DJI Ken: which event triggers "aircraft too far away" in FOLLOW ME ?
1084 9 2017-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

Dear DJI-Team (Ken, Mindy, Paladin, Joe etc.) !
Once in a while when trying to apply "FOLLOW ME MODE" and Mavic is high enough (5m min) and only 1 or 2m away, when tapping "Apply" for follow-me-mode DJI GO will tell me "aircraft too far away" and Mavic won´t follow me. (Mavic symbol is within the radar-circle in DJI GO on the right upper side of the screen and everything is green, "apply" is lit green)

To better understand this issue "aircraft too far away" in follow-me-mode please explain:

1. How is distance between Mavic and pilot/RC calculated ? (difference of GPS-fix from Mavic and smartphone ? That might mean GPS-fix on smartphone is poor although HERE-maps show the PRECISE location of Mavic and RC at take-off on the smartphone)

2. Any other influence that might prevent precise location/distance calculation of Mavic and RC (surrounding WiFis, Cell-phone-towers, metal objects) ?

3. Is it a smartphone-problem or a Mavic/RC "communication" problem ?

Please clarify !  

2017-2-8
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

No answer from Ken, Paladin, Mindy ?

Explanation would really help !
2017-2-8
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-2-8 10:56
No answer from Ken, Paladin, Mindy ?

Explanation would really help !

Hi DJI-team !

Is it a problem to answer my simple question ? At least tell me: we don´t know ?
2017-2-9
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

Pretty disappointed now that I do not receive the slightest attempt of an answer from DJI
2017-2-10
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-2-10 00:53
Pretty disappointed now that I do not receive the slightest attempt of an answer from DJI

Disappointed?  YES

Surprised?  NO.  It's probably still Chinese New Year.  That seems to go on for a few months at DJI.  

Do I have an answer, as usual?  YES  
The GPS in your phone is the culprit.  Mine does this when I've got a building or other topographical feature (even if only in 1 direction).  I guess the phone's GPS isn't getting the best 3D because of the temporary lack of satellite locks from THAT particular direction; thereby making it much less accurate.  While this is fine for Google Maps & navigating with these temporary cut-outs whilst driving a car, etc, apparently GO is requesting too much GPS positioning too fast & too much.  The result is the drone stops & follow me sucks & you've now got to go retrieve your drone and/or cancel the mode.
2017-2-10
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

Perhaps that Litchi app doesn't do as many requests or just uses the GPS data from the phone/device differently.  I'm guessing a larger device might have a larger GPS transponder in it.  Perhaps Apple sources a larger GPS chip than Samsung (as an example also).

I've noticed the Samsung S5 I sometimes use has a horrible GPS.  It used to work great but after 3 years of beating the hell out of it, I think the GPS in it is tired.  When I use the Note 5 I've also got, everything works better.  I just hate the extra size & weight of that in my pocket and it doesn't fit where I like to lay my S5 in the car.
2017-2-10
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-2-10 07:58
Disappointed?  YES

Surprised?  NO.  It's probably still Chinese New Year.  That seems to go on for a few months at DJI.  

Thanks so much for Your answer. I figured it out with a similar explanation and some tests. Thank You for confirming my theory ..............................
2017-2-11
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-2-10 08:11
Perhaps that Litchi app doesn't do as many requests or just uses the GPS data from the phone/device differently.  I'm guessing a larger device might have a larger GPS transponder in it.  Perhaps Apple sources a larger GPS chip than Samsung (as an example also).

I've noticed the Samsung S5 I sometimes use has a horrible GPS.  It used to work great but after 3 years of beating the hell out of it, I think the GPS in it is tired.  When I use the Note 5 I've also got, everything works better.  I just hate the extra size & weight of that in my pocket and it doesn't fit where I like to lay my S5 in the car.

Well, I will have to wait for CrystalSky device which hopefully will wipe out all problems that we have with various smartphones.

Methinks the different versions and adaptations of android on different smartphones with different CPUs/sensors together with the two different versions of DJI GO create a lot of problems we have with our Mavics ..................
2017-2-11
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-2-11 00:21
Well, I will have to wait for CrystalSky device which hopefully will wipe out all problems that we have with various smartphones.

Methinks the different versions and adaptations of android on different smartphones with different CPUs/sensors together with the two different versions of DJI GO create a lot of problems we have with our Mavics ..................

I have a P4P+ with that built-in display (basically CrystalSky).  And it's not that great, dude.  It's bright & clear in sunlight - THAT'S IT.

Otherwise GO still crashes, it's slow as hell, and you're so limited in functionality - try getting a screenshot exported...  It has no email or anything "communication" besides Facebook.  There's Weibo & some other weird apps that I don't trust and/or are worthless.  

Just giving you the heads up so you're not betting the farm on yet another DJI product.  After the P4P+, you couldn't GIVE me a CrystalSky.  There are just too many prudent choices from which to pick.  Do not use the most recent operating system on ANY device - EVER!  Compatibility will increase significantly if you follow that rule.
2017-2-11
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-2-11 09:04
I have a P4P+ with that built-in display (basically CrystalSky).  And it's not that great, dude.  It's bright & clear in sunlight - THAT'S IT.

Otherwise GO still crashes, it's slow as hell, and you're so limited in functionality - try getting a screenshot exported...  It has no email or anything "communication" besides Facebook.  There's Weibo & some other weird apps that I don't trust and/or are worthless.  

Tx for the advice ! Will gladly follow ...........................
2017-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules