2789 37 2017-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gateway
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1873806 ft
  • >>>
United States

Curious how many people are hand launching and catching with the Mavic.  I do this with all my birds from I1 to P4 and some of the locations im going to be hiking, mountain biking, snowboarding their is really no area to properly launch from the ground or land.

What settings do you turn off if you do this?
2017-2-14
Use props
Serc.
lvl.2
Germany

Id like to know how you Hand Launch your Phantoms can Go please Go in Detail about that?

I handcatch Mine but i never handlaunched it.
If i cant Launch from the ground i put it on my square drone backpack and let it Start from there
2017-2-14
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

I never hand launch.  I want it to sit there & let everything warm-up/initialize.  Doesn't make sense to be holding a gyro trying to warm-up.

I hand CATCH the Mavic nearly every time.  I say catch because I don't GRAB it out of the air like most people seem to think is ok to do.  
2017-2-14
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Generally no hand launches; when the terrain makes it necessary I use one of those foldable landing pads. The only exception is when I (occasionally) find myself in a (rebar-heavy) concrete jungle that my compass doesn't like: then I'll hand launch. And personally haven't yet found a reason to hand catch, but I understand that some people (e.g., in boats) have a reason to or just prefer it.
2017-2-14
Use props
Gateway
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Serc. Posted at 2017-2-14 11:28
Id like to know how you Hand Launch your Phantoms can Go please Go in Detail about that?

I handcatch Mine but i never handlaunched it.

The P4, I usually have someone with me that holds both legs.  Then I take off.  I have not hand launched by my self yet
2017-2-14
Use props
Gateway
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Just found this, which is a 2017 video..
2017-2-14
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-14 11:35
Generally no hand launches; when the terrain makes it necessary I use one of those foldable landing pads. The only exception is when I (occasionally) find myself in a (rebar-heavy) concrete jungle that my compass doesn't like: then I'll hand launch. And personally haven't yet found a reason to hand catch, but I understand that some people (e.g., in boats) have a reason to or just prefer it.

I did that yesterday.  Even the compass values were pretty darn high, lol.  So I knew I'd have to pop it up quick...  I did the auto-takeoff, it hovered 4 feet about that rebar, compass values all back to single digits.

I takeoff from a stationary surface.
2017-2-14
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

My Mavic loves playing games with me when I hand catch, the VPS keeps tying to avoid me but it's great fun!
2017-2-14
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

Gateway Posted at 2017-2-14 11:49
Just found this, which is a 2017 video.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbzLn-dWde0

Good video and good tips!
2017-2-14
Use props
tellus1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105551 ft
Australia

Haven't built the courage yet to hand launch / catch
2017-2-14
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

I was hesitant to hand launch and catch but since I fly from mountain locations where this is the only option, I have now done this many times with no issue. I do not have time to fiddle with settings like disabling OA or VPS. I just catch the Mavic from the front (camera side). It's easy to grab a good firm hold there with no chance of slipping and you can ovoid the bottom  sensors.  If it does try to lift off, that's not a problem either, it's easy to hang on. There are a lot of videos on youtube showing this technique and it works great.
2017-2-14
Use props
Carmelamericano
New

United States

Good info; this will be the only way I can get San Juan shots from the boat.
2017-2-14
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Safety first...

For MP:
Any wind gust and adios little fingers. If I can't safely take off or land... I won't fly.

For P4 series:

I won't do hand take off but I'll do hand catching because you have more clearance to catch the legs of the P4 without endangering your fingers..

2017-2-14
Use props
fans2b75c050
lvl.2

United States

I got extended landing gear. I don't hand catch. Seems not to be an issue with some , but I could see it being an issue for some others. Sensors would have to be turned off or you would have to grab fast and throttle down at the same time.  Good luck.
2017-2-14
Use props
Serc.
lvl.2
Germany

dronist Posted at 2017-2-14 15:40
Safety first...

For MP:

Its Not Problem, Enrique Inglesias Handcatches a Inspirie Drone haha
2017-2-14
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Serc. Posted at 2017-2-14 16:46
Its Not Problem, Enrique Inglesias Handcatches a Inspirie Drone haha

almost ADIOS little fingers....
2017-2-14
Use props
Turkk71
lvl.2
United States

I have done it, like others have mentioned in the forest at this time of year near my place there is no good place to land.  I grab it from behind and after a quick struggle the little guy gave up and assume it was on the ground.  I clearly would prefer to land normally.  
2017-2-14
Use props
dnorm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 481778 ft
United States

hand catch only, grab it by the extended front landing arms with one hand...

bring it within arms reach, quickly let it solid establish hover, grab it with a firm grip with your dominant hand, and pull down the throttle.

this is how i have ended 95% of my lights, the MP just sits to low to the ground to land in most enviros, though i did just pick up the polar pro landing gear extenders...have not flown with them yet, so if those work well, i foresee landing more 'traditionally'.

with my p4pro, i exclusively hand catch it, the landing gear is super rigid and strong, have even seen feedback that it was built and tested for this.

dave

2017-2-14
Use props
FlashGJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 293379 ft
Canada

I almost strictly hand launch and hand catch. Too much snow right now and since I travel light, I don't carry any kind of pad. I find it super easy and I do not turn off anything. I have added a removable neck strap to the controller to make it easier to use with one hand while launching and landing.
2017-2-14
Use props
Ricky Wu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1360719 ft
Hong Kong

I do both hand launch and hand catch and i literally have never tried landing it on ground.

I find my fingers are IMPOSSIBLE to touch the props if u catch it from the belly (just like everyone else does)

Can anyone explain how it is even possible to cut your finger when doing hand catch?
2017-2-15
Use props
Ricky Wu
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Ricky Wu Posted at 2017-2-15 01:13
I do both hand launch and hand catch and i literally have never tried landing it on ground.

I find my fingers are IMPOSSIBLE to touch the props if u catch it from the belly (just like everyone else does)

P.S. i do not turn of VPS when i catch it
sometime i am able to block one of the ultra sonic sensors with my finger, so it wont raise
sometime i cant block it properly and it try to raise up but i dont let go, then the props stop 2 secs later anyway
2017-2-15
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Australia

Ricky Wu Posted at 2017-2-15 01:15
P.S. i do not turn of VPS when i catch it
sometime i am able to block one of the ultra sonic sensors with my finger, so it wont raise
sometime i cant block it properly and it try to raise up but i dont let go, then the props stop 2 secs later anyway

Wouldn't blocking one of the sensors make it think it's hitting something, and make it want to raise? I would expect the opposite behavior to what you're describing.
2017-2-15
Use props
Ricky Wu
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-2-15 01:41
Wouldn't blocking one of the sensors make it think it's hitting something, and make it want to raise? I would expect the opposite behavior to what you're describing.

if you finger is 2 cm under it, the drone will react.

however, what i mean is blocking it completely, ie, touching and covering completely one of the ultra sound sensors, by grabing the drone with you index finger and tumb while rest of the fingers bend underneath to block the sensor. This can disable the sensor and drone will not react.

I havent tried it for many times that i cannot guarantee the theory, so do it with caution if u want to try, which is holding it tight so the drone cant raise and escape from your hand.
2017-2-15
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

I am looking to get a P4 instead of the much smaller Mavic only because I need to hand catch it while drifting on my fishing boat.
Anybody tried hand catching a drone from a boat? What about taking off? I guess using the bow of the boat isn't going to be an issue for taking off. Thinking loud I guess I can land it on the deck as well. Anyone tried this before?
Thanks
2017-3-5
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Callatis Posted at 2017-3-5 11:49
I am looking to get a P4 instead of the much smaller Mavic only because I need to hand catch it while drifting on my fishing boat.
Anybody tried hand catching a drone from a boat? What about taking off? I guess using the bow of the boat isn't going to be an issue for taking off. Thinking loud I guess I can land it on the deck as well. Anyone tried this before?
Thanks

Bigger is not always a better choice, tips from this video - don't come in nose first on a gusty day

2017-3-5
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Callatis Posted at 2017-3-5 11:49
Thanks

Taking off and landing from a boat is a challenge, especially on a sailboat or on rough seas. I have lost one Phantom 3 because of this once. The boat moves a lot, and the drone tries to stabilize in space, so it is easy to crash into things like poles, lines or even people. Be extra careful and only do this in low wind, calm sea situations. Landing is even more difficult, because you need to hand-catch it and movements are pretty wild sometimes. Leave extra time (and battery) to perform a good and calm landing - maybe even in tripod mode!
2017-3-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-3-5 12:10
Bigger is not always a better choice, tips from this video - don't come in nose first on a gusty day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOAYTy44uIE

Crazy, pis*ing myself laughing, shouldn't really but no use crying over spilt milk..
2017-3-5
Use props
vmich
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1100079 ft
Canada

I hand launch and catch whenever I need to. These days, snow would simply not let me take-off and land normally from the ground. I tried several things, but what works best for me is to make sure the MP hovers steadily on my right hand side, 1 foot above my head. I set the automatic landing with two hands on the RC, then I hold the RC with my left hand only and raise my right hand in the air just underneath the quad. The MP starts going down and stops when it reaches my hand and feels what it thinks is the ground.
The other thing I do as often is just lowering the quad manually with my left hand on the RC, while my right hand is grabbing the quad. Usually there is a second or two where the MP tries to escape due to the sensors but it does not resist for long. You just have to stay full throttle down until props stop. The worst that can happen if you miss your shot and don't have a good grip is the quad lifting off by a couple of feet. You just have to start again with a firmer grip.
I find both techniques safe enough for this kind of conditions (snow, water, rocks on the ground), but I'd rather take-off and land from a flat and clean surface when I can.
2017-3-5
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

Thanks for your replies! I don't take my boat out if the wind is 20Km\h or higher and I would be at anchor when attempting to take off or land the drone. Prop guards might make sense in these conditions.
My question is : Which one will perform better for landing it on the boat? The P4 or the Mavic?  
2017-3-5
Use props
fans3114bf29
lvl.2
Flight distance : 621755 ft
Australia

I have hand launched and caught a few times - when there is no suitable landing site. No real issues apart form the Mavic struggling a little when I catch it. I point the Mavic away from me so it doesn't detect a forward obstacle - slip my hand under it and grab hold, then throttle down quickly.
2017-3-5
Use props
fans3114bf29
lvl.2
Flight distance : 621755 ft
Australia

I have hand launched and caught a couple of times - when there is no suitable site for auto takeoff. I turn the Mavic facing away from me so it doesn't detect any objects. Then put my hand up under it quickly and grab, then throttle down quickly. It struggles briefly, but then is ok. Launching is no problem. I set the controller on auto takeoff - hold the Mavic with other hand (facing away from me), and hit the take off button. Sometimes I have my wife hit the button. It just lifts out of my hand and stays there until I'm ready with the controls.
2017-3-5
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11134446 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have quite abit of experience hand launch/catching from a boat on the open seas with the Phantom series.  Always launch and catch from the stern/back of boat when possible.  It will always be the best place for more stable line when launching or catching.  Catching from the bow has more issues with wind gusts and stability.  Don't do it unless your on a calm body of water and like wind conditions.  Not learning to hand launch can potentially cost you a drone if a sudden gust of wind hits your drone as you start up props.  Another reason to avoid the bow.  Its always best to have someone to help you if you are underway or in extremely windy conditions. If you don't have help, try to learn how to slowly and steadily fly the drone directly at yourself and just above head height and grab it from below.  A lanyard is essential when launching or catching by yourself.
2017-3-5
Use props
JustViewerFun
lvl.3
Flight distance : 163934 ft
United States

I hand catch almost all the time now... especially when dogs are nearby , and I'm also hand launching a lot more now that I know the right trick.  

If you are sticking your fingers up or trying to grab the Mavic Pro during landing, then you're doing it wrong.  There is a safer, easier way.  I put together a video about this not too long ago...

For hand launching, I let my Mavic Pro rest in the palm of my hand just like I do for landing.  It's not quite as easy as hand catching, but with auto take-off, there is no need for a lanyard or anything.
2017-3-5
Use props
Asainz320
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

I do it all time. I have even launched while sitting inside the car... i can see why so many are concerned about getting cut by the props, but if done correctly  and carefully it shouldnt be a problem.
2017-3-5
Use props
msebasti
New
Flight distance : 15131 ft
Germany

i land the drone into my hand if the areal is too bad for landing on the ground. you can turn off the safety mechanism or you just catch the drone. toe motors will try to get up again for maybe 0.5 seconds but afterwards the motor turns off and you can take it normal
2017-3-5
Use props
msebasti
New
Flight distance : 15131 ft
Germany

i land the drone into my hand if the areal is too bad for landing on the ground. you can turn off the safety mechanism or you just catch the drone. toe motors will try to get up again for maybe 0.5 seconds but afterwards the motor turns off and you can take it normal
2017-3-5
Use props
LordoftheFlies
lvl.3

It's no biggie for me, but everyone is different.
2018-7-26
Use props
Koelkop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22814806 ft
South Africa

I almost always hand launch and catch.

For launching i simply hold it with one hand while resting the controller on my arm and sliding the takeoff button.

For catching i grab it just behind the camera with my thumb and forefinger on the detente and throttle back all the way, all sensors are still turned on.

I have never had issues with holding it in my hand while it is powering on and initializing
2018-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules