Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD noise after crash
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jlschmugge
lvl.1
Flight distance : 130896 ft
United States

I hit a blast of wind that I think blew one of my propellers off sending my P3A spiraling to the ground (I couldn't find that propeller anywhere near the crash site).  There was some damage with seams popping, a couple cracks, and a bent gimbal.  I managed to pop most of the seams back together, get most of the dirt out of the motors, and the gimbal was able to loosen back up and calibrate.  I've tested it in manual flight and it seems to work.  The problem I am having is that when it first turned on after the crash it made the DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD sound that you get when the firmware doesn't update.  This card still had the last 1.10.90 firmware .bin on it.  If I delete the .bin the P3A works fine.  It didn't have a problem with the .bin on the card right before the crash.  I've reformatted the SD card and put the 1.10.90 firware back on to confirm it specifically bugs out when the firmware is on the card.

What could have happened from the crash that it is trying to load and fail the firmware?  My worry is, that if a new firmware comes out, I wouldn't be able to update it, and I'm stuck with a drone I can't use or have to send in for repair.  Do you think I will be fine on the next firmware update?

2017-2-11
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
First Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

If a blast of wind blew a prop off, that was one heck of a blast,...or, you didn't install the prop correctly. I suspect the latter! If the wind was blowing that strong, its hard for me to imagine why you would send $800 flying in the wind? Why are you flying with the firmware still uploaded on the SD card? After you have installed the lastest firmware on the aircraft and confirmed that the installion was sussessful, the SD card needs to be formatted and placed back into the gimbal.
2017-2-13
Use props
jlschmugge
lvl.1
Flight distance : 130896 ft
United States

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2017-2-13 02:53
If a blast of wind blew a prop off, that was one heck of a blast,...or, you didn't install the prop correctly. I suspect the latter! If the wind was blowing that strong, its hard for me to imagine why you would send $800 flying in the wind? Why are you flying with the firmware still uploaded on the SD card? After you have installed the lastest firmware on the aircraft and confirmed that the installion was sussessful, the SD card needs to be formatted and placed back into the gimbal.

Yes, mistakes were made.  I generally spin the blades on, then give a snug, I think the threads were just a little off where I thought it was snug.  When I got it back from repair the very first time I put the blades on that's what happened, so I'm guessing the same during the crash.  I could have just forgotten to snug it as well.

It was borderline windy from past experience. I was out in an open field in a known gusty area.  I was a little too bold and had too much confidence in the drone. I drove miles out to a place to collect data and didn't want to take a week to return.  Of course that turned into a three-week repair.  Yes it was a heck of a blast.  Sounded like my drone was punched.  Couldn't find the blade; it blew away.

I've never had trouble with the firmware being on the card once updated.  I could change that habit.  Why keep it on the card if it doesn't need to be there.

I've become much more fastidious now on my prelaunch.
2017-4-21
Use props
RicardoGray
Captain
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

jlschmugge Posted at 2017-4-21 00:13
Yes, mistakes were made.  I generally spin the blades on, then give a snug, I think the threads were just a little off where I thought it was snug.  When I got it back from repair the very first time I put the blades on that's what happened, so I'm guessing the same during the crash.  I could have just forgotten to snug it as well.

It was borderline windy from past experience. I was out in an open field in a known gusty area.  I was a little too bold and had too much confidence in the drone. I drove miles out to a place to collect data and didn't want to take a week to return.  Of course that turned into a three-week repair.  Yes it was a heck of a blast.  Sounded like my drone was punched.  Couldn't find the blade; it blew away.

MJLSTUDIOS is correct in that you don't need to keep the .bin file on the card after a successful upgrade. I wonder if something might be knocked loose inside the shell, namely a ribbon cable or connector. Sounds like the phantom is checking the firmware since it is on the card, and maybe it can't read the data correctly. It will be interesting to see if your sd-card will record images or video. Does you app recognize the card? You might be right as far as not upgrading in the future if something has jarred loose, but if it flies ok, no worries. I don't look for any more releases for the phantom 3 series....just my opinion with these being discontinued and the other models being released. If you bird flies ok and if in fact it the card records you pictures ok I wouldn't worry about it.
2017-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules