question about losing signal with P4
863 4 2017-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ACon
lvl.1
United States

Hi All,

I tried to search for an answer first, but could not find one.  I have a P4 paired with an NVIDIA K1 Shield.  I was using both DJI GO 4 and the basic DJI GO, eventually deleting GO4 because I thought the basic app was working better.  But I could always be wrong.

Anyway, a month ago I was using the drone on a beach at a local lake.  I was able to maintain signal and video for 3500 feet distance, which was the edge of the lake, and 300 feet altitude.  Clear line of sight the entire distance (thought I could not visually see the drone).  The temp was about 50 degrees that day.

The past 2 days I have been flying from my back yard, which has a lot of trees.  With both versions of the DJI GO app, I lost signal (video feed) at around 2000 feet distance, perhaps as short as 1500 feet, and at an elevation of 200 and 300 feet.  Temp was 20 degrees F both days.  After waiting to regain signal for 10 seconds and having no success, I hit the RTH button and it brough the drone back.  So I think I still had some communication, but I just lose the video signal.

So, is it normal to lose signal at less than 2000 feet when surrounded by trees (no leaves this time of year).  Or could it be other variables such as temp, version of the DJI GO app or my tablet?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex
2017-2-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Alex, the most important thing to know is that 'loss of signal' is misunderstood. It can refer to losing the return video feed, but not control of the aircraft. And that was true in your case. Temperature has no bearing on the issue, nor does the type of phone or tablet, nor the version of Go, but local interference can, because loss of signal is not necessaril a 'loss' but can also mean there is interference in the area. It can be quite normal to get a loss of signal at 2000 feet, it has a lot to do with the area you are flying in.

When you get the loss of signal, trying backing up the aircraft or flying it back towards you and you will most likely regain the video feed. It is not necessary to hit RTH in those circumstances.

2017-2-13
Use props
ACon
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-13 13:38
Alex, the most important thing to know is that 'loss of signal' is misunderstood. It can refer to losing the return video feed, but not control of the aircraft. And that was true in your case. Temperature has no bearing on the issue, nor does the type of phone or tablet, nor the version of Go, but local interference can, because loss of signal is not necessaril a 'loss' but can also mean there is interference in the area. It can be quite normal to get a loss of signal at 2000 feet, it has a lot to do with the area you are flying in.

When you get the loss of signal, trying backing up the aircraft or flying it back towards you and you will most likely regain the video feed. It is not necessary to hit RTH in those circumstances.

Geebax - thank you!  Very helpful.  And yes, that does make sense that I had only lost return video and not communication with the craft.  You mentioned something....could I be getting interference with the wireless phones in the house, or my wifi system in the house?  I was only 15 ft from the back of my house when this issue occurred.  the previous times I flew the drone I was pretty much had zero chance of electronic interference.

Alex
2017-2-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

ACon Posted at 2017-2-14 10:21
Geebax - thank you!  Very helpful.  And yes, that does make sense that I had only lost return video and not communication with the craft.  You mentioned something....could I be getting interference with the wireless phones in the house, or my wifi system in the house?  I was only 15 ft from the back of my house when this issue occurred.  the previous times I flew the drone I was pretty much had zero chance of electronic interference.

Alex

Yes, it is very likely those things were causing interference. Not only those, but a hundred other small devices that tranmit on the same grequency band.
2017-2-14
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Wireless traffic is too high in your area
2017-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now