Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
The machine is a dream, the signal is terrible, 800meter and gone
3349 77 2017-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Donnie Stugots
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

joejoe Posted at 2017-2-21 07:46
Are you talking about video signal or about the remote signal here?

I don´t even know how to change frequency of the remote on my android pad. I can only find Work Frequency in the Image Transmission Settings :\

In Europe  You can't change the Image transmission to custom Only can stay on Auto .  This is for the Image Transmission only.

donnie
2017-2-21
Use props
Blackwood
Second Officer

United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-21 07:41
Ok, that is really bad , I think something is terribly wrong with your system.....somewhere !!  ( captain Obvious speaking )   I would do and RC re link for starters then take it to another location to see if it acts up .  Also perhaps try another I pad if you can , If it does not clear up I would be exchanging you I2 or sending In for repair. ( after testing Othere I pads etc. )   Do yo notice the HD signal bars dropping and then you loose video ?  If so then definitely in the DJI system , If you have 5 bars and still loose video then I would suspect the I pad .  

Check the antennas on the RC and AC and see if they may be bad On the RC espescailly .( doubt it but chack anyway )   The part that I don't get it the I pad re set .  Yes to try another I pad  if you can , If you are near East Lansing Michigan , you can borrow mine !!

Thanks for the offer, but I'm down in Baton Rouge, LA so that might be a bit of a drive.  The weather is not cooperating today, but I will try your suggestions as soon as I can.  I want to say that the HD bars are dropping when this happens, but I can't say for sure.  I'm usually too busy dealing with the situation.  I definitely want to try channel 20.  I've always left it on auto and just switched between 2.4 and 5.8 when necessary.  I've already tried deleting at reinstalling the app but that had no effect.  Oh, and a side note, I don't need to shut down the remote or the AC when I have issues, just restarting the app fixes the problem.
To be clear, this doesn't happen every time.  Some flights are fine other are not.  This past week I was hired to shoot tornado damage in my home town.  The first flight at my house, which I've flown many times without a problem,  took several restarts of the app before it cleared up.  From there I headed into town and made 2 flights with no issues whatsoever.  Then I headed down the river to a location that I had flown 2 days before.  On first attempt, I had a good radio signal before take off, (which I was on the ground for a couple of minutes checking setting so it's not like I turned it on and immediately took off) once I got 10 feet off the ground, the AC disconnected and would not respond to joystick inputs or the RTH button.  Took about 3-4 minutes to get it back on the ground with intermittent connections that allowed me to drop it a few inches at a time.  Got it on the ground, restarted the app, not the AC or remote, and then flew a 20 minute mission with no problems.
2017-2-21
Use props
fanse186c04e
First Officer
Flight distance : 26170253 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-19 07:03
Vince , Besides the weather , what else did you change to go from 800 meters 3+kilometers in range ? Just wondering if any of my suggestions made any difference or was it just weather related ?
donnie

sorry, late response, terrible illness i have had.

I did nothing else, bad erea?, or bad wetter(sun storm), i do not know.

Did flu it 3,3 km and really great and made a great sunbeam timelaps test, ,happy
Damm it's realy a great camera, i ceep saying it,sorry, also the machine is sick, so good, meybey that's the reason i was ill....

It,s in 4K

2017-2-22
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

fanse186c04e Posted at 2017-2-22 13:47

Ok, very good , hope you feel better very soon , I usually get sick this time of year as well, hope I luck out this year and DONT get it !!

Thanks for the update

donnie
2017-2-22
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

Blackwood Posted at 2017-2-21 08:10
Thanks for the offer, but I'm down in Baton Rouge, LA so that might be a bit of a drive.  The weather is not cooperating today, but I will try your suggestions as soon as I can.  I want to say that the HD bars are dropping when this happens, but I can't say for sure.  I'm usually too busy dealing with the situation.  I definitely want to try channel 20.  I've always left it on auto and just switched between 2.4 and 5.8 when necessary.  I've already tried deleting at reinstalling the app but that had no effect.  Oh, and a side note, I don't need to shut down the remote or the AC when I have issues, just restarting the app fixes the problem.
To be clear, this doesn't happen every time.  Some flights are fine other are not.  This past week I was hired to shoot tornado damage in my home town.  The first flight at my house, which I've flown many times without a problem,  took several restarts of the app before it cleared up.  From there I headed into town and made 2 flights with no issues whatsoever.  Then I headed down the river to a location that I had flown 2 days before.  On first attempt, I had a good radio signal before take off, (which I was on the ground for a couple of minutes checking setting so it's not like I turned it on and immediately took off) once I got 10 feet off the ground, the AC disconnected and would not respond to joystick inputs or the RTH button.  Took about 3-4 minutes to get it back on the ground with intermittent connections that allowed me to drop it a few inches at a time.  Got it on the ground, restarted the app, not the AC or remote, and then flew a 20 minute mission with no problems.

That is  a strange case for sure , let me know how channel 20 works out for you .

cheers

donnie
2017-2-22
Use props
fanse186c04e
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Blackwood Posted at 2017-2-21 07:24
Hey Donnie, thanks for the reply.  However I am using an iPad Air and I'm very familiar with angles and whatnot.  I've been flying Phantoms for a couple of years now (and never had a single transmission issue).  As far as distance, you asked if I had a problem at 800 yards or 80 yards, actual neither.  I have issues within 3 to 15 feet.  Sometimes I can't get off the ground and other times I get 15 feet off the ground and all hell breaks loose.  However, once I restart the app or in some cases reboot the iPad, I can fly as far as I want without a problem.  The only difference is the app restart.

Ok, i hope this works, try to trow away every app on your iPad , do a clean instal.
and try again.
Only the go-app on it then

Let me know if it works
2017-2-23
Use props
Blackwood
Second Officer

United States

fanse186c04e Posted at 2017-2-23 15:02
Ok, i hope this works, try to trow away every app on your iPad , do a clean instal.
and try again.
Only the go-app on it then

First of all, let me say to the original poster, Sorry, I had no intention of hijacking your thread.  I originally posted  my experience and what I did that seemed to work so that you could try it.  Then some of these great guys on here started looking into what was going on with my AC and it took off from there. So since I can't take their posts with me to another thread, I'm kind of forced to continue here.
So with that being said...
Had issues again this morning.  Took an hour to get off the ground.  I was in a location that I've flown many times before without issue.  Usually if I switch to 5.8 for video, the radio transmission problem goes away.  Not this morning. After about 20 restarts, I tried a different USB cable and what do you know, no "Weak Transmission Warning".  I thought I had found the problem. I was actually just trying to get video footage of the Inspire for a promo, so I just took off to get out of frame of my big camera and then landed again in front of the camera.  I left everything on while I repositioned the tripod for my next shot.  When I picked the remote back up, guess what, the Weak Transmission Signal was back again.  I could watch the Radio Bars go up and down on screen.  The HD signal stayed pretty solid.  If I turned slightly or just rotated the controller in my hands, the aircraft disconnected.  After several more attempts, I unhooked the iPad and connected my iPhone 6s, no difference, did the same thing.  I eventually switched back to the iPad but when I first turned everything back on, the aircraft would not connect.  I pulled the USB from the controller and shoved it back in and then it connected.  I was able to fly a brief flight to get a couple of other shots that I needed, but even during that flight I got a Weak Signal Warning a few times.  Luckily it didn't disconnect.  Most of the issues I was having this morning were within 6-10ft of the aircraft.

Now that I back in the office, I can't get it to act up.  I can walk all over the office with several walls between me the AC and the signal doesn't drop.
2017-3-14
Use props
Blackwood
Second Officer

United States

Quick update, did a re-pairing and then contacted Tech Support.  The whole time I was in the chat, of course it didn't act up once.  However, I did notice some different.  The video channel was locked in on 2.4 and the radio channel had a full signal.  I've never been able to connect on 2.4 especially here in the office with all the interference.  I did another walk around leaving the drone inside my office and the signal never lost a bar.  Hopefully I'm on to something here.
2017-3-14
Use props
Blackwood
Second Officer

United States

Nope, still broke.  DJI wants me to send it in.  My boss who bought it wants me to check with B&H first to see if they can help us out before I send it off to DJI since we bought it from B&H.
2017-3-14
Use props
Dr Jon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 463012 ft
China

Blackwood Posted at 2017-3-14 10:52
Nope, still broke.  DJI wants me to send it in.  My boss who bought it wants me to check with B&H first to see if they can help us out before I send it off to DJI since we bought it from B&H.

Two things

1) make sure the iPad is switched to flight mode...
2) don't take the iPhone with you or turn it OFF.

Reason if your near a WiFi signal both devices will lock on to these and the GSM will then be in idle mode as all the data is sent over the WiFi. So walking around your office both devices could still be in contact over WiFi But when you get away from that area you need to limit the interference from your devices by turning them OFF or going in to flight mode. Don't forget they will continue to search for a WiFi signal all the time and the scanning can cause similar to your description.  
If you need a GPS location for any reason buy the GPS module for the R/C.

I would also advise you to invest in WiFi Explorer or similar and see if you have any suspects and choose a quite channel. I have personally had some issues with local hot spots and once i had found these I was able to select a channel that was "quite" and since then i have not had a "disconnect" since.

2017-3-14
Use props
Dr Jon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 463012 ft
China

Blackwood Posted at 2017-3-14 10:52

Two things

2) don't take the iPhone with you or turn it OFF.

Reason if your near a WiFi signal both devices will lock on to these and the GSM will then be in idle mode as all the data is sent over the WiFi. So walking around your office both devices could still be in contact over WiFi But when you get away from that area you need to limit the interference from your devices by turning them OFF or going in to flight mode. Don't forget they will continue to search for a WiFi signal all the time and the scanning can cause similar to your description.  
If you need a GPS location for any reason buy the GPS module for the R/C.

I would also advise you to invest in WiFi Explorer or similar and see if you have any suspects and choose a quite channel. I have personally had some issues with local hot spots and once i had found these I was able to select a channel that was "quite" and since then i have not had a "disconnect" since.

2017-3-14
Use props
Blackwood
Second Officer

United States

Dr Jon Posted at 2017-3-14 21:07
Two things

I'm gonna go try that right now.  I always have my phone in Airplane Mode, but I never considered the iPad being a problem because it doesn't have cellular.  I never thought about it searching for wifi signals.
2017-3-15
Use props
Blackwood
Second Officer

United States

Nope, didn't work.  Left my phone inside and put the iPad in Airplane Mode and still got the same results.  My boss even drove up with a brand new iPad he bought last week.  Put that one in Airplane Mode and it still was losing the signal.
2017-3-15
Use props
Elektrica
Captain
Flight distance : 9674836 ft
  • >>>
Italy

The 5.8 on the I2 and P4P are really terrible and cut the range to a few hundreds of meters (at least i Italy). 2.4 is immensely better for range.
2017-3-15
Use props
Elektrica
Captain
Flight distance : 9674836 ft
  • >>>
Italy

BTW, on the I2 I switched to a manual channel and lost signal for good (iPad) without ever regaining it. I had to land the bird visually and reboot the remote, drone and iPad in order to get a signal back.
It was a scary experience, or a terrible bug.
2017-3-15
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 21621841 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

fanse186c04e Posted at 2017-2-16 14:06
Jep, same here.

I normal do not fly that far, bud after 600 meter signal last every time is bad!

Its interference. Nothing wrong with the radio system. I've flown to 4.5km with clear reception on a good day. In a farm area, 800m also. The place looks innocently RF free but someone had a big powerful transmitter nearby....
2017-3-15
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice video
Thanks for sharing

Get better soon!

Rich
2017-3-15
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

Nice video!
2017-3-15
Use props
Blackwood
Second Officer

United States

Blackwood Posted at 2017-3-15 06:52
Nope, didn't work.  Left my phone inside and put the iPad in Airplane Mode and still got the same results.  My boss even drove up with a brand new iPad he bought last week.  Put that one in Airplane Mode and it still was losing the signal.

Good news, talked with B&H and they said that they would exchange it for a new one.  Packed it up and sent it out yesterday afternoon.  
2017-3-16
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Blackwood Posted at 2017-3-16 08:02
Good news, talked with B&H and they said that they would exchange it for a new one.  Packed it up and sent it out yesterday afternoon.

That's awesome news. How long have you had the Inspire 2?  That is very nice customer service!!

Rich
2017-3-16
Use props
Blackwood
Second Officer

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-3-16 10:20
That's awesome news. How long have you had the Inspire 2?  That is very nice customer service!!

Rich

Just over the 30 business day limit.  Roughly 35 days.  So yes, we are very happy with their service.
2017-3-16
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Blackwood Posted at 2017-3-16 10:22
Just over the 30 business day limit.  Roughly 35 days.  So yes, we are very happy with their service.

Good going! I am very happy for you and hope the next one is perfect

Rich
2017-3-16
Use props
Blackwood
Second Officer

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-3-16 11:17
Good going! I am very happy for you and hope the next one is perfect

Rich

Me too.  We were really disappointed with the issues we were having, especially since our Phantom just does not care.  You crank that little sucker up, let it give you the all ready, flashing greens and its ready to go. It doesn't concern itself with interference. Not once in the 2 years I've been flying it did I have any issues like I've been having with the Inspire. The only times I lost signal with that one was if I flew too far and that wasn't a problem, because it always flew itself back into range where I could easily regain control.  When the Inspire disconnected, it just sat there instead of returning to the home point that I made sure it set before take off.
2017-3-16
Use props
Paradog
New

United States

Hey Vince, that's too bad being restricted to such a short distance.  Did you just purchase it recently, either didn't or you fly allot.laugh.  I have heard more times than once, anything DJI says cut it in half n pray you don't experience worst range.  I don't have any fixes for ya.  I have been waiting to get the I2 in hopes it'll soon be offered with the CrystalSky monitor, but I was told don't hold my breathe waiting.   I was hoping they'd have all the bugs worked on by now, but it seems unlikely with your review n a few others.  Are you flying line of flight when you experience the shortage of range?  Reason being, on utube guys are appear to be getting great coverage in operating distance.  Good luck, just a wanta be on this end.  I'll go see if others are getting what you've stated.  Later, Ty
2017-3-16
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

Blackwood Posted at 2017-3-16 12:37
Me too.  We were really disappointed with the issues we were having, especially since our Phantom just does not care.  You crank that little sucker up, let it give you the all ready, flashing greens and its ready to go. It doesn't concern itself with interference. Not once in the 2 years I've been flying it did I have any issues like I've been having with the Inspire. The only times I lost signal with that one was if I flew too far and that wasn't a problem, because it always flew itself back into range where I could easily regain control.  When the Inspire disconnected, it just sat there instead of returning to the home point that I made sure it set before take off.

RF interference varies with time of day and location. As far as I have tested, the implementation of the Lightbridge 2 technology seems similar on the P4, P4P and I2. The Mavic appears to be different and remarkably has the best resistance to interference. The P4 series and I2 are quite comparable on extensive testing.

There are days I get 4k+ on the I2 and days I get 2k max and this is with clear line of sight. This is in Singapore. Over in New Zealand, I got around 1.5k on a weekend when boats were out and 3k when there were fewer craft. Weather e.g. mist can affect range but I think the interference you are having to deal with involves other radio transmission. Sorry

Anything related to radio transmission is going to get hit by interference. The ODFM tech they put in LB is way superior to any analogue radio system that meets equivalent RF power limitations.

What ticks me off on some posts is that people are criticising without having ANY sense of how complex the technology that enables these birds to fly and transmit video is. And then when you write to inform, they think you are acting smarty pants.
2017-3-16
Use props
Blackwood
Second Officer

United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-3-16 16:51
RF interference varies with time of day and location. As far as I have tested, the implementation of the Lightbridge 2 technology seems similar on the P4, P4P and I2. The Mavic appears to be different and remarkably has the best resistance to interference. The P4 series and I2 are quite comparable on extensive testing.

There are days I get 4k+ on the I2 and days I get 2k max and this is with clear line of sight. This is in Singapore. Over in New Zealand, I got around 1.5k on a weekend when boats were out and 3k when there were fewer craft. Weather e.g. mist can affect range but I think the interference you are having to deal with involves other radio transmission. Sorry

The issues I was having was within 2-10 ft.  After several restarts, I was usually able to fly without any problems.  It just progressively got worse to the point that it always had a poor signal no matter the location or what I did to try to fix the problem.  I'm not just talking about populated areas, I'm talking about being in the middle of a field with no houses or towers for miles and still can't get the AC to connect standing right next to it..
2017-3-18
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

Blackwood Posted at 2017-3-18 19:32
The issues I was having was within 2-10 ft.  After several restarts, I was usually able to fly without any problems.  It just progressively got worse to the point that it always had a poor signal no matter the location or what I did to try to fix the problem.  I'm not just talking about populated areas, I'm talking about being in the middle of a field with no houses or towers for miles and still can't get the AC to connect standing right next to it..

Looks like hardware is the issue here and it relates to a faulty connector somewhere. Firmware doesn't give the kind of problem you are describing.  Suggest sending the craft for evaluation. There is a good chance something will be replaced FOC.
2017-3-19
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

Blackwood Posted at 2017-3-18 19:32

If you can , look at the antenna leads on the aircraft make sure they are firmly seated On the Main controller of the aircraft .   I know I can do this on the inspire 1, then look at the antenna wire on the RC transmitter , look at the base and see if it has broken free of the solder joint , the antenna on the right  ( if facing it directly ) will have two wires , one is for the RC to the AC and the other is for  the RC master  to RC  in slave configuration . Bet one of these wires ( or another set in the AC or RC ) like Mike says has disconnected.

Might just have to send it in .

donnie
2017-3-19
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

Electro-Nick Posted at 2017-2-16 23:55
Yup, I know, occassionlly it's useful having a degree in Electonics  .
My comment was based on experience in that it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference when I'm out in the field flying   YMMV.

Until you are threshold of losing signal, radiation patterns don't matter too much.  So you have a point
2017-3-19
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-17 09:21
Vince , are you flying line of sight , where I Know you can't see the aircraft with the naked eye  but if there was a laser beam between them would it be broken ?  I find if I have enough altitude where the AC and RC can "see" one another I get tremendous range , also make sure the aircraft is orientated with the Nose OR Tail of the aircraft Pointing directly back to the Home point .  If the aircraft is Yawing the antennas on the front and back of the Aircraft are no longer pointing directly back to the RC transmitter and you will loose range BIG TIME  , Just please try this .

You should be getting at least a kilometer of range with your system IF you have the Line of sight I referred to earlier.  I  Get over 4.5 kilometers on My Inspire I with good weather conditions and If I am line Of sight with the Aircraft .  I of course   am in the desert or Over water when I do these test, so I am in pretty rural areas to say the least.   but I get get two miles easy over rural areas not to far from the city .

The point about signal being lower when yawing (when you are close to the limit of tx range) is a gem.
2017-3-19
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

Blackwood Posted at 2017-2-21 07:24
Hey Donnie, thanks for the reply.  However I am using an iPad Air and I'm very familiar with angles and whatnot.  I've been flying Phantoms for a couple of years now (and never had a single transmission issue).  As far as distance, you asked if I had a problem at 800 yards or 80 yards, actual neither.  I have issues within 3 to 15 feet.  Sometimes I can't get off the ground and other times I get 15 feet off the ground and all hell breaks loose.  However, once I restart the app or in some cases reboot the iPad, I can fly as far as I want without a problem.  The only difference is the app restart.

I hope you are using an Air2 and not the original Air. For Go/ Go4 to work well, it is STRONGLY recommend you use something with an A8 or better processor. The original Air has an A7 processor.

2017-3-19
Use props
fanse186c04e
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Paradog Posted at 2017-3-16 12:53
Hey Vince, that's too bad being restricted to such a short distance.  Did you just purchase it recently, either didn't or you fly allot.laugh.  I have heard more times than once, anything DJI says cut it in half n pray you don't experience worst range.  I don't have any fixes for ya.  I have been waiting to get the I2 in hopes it'll soon be offered with the CrystalSky monitor, but I was told don't hold my breathe waiting.   I was hoping they'd have all the bugs worked on by now, but it seems unlikely with your review n a few others.  Are you flying line of flight when you experience the shortage of range?  Reason being, on utube guys are appear to be getting great coverage in operating distance.  Good luck, just a wanta be on this end.  I'll go see if others are getting what you've stated.  Later, Ty

It works now, so i am happy, did not do any updates
2017-3-20
Use props
Donnie *
Captain
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-3-19 20:10
The point about signal being lower when yawing (when you are close to the limit of tx range) is a gem.

Yes, I found that out  doing some test, it makes a BIG  difference .  And if you need to focus on a subject but keep the Aircraft orientated  for the best signal , first focus the camera on the subject , then  put the camera in Free mode . Then the camera stays reasonably locked on the target and you can Yaw to get those antennas pointing   directly back to the RC transmitter .  

donnie
2017-3-20
Use props
Blackwood
Second Officer

United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-3-19 05:21
Looks like hardware is the issue here and it relates to a faulty connector somewhere. Firmware doesn't give the kind of problem you are describing.  Suggest sending the craft for evaluation. There is a good chance something will be replaced FOC.

You must have missed my post above, B&H has agreed to replace it with a new one.  Sent it back last week.
2017-3-20
Use props
Blackwood
Second Officer

United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-3-19 06:27
If you can , look at the antenna leads on the aircraft make sure they are firmly seated On the Main controller of the aircraft .   I know I can do this on the inspire 1, then look at the antenna wire on the RC transmitter , look at the base and see if it has broken free of the solder joint , the antenna on the right  ( if facing it directly ) will have two wires , one is for the RC to the AC and the other is for  the RC master  to RC  in slave configuration . Bet one of these wires ( or another set in the AC or RC ) like Mike says has disconnected.

Might just have to send it in .

Already sent it back to B&H for a full replacement.  I believe the issue had something to do with the USB port on the remote.  Every cable we tried worked fine for awhile after shoving it in hard into the port.
2017-3-20
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

Blackwood Posted at 2017-3-20 11:40
You must have missed my post above, B&H has agreed to replace it with a new one.  Sent it back last week.

I did see that post and yeah, good for you that B & H don't nickel and dime their customers. THAT surely disses people.
Co-incidentally, I had the same USB port issue with my original Inspire 1, which is why I suggested that it was a hardware issue related to a connector earlier. DJI replaced the remote for free too.
2017-3-20
Use props
Donnie *
Captain
United States

Blackwood Posted at 2017-3-20 11:42
Already sent it back to B&H for a full replacement.  I believe the issue had something to do with the USB port on the remote.  Every cable we tried worked fine for awhile after shoving it in hard into the port.

Oh  yes, those do fail now and then .

donnie
2017-3-21
Use props
Blackwood
Second Officer

United States

Just an update, since gettting the new Inspire 2 in a few days after sending the other one back to B&H, I haven't had any of the issues I was having with the other one. So far I haven't gotten any weak transmission warnings and that's at the same locations the other one wouldn't even fly.
2017-4-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules