Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Please help a newbie out ! Thanks
820 5 2017-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gregcrammond72
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68737 ft
United Kingdom

Hi
Please could someone help me out , i have been watching endless videos on settings etc for night flying and the one thing i cant seem to find an answer too is what would i set the White balance too if i was going to do night filming ? , Northern lights .
Would i put it to Auto white balance or woulkd i be better doing something else for night shooting ? or can i just choose sunny even though its at night ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
Greg

2017-2-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

For white balance I would use auto,
2017-2-10
Use props
gregcrammond72
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68737 ft
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-10 10:54
For white balance I would use auto,

Thanks appreciate it
2017-2-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

If you choose the Auto mode first, then check the numbers for reference. It will give you a great staring point, where you can then go to Manual mode and make minor adjustments.
Finding the settings that give you the most pleasing results, to your liking. Every location is different, as are your eyes and what you like best. It's subjective.

Like the old saying, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Experiment plenty, unlike 35mm film photography, you can delete any pics that don't appeal to you.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-10
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

Take RAW.  You can then use any WB you think will be OK.
If it turns out you get colours that are not agreeable to you you can change your white balance to any value in your editing program.
You will also get a 16 bit image to adjust, instead of the 8 bit JPEG.
8 bit gives you only 256 shades of each colour.  16 bit gives 65,536.  Therefore you will get much more chance to reveal detail in shadows and the ability to tone down highlights.  
2017-2-11
Use props
warloc59
lvl.3
Flight distance : 209160 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes. As a professional photographer myself I can tell you that trying to set White balance at night outdoors is useless. Too many light sources to deal with. Just set it to auto and you can adjust the temperature and what not and your software during editing.  I always shoot RAW with my Canon 5D III.  WB doesn't matter in that case.
2017-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules