Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Pro, where to begin?
2512 39 2017-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Protomite
lvl.1

United States

I've flown the Dji FlameWheel F550 & F450 for years and it took me a little while to get in the right frame of mind to catch on. But they all got put together, programmed, & flown. The toughest part was programming the Futaba T10CHG radio. Now years later I'm faced with the Mavic Pro...wow...It's a little over whelming. The first big question that I have is: I'm going to use a Galxey S6 on my controller. I know that I can do the wifi portion with limited distance but this phone has no connection to a network to use the phone portion. I can use the brouser and  connect to the internet and I do have Dji go4 installed and updated. Will I be able to long distance fly with my phone not being connected to a network?
Maybe there is an expert in the Mavic field that would be willing to instruct me via email to setup this thing...I'm so confused. None of this is setup yet because I just don't know where to start, there are so many different things to do....If there is a willing Mavic Pro person out there with patients beyond that of a normal person. Maybe I could give you my email address. I've watched all the videos but I'm still quite lost. Like Pink Floyd once said: Is There Anybody Out There?
2017-2-13
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

What is your location?  Perhaps you should/could get someone in-person.  That sounds like the most prudent advice.
2017-2-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

"Will I be able to long distance fly with my phone not being connected to a network?"

So you have a phone that has internet service but no voice service? I've not tried it myself but that should work fine; lots of us use tablets that have neither. As for any other questions you may have, probably the best approach is to search the forums for an answer first and then post a question (as you did here) if you don't find one.
2017-2-13
Use props
Protomite
lvl.1

United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-2-13 09:20
What is your location?  Perhaps you should/could get someone in-person.  That sounds like the most prudent advice.

Waverly, Ohio...But I believe it could be done via email. As long as the person knows the Mavic & Galxey S6.
2017-2-13
Use props
freddyms
lvl.3
United States

I have flown mine where I have not had cell service on my phone. worked fine. if that is what you are wondering
2017-2-13
Use props
Protomite
lvl.1

United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-13 09:23
"Will I be able to long distance fly with my phone not being connected to a network?"

So you have a phone that has internet service but no voice service? I've not tried it myself but that should work fine. As for any other questions you may have, probably the best approach is to search the forums for an answer first and then post a question (as you did here) if you don't find one.

I guess...I have internet via WiFi but the chip has not been activated to a service provider like Sprint, ATT, etc...for phone calls, voice mail and stuff like that
2017-2-13
Use props
Protomite
lvl.1

United States

freddyms Posted at 2017-2-13 09:26
I have flown mine where I have not had cell service on my phone. worked fine. if that is what you are wondering

Yes, I guess that would basicly be the same thing.
2017-2-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Even the internet service isn't strictly necessary, though having it does enable some useful functionality, the most important of which is probably the ability to display maps that show you where you and the aircraft are located. For the most part, though, the mobile device you use just serves as a display that allows you to see what the aircraft's camera sees, to view flight and aircraft information, and to change settings.
2017-2-13
Use props
Protomite
lvl.1

United States

Next

Ok, I guess that answers the phone question. Now all batteries are charged, Dji go 4 is loaded & up dated on the Galxey S6, Dji Assistant 2 is loaded on my computer. I did manage to scan the square thing on the end of the Mavic arm into my Galxey S6. I plugged the S6 into the controller. Not sure which should be turn on first but I went with the S6 first then the controller. Tried it both wats and it didn't seem to matter. Turned on the go4 app and set it to Mavic. Then I tried to calabrate the controller joysticks. The first time it did not outline the squares. Next time it did outline the squares but it timed out. The third time when it was said and done the controller said: calabration failed and that's the way it's been doing. So far calabration has not worked. Not even sure if that's what I should be doing at this point or if I should be doing some thing else first.
2017-2-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Protomite Posted at 2017-2-13 09:48
Ok, I guess that answers the phone question. Now all batteries are charged, Dji go 4 is loaded & up dated on the Galxey S6, Dji Assistant 2 is loaded on my computer. I did manage to scan the square thing on the end of the Mavic arm into my Galxey S6. I plugged the S6 into the controller. Not sure which should be turn on first but I went with the S6 first then the controller. Tried it both wats and it didn't seem to matter. Turned on the go4 app and set it to Mavic. Then I tried to calabrate the controller joysticks. The first time it did not outline the squares. Next time it did outline the squares but it timed out. The third time when it was said and done the controller said: calabration failed and that's the way it's been doing. So far calabration has not worked.

Well, there are at least a couple of different schools of thought in this area, but I generally fall into the don't-calibrate-unless-you're-told-to camp. In fact, the controller is the one calibration I've yet to perform, so I'd recommend that you not do it.

Have you been through the user's manual? If not, I'd strongly recommend reading it. It's not a terribly long read, especially considering what's a stake once you start flying.

I'd also urge you to consider DJI's Care Refresh for your Mavic -- and no, I don't work for DJI or get a commission for recommending it or anything. Basically, if you crash your Mavic and physically recover it you can get a repair or replacement for far less money than it would otherwise cost. But you need to sign up within 48 hours of registering the drone or the process of getting it becomes a little more complicated.
Edit: As I was just reminded by another thread, you also need to make sure you register with the FAA.

2017-2-13
Use props
Protomite
lvl.1

United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-13 09:55
Well, there are at least a couple of different schools of thought in this area, but I generally fall into the don't-calibrate-unless-you're-told-to camp. In fact, the controller is the one calibration I've yet to perform, so I'd recommend that you not do it.

Have you been through the user's manual? If not, I'd strongly recommend reading it. It's not a terribly long read, especially considering what's a stake once you start flying.

Ok, thanks.
2017-2-13
Use props
mikes1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1740699 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey Protomite,
You really don't need cell service or internet connection to fly any of the DJI drones including the big ones. Matter of fact you can fly the Mavic using the controller and without any phone or tablet connected. Now I wouldn't suggest doing that because you lose some ability to see and monitor the condition of your aircraft and the warnings you get on a nice phone or tablet. The controller does have a lot of info to help you fly but it's just a little harder to see. Inspire or Matrice type drones have no info on their controllers so you are taking a big risk flying with no phone or tablet. What the cell service or internet connection will give you is updated real time maps to help navigate and orient you to the Mavics position. This is very important if you have flown out of sight and don’t know which way the aircraft is heading. Of course you could cache those maps on the phone and not require internet or cell service to use them. You are wanting to fly using your DJI Mavic controller so you will be able to fly max distance with no problem. If you wanted to fly the Mavic using only Wifi you would still not need cell or internet service to do that but you would have very short range becaue your Mavic is connecting directly to your phone. Hope this helps.    

2017-2-13
Use props
SupraLB
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1594 ft
United States

You will learn more in 20 minutes of testing than you will  in 10 hours of watching videos.    Good you already have that out of the way.   Now, just find a vacant area and play around at a very low altitude.  You will start to think of questions in  your first flight but just an easy return to home button for it to land all by itself.     

For me, I went to some vacant baseball fields when nobody was around just zoomed around a bit.  
2017-2-13
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

I think you may have some misunderstanding or confusion about WIFI and WIFI-mode control.

1. You don't need to be connected to the internet, either through WIFI or wireless (cell data), to fly using the Remote Control unit.  
2. If you want to fly using WIFI mode, you are NOT connected with the Mavic either to or through the internet.  It's a direct connetion from your phone to the Mavic using WIFI frequencies and protocols.  Think of the Mavic as your local WIFI router - except that it's a dead end connection.  That's why the range is short.  In WIFI mode you don't use the Remote Control.  You also can't be connected to the internet while flying in WIFI mode.
2017-2-13
Use props
Protomite
lvl.1

United States

mikes1 Posted at 2017-2-13 11:48
Hey Protomite,
You really don't need cell service or internet connection to fly any of the DJI drones including the big ones. Matter of fact you can fly the Mavic using the controller and without any phone or tablet connected. Now I wouldn't suggest doing that because you lose some ability to see and monitor the condition of your aircraft and the warnings you get on a nice phone or tablet. The controller does have a lot of info to help you fly but it's just a little harder to see. Inspire or Matrice type drones have no info on their controllers so you are taking a big risk flying with no phone or tablet. What the cell service or internet connection will give you is updated real time maps to help navigate and orient you to the Mavics position. This is very important if you have flown out of sight and don’t know which way the aircraft is heading. Of course you could cache those maps on the phone and not require internet or cell service to use them. You are wanting to fly using your DJI Mavic controller so you will be able to fly max distance with no problem. If you wanted to fly the Mavic using only Wifi you would still not need cell or internet service to do that but you would have very short range becaue your Mavic is connecting directly to your phone. Hope this helps.

Yea, a little...the phone question is answered. Now if I knew all or any settings on the phone and then the controller that needed to be set to a particular position. What about that set to China map setting. Where is it supposed to be set?
2017-2-13
Use props
Protomite
lvl.1

United States

SupraLB Posted at 2017-2-13 12:10
You will learn more in 20 minutes of testing than you will  in 10 hours of watching videos.    Good you already have that out of the way.   Now, just find a vacant area and play around at a very low altitude.  You will start to think of questions in  your first flight but just an easy return to home button for it to land all by itself.     

For me, I went to some vacant baseball fields when nobody was around just zoomed around a bit.

There is a lot to be done before a first flight. I'm not rich and I gave my sole for this Mavic. I want to know that everything is set correctly before the three seconds go's by that it would take to destroy it.
2017-2-13
Use props
Protomite
lvl.1

United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-2-13 12:21
I think you may have some misunderstanding or confusion about WIFI and WIFI-mode control.

1. You don't need to be connected to the internet, either through WIFI or wireless (cell data), to fly using the Remote Control unit.  

Yes, thank you. I suspected that from the beginning and with the other answers from you fine folks...I figured it was but thank you.
2017-2-13
Use props
bunny too
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13442 ft
United States

Protomite Posted at 2017-2-13 13:57
Yes, thank you. I suspected that from the beginning and with the other answers from you fine folks...I figured it was but thank you.

Keep low to the ground out doors for the first couple flights; I use a tablet instead of a phone and I set mine to 'airplane' mode so my device is not bothered. I flew 3-10 meters up and no more than 20 meters away my first couple flights and I primarily flew by line of sight and did not reference the tablet much more than to check vitals. It can be scary as heck at first man. If you find the video on your phone is lagging you may wish to enable developer mode and USB debugging, it tends to help. Be confident and keep posting.
Regards,
-d.
2017-2-13
Use props
Protomite
lvl.1

United States

I can't set the RTH height or the max height on my Galxey S6. I can enter it but it sets itself back to 0. Any ideas?
2017-2-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Protomite Posted at 2017-2-13 16:58
I can't set the RTH height or the max height on my Galxey S6. I can enter it but it sets itself back to 0. Any ideas?

The aircraft has to be powered on and your remote connected to it for some of the settings to be changed -- including the ones you mentioned.
2017-2-13
Use props
Protomite
lvl.1

United States

And how about that setting for the China main land...should it be on or off?...it came set to on.
2017-2-13
Use props
Protomite
lvl.1

United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-13 17:01
The aircraft has to be powered on and your remote connected to it for some of the settings to be changed -- including the ones you mentioned.

Thank you, I thought so but needed to be sure. Not quite there yet but now I know. Thanks
2017-2-13
Use props
Protomite
lvl.1

United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-13 17:01

And how about that setting for the China main land...should it be on or off?...it came set to on.
2017-2-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Protomite Posted at 2017-2-13 17:03

The one that says "For China Mainland"? Turn it off -- unless you're flying in China.
2017-2-13
Use props
Protomite
lvl.1

United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-13 17:08
The one that says "For China Mainland"? Turn it off -- unless you're flying in China.

I thought so but being it came set to on, I wasn't sure. Makes sense...made in China...programmed for China. Thanks, I'll try to finish the manual tomorrow or tonight but I learn best the hard way. Then reading the manual is easier to understand.
2017-2-13
Use props
WYHSniper1007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1003822 ft
  • >>>
United States

try to use the simulator in the app
2017-2-13
Use props
MacIak
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Netherlands

Protomite Posted at 2017-2-13 17:19
I thought so but being it came set to on, I wasn't sure. Makes sense...made in China...programmed for China. Thanks, I'll try to finish the manual tomorrow or tonight but I learn best the hard way. Then reading the manual is easier to understand.

Please don't try the hard way first. You might hurt yourself or total the mavic. DJI is not too forgiving when it comes to that.
You do not need a phone AT ALL to fly the mavic nearby. The phone you connect to the remote just makes more options available and gives you  eyes in the sky.

2017-2-14
Use props
Protomite
lvl.1

United States

MacIak Posted at 2017-2-14 14:09
Please don't try the hard way first. You might hurt yourself or total the mavic. DJI is not too forgiving when it comes to that.
You do not need a phone AT ALL to fly the mavic nearby. The phone you connect to the remote just makes more options available and gives you  eyes in the sky.

I've flown Dji since they were available to the public, just not the Mavic. I call the hard way, asking questions about my concerns until I'm comfortable that I know what I need to know. I learn and understand first by asking what I want to know, then that allows me to understand the manual even better. This Mavic will not move until then. So with the help of the fine folks here, I'll get it the way I need it...the hard way because that's what works best for me. I call it the hard way because it's the long way. I gave my sole to get this thing and I'll take no chances. Thanks for the info.
2017-2-14
Use props
Protomite
lvl.1

United States

Ok I believe I'm on the down hill side. Manual is read, everything is updated, tried the sim, and I think I have a good understanding of the Mavic. I do have a few questions. 1. Pal or NTSC ?  2. How do I enable GPS on a Galaxy S6 or do I just say ok when/if it asks? I'll ask more later I'm sure. Thanks folks...
2017-2-15
Use props
Protomite
lvl.1

United States

Protomite Posted at 2017-2-15 18:22
Ok I believe I'm on the down hill side. Manual is read, everything is updated, tried the sim, and I think I have a good understanding of the Mavic. I do have a few questions. 1. Pal or NTSC ?  2. How do I enable GPS on a Galaxy S6 or do I just say ok when/if it asks? I'll ask more later I'm sure. Thanks folks...

Ok I got the GPS answer on my own so PAL or NTSC ?
2017-2-15
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Protomite Posted at 2017-2-15 18:28

Since you're in the U.S. you should choose NTSC.
2017-2-15
Use props
Protomite
lvl.1

United States

Protomite Posted at 2017-2-15 18:28

Wow I got that one on my own too...NTSC. Great I'll write down any other questions I come up with for later. Got some really good weather coming up in a few days. I'll try for my Maiden Mavic Voyage then if I can resist temptation. I'll let you know how it go's.
2017-2-15
Use props
MacIak
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Netherlands

Protomite Posted at 2017-2-15 18:36
Wow I got that one on my own too...NTSC. Great I'll write down any other questions I come up with for later. Got some really good weather coming up in a few days. I'll try for my Maiden Mavic Voyage then if I can resist temptation. I'll let you know how it go's.

Looking forward! Keep us informed!
2017-2-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Protomite Posted at 2017-2-15 18:22

Congratulations on the Mavic, I too started with all the FlameWheels. DJI technology from then to now is absolutely incredible.
Use NTSC, ansd when you start the app for the first time allow all the permissions.
Glad you read the manual, just by reading that will make you a better pilot.
Enjoy it, fly safe and have fun.
2017-2-16
Use props
Protomite
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-16 09:49
Congratulations on the Mavic, I too started with all the FlameWheels. DJI technology from then to now is absolutely incredible.
Use NTSC, ansd when you start the app for the first time allow all the permissions.
Glad you read the manual, just by reading that will make you a better pilot.

I don't know if their still around but I started out with the DraganFlyer? Then Dji came along with a better price and quad so I ran like a rabbit to Dji and never looked back. Germany have a good open source quad back then too. Wow that feels like a long time ago. Anyway looks like the maiden voyage is on a delay but I'll keep ya'all in the loop.
2017-2-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Protomite Posted at 2017-2-20 05:07
I don't know if their still around but I started out with the DraganFlyer? Then Dji came along with a better price and quad so I ran like a rabbit to Dji and never looked back. Germany have a good open source quad back then too. Wow that feels like a long time ago. Anyway looks like the maiden voyage is on a delay but I'll keep ya'all in the loop.

Sounds good, let us know how it goes.
2017-2-20
Use props
Protomite
lvl.1

United States

Wanted to see what I'd forget to do. Short & sweet...all settings set, didn't get over 200' hi or away. It only lasted 5 minutes and all seemed to work as it should. Next time it will be the long flight. I'll check RTH, RTH Height, tap n fly, distance, etc. I'll attach a 10 hour strobe light just in case. looks like a great time ahead shooting video on hikes. Thanks all for your patients, suggestions, and answers...Let the Good Time's Fly.
2017-2-21
Use props
Protomite
lvl.1

United States

Can anyone tell me why my Boscam GS920 2.4G 5.8G Wireless FPV AIO Goggles don't seem to work with the Mavic?
2017-2-22
Use props
fans7f3fb20c
lvl.4
Flight distance : 15295 ft
Belgium

Protomite Posted at 2017-2-22 07:32
Can anyone tell me why my Boscam GS920 2.4G 5.8G Wireless FPV AIO Goggles don't seem to work with the Mavic?

How are you connecting them to the Mavic?  Looking at the spec sheet, they don't look like they're compatible - the only FPV solution I'm aware of is to use an HDMI out from the mobile device connected to the controller:

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 4417&fromuid=599721
2017-2-22
Use props
Protomite
lvl.1

United States

fans7f3fb20c Posted at 2017-2-22 12:18
How are you connecting them to the Mavic?  Looking at the spec sheet, they don't look like they're compatible - the only FPV solution I'm aware of is to use an HDMI out from the mobile device connected to the controller:

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 4417&fromuid=599721

I just figured that my FPV headset is 2.4ghz & 8ghz and that would cover it all. There is so much glare on my monitor screen a headset would be much better. I guess I'll buy myself a couple yards of fabric and drape it over my head and radio... sort of like I'm using a vaporizer. I thought about a box but there's enough in my hands and the little screen hoods sorta suck. Any ideas other than stay in the shade? Anyone make a hood hat combo?
2017-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules