Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone for lunch
3609 25 2017-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sdevan45
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6493 ft
United States

This was not Photoshopped (Eagle vs. Drone: A golden eagle carries a flying drone away during a military training exercise at Mont-de-Marsan French Air Force base. REUTERS/Regis Duvignau)
Drone for lunch.png
2017-2-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I doubt the complete authenticity of that, the aircraft is either a dummy shell or they took the camera off.
2017-2-10
Use props
sdevan45
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-10 13:28
I doubt the complete authenticity of that, the aircraft is either a dummy shell or they took the camera off.

http://www.reuters.com/news/pict ... rticleId=USRTX30HMJ
2017-2-10
Use props
blackcrusader
First Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-10 13:28

It's been known for sometime they are teaching birds of prey to take out drones.

2017-2-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

The Dutch are also famous for thee delightful coffee shops that cater to the herb loving aficionados too.

So it's no wonder to me, when they conceive other unusual ideas, over there.  ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-10
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Top speed of a golden eagle in level flight is 13mph less than a Phantom 4 in sports mode so there is no problem outrunning them, just don't let them get above you because their dive speed is 150mph!
2017-2-10
Use props
way wrong
Second Officer
Flight distance : 351631 ft
Estonia

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-10 13:40
It's been known for sometime they are teaching birds of prey to take out drones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAYVyj6vf3Y

It was a demonstration clearly. Look at those claws and there is some kind of leash hanging from his/her leg. Better picture is seen from the lin. Eagle has gloves on to not to injure his/her claws.
2017-2-10
Use props
Augustus Brian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 397592 ft
United States

Hanging strap might be used to arrest or inhibit props prior to claw snare.

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2017-2-10
Use props
Jonimo
Captain
Flight distance : 4515404 ft
United States

They should have used a Parrot drone since they're are in France {:4_181:}
2017-2-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Another hilight from the French... Copying the Dutch..

RedHotPoker
2017-2-10
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
First Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-10 13:44
The Dutch are also famous for thee delightful coffee shops that cater to the herb loving aficionados too.

So it's no wonder to me, when they conceive other unusual ideas, over there.  ;-)

Ha, Ha There very cloudy coffee shops Ha!
But I have seen this before how true it is I'm not sure.
2017-2-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2017-2-10 18:01
Ha, Ha There very cloudy coffee shops Ha!
But I have seen this before how true it is I'm not sure.

You have to wonder what the passionate Dutch will come up with next? ;-)

The way things are headed in the USA & Canada this spring, we all will be in a happy fog soon. Hahaha
Heads in the cloud, grinning like a rake.

The eagle has landed, but why train it to take down drones. Why not give it a real live treat for watching the border, or following speeding motorists. Are RC hobby drones a national threat?

RedHotPoker
2017-2-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-10 13:40

I've seen this one before, it's pretty fascinating. It seems natural, though, to train them to be more consistent with the kind of 'ferocity' they tend to inflict on drones in the wild.
2017-2-10
Use props
freelanderuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 177720 ft
United Kingdom

way wrong Posted at 2017-2-10 14:32
It was a demonstration clearly. Look at those claws and there is some kind of leash hanging from his/her leg. Better picture is seen from the lin. Eagle has gloves on to not to injure his/her claws.

Those straps are called jesses and are used in the handling of the bird and to tether the bird to the glove or perch when out side

2017-2-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I would be very concerned about the possible injuries to the birds legs and feet caused by the aircraft props, particularly if the aircraft owner is using carbon fibre props.
2017-2-11
Use props
24ctDrone
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-11 00:28
I would be very concerned about the possible injuries to the birds legs and feet caused by the aircraft props, particularly if the aircraft owner is using carbon fibre props.

Definitely not a dummy shell.  The eagle has wrapped claws with falcon jesses that are used all around the world.  They are caught with "gloves" called eagle gauntlets that protect both the eagles feet and the trainers arm.  Eagles have extremely long talons and that one up there is massive and the phantom wing blades probably would do little damage even if claws were not wrapped (good that they did though).   An Inspire on the other hand.  That's a different story.   Thanks boyscouts, useless knowledge abound.  
2017-2-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Injuries from a drone prop? Never gonna happen. ;-)
I think you need to see a large eagle close up to understand how thick and strong their legs and talons are.
Living survivors, of their anscestoral dinosaur beginnings.
See those thick scales like protectors? More like armor than actual skin.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

RedHotPoker

2017-2-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

24ctDrone Posted at 2017-2-11 01:39
Definitely not a dummy shell.  The eagle has wrapped claws with falcon jesses that are used all around the world.  They are caught with "gloves" called eagle gauntlets that protect both the eagles feet and the trainers arm.  Eagles have extremely long talons and that one up there is massive and the phantom wing blades probably would do little damage even if claws were not wrapped (good that they did though).   An Inspire on the other hand.  That's a different story.   Thanks boyscouts, useless knowledge abound.

Now that you point it out, I can see the leather 'gloves' on the talons, but that still leaves 4 props spinning at high speed. In the case of a Phantom, the props do not stop when the eagle grabs it, in fact they rev even faster in an attempt to right the aircraft. Take a look at the injury to this man's arm when he fumbled a catch: http://forum.dji.com/thread-60870-1-1.html What if the aircraft swings around and strikes the bird's body?

I think this is an irresponsible thing to make a bird do, and the people who train the birds are putting them in harm's way for what? This stupid misguided idea that a 'drone' should be taken down? Idiots....
2017-2-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-11 01:51
Injuries from a drone prop? Never gonna happen. ;-)
I think you need to see a large eagle close up to understand how thick and strong their legs and talons are.
Living survivors, of their anscestoral dinosaur beginnings.

Yeah, I have had one on my arm. Read the rest of my post, the feet are not the only parts of the eagle in danger.
2017-2-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-11 01:58
Yeah, I have had one on my arm. Read the rest of my post, the feet are not the only parts of the eagle in danger.

Check a few of these eagle hunts out, even goes after a bear, wolves, you name it.

Pretty amazing, fearless and tough as nails.

RedHotPoker

2017-2-11
Use props
24ctDrone
lvl.1

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-11 02:10
Check a few of these eagle hunts out, even goes after a bear, wolves, you name it.
.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faJPthAvKq0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpuRSPEEv0o

Poker is correct,  an eagle that size would dominate the drone and keep it far from it's body.  They are very intelligent creatures.  They also made modifications to the drone if you look at the undercarriage.  It's very possible the drone was taken to a high altitude and motors killed upon attack--blades may not be moving and that may be a sensor.  Regardless,  if a bird that size can pick up a Wolf,  I'm sure it's all good.  However I understand your concern for the Eagle (or the drone).  Good on yah mate.
2017-2-11
Use props
Jonimo
Captain
Flight distance : 4515404 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-11 02:10
.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faJPthAvKq0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpuRSPEEv0o

WOW! I did not know they hunted such large animals. I have seen a bald eagle eating a fox before but figured it was killed by something else and the bird was scavenging it. I have buzzards that have been messing with me here lately, had one dive in front of my P3S when I was trying to get out of the sky. It's difficult to move away from them without looking like your running. I was thinking/hoping they are just curious.

2017-2-11
Use props
sdevan45
lvl.1
United States

In Africa, large eagles have been seen attacking and carrying off infants.   
2017-2-11
Use props
Augustus Brian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 397592 ft
United States

freelanderuk Posted at 2017-2-11 00:20
Those straps are called jesses and are used in the handling of the bird and to tether the bird to the glove or perch when out side

freelanderuk:

Thanks for that explanation.

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2017-2-11
Use props
Col-Drone
lvl.1

United States

You see this posted pictures of folks getting their hands cut up pretty good because of the propellers.  Can't see this as being safe for the birds.
2017-2-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Col-Drone Posted at 2017-2-11 09:43
You see this posted pictures of folks getting their hands cut up pretty good because of the propellers.  Can't see this as being safe for the birds.

Eagles are wild and wildly tough. Look at the feet above. Unlike our thin skinned selves.

We are weak and feeble, our skin is not made for battle or survival, so that comparison is lame, bud.

We bite our nails, try chewing through a talon.

Look at the thick gauntlet worn by any raptor handler... Not for fashion.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules