Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New laws in USA killing industry
12Next >
3129 55 2017-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NMDrone
Flight distance : 171 ft
United States

I'm worried... Its getting that every local government is trying to put a clamp on drone flights and are trying to write laws against flight. Im in business and because its all over the news realtors are now reluctant to hire me. This isn't good!! This could literally cripple this industry. What a shame. The FAA needs to start getting involved and thus far they have done a dam thing. What do sales people think? or manufactures of drones think? This cannot be good?
What can we do? I'm one voice without allot of money.
I was just going to lay down a chunk of change for a new Inspire, not anymore,, so who's getting hurt? re-sellers and the manufactures.

2017-2-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

There was more negative reports tonight, on the NBC evening news from jet airline pilots.  

Apparently there were several more complaints to the towers, about drones flying near airports, and close calls.

Shaking my head in disgust for those drone pilots, who continue to put us all in bad light.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-10
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Agreed, the overall paranoia about drones is nuts... and more and more restrictions pop up! Nuts..  I can see the reasons for many, but many r just there because of unruly pilots and this is the land of fear for being sued.... If u do not cover your butt, someone will make profit on you...
2017-2-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

You can watch the news feed video here;
http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-n ... planes-874783811506
Make up your own mind, of the reality and truth.
Sadly, If we can't police ourselves, the authorities will do it for us. That's a fact.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-10
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

My understanding is FAA rules/laws have authority over all other parties.  A town can make a law that we can't launch, but they can't make a law that we can't fly.

As far as flying near airports, the laws are in place and just need to be enforced.  

And why not mount some kind of high speed video cameras so that we can see these drones that are threatening the airports.  Seems like half the time the drones end up being a shopping bag in an updraft.  It would be nice to see some hard evidence.  Even once would be nice.  

2017-2-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Drone sightings are the new UFO sightings. Anything a pilot sees these days is a drone.
2017-2-10
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Start with your local representative, than you senator, congressman etc..Threaten them with your vote and your family and friends vote. They will get involved!
2017-2-10
Use props
fans697fb222
Flight distance : 11457 ft
United States

With all the hysteria starting a couple years ago I figured there would be at least 3 or 4 planes brought down by drones by now. Practically, commercial droning is being shut down in the US except for a small group of highly financed players. It's the hobbyists that are doing the stupid stuff. Drone entrepreneurialism is looking to be a dead end for most people with an impractical authorization system. I'm just choosing to fly for fun from here on out and when the 3 pro gives up the life, I'm moving on to virtual reality in the privacy of my home.
2017-2-10
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha NM,

What you wrote does not make sense.  If you are FAA certified, the local or state regulations have to provide access to the airspace, just like heliports and airports can be regulated, but have to be allowed under reasonable conditions.  Every state or local regulation I have read about and investigated had basic and reasonable principles behind it and yet most have been deferred for further investigation.  

If realtors are not hiring you, it is because you are not doing your job.  Flying is only part of the job.  You need to learn what are the existing regulations in your area for commercial aerial photography.  You need to be aware of and testify regarding any proposed regulations, for and/or against.

Unless you have been doing your job for many years and have a reputation, as a photographer, you have to put out effort to get work.  You have to hustle for your work.  This is also true if you are an aerial photographer.  If you cannot put out the effort, you cannot have the job.  It is real simple.  Basic business.

Hope this helps!  It is meant to be a pep talk.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-10 18:28
You can watch the news feed video here;
http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-n ... planes-874783811506
Make up your own mind, of the reality and truth.

That's pretty damming for SUA, there are so many out there who have no idea of the damage they can potentially cause to human life.
Some may complain about new laws and restrictions, but when you see that happening, you just wonder what's next..
2017-2-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans697fb222 Posted at 2017-2-10 20:38
With all the hysteria starting a couple years ago I figured there would be at least 3 or 4 planes brought down by drones by now. Practically, commercial droning is being shut down in the US except for a small group of highly financed players. It's the hobbyists that are doing the stupid stuff. Drone entrepreneurialism is looking to be a dead end for most people with an impractical authorization system. I'm just choosing to fly for fun from here on out and when the 3 pro gives up the life, I'm moving on to virtual reality in the privacy of my home.

I don't understand how this can be having such an effect on commercial flying, you are already under the strict rules and laws of the FAA , surely the more rules and laws brought in for those who are flying there SUA irresponsibly is a good thing.
2017-2-11
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Maybe ALL drone manufacturers should have an initial test to make one familiar with the airspace laws before the drone can be activated and flown?

2017-2-11
Use props
Kirk2579
First Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-2-10 18:49
My understanding is FAA rules/laws have authority over all other parties.  A town can make a law that we can't launch, but they can't make a law that we can't fly.

As far as flying near airports, the laws are in place and just need to be enforced.  

I get what you all are saying but
many  siting's we have heard about are at very high altitudes

who to say it aint another type drone!
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/army ... -found-in-colorado/
2017-2-11
Use props
Kirk2579
First Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-10 17:36
There was more negative reports tonight, on the NBC evening news from jet airline pilots.  

Apparently there were several more complaints to the towers, about drones flying near airports, and close calls.

or it could be

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/army ... -found-in-colorado/
2017-2-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Kirk2579 Posted at 2017-2-11 10:15
or it could be

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/army-drone-missing-from-arizona-found-in-colorado/

Pretty sure most airline pilots have been briefed, educated, & are certainly well aware of what a multi rotor resembles, by now. Though UFO's come in all shapes, sizes, orientations. They also fly at many different altitudes and speeds.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-11 07:59
That's pretty damming for SUA, there are so many out there who have no idea of the damage they can potentially cause to human life.
Some may complain about new laws and restrictions, but when you see that happening, you just wonder what's next..

Apparently, we have become our own worst enemy too. That's a shame, as 98% percent of us are well meaning, law abiding, and only practicing our hobby, for a good time of RC piloting.

That's my interpretation. & I'm sticking to it. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-11
Use props
Caribou
lvl.3

France

Do not complain, the regulation is much worse in other countries .....
2017-2-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Kirk2579 Posted at 2017-2-11 10:15
or it could be

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/army-drone-missing-from-arizona-found-in-colorado/

No relation to our much smaller, slower flying drones. ;-)

Military drones are much larger, can fly at regular airplane heights, and quite often nearer to military installation.
If you live near an airbase or military establishment, you would be well aware and know that.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-11
Use props
WilliamM
First Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

I fly at least once a week, sometimes twice, for recreation. And have never had even one issue with the law or citizens. Knock on wood.
2017-2-11
Use props
WilliamM
First Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-10 17:36

Saw that last night as well, in two of the cases the drone was at 800 feet. Twice the height we're to stay under.  I hate big brother, but maybe every drone, any brand needs to have FW NFZ build in to every drone made with no way to override it.
2017-2-11
Use props
WilliamM
First Officer
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-2-10 18:49

Do you really think the airline should spend money that gets past down to the flying public in ticket prices because some idiot is getting a thrill seeing a jetliner in his FPV screen? I doubt very much that half of these reports are airborne trash. More like 80 to 90% are drones, at least.
2017-2-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

AlecW Posted at 2017-2-11 11:58
It's ok, our media won't cover anything but Trump for the next 4 years anyway ;)

We should pool our funds and send each of the Trump boys a fine drone gift. Anonymously of course. Ha

Then they can experience the thrill, & see how we all feel.  ;-)

RedHotPoker

2017-2-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

WilliamM Posted at 2017-2-11 14:00
Saw that last night as well, in two of the cases the drone was at 800 feet. Twice the height we're to stay under.  I hate big brother, but maybe every drone, any brand needs to have FW NFZ build in to every drone made with no way to override it.

Oh please no, not more restrictive laws and regulations.

I'd prefer the old Wild West, where showdowns at high noon were the norm. Haha

The Here maps are so old, you can actually fly over Dodge and watch that.  
The OK corral never looked so good. Chuckles

RedHotPoker
2017-2-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-2-11 08:19
Maybe ALL drone manufacturers should have an initial test to make one familiar with the airspace laws before the drone can be activated and flown?

Sure, more reasons to cheat on exams... Great.

You can memorize the Holy Bible too, doesn't make you a saint... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-11
Use props
WilliamM
First Officer
United States

It says that Gov drone had a range of 134 miles, but find it 600 miles away?

"hiker found the $1.5 million Shadow drone stuck in a tree " now thats a find.
2017-2-11
Use props
Odan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182913 ft
United States

I think the worst impact of these news items is that since they don't have a photo of the suspect drone......They go fishing for stock footage of drones.
Too bad they use the DJI product line so often.
In almost every animation I have seen on the news,  they seem to use the Phantom 3 series with the red strips on
the arms.
I would imagine that most of the one's causing the real problem are home built..
I have seen micro transponders for about $10,000.oo  Someone here put the store up on a thread at this forum.  
God help the poor B****** that actually does hit an aircraft and causes someone's  death. They will probably never see daylight again if they  catch them.  
2017-2-11
Use props
Gracieboxer
lvl.1

United States

AlecW Posted at 2017-2-11 11:58
It's ok, our media won't cover anything but Trump for the next 4 years anyway ;)

Thank god they won't be covering four yrs of Hillary.
2017-2-11
Use props
Augustus Brian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 397592 ft
United States

But then, on the flip side, there was this:

http://www.recode.net/2017/2/1/1 ... r-drone-fly-airport

Admittedly, not exactly part 107, but....

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2017-2-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I find it odd, the op never replied to any one on here?

Almost like a setup...
This will be my last comment on this thread. See ya! ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-12
Use props
Kirk2579
First Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-11 11:49
No relation to our much smaller, slower flying drones. ;-)

Military drones are much larger, can fly at regular airplane heights, and quite often nearer to military installation.

yes , exactly my point!
how many similar "government " units are flying long range, training etc.

many of the "drone " sitings by high altitude pilots may be seeing these

why assume all siting's are just rec flyers?
I am sure many/most are . but sometimes the complaints are just a bit too high it seems.

good luck and have fun flying!
2017-2-12
Use props
Kirk2579
First Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-11 14:12
Oh please no, not more restrictive laws and regulations.

I'd prefer the old Wild West, where showdowns at high noon were the norm. Haha

nice one on the maps..lol
2017-2-12
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Wonder if the military drones are reported by ATC during their flights to commercial aircraft if they venture outside the MOA or Restricted airspace which they likely do at times.
2017-2-12
Use props
Rotorjockey
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-10 19:12
Drone sightings are the new UFO sightings. Anything a pilot sees these days is a drone.

Being a General Aviation pilot and a Drone Pilot too, I can tell all of you one thing for sure. It is almost impossible to pick up visual on something as small as even the biggest commercial drone in the air unless that drone is above you and you can see it in a clear sky. When approaching airports, we are notified of aircraft, or in my case, I have been notified of birds in the area as seen by the tower on radar. While looking for these aircraft in the area it is very hard to see them sometimes, hence, I dont know how these pilots are seeing drones and the ATC can not see them as well.
2017-2-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Rotorjockey Posted at 2017-2-12 16:33
Being a General Aviation pilot and a Drone Pilot too, I can tell all of you one thing for sure. It is almost impossible to pick up visual on something as small as even the biggest commercial drone in the air unless that drone is above you and you can see it in a clear sky. When approaching airports, we are notified of aircraft, or in my case, I have been notified of birds in the area as seen by the tower on radar. While looking for these aircraft in the area it is very hard to see them sometimes, hence, I dont know how these pilots are seeing drones and the ATC can not see them as well.

Yes, there was a funny drone identification shadow chart around at one time, but it suggested anything the pilot sees is a drone.
2017-2-12
Use props
P4P+
lvl.4
United States

One pilot said he collided with a drone but they think it may have been a plastic bag.
Jet hit
2017-2-12
Use props
P4P+
lvl.4
United States

They need to hire a couple of 'spotters'- people with binoculars at the airports. It would be at points where the jets are at 1000 feet or lower. Then catch the operator by following the drone home with a helicopter.
2017-2-12
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

One of the issues I see is that people are often breaching the laws applicable in their location and then posting the video/images which highlight their transgressions.

In the US you "Must keep the aircraft in sight (visual line-of-sight)". How many times have we seen video which is in breach of that? I know there are exceptions if you have a licence and get a waiver but generally it's just disobeying the laws. This will cause a clamp down at some stage.

2017-2-12
Use props
WilliamM
First Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-12 16:36
Yes, there was a funny drone identification shadow chart around at one time, but it suggested anything the pilot sees is a drone.

It use to be a UFO, now it's safer to say drone and keep your pilot lic.
2017-2-13
Use props
WilliamM
First Officer
United States

Cabansail Posted at 2017-2-12 18:56
One of the issues I see is that people are often breaching the laws applicable in their location and then posting the video/images which highlight their transgressions.

In the US you "Must keep the aircraft in sight (visual line-of-sight)". How many times have we seen video which is in breach of that? I know there are exceptions if you have a licence and get a waiver but generally it's just disobeying the laws. This will cause a clamp down at some stage.

That's good advice, if your going to break the law filming it and posting it on YouTube is not such a good idea.
2017-2-13
Use props
Ob1415
lvl.1

United States

While attending AMT (Aircraft Maintenance Technology) a LONG time ago, we got to test out the Turbofan engines made by Rolls Royce, for the new (at that time) Boeing 777.  Our test consisted of simulated bird strikes to see the effect on the engine.  We were literally throwing frozen chickens into the inlet!  To all of our surprise, there was minimal damage to the fan blades on the turbine after 20 or so frozen chickens.  They'd go in whole and shoot out as a fine mist of chicken juice from the backend.  I remember it smelling just like roasted chicken, LOL.
2017-2-13
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules