Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P4P Exposure Settings Issue
1693 11 2017-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ToledoAerial
lvl.3
Flight distance : 432713 ft
  • >>>
United States

Im having an issue with expsorure settings and wondered if anyone else was experiancing this. When I set corret exposure for video, then switch to photo & vise versa the ISO, Shutter, and F-Stop will remain the same however the E.V. changes and the shot looks blown out.

I dont seem to remember this on the Phantom 3 line and it doesnt to this on our Inspire 1 & 2 as well.

Any ideas?
2017-2-13
Use props
CyFA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1372369 ft
  • >>>
Cyprus

It seems that this happens on the first photos of each flight even in Auto!

Over exposed in auto

Over exposed in auto
2017-2-13
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thanks for your feedback, I'll transfer that to our engineers to check how to optimize it.
Please post a screenshot for the basic information showing on "About" page through DJI GO APP, thank you so much.
2017-2-14
Use props
ROBERTO SMERA
First Officer
Flight distance : 42619744 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Since two days ago my camera started to behave like this. I always take my pictures in Aperture Priority and ISO fixed in 100. All photos are completely overexposed and impossible to recover in ACR. Also noticed that even the shutter speed in 1/200th of a second, the pictures shows some kind of strange blur. Any help or hint would be greatly appreciated.

I just confirmed the issue is real. I have a second unit and did a test with the two cameras pointed at the same target and with the same exposure values in A (aperture priority) mode. The bad phantom camera always overexpose the pictures by +1.95 to +2.00 stops and all the highlights become badly washed out and unrecoverable in Photoshop. Already tried to format the SD card and reset the camera settings to no avail.

082851lo9s0lofz553tq9l.jpg
082708bnjn19dan99uzwa4.png
IMG_4553.PNG
2017-2-14
Use props
piowoc73
lvl.4
United States

I complained about it just few days ago, so I am totally with you on that. Here is the answer I got from DJI: "Actually,  the photo and the video are sharing the same settings under the two options in the picture below.  No matter  you switch it from photo to video or not, those settings won't be changed by itself unless you change it manually." So, they simply don't recognize it as a problem, while in fact it is a BIG issue if you are using manual setting, like I always do.
2017-2-14
Use props
PliciPleosc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 100226 ft
Romania

It happens to my drone too.
2017-2-14
Use props
ROBERTO SMERA
First Officer
  • >>>
Brazil

I don't know how severe is your problem compared to mine. What I mean is I can't get my cameras to work anymore as it should when I bought my two Phantom 4 Pro drones. I always get badly overexposed images no matter what mode I use. Even in manual mode carefully adjusting aperture, shutter speed, ISO and exposure compensation all of my pictures turned washed out (+2 or more). Funny thing is the pictures are perfectly presented on my iPad mini 4 screen during the captures and never indicate that is something going wrong. I use my two Phantom 4 PRO exclusively to take pictures and never film anything, in fact since I purchase them I did not record a single minute on my micro SD Cards. One thing I noticed and it is very weird, is that in AEB (bracketing mode) and in D-log mode, one of the 3 pictures in sequence is perfectly exposed and the other 2 badly washed out (see picture attached). I already tried to downgrade the firmwares, reset the drones to factory default, reset the camera settings and even used Litchi, to no avail. Even so, I am not 100% convinced that the cameras are defective.

16442920_1240751629294165_1410188384_o.png
2017-2-14
Use props
ROBERTO SMERA
First Officer
  • >>>
Brazil

Just made a test with the first defective camera. Photo nr. 1 was taken in A (aperture priority mode) and -0.7 to adjust exposure and avoid blown highlights. Nedless to say the file is completely blown and unrecoverable in Adobe Photoshop CC. Photo nr. 2 is a screen capture directly from QuickTime showing that the video frame (4k, 30 fps) is perfectly exposed with right photometry. The preliminary conclusion is that the camera is working in video mode but not in picture mode. I even tried to alternate from video to photo mode and the issue remains.

Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 17.36.03 copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 17.37.11 copy.jpg
2017-2-14
Use props
Upwind
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1158586 ft
United States

Not sure this helps but I'm having the opposite problem.  I'm having severely underexposed images.   It seems to be 2-3 stops underexposed.  Have the histogram on and on it dead center when I take the photo.  When I get them back into LR, they're all way underexposed.  I can correct to some extent but the shadows start artifacting.
2017-2-27
Use props
Paul H
lvl.1
Australia

I've just found this problem with my P4P as well, about two weeks ago it took photo's ok and now suddenly every photograph is over exposed. I did two survey shoots and every single picture is useless.  Turning off the mechanical shutter seems to fix the photo problem (although I have yet to fully test that) but what will that do for video recording?
2017-4-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Paul H Posted at 2017-4-29 19:28
I've just found this problem with my P4P as well, about two weeks ago it took photo's ok and now suddenly every photograph is over exposed. I did two survey shoots and every single picture is useless.  Turning off the mechanical shutter seems to fix the photo problem (although I have yet to fully test that) but what will that do for video recording?

The mechanical shutter is not used in video recording.
2017-4-29
Use props
Stephan624
lvl.1
Flight distance : 692 ft
Colombia

Someone can fix this problem?
2019-2-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules