Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
no gimbal control
1378 18 2017-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flowbie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124281 ft
Canada

Hi all,
I hope someone can shed some light on this for me.
I was walking with my drone but forgot to turn it off. It was upside down etc. Anyhow I got a gimbal overload warning and now I have no gimbal control.
I have picture, can record etc but no control of the gimbal and no "dance" on restart.

Not too sure how to go about fixing this.

Suggestions?

Thanks

2017-2-8
Use props
Untheory
lvl.3
Flight distance : 58045 ft
France

Did you try gimbal calibration ?
2017-2-8
Use props
flowbie
lvl.3
Canada

I just fired it up again and it started the dance then went a bit crazy. Now it won't move at all again. Tried gimbal calibration but nothing. Argh.
2017-2-8
Use props
flowbie
lvl.3
Canada

gimbal malfunction. Contact customer service for repairs.

Anyone suggest a self fix?
2017-2-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

That's seems like a strange occurrence. How were you carrying it, upside down?

Hopefully you weren't holding it by the camera.

Yes, I know, just saying. . . ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-8
Use props
flowbie
lvl.3
Canada

I wasn't carrying it upside down but nose down for a bit. I was using it as a handheld gimbal for a bit. Argh.
2017-2-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

flowbie Posted at 2017-2-8 12:34
I wasn't carrying it upside down but nose down for a bit. I was using it as a handheld gimbal for a bit. Argh.

Ahh, I get it now. Well that's a real downer.
I hope that you can get it repaired, with normal gimbal behaviour, real soon.

Report back how it goes, will you?  Thanks

RedHotPoker
2017-2-8
Use props
flowbie
lvl.3
Canada

Hmmm I have it on right now and it's making the d-d-d-d- d-d-d-d d-d-d-d sound. Anyone know what that means? In the overall status it's saying "Abnormal"
2017-2-8
Use props
KevDrones
Second Officer
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

Did you do Gimbal and IMU calibration.
2017-2-8
Use props
flowbie
lvl.3
Canada

KevDrones Posted at 2017-2-8 16:47
Did you do Gimbal and IMU calibration.

Thanks Kev. Only the gimbal. I'll try both later tonight. It's so weird because it was working fine and I had just flown it. I didn't think I could overload and ruin the gimbal by carrying it vertically. I was going to buy an Osmo Mobile which would have worked better for what I was trying to do.
2017-2-8
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

flowbie Posted at 2017-2-8 21:38
Thanks Kev. Only the gimbal. I'll try both later tonight. It's so weird because it was working fine and I had just flown it. I didn't think I could overload and ruin the gimbal by carrying it vertically. I was going to buy an Osmo Mobile which would have worked better for what I was trying to do.

Does the gimbal itself feel like it's overheating? Do you notice any nicks in the ribbon cable?
2017-2-8
Use props
flowbie
lvl.3
Canada

HI Jamie,
The gimbal does feel warm since there's no air flow on it but I looked closer at it tonight and noticed the ribbon cable to the yaw arm (I believe that's the one). I'm not too sure if the ribbon cable is supposed to look like this or if it's been split somehow and shorting out the motor control.
Possibly???
IMG_5856 by Steve Lowe, on FlickrIMG_5855 by Steve Lowe, on Flickr
IMG_5857 by Steve Lowe, on Flickr
2017-2-9
Use props
flowbie
lvl.3
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-8 23:18
Does the gimbal itself feel like it's overheating? Do you notice any nicks in the ribbon cable?

Help! Anyone know if this is normal?
2017-2-9
Use props
flowbie
lvl.3
Canada

Just looked again tonight and noticed a small nick in the cable. Could that be it? I still have video so maybe the nick is only affecting the gimbal?
IMG_5858.jpg
2017-2-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

flowbie Posted at 2017-2-10 19:37
Just looked again tonight and noticed a small nick in the cable. Could that be it? I still have video so maybe the nick is only affecting the gimbal?

This seems to be the likely culprit. I believe the best course of action would be to have the unit sent in for repair.
2017-2-10
Use props
flowbie
lvl.3
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-10 21:50
This seems to be the likely culprit. I believe the best course of action would be to have the unit sent in for repair.

Thanks jaimie. I can't believe something that small could have such a large effect.
2017-2-11
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

flowbie Posted at 2017-2-11 00:04
Thanks jaimie. I can't believe something that small could have such a large effect.

Little things like that are really easy to overlook. Even though it looks small, the wires are fine enough to where something like that can be a disruption.
2017-2-13
Use props
flowbie
lvl.3
Canada

Replaced the ribbon cable today and it works again. I think it shorted where the ribbon cable inserts into the yaw motor board when I was out in the snow. I noticed a bit of arcing there so I cleaned it up a bit to ensure a good connection. Thanks for the help everyone.
2017-2-15
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

flowbie Posted at 2017-2-15 21:56
Replaced the ribbon cable today and it works again. I think it shorted where the ribbon cable inserts into the yaw motor board when I was out in the snow. I noticed a bit of arcing there so I cleaned it up a bit to ensure a good connection. Thanks for the help everyone.

Good to hear it got sorted.
2017-2-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules