=nc
2017-11-30
Use props
thpnne67
lvl.1

United States

fansaeda11b7 Posted at 2017-11-19 19:13
Turn on the controller, then turn on ur phantom, wait about 20 seconds and then turn on ur WiFi repeater last, connect and u'll always have live feed.. I spent 3 days pulling hair out trying to figure it out...

Thank you for the concise instructions.  This fix worked for me.
2017-12-2
Use props
TheMann58
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansaeda11b7 Posted at 2017-11-19 19:13

Doesn't work - still get completely black camera screen image on iPhone running DJI Vision app.
2017-12-3
Use props
Willy48
lvl.1

United States

I deleted the most recent version of the app and installed DJI App 1.0.38 (old). It fixed my FPV issue. I did buy a refurbished camera from Rotor Logic, but since I have the Vision 2 (egg camera) and a friend has the Vision 2 plus, I sent the information to him for the Black screen. Both failures occurred after several months of storage. I am guessing the camera firmware has to match up to the DJI app. We both have android, so I am not sure if there is an IOS app available. My friend with the VP bought a new extender, and it did nothing to fix the issue.
2017-12-6
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

This guy says he will fix your P2V+ WiFi AC transmitter for $100 or your money back.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Pha ... :g:6u4AAOSw5VtaG68v
2017-12-6
Use props
Willy48
lvl.1

United States

If the transmitter is screwed up, it is a really good deal.
2017-12-6
Use props
Frednineeleven
New
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-9-19 17:15
Electronics as well as most things in this world don't last forever.  They age.  And they eventually stop working.  

There are a couple problems that can be fixed by replacing hardware.  

"  It has to be replaced.  Not sure if I can blame DJI directly for this.  Yes, they could have made it better and they did with the P3S and P3 4K."

The manufacturer is absolutely responsible for design failures. If it was the update, overheating or the unit being powered down so the nand looses it's identity is unknown, but what is known is the unit has a documented failure that users who operate within design spec, fails.  Regardless of the status of the warranty, a real company would step up and fix it EVEN IF THEY DON"T ACKNOWLEDGE THE ISSUE.  Instead, this company requires you to beat them up, before providing a solution.
I kept a flight log for my craft (the same as I would for a GA flight), put it up for 4 months storage. It functioned perfectly before storage, afterward failed FPV. Whereas I now have a solution, it took me far too long and required discussion documenting facts THEY KNOW.  That is inexcusable. Listen, they produce tech that is cutting edge, early adopters understand issues as such. Heck, if there was an external port available to flash the Wifi board, that would even be acceptable. But not modifying your warranty for a KNOWN DESIGN ISSUE except for customers that can document or make an intelligent argument is WRONG. It's just as wrong as sending reman units with low QC issues as "replacements". It too them three shipments to get me a satisfactory replacement and countless hours and time to negotiate a settlement. It's just plain unacceptable to design a device that doesn't know how to bootstrap itself unpowered for three months without an easily addressable and accessible port, or NOT ADVISING YOUR CUSTOMERS about the issue. It makes a significant statement about the companies business model.  After this issue, next time I'll roll my own.
2017-12-25
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

You have a good point and you stated it well.

Reminds me of a story from long ago - my friend's dad had an American made car (can't remember the name).  There was some sort of problem with the engine - a fundamental problem, and the warranty period was long past.  So he wrote a type-written letter to the company (this was before the internet) telling them he has been a loyal customer for X number of years but this particular problem never should have occurred.  And so on.  

The American car company replaced the man's engine at no cost to him.
2017-12-26
Use props
Dumitra D
New

United Kingdom

Problem with the black screen from the camera is from the wifi module(inside of the drone) i had that problem bit i sorted out. Buy a new module or fix your if you know what you doing
2018-7-21
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

I did some research into this.  This is not really DJI's fault.  If you research the NAND, you'll find that they do wear out with time.  They will wear out eventually and there's nothing anybody can do to stop it.  

From what I've read, flashing the NAND is not possible with a P2V, although it can be done with a P2V+.

My P2V+ got the black screen a few months ago and I couldn't get it to work.  Telemetry was perfect.  No FPV.  I tried linking over and over again about eight times.  No luck.  I was resigned to have to flash the NAND.  Then I stumbled upon this vid below.  This technique below works for me.  Be sure your P2 is not too warm before you start.  In the summer, I put the AC over an air conditioning vent for a few minutes before connecting.  

This does not fix the problem or repair the module, but it allows you to get FPV for a particular flight if you're willing to connect using this procedure.  

2018-7-21
Use props
Melvin Kessler
New

United States

fans95b80583 Posted at 2017-2-9 14:15
I would have to go back and check Telemetry but I think so. From what I hear, it seems more likely it's the wifi Module, but where can I get one and what does it cost. The question is why is this happening it to so many people. Is it now checper to just buy a new Phantom 3 from B&H.

what do you think of a class action law suit? I think they deserve one!
melrkes1@suddenlink.net
2019-1-15
Use props
Melvin Kessler
New

United States

dkapper Posted at 2017-9-19 16:07
After reading through this well-documented issue that seems to be afflicting a great number of Phantom Vision 2+ aircraft, my faith in this company has diminished greatly.  Sadly, I just purchased a Phantom 4 Pro, mostly because of the better camera.  Now I'm regretting that decision.  I had been using the Phantom 2 Vision+ as recently as a month ago for a client without any issues.  Since my purchase of the Phantom 4, I decided to try and get what little value is left on my lightly used, older drone.  I had some interest at a $300 price point - especially since I had some extra batteries and few other add-ons.  Unfortunately, as I prepared to demo the unit, the issue mentioned so frequently above, became an issue for me.  No live feed, but clear ability to operate the camera, send and receive telemetry, and generally function in every other way.   To realize that I'm going have to spend time and over $200 just to get $300 back for it is really disheartening.  To DJI, this problem is NOT a coincidence among all of these users.  Consider standing behind your products -  or customers that WANT to be loyal,  will be forced to move on to other manufacturers.  It's bad marketing to abandon customers that have spend a great deal of money on your products.  It may be profitable in the short run but it will eventually catch up with you - especially when word of poor customer support from DJI, starts getting around the internet.  In case you haven't noticed, it's already started.

What do you think of a Class Action suit? Lots of people hurt here and they (DJI) don't care.
melrkes1@suddenlink.net
2019-1-15
Use props
Melvin Kessler
New

United States

Frednineeleven Posted at 2017-12-25 16:46
"  It has to be replaced.  Not sure if I can blame DJI directly for this.  Yes, they could have made it better and they did with the P3S and P3 4K."

The manufacturer is absolutely responsible for design failures. If it was the update, overheating or the unit being powered down so the nand looses it's identity is unknown, but what is known is the unit has a documented failure that users who operate within design spec, fails.  Regardless of the status of the warranty, a real company would step up and fix it EVEN IF THEY DON"T ACKNOWLEDGE THE ISSUE.  Instead, this company requires you to beat them up, before providing a solution.

Anyone with half a brain can tell dji has made a faulty part. These fpv modules don't burn out after a long time they burn out like the batteries if not drained on storage. The new 3 has a chip that drains the battery to prevent this.
Dji has an awful customer service and seem to be a greedy company. They tell me that the part is not available now and the drone can't be fixed. I paid for them fixing it once and it lasted 3 or 4 months.
I truly believe this company should make parts for my 700.00 drone for years to come. They want me to buy a new 3 with a 15% discount. No I don't think so. No customer support.
I really think this is the kind of wrong that class action law suits are meant to correct. melrkes1@suddenlink.net
2019-1-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

RE my post #53, the youtube member removed the video because it wasn't 100%,  There are other videos like it though.  The idea is, you boot up the RE, wait until it boots, then boot up the AC, wait until it boots, then connect manually to your mobile device Phantom Wifi, then load the flight app, and it might bring you FPV.  

This worked for my + for a while, but then it stopped working.

Another trick is to cool the AC wifi module by putting the phantom in a refrigerator or near an AC duct or outside in cold weather for 15 mins.  Then it might work.  Don't fly with a cold flight battery.

This also worked for me on a P2V.

Neither of these tricks will work on every device.  Some won't work no matter what you do.

The sure fix if you own a + is to flash the NAND as described here.  This method is available because several smart owners got together and figured it out and were kind enough to share:
https://sites.google.com/view/phantom-2-wifi-module-fix/home

Here's an excellent video taken using the instructions above:

Obviously, if one doesn't want to get involved with the repair, one can simply replace the wifi module with a good used or freshly-flashed module (new ones are no longer available).

There is no fix for the P2V because nobody has figured it out.  I've heard swapping the board doesn't work either.  The only fix is to buy a new/used camera.

Re post #56, my understanding is DJI uses NAND chips because they're dirt cheap.  This is one of the things that helps them provide competitive and affordable drones in the marketplace.  Not sure what "3" refers to.  The P3S?  All P3s?  My understanding is the lightbridge Phantoms use a NAND chip too, and it too can wear out.  Yes, they will eventually "wear out" but you can potentially extend their life by caring for them properly, which is to say, start it up and connect regularly and also don't let it overheat.  

2019-1-16
Use props
okstuv
lvl.2
Flight distance : 412694 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 1-16 04:26
RE my post #53, the youtube member removed the video because it wasn't 100%,  There are other videos like it though.  The idea is, you boot up the RE, wait until it boots, then boot up the AC, wait until it boots, then connect manually to your mobile device Phantom Wifi, then load the flight app, and it might bring you FPV.  

This worked for my + for a while, but then it stopped working.

@Mark The Droner, thanks for summarizing the "quick fixes" and "sure fixes" for the people on this thread. Also, thanks for referencing the little tutorial that I put together - credit where credit is due, the real geniuses were Gaucho, andrew_by, and rmhome on the PhantomPilots.com "lightbridge firmware PROBLEM (and solution) - firmware version not found by dji assistant tool" thread.

Below is a little more background and a few more tips that I've put together over the years. I hope this helps P2VP fans get back in the air one way or another!

What about heat? Heat never helps! But it's not the root cause. It probably increases the rate of volatile memory corruption, but even a cool module, sitting on the shelf, corrupts over time - as we see from the myriad hobbyists who turn it on after shelving it for 6 months only to find FPV isn't working.

Now you have telemetry (because the top board in the wifi module still works and transmits wifi signal to the range extender), but the FPV doesn't work because the Davinci video processing chip on the lower board stops doing its job and freezes during its boot-up sequence.

What are your options (as of March 2019):
  • Buy a working module ($100 to $200 on eBay) that is working for now, but has a non-zero chance of failing in the future
  • If you live in the USA and you've never opened or modified your drone, try your luck at DJI's P2 Care Plan - maybe after filling out the survey and jumping through all the hoops you'll get your drone fixed for FREE!
  • Get a newer drone that is less likely to go blind: Mavic Pro, P3 Standard, Phantom 4, etc. (note that some P3Pro do go blind for similar reasons to the P2VP issue)
  • Reflash the NAND yourself, using the tutorial I've put together - this requires about $30 of equipment and a steady soldering hand. Be careful not to damage the test pads on the board or repair will become impossible for you or anyone you send the board to!
  • Have someone else repair your board for you (~$80) - I am in the USA and do the repairs (contact me here), in the UK/Europ the https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSzKC4DjDV7zS7FuRm5t8JA has a tutorial on the fix and does great work, or try one of the handful of people offering the service on eBay (my handle on eBay is okstuv)

Oh, and one more tip. For those of you with no telemery and no fpv: your problem is Binding, not necessarily a bad module. Unfortunately, binding the module to the range extender is trickier than it used to be. You see many modern cell phones are not completely compatible with the binding feature in the DJI Vision app. I've put together this tips and tricks page to help people bind their range extenders properly - even examples of what a bad bind looks like and what a good one looks like. Enjoy!

Good luck and happy flying!
2019-3-11
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

okstuv Posted at 3-11 09:12
@Mark The Droner, thanks for summarizing the "quick fixes" and "sure fixes" for the people on this thread. Also, thanks for referencing the little tutorial that I put together - credit where credit is due, the real geniuses were Gaucho, andrew_by, and rmhome on the PhantomPilots.com "lightbridge firmware PROBLEM (and solution) - firmware version not found by dji assistant tool" thread.

No - thank you @okstuv (and the others, of course)!  Your post on google.com has put new life into the P2V+ for potentially many years to come...
2019-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules