Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Gimbal Roll Adjust Issue
3355 12 2017-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
trickn0l0gy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 156040 ft
Switzerland

Hi there,

I am having issues with gimbal roll on my mavic. I have calibrated the gimbal numerous times on a perfectly even surface. However, it never comes out 100% balanced. I always have to manually correct by 1.0 to 1.7 - I think this is a lot of error. Is anyone else having these problems? How can I fix this permanently?

Best regards

Max
2017-2-15
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

So you're having to correct by 1.0 - 1.7 before you even fly? Yes, that's a lot even in the air; I don't think I've ever gone past +/- 0.4. If calibration hasn't helped I'm not sure what will except maybe to have it serviced by DJI. Before that, though, have you checked to see if all the gimbal tabs are in place?
2017-2-15
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Try the compass calibration without any metal around, sidewalks have rebar in them. Then go back and do a gimbal calibration. People say the IMU is the most important one but I haven't seen much change doing that.

Also adding any metal parts to the mavic, you should do a compass calibration anyway. I take off and remove parts using velcro xd When fly without a compass calibration and have a new part on, can tell right away. The horizon is crooked. Why think it's more compass and gimbal calibration related than anything. Probably wouldn't hurt to do a IMU. Mods here say they do a controlled one in China. But then others say refrigerator and a bunch of other stuff. Hard to say other than make sure it's a level surface and take off the props, calibrate IMU while cool.

I would just do compass and gimbal first, see what you got.
2017-2-15
Use props
trickn0l0gy
lvl.2
Switzerland

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-15 14:50
So you're having to correct by 1.0 - 1.7 before you even fly? Yes, that's a lot even in the air; I don't think I've ever gone past +/- 0.4. If calibration hasn't helped I'm not sure what will except maybe to have it serviced by DJI. Before that, though, have you checked to see if all the gimbal tabs are in place?

What are the gimbal "tabs"? Not sure what you are referring to? If you mean the safety bracket, that's of course always removed before powering on the Mavic.

And yes, the gimbal roll exists already before flying.
2017-2-16
Use props
trickn0l0gy
lvl.2
Switzerland

thehippoz Posted at 2017-2-15 14:54
Try the compass calibration without any metal around, sidewalks have rebar in them. Then go back and do a gimbal calibration. People say the IMU is the most important one but I haven't seen much change doing that.

Also adding any metal parts to the mavic, you should do a compass calibration anyway. I take off and remove parts using velcro xd When fly without a compass calibration and have a new part on, can tell right away. The horizon is crooked. Why think it's more compass and gimbal calibration related than anything. Probably wouldn't hurt to do a IMU. Mods here say they do a controlled one in China. But then others say refrigerator and a bunch of other stuff. Hard to say other than make sure it's a level surface and take off the props, calibrate IMU while cool.

I have done both compass AND gimbal calibrations in environments without interference. No change for the better. So, I guess I will have to talk to DJI about this...
2017-2-16
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Take a look at this video; my use of the phrase "gimbal tabs" is slightly different from his and may not be correct, but you'll get the idea, especially when he moves one of them above where it should be at around 0:17.

2017-2-16
Use props
Turkk71
lvl.2
United States

Forgive me for piggy backing on this one, but had an interesting day yesterday.  I did not notice on my phone while flying, but upon later review, some of my footage had a slanted horizon line, and other footage did not, all from the same flight?  Anyone else experience this self-correcting?  I say self-correcting because it seems to have corrected itself between clips.  Thoughts?
2017-2-16
Use props
Turkk71
lvl.2
United States

Turkk71 Posted at 2017-2-16 04:16
Forgive me for piggy backing on this one, but had an interesting day yesterday.  I did not notice on my phone while flying, but upon later review, some of my footage had a slanted horizon line, and other footage did not, all from the same flight?  Anyone else experience this self-correcting?  I say self-correcting because it seems to have corrected itself between clips.  Thoughts?

(Forgive the quality, I have not worked the footage.)

2017-2-16
Use props
strick2210
lvl.2
Flight distance : 119485 ft
United States

I am having the same issue. I have to adjust my gimble roll to 1.7 - 1.8 before take off. I really didn't notice the issue till the last firmware 2/14 and after a compass calibration. Then the image started off like 20 degrees tilt. It straightens up sometimes, but turning gives me a slight tilt. I went back to my previous videos and I see the same thing happening with out the gimble roll setting at 1.7. I'm wondering if the latest firmware just magnifies the issue now.
2017-2-20
Use props
trickn0l0gy
lvl.2
Switzerland

Well, looks like we have the same problem here. Last firmware version also made it worse for me. And yes, I checked the tabs. No issue there.
2017-2-20
Use props
strick2210
lvl.2
United States

trickn0l0gy Posted at 2017-2-20 07:22
Well, looks like we have the same problem here. Last firmware version also made it worse for me. And yes, I checked the tabs. No issue there.

Let us know if you talk to DJI about the issue. I'm going on a couple trips in the next 3 weeks and can't afford to send the drone in right now.
2017-2-20
Use props
404NotFound
lvl.2
Flight distance : 477736 ft
United States

I have the same issue with my replacement Drone I got back from DJI. The first one, I messed up and sent it in and got a new one back, on first flight I noticed it was titled. I did a recalibration of everything and still the video tilts after flying (gets worse in sport mode). Hoping a firmware fix can solve this vs waiting another 2 weeks to send it back to DJI and wait to get it back again.
2017-2-27
Use props
strick2210
lvl.2
United States

I sent mine in for repair last month and I just got a new one back on Friday. I had it out for a quick test run and it seems horizon keeps level. Gimbal roll is set to -1. I will do some more testing maybe next week to give it a better test.
2017-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules