Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Windy conditions
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sdevan45
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6493 ft
United States

What is the windiest conditions you've flown your P3 in.  I'm looking at a steady 14 mph today, no idea what the winds are gusting to.  Since I'm a newbie, I'm afraid to take the drone out today.  Thanks.
2017-2-7
Use props
eliot may
lvl.4
Flight distance : 245367 ft
United States

Sounds a little brisk for us noobs
2017-2-7
Use props
shawn_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256791 ft
United States

alllll day. flew a p3 and p4 in 26mph steady with 35mph gusts with no problems the other day....was pleasantly surprised how the mapping mission came out. Had some legs in the pics in some of the turns, but I say do it, if you're comfortable with your skills.
2017-2-7
Use props
Midwest_Blue
Flight distance : 202247 ft
United States

Before , I left for vacation.  I was testing wind extremes , out in open fields. No wind facts , just using the apps, weather detail from local airports.  At the time, winds  was 22 to 26 mph. with a few gusts. (from a weather app)  Most of the time it was flying ok . And I was going into the winds.  Did the RTH and drone was kind of heading back.. But then it just kept on going. Must  have been in a strong gust.. Drone was heading toward some big high power lines. So I lowered it Fast.  Got down to 30 feet ,from the ground.  And was able to fly it back to me..  Glad I was able to do that. Walking in a plowed  field,  would have been tough. Now .  I try to stay out of the air over 18. And been lucky, with over 15 hours of flight and  over 40 mile, with no major crashes.  Just props damange.
2017-2-7
Use props
sdevan45
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6493 ft
United States

Thanks all.  I think I'll take a pass today until I have some more flying time under my belt.
2017-2-7
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I've read quite a few threads from people who have lost their aircrafts due to wind.   Remember that RTH speed is much slower than stick control flying and may not make progress against a strong wind.  
2017-2-7
Use props
RicardoGray
Captain
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

sdevan45@cox.ne Posted at 2017-2-7 11:30
Thanks all.  I think I'll take a pass today until I have some more flying time under my belt.

You should be fine. Remember though that your phantom can maintain it's position without question in very strong winds...up to 35-40 mph........but if you venture out too far and are coming back against that wind, it will not be able to make much progress with that type of headwind. Saying the phantom is capable of 30-32 mph you could only expect it to creep back at 1-2 mph at full throttle with a 35 mph wind. Just estimating here but you understand my point. If you are very far out there you will more than likely run out of battery. Also remember that at the surface the wind will more than likely mot be as much as it will be a couple hundred feet in the air. 15-20 mph should not be a problem for you. Actually you should experiment a little at some point to get the feel of what it is like in case you get into a situation sometime, you will know how to react.
2017-2-7
Use props
adrian8891
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2643110 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

In my opinion, You should never fly in winds stronger than max speed of Phantom. Check in manual, what is highest speed for this drone. As far as I remember it was around 10m/s, so do not fly over this values.
2017-2-7
Use props
endotherm
Captain
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

I wouldn't be flying in winds over 35mph if I were you.  The aircraft can't fly much faster than that so you need something in reserve to at least hold position, and not be whisked away by gusts.  As mentioned above, winds are likely to be stronger at altitude compared to those closer to the ground.  If you rely on RTH to come back, be aware the speed will be slower, a maximum of 22mph.  To get more speed in this situation, cancel RTH and fly manually.  Never fly away from your home point with the wind, because you will struggle to come back home against the wind.  Best to fly the opposite direction, so when you get a low battery, you can return with the wind with minimal effort.  If you find yourself in trouble and you can't make headway against a strong wind (standing still or getting blown further away) don't panic.  Change altitude, usually lower, until you find a windspeed you can handle.  In the worst case, land where you are, and recover it later, it beats crashing or losing contact.  The windier it gets, the more power will be expended to keep the aircraft stable, so your flight times will be reduced.  You could try using an app like UAVforecast, where you can enter a maximum windspeed that the aircraft can handle, and it will advise you whether it is safe to fly at your location.  It includes other factors like light, weather, visibility etc.  You can enter various altitudes to give you an idea of how the windspeed changes due to height, and you might find you will be able to fly below a certain altitude without problems.

I wouldn't let a bit of wind stop you enjoying flying your aircraft, it will give you experience and the knowledge to judge conditions for yourself.  If it looks like the wind is too strong for your capabilities, return home and give it a miss for the day.
2017-2-7
Use props
blackcrusader
First Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

I fly around the mountains where I live. I will not fly if there is more than around 10 knots wind speed.   One thing is that I do not have a lot of places to land due to steep terrain.

So being able to get it to the RTH point is mostly critical for many of the places I launch from.
2017-2-7
Use props
bob37
First Officer
Flight distance : 260384 ft
United States

I use https://www.uavforecast.com/#/
and set the limit at 300 feet to be 15 mph. I figure that half the speedy bird can fly is a good limit.  I find it amazing that sometimes it is almost calm at ground level and can be 30 mph at 300 feet!  I suspects some "fly-aways" are really unexpected RTH altitude wind speeds.

2017-2-7
Use props
endotherm
Captain
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

bob37 Posted at 2017-2-7 17:59
I use https://www.uavforecast.com/#/
and set the limit at 300 feet to be 15 mph. I figure that half the speedy bird can fly is a good limit.  I find it amazing that sometimes it is almost calm at ground level and can be 30 mph at 300 feet!  I suspects some "fly-aways" are really unexpected RTH altitude wind speeds.

Most "fly-aways" are caused by competing with strong winds, and losing.  In nearly all cases you still have control and can do something about it as long as you don't convince yourself that all is lost.
2017-2-8
Use props
fredq2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 133287 ft
United States

For me, wind speed can create a tip over at launch. I havent tried hand launching.

Probably obvious to most - If you head directly into the wind on your flight, at some point, RTH will kick in assuming that the head wind will occur in all directions, so when you return downwind you have plenty of battery left to make it home. Last time I had 50%.
2017-2-8
Use props
nilmaster
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232707 ft
United States

I use the app or website UAVforecast.com to check for wind speed. I try to stay under 25 mph wind speeds.
2017-2-9
Use props
landon1127
New

United States

should do great your video may be a little shakier than normal but flight itself should still be great
2017-2-9
Use props
Sasquad
First Officer
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

too much, I tend towards <10mph. Keep in mind if you go downwind for 200 meters, with a 15MPH wind you will need to return 15 MPH faster just to negate the wind. So if you are flying at 10 mph with a 15 mph wind at your back you will need to return at 25 mph to match the 10 mph. The real problem is how hard the quad has to work to do that. It is a battery drainer. Fly when calm.
2017-2-9
Use props
Sasquad
First Officer
United States

shawn_ Posted at 2017-2-7 11:12
alllll day. flew a p3 and p4 in 26mph steady with 35mph gusts with no problems the other day....was pleasantly surprised how the mapping mission came out. Had some legs in the pics in some of the turns, but I say do it, if you're comfortable with your skills.

Nope, doubt it.
2017-2-9
Use props
shawn_
lvl.4
United States

your amateur levels of operations play no role on the ability of this aircraft to operate safely in winds. doubt away
2017-2-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Wind and hobby class drones, don't make very compatible bed fellows. Hahaha

But you can certainly practice flying in windy conditions, with the onboard flight SIM.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-13
Use props
Sasquad
First Officer
United States

shawn_ Posted at 2017-2-13 06:55
your amateur levels of operations play no role on the ability of this aircraft to operate safely in winds. doubt away

Shawn, You know nothing about my experience or ability. I have been flying longer than you have been alive, Unless you are over the age of 40, ( that added to 14 will give you my age) . Here is a link to a video which PROVES that the  P4 will loose all control in a 57kph wind. , I will convert that to miles per hour for you..... it is 35 MPH. the drone is in a wind tunnel, and when the wind speed reaches 35 MPH (57 KPH) it slams in to the wall behind it. So quit telling people they can fly in 30+ MPH winds all day long. Your dreaming if you think this is a fun way to fly. Here is the link to the video if you care to watch it. http://www.youtube.com/c/flymyphantom   I've got to go do a few laps on my FPV course, flying betaflight on my 180 size X frame Quad using Fatshark goggles and flying in ACRO mode..... but what do I know?
2017-4-4
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

This was quite uncomfortable with my advanced, although he was holding position, I could see him struggling... Certainly not safe and not desireble to fly in anything over 15mph, there usually would be gusts u not gonna know about, and usually it gets worse as u get higher...
Screenshot_20170403-181129 (Custom).png
2017-4-4
Use props
shawn_
lvl.4
United States

Sasquad Posted at 2017-4-4 14:41
Shawn, You know nothing about my experience or ability. I have been flying longer than you have been alive, Unless you are over the age of 40, ( that added to 14 will give you my age) . Here is a link to a video which PROVES that the  P4 will loose all control in a 57kph wind. , I will convert that to miles per hour for you..... it is 35 MPH. the drone is in a wind tunnel, and when the wind speed reaches 35 MPH (57 KPH) it slams in to the wall behind it. So quit telling people they can fly in 30+ MPH winds all day long. Your dreaming if you think this is a fun way to fly. Here is the link to the video if you care to watch it. http://www.youtube.com/c/flymyphantom   I've got to go do a few laps on my FPV course, flying betaflight on my 180 size X frame Quad using Fatshark goggles and flying in ACRO mode..... but what do I know?

somebody is insecure. carry on keyboard warrior
2017-4-5
Use props
Dave Kent
lvl.1
United States

I've flown at about a max of 15 mph myself ,Just make sure you fly out into the wind so coming back is with a tail wind.
2017-4-6
Use props
Kneepuck
Captain
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

I have been out in 30mph or better winds.  I do not reommend it.  But, if the worst should happen, and a sudden wind arise, do not despair.  Try lowering altitude and crabbing sideways.  Chances are you will find an altitude that will allow you to bring the drone home.  Also, when possible, make the outbound leg of your flight INTO the wind so you will have a tailwind on the return trip.
2017-4-6
Use props
SimonH78
Captain
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

10-15mph MAX its a flying camera -  so needs to be steady as pos - but they will manage to fly at 20mph but not very comfortably and you will struggle getting back into the wind if you venture too far downwind!! Remember the max calm weather top flying speed for the P3 is around 35mph... so you need to allow spare...
2017-4-7
Use props
Largespiced
lvl.1
Flight distance : 345472 ft
United Kingdom

I am really cautious with the wind. In sports mode one way I was getting 45mph, coming back it was struggling to get half that, and draining the battery fast! Made it home but lesson learnt!
2017-4-7
Use props
Sasquad
First Officer
United States

Dave Kent Posted at 2017-4-6 12:11
I've flown at about a max of 15 mph myself ,Just make sure you fly out into the wind so coming back is with a tail wind.

Yeah I agree with you on the 15 mph limit. I've flown in windy conditions and the main issue is the props are in view as it is fighting to stay level in the wind. No fun and lousy footage. I tried to shoot a pano mission for dronebase in 20 mph wind the other night, but when the quad was pointed in to the wind I had the props in the frame. I'll have to reshoot the mission, when the wind is calm. Dronbase isn't going to pay me for props in the pictures. I'm so used to flying FPV, and the wind really isn't an issue. These camera quads are a different animal. They really hate the wind.
2017-4-7
Use props
Dave Kent
lvl.1
United States

Sasquad Posted at 2017-4-7 14:42
Yeah I agree with you on the 15 mph limit. I've flown in windy conditions and the main issue is the props are in view as it is fighting to stay level in the wind. No fun and lousy footage. I tried to shoot a pano mission for dronebase in 20 mph wind the other night, but when the quad was pointed in to the wind I had the props in the frame. I'll have to reshoot the mission, when the wind is calm. Dronbase isn't going to pay me for props in the pictures. I'm so used to flying FPV, and the wind really isn't an issue. These camera quads are a different animal. They really hate the wind.

You can crop the props out in a video editor like Final Cut or Premiere CC, That may work for you.
2017-4-10
Use props
Drone Flights S
lvl.1
Flight distance : 223684 ft
Sweden

Fly up wind and if you need to  . you can always coast back home safetyly
2017-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules