Water color sharping Issue!
22532 277 2017-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans464c96e6
lvl.2

Canada

Realist123456 Posted at 2017-2-13 04:46
I have just joined this forum after having received my Mavic a few days ago.
I followed the instructions of several youtube videos which suggested style at -2-1-1 or similar.
I couldn't believe the mess that resulted. Grassy areas were rendered as just washes of colour and trees as mottled blobs.

yes good luck to all. I doubt DJI will listen. But for all our sake i hope they fix this issue.
2017-2-13
Use props
photoboy
lvl.2

United States

Well Im sure my days are numbered here again as Im getting warnings as freedom of speech is not a freedom with DJI

You in Water color sharping Issue! The post has been DJI-Ken Delete
Please post according to the forum rules. If you continue to post like this then you will be banned. http://forum.dji.com/thread-71515-1-1.html

2017-2-13
Use props
fansd3ae2338
lvl.1

United States

I also have been struggling with this issue. I've had succes resetting the camera by switching from NTSC to PAL and back. This seems to be a good temporary work around for now.
2017-2-13
Use props
Realist123456
lvl.1
Flight distance : 547343 ft
Australia

fansd3ae2338 Posted at 2017-2-13 13:30
I also have been struggling with this issue. I've had succes resetting the camera by switching from NTSC to PAL and back. This seems to be a good temporary work around for now.

I shoot in PAL. Switched to NTSC and back to PAL but no change.
2017-2-13
Use props
photoboy
lvl.2

United States

Realist123456 Posted at 2017-2-13 16:01
I shoot in PAL. Switched to NTSC and back to PAL but no change.

reset your camera setting too that helps and do a IMU cal as well and most of all downgrade your firmware and then back I did all of these and don’t know if it had anything to do with it….
2017-2-13
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

i shot this video in NTSC 4k 30fps with d-cinelike and +1-0-0 in crappy lighting (the only video i have currently with some post editing) and this is how it came out

this video is 0-0-0 this is shot 720p (edited with dji editor thats why 720) and d-cinelike

i also tried shooting -1-1-1 like many have recommended and it came out too crappy as well. the trees were mushy. see here in this video (you must skip to 9:20)

i have never tried switching to pal but i seem to like 0-0-0 the best. heres with all 0 but in 1080/60 you can see how 60fps is unuseable
and this is the same settings but 1080/30 edited with dji editor

2017-2-13
Use props
DJI相机部大帅哥
DJI R&D Squad

Hong Kong

#Quick Reply Here#I'm sorry about the issue that troubled you much. Switching between PAL and NTSC will cause camera reboot, which need touch focus again just like cold boot. So please refocus when you reset from NTSC to PAL or from PAL to NTSC.
2017-2-13
Use props
SteadyQuad
New

Netherlands

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-2-14
Use props
photoboy
lvl.2

United States

boostedford Posted at 2017-2-13 18:33
i shot this video in NTSC 4k 30fps with d-cinelike and +1-0-0 in crappy lighting (the only video i have currently with some post editing) and this is how it came out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW6E1dMvAnk&t=306s

this video is 0-0-0 this is shot 720p (edited with dji editor thats why 720) and d-cinelike https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B_YWawtV_4&t=1s

in the first video I see water color issue in the horizon as it looks like someone painted NYC onto the background I have the same issue with the horizon too  just try and shoot in pal and see how much difference it is ,,,  Trust me
2017-2-14
Use props
photoboy
lvl.2

United States

2017-2-14
Use props
photoboy
lvl.2

United States

photoboy Posted at 2017-2-14 07:17
**** The posts are shielded ****

whats this about    ? trying to shut me up again about reporting on a issue that DJI dont want to own up too???   GO FOR IT !
2017-2-14
Use props
photoboy
lvl.2

United States

Well I can report  that the new firmware did not fix the Water color issue !
2017-2-14
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

in the first video I see water color issue in the horizon as it looks like someone painted NYC onto the background I have the same issue with the horizon too  just try and shoot in pal and see how much difference it is ,,,  Trust me

next time i fly i will try this
2017-2-14
Use props
photoboy
lvl.2

United States

here is my last test  this is after updated firmware
ntscxx.jpg
ntsebefore.jpg
palx.jpg
2017-2-14
Use props
Gpmic
lvl.1
United States

I am having this same issue.  I haven't tried all of the workarounds that people have suggested but it seems to me like it might be a batch of faulty Mavic's?  There are plenty of people shooting in Art mode and post clean/crisp video.
2017-2-14
Use props
patratel
lvl.1
Romania

2017-2-14
Use props
raybanner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 440312 ft
Italy

@ DJI

someone please get involved in this. Stop deleting or blocking posts, instead do some ACTIVE do solve the issues!
2017-2-14
Use props
patratel
lvl.1
Romania

What's with this shield?
2017-2-14
Use props
patratel
lvl.1
Romania

patratel Posted at 2017-2-14 22:50

What's with this shield?
2017-2-14
Use props
jpap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1780679 ft
Greece

I really hope DJI is silently looking into this.
I had some similar results on my video. Sometimes, they were crisp sometimes not at all. I 've also noticed, that this water color phenomenon tends to appear in shots taken early in morning, or late afternoon when lighting conditions are not ideal.
2017-2-15
Use props
chriztian
lvl.1
Germany

I really don't understand how a company like DJI famous for it's high quality drones can send out a product like this. I paid 1500 euros for the flight combo and the video I get out of it looks like taken from a 320x240 cam from back in the 90s.

At least I would expect someone to react to those problems. What do you guys think we buy this drone for? If I want to have a crap video quality, I could throw my phone into the air (and even there I would expect to get better quality)

Ok, I'm stop ranting now but hey, if you guys work on a fix, this is fine, but please spread the word about it. Also how to workaround this while it's broken. And if the answer about "buying a camera that is more expensive" is real (which I doubt), you guys should prepare for a lot of ppl sending their drones back.

By the way, I tried to contact you guys via chat. The person I spoke with was like "have you tried to turn it on and off again". I'm not stupid  ;)
2017-2-15
Use props
photoboy
lvl.2

United States

The MODS on this forum are all a bunch of wan a be’s  and have no IDEA  They all can kiss my big apple ! blocking people and banning them for bring this to the public eye!   Just a bunch of fan boy’s on here if you ask me well Im OVER IT!  DJI has become the lowest of the lowest !
2017-2-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

chriztian Posted at 2017-2-15 00:57
I really don't understand how a company like DJI famous for it's high quality drones can send out a product like this. I paid 1500 euros for the flight combo and the video I get out of it looks like taken from a 320x240 cam from back in the 90s.

At least I would expect someone to react to those problems. What do you guys think we buy this drone for? If I want to have a crap video quality, I could throw my phone into the air (and even there I would expect to get better quality)

If you look online at the thousands of videos and photos out there of Mavics you see some incredibly great results.
If your Mavic looks like a 320x240 camera then you need to send it in for repair.
Also, please post a photo/video showing what you mean by saying it looks like 320x240.
2017-2-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

jpap Posted at 2017-2-15 00:00
I really hope DJI is silently looking into this.
I had some similar results on my video. Sometimes, they were crisp sometimes not at all. I 've also noticed, that this water color phenomenon tends to appear in shots taken early in morning, or late afternoon when lighting conditions are not ideal.

They are not silently looking at this, they are publicly looking at this as I've already posted before and R&D has posted in this thread as well.
2017-2-15
Use props
chriztian
lvl.1
Germany

@Dji-Ken here's the footage I've talked about.
I've digged real deep into the problem today and here's my error report.

If I put my Mavic into 1080p with 60fps, I have the results shown in the youtube video. If I then switch to 4k 30 fps, It is looking sharper, but not cristal clear.
Going down to 2k 30fps, the same problem as with the 1080p. I made sure to focus each time I start a recording, so it is not the focus. Look at the trees for example. As a programmer, it looks to me that there's something wrong with the algorithms used while recording with 1080p. Seems like sometimes the algorithms for sharpness kicks in too much and sometimes it's way to soft.

To be clear: I've recorded with normal color profile, sharpness set to 0.
2017-2-15
Use props
Gpmic
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-15 08:35
If you look online at the thousands of videos and photos out there of Mavics you see some incredibly great results.
If your Mavic looks like a 320x240 camera then you need to send it in for repair.
Also, please post a photo/video showing what you mean by saying it looks like 320x240.

I was actually under the same impression and thought my Mavic was surely faulty.  However, I have yet to find a video where this "water color" issue doesn't seem present.  Even on Casey Neistat's drone comparison video you can see extreme blurriness in the darker vegetation.  Go look at any Mavic video with dark shadows (that should have some detail) and you'll see the same results.
2017-2-15
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

chriztian Posted at 2017-2-15 09:19
@Dji-Ken here's the footage I've talked about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKxyxR-DsCg

Your camera is fine & doesn't contain the issue in this thread.

You're shooting @ 60fps & the Sony IMX377 sensor the Mavic uses will bin at higher than 30fps.  The effect is the aliasing you see in your 0:20 video you posted.  TRY 1080/30 or even better, shoot 4k30 & export to 1080 in post.
2017-2-15
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

Gpmic Posted at 2017-2-15 09:30
I was actually under the same impression and thought my Mavic was surely faulty.  However, I have yet to find a video where this "water color" issue doesn't seem present.  Even on Casey Neistat's drone comparison video you can see extreme blurriness in the darker vegetation.  Go look at any Mavic video with dark shadows (that should have some detail) and you'll see the same results.

That's compression, so under lower light & darker objects, you'll get some artifacts in the vegetation.  That's the limitation in those cases.  

ALSO, I've seen Casey's newest video & his new Mavic has the non-planar sensor focus issue that my first Mavic had.  HE DOESN'T SEEM TO EVEN NOTICE...  So what's that tell ya???  Only DJI repair can fix that (I opted to return it & ordered another - all 3rd party).
2017-2-15
Use props
chriztian
lvl.1
Germany

but I want to shoot in 60 fps, not 30. And u tell me it is normal how for instance the house in the background at the end of the video looks? My freaking smartphone does better video than this (in 60 fps!)
2017-2-15
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

chriztian Posted at 2017-2-15 09:45
but I want to shoot in 60 fps, not 30. And u tell me it is normal how for instance the house in the background at the end of the video looks? My freaking smartphone does better video than this (in 60 fps!)

Yeah I looked at this youtube upload on native 1080p monitor. A lot of aliasing going on. From the testing I've done, 4k 30 ntsc seems to be where it's at. I know some here like 2k 25 too. I think having the extra pixels is better.

If you need 60fps, try 48 instead and see if you like that. You can always encode to 60 if needed.
2017-2-15
Use props
dv8ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 360322 ft
  • >>>
United States

chriztian Posted at 2017-2-15 09:19
@Dji-Ken here's the footage I've talked about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKxyxR-DsCg

I set mine to color profile none 0 0 0 as well and there's purple magenta in the trees. For example trees with no leaves should be gray or brown but I see predominantly purple magenta.
2017-2-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

chriztian Posted at 2017-2-15 09:45

This should explain it better.

Mavic Pro 1080p60 .pdf

527.15 KB, Down times: 46

2017-2-15
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-15 08:35
They are not silently looking at this, they are publicly looking at this as I've already posted before and R&D has posted in this thread as well.

Ken, Could you please point me to the post from R&D. I would like to read what they said.
2017-2-15
Use props
no-flyzone
New

United States

Who’s talking about 1080????   were talking about why do you need to do a cold reset to get sharp images and video???????     DO tell I see you banned the truth on this forum you banned a customer that did care enough to test and show and give a work around and you banned him from this forum !   How sad that is !   Ken you’re a real peace of work!  An Dji should be ashamed !     I have seen the water color effect on the Video that are online !      Is funny Any time someone brings attention to a issue with DJI the bank them!
2017-2-15
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

Yeh the poor OP, who was actually providing some information and samples has been banned...I've been warned twice already....Garbage of a forum. WHats the point of a people if people cannot express their concerns. Sure sometimes frustration gets the best of us but come on, no need to ban folks. Delete the offensive post or something.
2017-2-15
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

no-flyzone Posted at 2017-2-15 11:20
Who’s talking about 1080????   were talking about why do you need to do a cold reset to get sharp images and video???????     DO tell I see you banned the truth on this forum you banned a customer that did care enough to test and show and give a work around and you banned him from this forum !   How sad that is !   Ken you’re a real peace of work!  An Dji should be ashamed !     I have seen the water color effect on the Video that are online !      Is funny Any time someone brings attention to a issue with DJI the bank them!

Forum user chriztian is.

Hey DJI Ken, I couldn't get that PDF to open for me, seems a permissions issue?
2017-2-15
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-2-15 12:37
Forum user chriztian is.

Hey DJI Ken, I couldn't get that PDF to open for me, seems a permissions issue?

Nevermind, it's working now. Thanks.
2017-2-15
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-2-15 09:52
Yeah I looked at this youtube upload on native 1080p monitor. A lot of aliasing going on. From the testing I've done, 4k 30 ntsc seems to be where it's at. I know some here like 2k 25 too. I think having the extra pixels is better.

If you need 60fps, try 48 instead and see if you like that. You can always encode to 60 if needed.

No, 48 does it too.  Again, anything over 30.  This is really unfortunate.  
2017-2-15
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

alirz5 Posted at 2017-2-15 11:25
Yeh the poor OP, who was actually providing some information and samples has been banned...I've been warned twice already....Garbage of a forum. WHats the point of a people if people cannot express their concerns. Sure sometimes frustration gets the best of us but come on, no need to bad folks. Delete the offensive post or something.

Yea we all have bad days & might write something we shouldn't.  But even after he was warned, he became very uncouth about everything.  
2017-2-15
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

dv8ed Posted at 2017-2-15 09:58
I set mine to color profile none 0 0 0 as well and there's purple magenta in the trees. For example trees with no leaves should be gray or brown but I see predominantly purple magenta.

Try 0 0 0 & D-Log now.  It's nothing like the previous, unusable D-Log that showed gradients (especially the sky).  

However with those settings, I'm seeing blue & red speckles (noise) in RAW DNG stills.  Like, the really bad kind of noise.  The RAWs look processed!  I'm not super worried, as I've got Topaz Denoise (incredible software).  But it'd be handy if video & photo settings could be separated completely.  

So, for example, I could then switch to photo mode & already have different sharpness, contrast, saturation values and/or Color Mode (D-Log, D-Cinelike, None, etc).
2017-2-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules