What is AFC Mode?
37317 23 2017-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ChrisH_Photos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 133694 ft
South Africa

In the camera settings of DJIGo4 (IOS) you can turn AFC mode on/off. I can find no reference to this in the manual or anywhere on Google or even this forum.

Can someone please tell me not only what it does, but also what it stands for. Obviously it has something to do with autofocus, but what exactly?

I thought of asking DJI support, but they would only ask me to reinstall the software and then send them a video of the problem.
2017-2-15
Use props
PAYBACK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 683885 ft
South Africa

AFAIK it will automatically focus when you start recording without having to tap the screen.
2017-2-15
Use props
ChrisH_Photos
lvl.2
South Africa

I'm going to answer my own question. It stands for Auto Focus Continuous. Turning it off would appear to stop the camera from constantly autofocusing.
That's a great behaviour, as I can focus once and forget about it.
2017-2-15
Use props
OhOhDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 526076 ft
United States

ChrisH_Photos Posted at 2017-2-15 11:16
I'm going to answer my own question. It stands for Auto Focus Continuous. Turning it off would appear to stop the camera from constantly autofocusing.
That's a great behaviour, as I can focus once and forget about it.

Is this only on the iOS? I don't see it on the Android. Can you please explain where you see this mode?
2017-2-15
Use props
Gateway
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1873806 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just noticed this as well after the upgrade and yet again having to set various settings that get lost on update (DJI fix this)..

Anyhow I had it on (its on by default) and was just resetting up some lost settings where I heard the camera constantly auto focusing with this setting on.  I'm not sure how much of a good idea this may be when flying because if it see's different things it wants to focus on you may in your video see blurriness.

I'm not sure yet how I feel about it until I do a few flights..

Thoughts?
2017-2-15
Use props
ChrisH_Photos
lvl.2
South Africa

OhOhDrone Posted at 2017-2-15 13:00
Is this only on the iOS? I don't see it on the Android. Can you please explain where you see this mode?

It is in the main camera settings.
2017-2-16
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-GO-Enabled-AFC-Mode.jpg
2017-2-17
Use props
Fiveform 2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136230 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's on Android DJI GO4, as well.  I just noticed it in a flight a half-hour ago, as my phone was doing the double beep thing and the green square lighting up every so often. I was looking to see if I was hitting a control, but no - it's actually real autofocus!  Great add that I wasn't aware of!!!
2017-2-26
Use props
armoredsaint
lvl.1
United States

is that why i get that beeping too, among all the other warnings and sounds?
2017-2-26
Use props
JimmyC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 65814 ft
United States

armoredsaint Posted at 2017-2-26 18:15
is that why i get that beeping too, among all the other warnings and sounds?

I believe so. I tried AFC and it would beep when focusing.
2017-2-26
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

It only seems to "AFC" whilst NOT recording (Android). It doesn't focus again unless I stop recording.
2017-2-26
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-2-26 21:41
It only seems to "AFC" whilst NOT recording (Android). It doesn't focus again unless I stop recording.

You want this, otherwise it will continually seek focus during recording.. Eg a bird flying past close by will make the background lose focus (blur in and out). If you want to change focus during recording then use "tap and focus" (turn off AFC and switch to AF).

You should look into Focus Peaking and using manual focus to create some stunning depth of field footage.
2017-2-26
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

QuanthonyTrang Posted at 2017-2-26 22:04
You want this, otherwise it will continually seek focus during recording.. Eg a bird flying past close by will make the background lose focus (blur in and out). If you want to change focus during recording then use "tap and focus" (turn off AFC and switch to AF).

You should look into Focus Peaking and using manual focus to create some stunning depth of field footage.

"If you want to change focus during recording then use "tap and focus" (turn off AFC and switch to AF)."

Actually, I'm pretty sure we can still also tap to focus while it's recording in the new AFC mode. There's a notification that comes up on my screen saying something like that, but I'm not sure if I've actually tried it myself.
2017-2-27
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

QuanthonyTrang Posted at 2017-2-26 22:04

Well yes, agreed. Just confirming the functionality.
2017-2-27
Use props
egargiulo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5000 ft
Italy

but does this afc option also exist for the phantom 4? or just for the 4Pro phantom? thanks
2019-3-23
Use props
egargiulo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5000 ft
Italy

but does this afc option also exist for the phantom 4? or just for the 4Pro phantom? thanks
2019-3-23
Use props
fans18539db9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1329488 ft
Czechia

egargiulo Posted at 3-23 04:06

P4 is a fixfocus.
2019-4-9
Use props
RobH2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 348812 ft
United States

The more I read about AF and AFC the more I'm undecided about which one to use when doing a Panorama. I think that that AF is the best function to use for Panos. That way, the focus stays set once you've set it for the first image.
2019-6-2
Use props
fans80e36a99
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7438 ft
Italy

Hi everybody,
I'm new here, so I've a problem with the AFC feature and I'll explain to your attention.

I say that, if the AFC function works, the camera must refocus by itself immediately! Automatically and continuously.
AUTO FOCUS CONTINOUS, (AFC)  means that the focusing is automatic and takes place without any intervention.  
Ok?
In my Mavic 2 Zoom the AFC function is defective, because it turns off when I start recording the video.
Before starting video recording, AFC works perfectly without having to press any button and also works automatically when zooming.
As soon as I switch from standby to video recording, the AFC feature stops working.
Is it normal?
Someone should explain to me why this happens.

I'm thinking perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps I don't understand something about the AFC feature.
Thanx so muthc for any tip abt.
2019-6-11
Use props
fans80e36a99
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7438 ft
Italy

fans80e36a99 Posted at 6-11 01:29
Hi everybody,
I'm new here, so I've a problem with the AFC feature and I'll explain to your attention.

so... none tested if AFC stands active during video recording ??!
2019-6-12
Use props
djiuser_Gv0v7dS5FwMS
New

United Kingdom

fans80e36a99 Posted at 6-12 12:17
so... none tested if AFC stands active during video recording ??!

Did you find solution? Got the same problem
2019-7-3
Use props
fans0d49d13e
lvl.2
Flight distance : 463832 ft
  • >>>
United States

PAYBACK Posted at 2017-2-15 11:14
AFAIK it will automatically focus when you start recording without having to tap the screen.

I have the same question, but what I found is that you have to tap the screen on mine, unless its defective, when I take off everything is blurry when recording, I tapped on the screen and it came into focus, so I don`t know if I should disable it or leave it on, but I shouldn`t have to tap on the screen everytime I fly, so I`m confused
2019-11-24
Use props
djiuser_ldNdRe5kwZsM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 245459 ft
United States

Why am I having to dig to figure out how this is supposed to work? I am not going to read through the entire history of this feature to figure out how it's supposed to be working today. Need a better answer from DJI.
2023-4-5
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_ldNdRe5kwZsM Posted at 4-5 12:40
Why am I having to dig to figure out how this is supposed to work? I am not going to read through the entire history of this feature to figure out how it's supposed to be working today. Need a better answer from DJI.

Hi there. Thanks for reaching out, and apologies for any inconvenience caused. AF-C (Auto Focus Continuous) mode is commonly known as continuous autofocus. This mode is used for tracking moving subjects. It will automatically re-adjust focus if you or your subject move. All you need to do is continue half-pressing the shutter button.
Note: If you take photos of dancing models, moving vehicles or anything that moves, then this mode is just for you.
We hope this clarifies your concern. Thank you, and have a nice day.

2023-4-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules