Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
WHY is hand catch so DANGEROUS? I don't understand
12Next >
7725 46 2017-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ricky Wu
Captain
Flight distance : 1360719 ft
Hong Kong

I do both hand launch and hand catch and i literally have never tried landing it on ground.

I find my fingers are IMPOSSIBLE to touch the props if u catch it from the belly (just like everyone else does)

Can anyone explain how it is even possible to cut your finger when doing hand catch?

P.S. i do not turn of VPS when i catch it
sometime i am able to block one of the ultra sonic sensors with my finger, so it wont raise
sometime i cant block it properly and it try to raise up but i dont let go, then the props stop 2 secs later anyway
2017-2-15
Use props
cluc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

Buddy, you know the definition of "accidents" or the saying "sh*t happens"?

I'm pretty sure thats how you can get injured.
2017-2-15
Use props
Joshua Carlton
Second Officer
Flight distance : 24094 ft
  • >>>
United States

I always hand launch and catch, my Mavic has literally never been on the ground. That being said it's not something to shrug off as totally safe, those blades spin super fast and will do some serious damage.  Hand catching is my preferred method but I am always super careful.
2017-2-15
Use props
Ricky Wu
Captain
Hong Kong

cluc Posted at 2017-2-15 01:36
Buddy, you know the definition of "accidents" or the saying "sh*t happens"?

I'm pretty sure thats how you can get injured.

I understand it is a fact that some ppl get injured by doing that.
So i am curious how do this happened
like under what circumstances can the props hit your finger
2017-2-15
Use props
cluc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

Hmmm people with long fingers, people who had one too many drinks, people who has not had enough wrist flicking... lol
2017-2-15
Use props
Dovivan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7349334 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

cathcing on the hand is boring for me.  I have p4 and i love takeoff and landing on original box from DJi. It is like landing on carrier ship. little bit adrenaline but funny and more save like to a hand.  BUT mavic has nice body for hand landing.
2017-2-15
Use props
kabukiman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 381923 ft
Luxembourg

The fact you ask the question is already dangerous ;) Don't take it personally!
2017-2-15
Use props
Ricky Wu
Captain
Hong Kong

cluc Posted at 2017-2-15 02:10
Hmmm people with long fingers, people who had one too many drinks, people who has not had enough wrist flicking... lol

In fact you cannot touch the props no matter how long your fingers are. You can try catching the drone's belly without turning on the power.
2017-2-15
Use props
The Rev
Captain
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United Kingdom

Ive done this myself but I think the Dangers are obvious .
2017-2-15
Use props
watuse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2064587 ft
Spain

If you want to hand catch and launch you have to turn off all the sensors especially the ones for landing, for launching you need to use the take off icon on the DJI go app thats about it, I have launch and hand catch mine but I do not recommend this for any one who is a beginner, first need to practice with all the sensors off in launching and landing.....

2017-2-15
Use props
Jdwyier
lvl.3

United States

All actions carry some level of risk and unintended consequences are a fact of life. Placing your fingers in close proximity to twirling blades is not an exception to that rule. We take risks every day. Being conscious of the risk and doing it anyway is not the same thing as being oblivious to it.  If you really can't understand how it is possible to cut your fingers catching a Mavic do a youtube search. There's plenty of folks that have that could explain it to you in detail.
2017-2-15
Use props
fansed802632
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1641752 ft
United Kingdom

Jdwyier Posted at 2017-2-15 05:39
All actions carry some level of risk and unintended consequences are a fact of life. Placing your fingers in close proximity to twirling blades is not an exception to that rule. We take risks every day. Being conscious of the risk and doing it anyway is not the same thing as being oblivious to it.  If you really can't understand how it is possible to cut your fingers catching a Mavic do a youtube search. There's plenty of folks that have that could explain it to you in detail.

Yes - difference between being risk-averse vs. risk-informed.
2017-2-15
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

ask this guy why

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video ... -drone-concert.html
2017-2-15
Use props
NavigatorNL
First Officer
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

Why would one take ANY risk when the Mavic lands on it's own and perfectly? I just don't understand.
2017-2-15
Use props
Jdwyier
lvl.3

United States

NavigatorNL Posted at 2017-2-15 10:09
Why would one take ANY risk when the Mavic lands on it's own and perfectly? I just don't understand.

Plenty of situations one may run into where taking off or landing on the ground is less than optimal. Snow, sand, mud, water, etc.

I've hand launched and hand landed upon occasion. Works fine, but it doesn't come without some level of personal risk compared to taking off and landing from the ground due to proximity of the blades. A brain fart at the wrong moment or any unexpected movement of the craft with it that close to you could possibly end badly.  I keep landing protection turned off becuase I find it easier to hand catch that way.
2017-2-15
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Ricky Wu Posted at 2017-2-15 01:57
I understand it is a fact that some ppl get injured by doing that.
So i am curious how do this happened
like under what circumstances can the props hit your finger

There's all manner of accidents I imagine can happen; a sudden gust of wind or loss of GPS signal, inopportune stabilization failure, your slipping on the ground and falling into the props, a momentary distraction leading to a misplaced grab are some I quickly came up with.

I guess you could open a new thread and ask people who have actually been injured to report on the circumstances of their injuries.
2017-2-15
Use props
Seamless Media
lvl.1
United States

I think one good precaution when hand catching (and in general) would be to make sure you are wearing some form of eye protection, sunglasses etc. Even if you are confident in your ability to keep the blades away from your face, there is always a chance some small debris in the air blowing around could hit a blade and be catapulted into your eye.  
2017-2-15
Use props
dana5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

I think it has something to do with those 4 sharp blades spinning at high speed. Wind gusts can also happen. But in the end, no one is saying you can't. It's your flesh, so do as you please.
2017-2-15
Use props
NavigatorNL
First Officer
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-2-15 10:35
There's all manner of accidents I imagine can happen; a sudden gust of wind or loss of GPS signal, inopportune stabilization failure, your slipping on the ground and falling into the props, a momentary distraction leading to a misplaced grab are some I quickly came up with.

I guess you could open a new thread and ask people who have actually been injured to report on the circumstances of their injuries.

Another one

https://www.bright.nl/nieuws/au- ... -drone-uit-de-lucht
2017-2-15
Use props
Fernanditu
lvl.3

Peru

Most stupid thread ever
2017-2-16
Use props
FlashGJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 293379 ft
Canada

I always hand launch and hand catch, but I am not naive to the fact that there is a risk that something could go wrong. I always keep my hand above my head to minimize the risk to my head, but right now the places I am flying have too much snow and carrying around a landing pad is out of the question. If it scares you, don't do it. If I ever find myself in a situation where I feel like the risk is to high for some reason, then I will not take the risk, but so far I have never encountered that situation.
2017-2-16
Use props
devGOD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 200577 ft
United States

The Mavic price point should of been higher to reduce the amount of users like this from buying
2017-2-16
Use props
GiantBubbleGuy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 41962 ft
United States

devGOD Posted at 2017-2-16 21:19
The Mavic price point should of been higher to reduce the amount of users like this from buying

Come on. That is ridiculous. Plenty of rich people are not too bright, and plenty of poor people are very bright. Hand launching and catching the Mavic may be dangerous if you behave foolishly. Wealth has no bearing on intelligence.
2017-2-16
Use props
fans011c9327
lvl.1

Slovenia

If you want to know my mavic hit my fingers.
I know it was a stupid thing to do but I am new to this and in panic you do not think clearly. Mavic was about to hit an obstacle.
It hit 3 fingers but the worst part was to clean the blood as it goes all around.
2017-2-16
Use props
dirkjan82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112169 ft
Netherlands

People will always find stupid ways to make things like hand catching a drone dangerous. Some take risks on purpose (after watching too much episodes of Jackass), others are just plain stupid or unfortunate.
A few things that I can think of:
- people not stretching their arm out far enough, thus getting spinning blades against their arm, chest or face,
- people being dumb and trying to grab it from above, catching their hand in spinning blades,
- people trying to be smart by trying not to obstruct the bottom sensors (perhaps they read something about this thing called a "hand catch"), thus grabbing it from above, also getting their hands caught in spinning blades (forgot about those while busy with not obstructing the sensors),
- people being distracted by something while in the middle of the landing procedure, and with that moving themselves, or the drone accidentally and missing the catch, then getting hit by the blades,
- people trying to catch an arm of the drone instead of the body,
- to complete the list: read the above comments about gusts of wind, panicking, etc.

And these are just stupid things that I (and others) could think of that people might do. There are always numerous other incredibly stupid mistakes that you and me can't even imagine until we see it being done. Those will happen because...well, because some people are just not too bright.
2017-2-17
Use props
Ricky Wu
Captain
Hong Kong

dirkjan82 Posted at 2017-2-17 14:52
People will always find stupid ways to make things like hand catching a drone dangerous. Some take risks on purpose (after watching too much episodes of Jackass), others are just plain stupid or unfortunate.
A few things that I can think of:
- people not stretching their arm out far enough, thus getting spinning blades against their arm, chest or face,

This is one of the most reasonable answer i am looking for.
However, just cant believe these stupid things actually happens. I though those who hurt were trying to grab from the belly like me.
So what you mean is no way can u touch the props if you do it right?
2017-2-17
Use props
Ricky Wu
Captain
Hong Kong

And for those who think my question is stupid, please please take out you mavic and try to grab it with the motor off.
Then you will find out that you can never touch the props, i know it sounds redicilous, but trust me and try.
2017-2-17
Use props
Terjay
lvl.1
Finland

You won't hit the props if you're careful but the props can hit you in a situation that is not up to you. This has been mentioned before but what if there's a malfunction of glitch and the drone dips and comes straight at you? If you're a super hot top gun Mavic flier that can catch a drone with your teeth then good on you. That doesn't make it 100% safe in all conditions.
2017-2-17
Use props
Ricky Wu
Captain
Hong Kong

Terjay Posted at 2017-2-17 23:05
You won't hit the props if you're careful but the props can hit you in a situation that is not up to you. This has been mentioned before but what if there's a malfunction of glitch and the drone dips and comes straight at you? If you're a super hot top gun Mavic flier that can catch a drone with your teeth then good on you. That doesn't make it 100% safe in all conditions.

Taking this into consideration is meaningless. We are talking about that is mavic more dangerous than the  previous phantom which many ppl catch it.
i know the drone can come towards you or dip at one side, but this can also happen on a phantom. So i think catching mavic is as safe as phantom
2017-2-17
Use props
Bucefalo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 444944 ft
Italy

the point is that SOME people don't realize things UNTIL they happen.. and then you'll spend years of your life thinking " why why i was so stupid and i didn't just land it on the ground "!!!
UNLESS there is no other option .. my mavic will always land and take off from ground , not cause i'm smart person.. not cause i don't want to take the risk but simply cause WHEN(not IF) something bad will happen , I'll regret how stupid i was !
2017-2-17
Use props
yonuwK8ymzkl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 874278 ft
Singapore

May I know why does blocking the ultrasonic sensor prevent it from trying to lift away from your palm?
2017-3-2
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Why are we even discussing this?  Leave it to Darwin :-)
2017-3-2
Use props
rydfree41
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

The fact that someone even ask this question and can not think it through is a perfect example of why Mavics are crashing at an expodential rate ,LOL

Please wear eye protection ! I have seen seemingly good props fly apart on planes , helis and multi-rotors so catching by hand near eye level is just asking for a mishap . Radio /magnetic interference, electronics burning out , wind gust etc ,heck , even a insect bite at the wrong time can cause things to happen unexpected when near props spinning . I've seen a lot of it go down first hand .
2017-3-2
Use props
jumpingjets
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31043 ft
United States

Joshua Carlton Posted at 2017-2-15 01:45
I always hand launch and catch, my Mavic has literally never been on the ground. That being said it's not something to shrug off as totally safe, those blades spin super fast and will do some serious damage.  Hand catching is my preferred method but I am always super careful.

how do you hand catch it? every time my hands get close, mavic just raises higher..
2017-3-2
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Reaching for an object with 4 sharp propellers, each propeller spinning at thousands of RPM's doesn't really need an explanation to most people?
2017-6-14
Use props
chalde
First Officer
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's funny, as far as I know, the Spark is also using props... And they advertise launching and landing with hand...

The mavic behave the exact same way when landing on your hand as the spark, if you do it properly. Get the sensor to detect your hand then hold the trigger down. It will gently land on your hand, and turn off on its own.
2017-6-14
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.3
Flight distance : 871430 ft
United States

I have hand caught my mavic dozens of times, hit my finger once when a girl walked up and started talking, hurt but no blood.
I have been hit in the thumb by a 20" prop on a  large quad, chipped the bone, 13 stitches, hurt but it will not stop me from hand launching and catching mavic when at the beach.

Anybody that worries about getting hurt in life should buy a cat, a tub of ice cream and stay home

The injury examples above are both larger quads
2017-6-14
Use props
cristianc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

I started doing hand caching recently and  I love it. You do need to be careful when it is too windy and the mavic is swaying too much.
2017-6-14
Use props
Tombolian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 675958 ft
United States

OK smart guy, I was on you side because I hand launch all the time, and I decided to go to my park and practice 'bad catches' and I JUST HIT MY FINGER WITH THE BLADES WHILE GRABBING FROM UNDERNEATH! .  No blood, no cut, just about 10 nips from the tip of one of the blades, but, to answer your question directly, and conclusively, one can hit one's fingers when hand catching (as long as you don't have Donald Trump hands).
2017-6-14
Use props
seeker_ktf_
Captain
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

I don't hand catch unless I have to.  If you're flying in areas with no place to land how else do you fly?  It's practically impossible to take off/land on the deck of a boat... way easier to catch.  So I'm kinda surprised that so many people never do it.  I guess if you always take off from a driveway or some other flattened out spot you're OK, but if you go just about anywhere that isn't maintained by  humans, it's actually pretty hard to find an acceptably large flat spot with no shrubs, or other plant life where there's comfortable clearance.
2017-6-14
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules