drone police... guilty as charged
1049 16 2017-2-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thomasakira
lvl.3
Flight distance : 921693 ft
United States

I  am guilty as charged of being a drone policeman.  But it comes from a place of  genuine concern to preserve our rights as drone enthusiasts and licensed pilots in command.

Some people have inferred that "drone police" are annoying....and that  it is ok to fly when you "kind of " have VLOS....outside weather  minimums....pushing their drones to test range or RTH performance, etc...

Fact is  that we are in for a world of hurt if we ALL don't act responsibly. We all should police each other,  perhaps  more tactfully than I have chosen in the past - (my bad slow-flying),  in order to remind  people that the days of the wild west are over....and that not following  regulations can result in not only more negative attention and increased regulations, but serious  consequences. For example SkyPan Interntional who was fined 1.9  million dollars for operating outside the law. The ongoing reviews of priveledges within  National Parks and other no-fly zones may just be the start of being granted better drone access,  I think  that every pilots behavior will affect how these airspaces will be  governed; thus my "crusade".  

Well these are my 2 cents, take it for what its worth. Happy (and more importantly safe) flying!

2017-2-7
Use props
NJ Flying Slow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 765909 ft
United States

First off, I'm flying slow and low these days.  All good in the hood, can we be friends?  After all we live in the same state :-)?
2017-2-7
Use props
thomasakira
lvl.3
United States

NJ Flying Slow  Posted at 2017-2-7 09:41
First off, I'm flying slow and low these days.  All good in the hood, can we be friends?  After all we live in the same state :-)?

Of course,  re-reading what I wrote I should have been more clear.  I apologize for my tone.  
2017-2-7
Use props
NJ Flying Slow
lvl.3
United States

it's all good.  So tell me, help me out.  I live in Bergen County...have a feeling you are central or South...can you tell me some cool places to fly?  I'm mainly interested in photography, video and overall nature.  
2017-2-7
Use props
NJ Flying Slow
lvl.3
United States

also enlighten please on that rule about flying on Sundays.  I scoured the web, came up with nothing.
2017-2-7
Use props
thomasakira
lvl.3
United States

NJ Flying Slow  Posted at 2017-2-7 09:53
also enlighten please on that rule about flying on Sundays.  I scoured the web, came up with nothing.

I think this was a miscommunication,  there are no rules on sunday flying.  Not sure how we got our lines crossed.
2017-2-7
Use props
NJ Flying Slow
lvl.3
United States

oh...I really thought that was the case...
2017-2-7
Use props
thomasakira
lvl.3
United States

NJ Flying Slow  Posted at 2017-2-7 09:52
it's all good.  So tell me, help me out.  I live in Bergen County...have a feeling you are central or South...can you tell me some cool places to fly?  I'm mainly interested in photography, video and overall nature.

It is tough in North Jersey as LGA/JFK/EWR/TEB create a ton of airspace issues.  I think the best way to overcome this is an app call "AIRMAP" .  This allows you to figure out pockets of class g that may or may not be "cool".  I highly recommend it to ensure you are in compliance.  I think that cool is such a relative term.  To me "cool" is usually determined by the quality of light/ time of day and then subject matter. Any spot is awesome if the light is right.  For me that is sunrise and sunset for "profile" shots (but not always).  And mid-morning to mid-afternoon for overhead shots.  It helps to "scout" the spot with the intention of just observing for traffic...in our area helicopters are generally the x-factor.
2017-2-7
Use props
NJ Flying Slow
lvl.3
United States

Wow Tom.  I just read about airspace 'classes' this morning.  I'm trying to get my feet wet with the 107 rules even though I have no plans of going commercial.  I'm just into the  hobby so I'd rather be educated then non-educated (this was all sparked as a result of our tango, so thank you).  I'm with you on lighting...been shooting photos on the side for 30 years.  I was hoping you had some cool waterfalls or lakes I can visit, but good point.  I've found a few campuses that were beautiful to shoot.
2017-2-7
Use props
NJ Flying Slow
lvl.3
United States

airmap downloaded!
2017-2-7
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Apology given-  Check.
Apology accepted- Check.
Friendship requested- Check.
Friendship accepted- Check.

This is without a doubt my favourite post to date.

There are big ships and small ships. But the best ship of all is friendship!

Yay!

Mark G.
2017-2-7
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Don't you think the word "Pig " is a bit Ugly for an acronym for "Police " .  If you just change to "Drone Police"  or "cop" or "lawman " even Fuzz  etc. , I still get it .  Maybe I am to sensetive , Just hits a bit close to home for me anyway.   

donnie
2017-2-7
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-2-7 11:42
Apology given-  Check.
Apology accepted- Check.
Friendship requested- Check.

You are a real corker Mark !

donnie
2017-2-7
Use props
thomasakira
lvl.3
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-7 11:45
Don't you think the word "Pig " is a bit Ugly for an acronym for "Police " .  If you just change to "Drone Police"  or "cop" or "lawman " even Fuzz  etc. , I still get it .  Maybe I am to sensetive , Just hits a bit close to home for me anyway.   

donnie

I meant it as a term of endearment, but subtlety gets lost on the intwerwebs
2017-2-7
Use props
NJ Flying Slow
lvl.3
United States

Lol, I found it funny as $hit too!  I'm glad Thomas and I now friends.  I've learned from this myself.  Now let's all go out and fly slow and low!
2017-2-7
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3502972 ft
  • >>>
United States

if you update your flight records to the DJI cloud after you violate a federal law DJI can turn you in for a fat reward.
2017-2-7
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

thomasakira Posted at 2017-2-7 12:20
I meant it as a term of endearment, but subtlety gets lost on the intwerwebs

No worries, thanks for the explanation . And you were kind enough to change it too......Thanks

donnie
2017-2-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules