The Perfect Place to Fly!
969 14 2017-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans417abfbd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 434593 ft
Thailand

My Phantom 4 hasn't seen the light of day since I had my batteries confiscated from my Hand luggage in Dubai airport. Anyhow after replacing the batteries I decided to get it airborne again. I told my Thai girlfriend and she suggested that she had the good place. So off we went by unfortunately she had taken me to a helicopter landing pad!
I thanked her but explained that this was a very bad idea.  She looked at me quizzicality and said "no this perfect darling". So after a bit more discussion we headed off again. So out into the country only to arrive at a private airstrip! So once again I tried to explain this was a bad idea. She looked at me in an extremely puzzled way and said "no darling this perfect, no helicopter only aeroplane". Needless to say I called it a day.
2017-2-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Welcome to the forum.

I think your lady friend needs to be explained the rules and regulation of the RC drone world, before she gets both of you in deep trouble.

Sorry to read about your confiscated flight packs. That is a great loss. Yet you seem so up, aside from that misfortunate event.

Just wanted to say hello, and looking forward to your eventual videos and pics.
You could probably have taken off from the heli pad if it's vacant, as you wouldn't be causing any danger to actual aircraft.

I was already given permission, from the security, at a local hostpital, to fly up from their helicopter pad, as they know well ahead, if injured patients are being heli' air ambulance, transported in...

Enjoy your drone, and time well spent, while in the forum... ;-)

RedHotPoker

2017-2-13
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

I thought carry-on baggage was how we were to transport the batteries on a plane, so they wouldn't be in checked baggage.
Did they take away everyone's cell phones and laptops also?
2017-2-13
Use props
fans417abfbd
lvl.4
Thailand

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-13 06:38
Welcome to the forum.

I think your lady friend needs to be explained the rules and regulation of the RC drone world, before she gets both of you in deep trouble.

Hi.
Thanks for the welcome.
Sometimes I can try explain until I'm blue in the face but It's a language barrier problem and also the Thai way of thinking I believe. They don't seem to view danger in the same way as westerners. When their god tells them it's their time to go then then that's their time if you get my drift?  An hour on the roads out here will demonstrate that quite well :-)
As for the helipad I thought better safe than sorry as their was nobody around to ask.

2017-2-13
Use props
fans417abfbd
lvl.4
Thailand

WilliamM Posted at 2017-2-13 08:35
I thought carry-on baggage was how we were to transport the batteries on a plane, so they wouldn't be in checked baggage.
Did they take away everyone's cell phones and laptops also?

Hi
I tried to post the link to the thread but have been unable to do it. If you do a search for "Dubai Batteries Heads up" I'm sure you'll find it
Believe me I didn't give up my batteries easily. I was in security for 2 hours with armed guards and police. I was on the verge of missing my connecting flight and the security people were starting to get quite fed up of me. So really I had little choice other than physically taking the batteries back. That would only have lead to one thing and I personally don't find the prospect of time in a Dubai prison too tempting . I don't think they are too keen on freedom of speech and human rights :-) Also you are correct they let everyone else through with their power packs, camera batteries, laptop batteries etc. In fact they took no interest in the batteries in my other equipment.
2017-2-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fans417abfbd Posted at 2017-2-13 21:27
Hi.
Thanks for the welcome.
Sometimes I can try explain until I'm blue in the face but It's a language barrier problem and also the Thai way of thinking I believe. They don't seem to view danger in the same way as westerners. When their god tells them it's their time to go then then that's their time if you get my drift?  An hour on the roads out here will demonstrate that quite well :-)

Your English, is perfectly understood here. No barrier of communication that I can decipher.
'They' often say, that our life  story,  had been written before our birth. If that's true, then no matter what your decisions in life are, you have done the right thing. Being mature, and letting those flight packs go, was very likely your only wise option. You had no choice. So fighting it, like you said, wasn't worth the lost time, spending it in the crowbar hotel...  Inside, looking out. ;-)

I find it ironic, that they gave you such a difficult time over your couple of RC flight packs. Yet, guys like world RC helicopter King, Tareq Alsaadi who is from the UAE, are given a life long free pass to fly his 700 scale models, pretty much where ever he decides it's time to fly. I guess if your father is an uber rich oil baron, it helps a lot.
In Fact he even flies model helicopters with the the Dubai Police theme emblazoned across the canopy.
Have badge, will travel. ;-)

Here's an indoor RC arena flight, showing his talent.

I hope you can find many safe and memorable places to find comforted feelings of flying without fear or any threat of trouble. You've already earned that, you deserve some peace now.

Have yourself a great time, and only look forward. Never back, at the negative past...

RedHotPoker

2017-2-13
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

fans417abfbd Posted at 2017-2-13 21:40
Hi
I tried to post the link to the thread but have been unable to do it. If you do a search for "Dubai Batteries Heads up" I'm sure you'll find it
Believe me I didn't give up my batteries easily. I was in security for 2 hours with armed guards and police. I was on the verge of missing my connecting flight and the security people were starting to get quite fed up of me. So really I had little choice other than physically taking the batteries back. That would only have lead to one thing and I personally don't find the prospect of time in a Dubai prison too tempting . I don't think they are too keen on freedom of speech and human rights :-) Also you are correct they let everyone else through with their power packs, camera batteries, laptop batteries etc. In fact they took no interest in the batteries in my other equipment.

Mmm.. I must have been lucky flew last month from Australia to Dubai (Emirates), then from Dubai to Sao Paulo (Emirates again), no worries (It was all carry on luggage) they did check inside the phantom case to see if the batteries were discharged, which they all were, lucky, normally I travel with the batteries in storage mode. Emirates did say to me that the batteries have to be completely discharged.
They even checked my osmo batteries.

2017-2-13
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans417abfbd Posted at 2017-2-13 21:27
Hi.
Thanks for the welcome.

Aloha fans417,

But, you just got to love them.  They are trying!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-14
Use props
fans417abfbd
lvl.4
Thailand

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-13 22:37
Your English, is perfectly understood here. No barrier of communication that I can decipher.
'They' often say, that our life  story,  had been written before our birth. If that's true, then no matter what your decisions in life are, you have done the right thing. Being mature, and letting those flight packs go, was very likely your only wise option. You had no choice. So fighting it, like you said, wasn't worth the lost time, spending it in the crowbar hotel...  Inside, looking out. ;-)

Yes that just about sums up the hypocrisy of it all. You can wish me luck, I'm flying to Vietnam on Thursday and taking the the P4 . Will see how this one goes :-)
2017-2-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fans417abfbd Posted at 2017-2-14 04:07
Yes that just about sums up the hypocrisy of it all. You can wish me luck, I'm flying to Vietnam on Thursday and taking the the P4 . Will see how this one goes :-)

Ok, wishing you Great Luck in Vietnam. ;-)

Send me a pot bellied pig, will you? Hahaha

It will probably be much better for you there.

Have you flown at all in Dubai?

Here's your link.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-74417-1-1.html

RedHotPoker

2017-2-14
Use props
fans417abfbd
lvl.4
Thailand

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-14 08:23
Ok, wishing you Great Luck in Vietnam. ;-)

Send me a pot bellied pig, will you? Hahaha

Thanks for posting the link. No I haven't flown in Dubai. I was just passing through the airport on a transfer from England to Thailand when I was stopped. I dare'nt even think about the prospects of sending raw meat :-))))
2017-2-14
Use props
fans417abfbd
lvl.4
Thailand

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-14 02:32
Aloha fans417,

Yeah I'm sure one of their buddies will appreciate my donation to their spare battery supply
2017-2-14
Use props
fans417abfbd
lvl.4
Thailand

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-14 02:32
Aloha fans417,

Yeah I'm sure one of their buddies will appreciate my donation to their spare battery supply ;-)
2017-2-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fans417abfbd Posted at 2017-2-14 10:08
Thanks for posting the link. No I haven't flown in Dubai. I was just passing through the airport on a transfer from England to Thailand when I was stopped. I dare'nt even think about the prospects of sending raw meat :-))))

Raw? No no!  I want it live, on the hoof. hahaha

Oink if you love pork. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-14
Use props
Swedrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I had no problems bringing in my drone batteries to Dubai. Now I just need to find a place to fly. To hot during daytime but thinking when the sun settles. Im i UAE until 25th of July
2017-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules