Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
IPhone 7 Airplane Mode
1311 7 2017-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tvl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197779 ft
United States

I have a question or concern:

As most others users here on this site, I have an iPhone and I also use it with my Phantom 4 Radio Controller as my display. I've only had my drone for about two weeks now and I have NOT been in the habit of shutting off various services when operating the drone. There are times during a flight I will get an alert notification of a a new mail message, text, or news item. This is distracting and I am also weary that it may cause flight issues at some point. Therefore, I am thinking of setting the iPhone 7 in airplane mode before operating the drone.

I just recently did some research on the iPhone 7's airplane mode and came across the following statement:  "Airplane mode disables your device's ability to send or receive any type of wireless transmission".

Since I am not sure how the iPhone couples with the radio controller, I'm not so sure this is a good idea. Hopefully, the iPhone is used for nothing more than a display and all other functions are done by either the aircraft and/or controller. I just don't want to introduce an issue by putting the iPhone in airplane mode if that is not the case and the iPhone also needs to be making some type of wireless transmission.

Please be easy on me if this is a dumb question!!
2017-2-8
Use props
brunobaptista
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1369839 ft
Brazil

The communication between your iPhone and the remote controller is done via the USB cable.

I've used airplane mode almost all times with no issue.
The GPS of the iPhone remains enabled, even in airplane mode.

In my experience (meaning - the times I forgot to put it in airplane mode) there were no issues. But it is a good practice. I imagine how disturbing it can be to receive a call during flight, obscuring the screen, etc.

Happy flying.
2017-2-9
Use props
brunobaptista
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1369839 ft
Brazil

(double posting, deleted).
2017-2-9
Use props
tvl
lvl.3
United States

RE: IPhone 7 Airplane Mode

brunobaptista Posted at 2017-2-9 07:09
The communication between your iPhone and the remote controller is done via the USB cable.

I've used airplane mode almost all times with no issue.

Thanks for the reply! I was not aware that GPS was still enabled when the phone was in airplane mode. However, this creates further confusion:

1- Is the GPS on the iPhone being utilized for the P4 during flight? And if so, in what way?

2- I somehow thought the GPS module on the P4 was controlling the various functions of the P4 and the iPhone was nothing more than a display. Of course, I do realize the DJI Go 4 app also resides on the phone and is needed to interact with the P4. But what else am I not understanding?

Thanks again!
2017-2-9
Use props
jwt-873
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

The GPS on the drone is used to control it during flight..   The iPhone GPS is needed for "Follow Me" and  to show/record where you were standing as you flew.   But GPS isn't necessary.   Devices without GPS will work with no problems.

2017-2-9
Use props
fans7abb5ff0
lvl.1

United States

If in Airplane then how does a map download as you are flying? I am talking about the small map on iPhone screen at bottom left that enlarges when you tap it.
2017-2-9
Use props
jwt-873
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

You can't download anything in airplane mode.   If you want to see maps while in airplane mode, you need to do is go into the general settings on your device and select "Cache maps in background".   

Then, while connected to the net at home, go to the area you plan to fly.   When you do that, the maps you see will be saved on your iPhone.  When you go to your flying space (away from the internet), you'll be seeing the map saved on your iPhone and not downloaded from the net.  If you don't cache any maps, then the map display will be blank.

For what it's worth I don't use airplane mode.   I never turn off the Cellular function so I can download maps where ever I may be.  This does away with the need to cache maps.   But I always turn off WiFi because I find it sometimes causes interference with the video signal coming from the drone.
2017-2-9
Use props
tvl
lvl.3
United States

For what it's worth I don't use airplane mode.   I never turn off the Cellular function so I can download maps where ever I may be.   But I always turn off WiFi because I find it sometimes causes interference with the video signal coming from the drone.

The iPhone GPS is needed for "Follow Me" and  to show/record where you were standing as you flew.

The statements above still have me somewhat confused .................. especially the second one.  But, based on these statements, I think I would be better off by NOT using the airplane mode and making it a point to simply turn off Wi-Fi and alerts whenever I fly the P4. Unless someone can sway me otherwise, this really does seem to be the best method.
2017-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules