Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Water color sharping Issue!
1234567Next >
21829 277 2017-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Flyphoto
lvl.1

United States

I would like to know what is being done about the water color  sharping issue. I have tested and tested and called DJI with no HElp on DJI 's part as they say its not a problem. Im courious to see if anyone on this fourm has this issue and is fed up with the crap DJI is giving.  This is not a physcal camera issue its a program/sharping issue or compression issue as the footage that is coming out of my new mavric is totally crap!

If you would like to read where i and other have tested this issue  
http://mavicpilots.com/threads/d ... color-paintings-don’t-settle-get-involved.2812/

[size=14.666666984558105px]Set it to pal 24 fps +0 +0 +0 normal  
[size=14.666666984558105px]ISO was 100 at 50 shutter
[size=14.666666984558105px]I had Polor Pro Cin PL16 on lens as well.

[size=14.666666984558105px]Had it up about 50ft
[size=14.666666984558105px]Its windy here and SUNNY FLA!
[size=14.666666984558105px]I shot 4K: 3840×2160
[size=14.666666984558105px]pal 24 fps +0 +0 +0 normal  

[size=14.666666984558105px]Stoped video while in air
[size=14.666666984558105px]changed back to ntsc.
[size=14.666666984558105px]and kelp everything the same
[size=14.666666984558105px]4K: 3840×2160
[size=14.666666984558105px]ntsc 24 fps +0 +0 +0 normal  

[size=14.666666984558105px]NO WATER COLOR ISSUe! %*&^)*$^@!@#$%^&*(*&!!!!!!!!
[size=14.666666984558105px]These are screen grabs from[size=14.666666984558105px] before and after…..
To save you time here is a copy of my work around that seems to work somtimes. Its a hassel and this is not how it should work!  DJI what are you going to to about this seriouse issue ???
[size=14.666666984558105px]This is what I did….

ntsc.jpg
ntscx.jpg
pal.jpg
2017-2-8
Use props
Flyphoto
lvl.1

United States

Before anyone say did I reset everything   I did!!  I did downgrade firmware up grade back to downgrade reset to factory I have done it all !  Lot of people have this issue and don’t realize it and think this is what the Mavic can do …. Its capable of producing aa much sharper image !
2017-2-8
Use props
Flyphoto
lvl.1

United States

want to see a video in action of this issue …
2017-2-8
Use props
Flyphoto
lvl.1

United States

Well Here is another pic for proof as fresh out of the water color express !
these are screen shots from video I reset from NTSC TO PAL and back to NTSC while in the air. as you see a huge difference ! This is my last test for this shet! both are art profile +0+0+0!
afterreset.jpg
beforereset.jpg
2017-2-8
Use props
Peter Galbavy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

I've seen that when the focus goes awry. Refocus, problem goes away (for me).
2017-2-8
Use props
CaptainFantasti
lvl.4
Flight distance : 48868 ft
Switzerland

Nothing to do with focus Peter.

@Flyphoto
We discussed this already in other treads. The only setting that matters is sharpening. With sharpening at 0 there is already a noise reduction kicking in.
If the conditions are good it's doing an ok job. In backlight or lowlight you'll get the ugly effects you posted above.
I hope they change the threshold for NR in a way so that people get better and more consistent results.

For me the solution is to shoot wit sharpness at +1 and do NR in post where i have much more control about how much detail i'm willing to sacrifice for less noise.
2017-2-8
Use props
Flyphoto
lvl.1

United States

I guarantee if you change to pal and record and then back to NTSC and record and compare you will see a HUGE difference in sharpening !    DJI needs to LOOK INTO THIS   NOW mot tomorrow or in a month BUT NOW !
2017-2-8
Use props
Flyphoto
lvl.1

United States

This is not I repeat NOT a focusing issue !!!!!!
2017-2-8
Use props
CaptainFantasti
lvl.4
Switzerland

No need to scream ;-) As i said with sharpening at 0 there is already way to much NR for my taste so i'm good with +1. No posterize/watercolor Effect whatsoever.
I'll try the switch from ntsc to pal trick tomorrow. What is happening then? Less NR at 0?
2017-2-8
Use props
Flyphoto
lvl.1

United States

I think I figured out what was happing ….. Its the camera is adding too much DE noise filter as I can re create this with a raw file as the raw file is sharp the JPG is not and has the water color issue (over noise compensation) I put the raw file in photo shop add noise reduce filter and can make it look just like the JPG file……….. So question is where is the option to turn off the noise reduce filter??????
2017-2-8
Use props
Flyphoto
lvl.1

United States

I need someone from DJI to respond to this issue thread  PLEAse !
2017-2-8
Use props
lee11lee
New

Austria

I have the same issue
2017-2-8
Use props
noka
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1104905 ft
Germany

Same water color issue here!
2017-2-8
Use props
photoboy
lvl.1

United States

Anyone from DJI care to comment?
2017-2-8
Use props
VAS67
lvl.4
Flight distance : 265984 ft
United Kingdom

So once you set to Pal then back to NTSC how long does the sharp video last?
Does it go bad after you restart the drone or sooner than that?
2017-2-8
Use props
CaptainFantasti
lvl.4
Switzerland

you guys don't really read what others are writing aren't you? ;-)

SHARPNESS +1 = No noise reduction / posterize- / watercoloreffect.
2017-2-8
Use props
photoboy
lvl.1

United States

CaptainFantasti Posted at 2017-2-8 15:10
you guys don't really read what others are writing aren't you? ;-)

SHARPNESS +1 = No noise reduction / posterize- / watercoloreffect.

what r u talking about ?
2017-2-8
Use props
photoboy
lvl.1

United States

VAS67 Posted at 2017-2-8 14:33
So once you set to Pal then back to NTSC how long does the sharp video last?
Does it go bad after you restart the drone or sooner than that?

this is what im testing  its seems now its hit or miss as it works sometimes  but it work all the time when you switch to pal and record
2017-2-8
Use props
photoboy
lvl.1

United States

photoboy Posted at 2017-2-8 15:20
what r u talking about ?

Sorry but that isnt the solution  as its like sharping a dull knife  +1 sharping doesn’t work only makes it worse
2017-2-8
Use props
fanse0aa9054
lvl.1

Australia

I have the same issue, here's a good video example: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqEURXpTfLsOmRuAUDLnWNEQxUdV
As you can see it most definitely isn't focus, there's sharp lines on the man-made objects but vegetation is total mush.
Can't remember the settings but probably sharpness at 0 or -1
My Mavic was in for repair on the gimbal when I brought this problem to their attention, they haven't replied but hopefully it comes back fixed, if not I'm returning it for refund. Workarounds on a $2200AUD machine is not good enough..
edit: 2.7K @ 30fps
2017-2-8
Use props
alirz5
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

damn... I have the exact same problem. I've been struggling with total crap video. I just came back from a trip to the Caribbean and used my mavic ther for the first time. Got back home only realize most of the video is total garbage....looks terrible..
I've read other threads also suggesting the sharpness +1 trick, but that's is not a fix.
Compared to the mavic my p3p is 10 times better for video..I've eleven had these issue with it.

I've emailed and opened a case with Dji...I'm gonna fight this and return this garbage of a drone if they don't fix this issue.
2017-2-8
Use props
fans0b0971e1
New

New Zealand

Wow, this problem is MAJOR and DJI has to answer us quick, there is indeed a Noise Reduction problem AND a Focus problem as well.
So far I've spent 80% of my time flying making garbage shots, wasting a lots of time in walking/driving around, researching, testing settings, and trying to trouble shoot.

This drone has amazing potential yet those simple problems are a major pain in the a**
Come on DJI, come up with a FIX, QUICK !!!
2017-2-8
Use props
CaptainFantasti
lvl.4
Switzerland

photoboy Posted at 2017-2-8 15:23
Sorry but that isnt the solution  as its like sharping a dull knife  +1 sharping doesn’t work only makes it worse

There is no sharpening going on here imho. Just NR. If it would be actual sharpening you would see the blurry mush you get at 0 but just with sharpened edges (sharping a dull knife). But you clearly can see in my example that actual details are popping in on +1.

Of course it would be great for consumers to have internal Nr without the ugly artifacts at 0 and below. I'm not denying that. Just saying my workaround works.

(idk how good you can see this on a 1080p screen)

2017-2-9
Use props
RitterRunkel
New

Germany

This is a major bug indeed.

If I'm right, we have to seperate two issues ...
- the one with sharpness regulating NR in the way DJI probably want it to happen (probably same mistaken belief like many other camera manufactures to avoid noise at any expense)
- the one with extreme washing out of detail (maybe doing NR twice ...), can be fixed with switching to PAL/NTSC and back

Thx to photoboy for finding out and tell about this fix!
2017-2-9
Use props
CaptainFantasti
lvl.4
Switzerland

CaptainFantasti Posted at 2017-2-9 02:36
There is no sharpening going on here imho. Just NR. If it would be actual sharpening you would see the blurry mush you get at 0 but just with sharpened edges (sharping a dull knife). But you clearly can see in my example that actual details are popping in on +1.

Of course it would be great for consumers to have internal Nr without the ugly artifacts at 0 and below. I'm not denying that. Just saying my workaround works.

Here the prores version for the real pixel peeper:

2017-2-9
Use props
photoboy
lvl.1

United States

CaptainFantasti Posted at 2017-2-9 03:30
https://we.tl/wLalU6ziH4

Im downloading now but from what I can see your not having the same issue as the water color issue as your 000 is what I get when I reset…..
2017-2-9
Use props
photoboy
lvl.1

United States

Does DJI want to chime in here?   Were waiting !
2017-2-9
Use props
photoboy
lvl.1

United States

CaptainFantasti Posted at 2017-2-9 03:30
https://we.tl/wLalU6ziH4

Thanks for the clip I downloaded it and all I can say  is if it were my bird shooting that  the roof tops would have no detail your footage looks great with and with sharping
2017-2-9
Use props
photoboy
lvl.1

United States

photoboy Posted at 2017-2-9 06:53
Thanks for the clip I downloaded it and all I can say  is if it were my bird shooting that  the roof tops would have no detail your footage looks great with and with sharping

Thanks for the clip I downloaded it and all I can say  is if it were my bird shooting that  the roof tops would have no detail your footage looks great with and with sharping.
look at attached image as you can see what im talking about as the jpgs look like the video file and the raw file looks correct wich make scenc as raw files have now sharp or color profiles or noise
lasttest.jpg
2017-2-9
Use props
CaptainFantasti
lvl.4
Switzerland

What was you sharpness setting at?
2017-2-9
Use props
CaptainFantasti
lvl.4
Switzerland

Because when lighting is bad sharpness at 0 can look as bad as -3 and this goes away immediatley when i change to +1
See attached pics:

sharpness-0.jpg
1.jpg
2017-2-9
Use props
photoboy
lvl.1

United States

CaptainFantasti Posted at 2017-2-9 08:02
Because when lighting is bad sharpness at 0 can look as bad as -3 and this goes away immediatley when i change to +1
See attached pics:

sharpness is set at 0   on a sunny day
ntscx.jpg
pal.jpg
2017-2-9
Use props
CaptainFantasti
lvl.4
Switzerland

Ok! That's really strange/interesting. The second pic after the reset ist what i would expect for 0. Mostly good but some mush in the shadows since the light is harsh and creates dark shadows.
But the first one totally looks like -2 or -3. Something is wrong and you definitely have a point here.

But just for clarification and to confirm my understanding of internal NR. When you switch to +1 are you getting rid of the water color effects?
2017-2-9
Use props
photoboy
lvl.1

United States

CaptainFantasti Posted at 2017-2-9 08:30
Ok! That's really strange/interesting. The second pic after the reset ist what i would expect for 0. Mostly good but some mush in the shadows since the light is harsh and creates dark shadows.
But the first one totally looks like -2 or -3. Something is wrong and you definitely have a point here.

No it makes it worse.  

I have discovered its the noise reducer that is automatically applied thats causing this issue as I can re-create the same effect in photo shop with a sharp image. It like a simi glow effect as when its removed its like removing a haze filter  I have looked at videos on youtube and lots of footage has this issue. The problem is a lot of people think this is ok and what it should look like.   I almost guarantee you if you turn on the mavric and record then stop and switch from NTSC to PAL  and then record in PAL and look at the difference you will see the clarity.   Again Im guessing here  but  can seem to think how one mavric can have this issue and others don’t with the same firmware as this is a Firmware issue to the best of my knowledge.  If you could do this on your mavric and let us know that would be great!  
2017-2-9
Use props
photoboy
lvl.1

United States

Another way to see this is shot one JPG and RAW image and compare   Most like the JPG will look like garbage and the raw will look sharp …..    the JPG is a compressed file  and raw is that RAW  nothing added no sharping color or contrast or NR
2017-2-9
Use props
photoboy
lvl.1

United States

They want me to send it in but I really don’t want too as its a wast of time and DJI could save on shipping.   I don’t get it DJI you should read these post and GET INVOVED!!!  you would save the company $$$$$ on useless shipping charges !     This is a firmware issue! I BET $$$$$$$$$ on IT!
2017-2-9
Use props
photoboy
lvl.1

United States

Im just courious … Why hasn’t  DJI chimed in on this ????     Do they really  CARE?  I mean The norm now is buy a DJI product and receive it and then ship it back due to POOR quality control…..  If I were DJI and had loyal customers that  do a part of the research for working out the bugs Id show a little appreciation to say the least !   I have been banned from this forum before (noflyzone) due to bring issues to the public eye with the osmo + and Osmo pro X5 issues.  Now I have issues with the Mavric pro.  On all three  products I was requested to send it back for DJI to observe the issues…..  I came up with a work around on all three products.  I guess Im the fool for investing $$$ into DJI products as I should have learned my lesson by now !     NO im no troll Im just someone who is fed up with this crap !
2017-2-9
Use props
alirz5
Second Officer
Canada

Come on folks. Are we all new here? I've been a DJI customer for over two years now. Have lurked on these forum for a long time. DJI usually never gets directly involved with customers. THey offer no real solutions to their problems and simply ignore them. Its a hopeless cause, asking DJI to chime in. Even if it does, it will one of the forum support staff, who know nothing technically really and wont be able to tell you if DJI is working on some fixes or not.
2017-2-9
Use props
CaptainFantasti
lvl.4
Switzerland

If you have the effect with +1 i'd send it. But i can't really wrap my head around the fact that there is inconsistent behaviour between different drones in something that should be a software/firmware issue.
2017-2-9
Use props
alirz5
Second Officer
Canada

CaptainFantasti Posted at 2017-2-9 10:07
If you have the effect with +1 i'd send it. But i can't really wrap my head around the fact that there is inconsistent behaviour between different drones in something that should be a software/firmware issue.

I received my Mavic on Jan 24th and it came with the .300 firmware and i have this issue.I know .200 is the publicly available firmware.
Could that be the difference why some have the issue and some dont.
2017-2-9
Use props
1234567Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules