22534 277 2017-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

alirz5 Posted at 2017-4-10 11:36
Anyone that upgraded to .550 firmware notice any improvement with this issue by any chance?

No, in fact I cannot shoot anything in lower light now (sunsets/sunrises).  The watercolor effect looks like someone Photoshopped in certain objects & then left the horizon unfinished.  It's weird.  I do know that the low-light video footage is unusable.  

Stills seem to still do alright, but more noise is now present and I definitely see more hot pixels.  I've got a decent amount of flight time with this 3rd Mavic of mine, so the sensor has more usage.
2017-4-23
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-4-23 15:51
No, in fact I cannot shoot anything in lower light now (sunsets/sunrises).  The watercolor effect looks like someone Photoshopped in certain objects & then left the horizon unfinished.  It's weird.  I do know that the low-light video footage is unusable.  

Stills seem to still do alright, but more noise is now present and I definitely see more hot pixels.  I've got a decent amount of flight time with this 3rd Mavic of mine, so the sensor has more usage.

What does it look like at iso 100? Anything over 100 and it gets artifacts over here, so limited to 1/30 sec shutter on video, but photos can leave the shutter open awhile. Think hdr at manual 100 iso is how to take low light shots then deal with what you got in post.
2017-4-23
Use props
fans74a83cfc
New
Flight distance : 23399 ft
United States

But... is this amount of noise normal?

http://imgur.com/a/2NgAw

How do you utilize +1 sharpness with this level of noise in non-static items? I really had issues with the watercolor on trees thing and now I'm trying to actually sharpen items. I just want to know that my unit isn't defective.

2017-4-24
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
United States

fans74a83cfc Posted at 2017-4-24 06:13
But... is this amount of noise normal?

http://imgur.com/a/2NgAw

Yeah I get the same thing with higher iso. Set it manually to 100 before the shot and adjust your exposure with the right dial. The higher iso gets grainy
2017-4-24
Use props
fans74a83cfc
New
Flight distance : 23399 ft
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-4-24 07:46
Yeah I get the same thing with higher iso. Set it manually to 100 before the shot and adjust your exposure with the right dial. The higher iso gets grainy

Appreciate the response. I think I had ISO set to 100 on this one but maybe I was mistaken.

Do overexposed shots get this kind of noise too @ high sharpening?
2017-4-24
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-4-23 16:24
What does it look like at iso 100? Anything over 100 and it gets artifacts over here, so limited to 1/30 sec shutter on video, but photos can leave the shutter open awhile. Think hdr at manual 100 iso is how to take low light shots then deal with what you got in post.

Yea, I need to play around with it A LOT more, for sure.  Again, the stills are actually great if you dial in your own settings (which you should).  I'm just having issues with the video in lower light.  I'd rather have noise that some software could mitigate than have the video self-destruct.
2017-4-24
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
United States

fans74a83cfc Posted at 2017-4-24 08:33
Appreciate the response. I think I had ISO set to 100 on this one but maybe I was mistaken.

Do overexposed shots get this kind of noise too @ high sharpening?

Running older firmware (1.2.9), so it's not really an apple to apple comparison. I shoot at 0 sharp and it's fine with manual focus. If that was iso 100, can say mine doesn't do that.

Hey drone, I see what you mean. I guess if you have the software. I haven't shot a really good night video that I'm happy with, the noise at the higher iso, I don't have anything to counter it here.
2017-4-24
Use props
b0n3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21083 ft
Russia

Hello Guys,

Today I faced with the same issue!!!!
I've changed setting to Pal and everything became normal !!!!
How to fix that? What if this happen somewhere on vacation???
Cause it's impossible to notice it until you upload your footage to PC. Six months everythig was fine and now it happens on the latest firmware 800.
Attached 2 files, both are with the following settings: NTSC 4k 30fps D-Log 0 -1 -1, one before reset settings NTSC to Pal and back and other is after settings were reseted.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5nxv74 ... AL%20reset.MP4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/isuy0p ... AL%20reset.MP4?dl=0

2017-6-18
Use props
b0n3
lvl.4
Russia

Hey, DJI!!!
Do you plan to comment this issue????
2017-6-18
Use props
fansa0cfdba9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1036762 ft
Austria

After the FW Update 2017.04.05 the Video Quality is randomly VERY bad and then good again..
In a Test today it switched Quality without me changing anything exept exposure.. before i was playing around with reset Camera Settings, changing Picture Profile, Restarting the Mavic, Taking the Battery out and in again and so on..
Settings were  UHD PAL 25p and i dont remember the Picture profile ( i think it was art )..
here are two exports ( resized to 1920) from today.. the difference is visible, and the only difference is manual exposure to automatic (???)..
so here is manual: (-,7 exposure)
frame-000000.jpg
and here is automatic..
frame-000001.jpg
maybe we need to overexpose to get rid of the Noise Reduction ?
frame-000000.jpg
2017-6-20
Use props
philip100
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4453907 ft
Denmark

Hello,

There's no solution so far... It's like balancing between crap and crap. Sharpness <+1 = muddy shadows ("watercolor"),  >=+1 = flickering, I'm really disappointed.
I'd agree with that crapy stuff if this drone cost about half its price, but all I have now is an EXPENSIVE, remotely controlled flying toy :-(((

This little bird can carry a GoPro camera sticked on its back (even two, I've seen movies on youtube) without any problem, but DJI implemented a camera that is even worst than a decent phone has :-(
I know it's all about marketing. DJI wouldn't be able to sell their higher models if the video from mavic would be really good, but honestly, the issue mentioned here (and elsewhere over the web) is not a price compromis, it's a joke. A fault, an issue that should have been fixed months ago.

Look at the horizon line and the clouds (noise flickering also visible on the sand close to the water)
Settings: D-Log (+1 -2 -1)
Manual exposure, ISO100, manual white balance.

2017-6-21
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473389 ft
Romania

philip100 Posted at 2017-6-21 10:47
Hello,

There's no solution so far... It's like balancing between crap and crap. Sharpness =+1 = flickering, I'm really disappointed.

yep my opinion as well...they not doing anything to remedy video problems...
2017-6-21
Use props
noipego
lvl.3
Greece

embarrassing but they dont care as they are the king of the hill
2017-6-22
Use props
jpap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1780679 ft
Greece

This flickering drives me crazy!
2017-6-22
Use props
b0n3
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Did they fix this suddenly happening problem with the watercolor effect?
2017-7-4
Use props
b0n3
lvl.4
United Kingdom

HEY DJI!!!
WHY ARE YOU IGNORING THIS THREAD???I've already faced with this issue twice on the latest firmware!
2017-7-10
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

b0n3 Posted at 2017-7-10 23:19
HEY DJI!!!
WHY ARE YOU IGNORING THIS THREAD???I've already faced with this issue twice on the latest firmware!

i think I might have this issue - see here http://forum.dji.com/thread-104053-1-1.html
2017-7-11
Use props
Fixaldo
lvl.2

Norway

Have anyone made a petition on this subject? Seriously. Every day, week and month passing by makes this issue less likely fixed. The Mavic pro has been a huge success. Backordered for months and bragged about. Only a “handful of people” addressing the issue with IQ…? What company would put their engineers onto that problem? They are probably busy making Mavic pro 2.

I will sign.
2017-7-11
Use props
Benjamin Kanare
lvl.1
France

jpap Posted at 2017-6-22 01:20
This flickering drives me crazy!

What shutter speed are you shooting at?
2017-7-11
Use props
fans915ed907
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5416604 ft
Hong Kong

flickering due to the insufficient I/B frame and 60mbps compression codec. no hope to fix it, live with it. You can fix this at post processing. There is a noise removal plugin called Neat video ,  apply it and wola but very time consuming.
2017-7-11
Use props
max67
New
Malaysia

Hello everybody here ! Just came back from a shoot at a waterfall settings where D cinelike  0:0:0  did the focus thing by tapping on the screen and the footage came out like crap ! Oh, did i mention that i just got it back from repair and waited 5 weeks just to find out that there is the same problem with watercolor video again! DJI please this is a big problem and people pay big bucks for this machine Please do something about that !  
how can i add the video on here???

2017-7-25
Use props
mwilde
New

Canada

Any update on this? Just started using a Mavic, and really disappointed by the quality of the photos and video. I wasn't expecting miracles, but the compression / noise reduction is awful.

Little disappointed by DJIs response too (or should I say lack of). Thankfully I'm just borrowing my Dad's drone for a bit - not sure I'd buy one myself looking at how long issues like this have gone unresolved and definitely won't recommend their drones to friends...
2017-8-21
Use props
elvinyang
New
Flight distance : 76677 ft
United States

Mavic's flight performance is awesome but the camera is just too poor tbh. Current solution is having sharpness +1 and do NR on your computer with some post-production tools
2017-8-29
Use props
fyl88
lvl.2
Flight distance : 398274 ft
Japan

fansa0cfdba9 Posted at 2017-6-20 12:35
After the FW Update 2017.04.05 the Video Quality is randomly VERY bad and then good again..
In a Test today it switched Quality without me changing anything exept exposure.. before i was playing around with reset Camera Settings, changing Picture Profile, Restarting the Mavic, Taking the Battery out and in again and so on..
Settings were  UHD PAL 25p and i dont remember the Picture profile ( i think it was art )..

I noticed .1000 fw results in much brighter photos and videos from people's posts.

Maybe they bump up exposure and thus the "Improved image quality." in the change log ?
2017-8-29
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

fyl88 Posted at 2017-8-29 20:06
I noticed .1000 fw results in much brighter photos and videos from people's posts.

Maybe they bump up exposure and thus the "Improved image quality." in the change log ?

My impression is that even on 0,0,0 the images are way more clear and sharp than before. I haven't had watercolor effect issues with .1000, although I haven't flown much with it yes.
2017-8-30
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

Got to say I have not had the issues you all talk about but my drone was only purchased a few weeks ago and I updated all the firmware immediately upon getting it home. Have to say I am happy with the quality of the video I have shot so far and I have not even done any post production. I am more into researching how best to get the footage so as to minimise post production.

I tend to fly using Cine-d-like -1/-2 sharpness with 0 and 0 for the other settings. Always have the histogram on screen and manual on white balance. I tend to take more notice of the histogram than anything else and adjust the iso settings etc. to get the mountain into the middle. again I always tap focus before starting to record and always calibrate the drone for its new position ....
2017-8-30
Use props
gimprota
New
Canada

I have to say that this is rubbish.
I bought the Mavic and sold the Phantom and looking at my footage is pure crap.

I started looking on the forums and I found this and a few other topics when this NR is discussed as for when the sharpness is less than 1.
This should have been stated and documented, I don't want an over-sharpened or a splotchy-watercolor video.
The Phantom 3 Pro wasn't doing that with negative sharpness.

I am going to try to shoot with sharpness at 0 and 1 and see what happens but this is really bad, seriously thinking of selling the Mavic, this is the clear demonstration that is just a toy and not for professionals. DJI should address this immediately, the number one feature of a company in this digitally connected world is customer support and is clear that there is a problem with this product.

G. Improta
2017-10-17
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

gimprota Posted at 2017-10-17 08:43
I have to say that this is rubbish.
I bought the Mavic and sold the Phantom and looking at my footage is pure crap.

Sharpness at 1 gets rid of it (video).  This has been a known fix for 6 months.  

Logic would dictate that ZERO would be OFF, but...  Logic.
2017-10-17
Use props
gimprota
New
Canada

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-10-17 10:58
Sharpness at 1 gets rid of it (video).  This has been a known fix for 6 months.  

Logic would dictate that ZERO would be OFF, but...  Logic.

+1 gets rid of the NR, but it also adds oversharpening.
Not ideal, don't you think?

G.
2017-10-22
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

gimprota Posted at 2017-10-22 08:00

I've never flown at +1, 0 seems oversharpened to my tastes in some lighting conditions, might someday shoot -1 for really brightly lit scenes. Never have the watercolor effect at 0 on well-exposed scenes.
2017-10-22
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

gimprota Posted at 2017-10-22 08:00

0 isn't ZERO in this case. Do whatever you want, but +1 turns that watercoloring off.
2017-10-22
Use props
gimprota
New
Canada

Your replies are quite useless and also rude, to be honest.

When the NR option is OFF, the footage should never have noise reduction applied to it.
If I want the crappy noise I should be able to get that, so at least I can clean it properly in post.

Still hoping DJI will release a fix where the noise reduction is completely OFF no matter what the sharpening setting is.

G.

2017-10-23
Use props
gimprota
New
Canada

Mavic is a great tool, but these things need to be addressed.
G.

2017-10-23
Use props
gimprota
New
Canada

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-10-22 08:53
I've never flown at +1, 0 seems oversharpened to my tastes in some lighting conditions, might someday shoot -1 for really brightly lit scenes. Never have the watercolor effect at 0 on well-exposed scenes.

The problem is also visible in well-exposed shots when the shadows are pretty dark, at -3 sharpening at least. I'll do an extensive testing with the sharpness at 0 and 1, thanks for your reply!

G.
2017-10-23
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

gimprota Posted at 2017-10-23 15:24
The problem is also visible in well-exposed shots when the shadows are pretty dark, at -3 sharpening at least. I'll do an extensive testing with the sharpness at 0 and 1, thanks for your reply!

G.

Yes, the dynamic range of the camera is a bit limited, so high contrast scenes are challenging.
2017-10-23
Use props
nottuppaware
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-10-23 15:54
Yes, the dynamic range of the camera is a bit limited, so high contrast scenes are challenging.

I found in high contrast scenes, I'll go for d-log and hope I can bring it back in. Crazy I found that my spark handles those types of scenes better.
2017-10-23
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

nottuppaware Posted at 2017-10-23 16:51
I found in high contrast scenes, I'll go for d-log and hope I can bring it back in. Crazy I found that my spark handles those types of scenes better.

Great idea, I'll have to give that a shot. Usually consider d-log more trouble than it's worth for what I need, but that's a great use case, thanks!
2017-10-31
Use props
jimmybbq
lvl.1
United States

I've just gotten back on this site to investigate this problem.. last week was the first time I flew my mavic since July so I had to do a firmware update.. Shot a couple of videos and now it looks like i'm a watercolorist..  THIS IS A PROBLEM!  It is being discussed on a lot of other forums.. I did NOT notice this problem before. I shot a ton of videos earlier in the year and they were fine.. I did not change any settings D-log, -1, -2, -2 1/60th, 100ISO, using 8 and 16 ND filters...  How do I downgrade to whatever firmware was on MY drone in July?

Wanna see how bad it is? look at :53 and 2:30, no those are not cobwebs in those trees... Jesus!!

2017-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules