I just bought the Litchi app, any advise?
2107 19 2017-2-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
timbo
lvl.2
United States

I bought the litchi app last night, I works 10 hour days so I have not had a chance to test it out. I like the idea of waypoint missions but I think I could get into trouble if I am not careful. I really wanted the orbit feature for my p3a. Can it do any other cool things? Any advice for the waypoints?
2017-2-17
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

Make sure your elevation is set higher than any objects that will be within the waypoint mission! The mission will stop when your P3A runs into an object.
2017-2-17
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

I heard and seen the track function on the P3S, but I am not sure if it is like active track or what?
2017-2-17
Use props
macondo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11201 ft

United States

Your best chance to avoid collisions is using Google Earth. Make a Path; set the elevation relative to the Ground (meters, feet, etc); see the surroundings using google elevation tools & finally ave the path in .kml mode. Go to litchi import your google path and... voila! You will have to make further adjustments to POI and camera settings as well as drone speed.
2017-3-10
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

macondo Posted at 2017-3-10 07:54
Your best chance to avoid collisions is using Google Earth. Make a Path; set the elevation relative to the Ground (meters, feet, etc); see the surroundings using google elevation tools & finally ave the path in .kml mode. Go to litchi import your google path and... voila! You will have to make further adjustments to POI and camera settings as well as drone speed.

Just a comment on the Google Earth. I have used it a lot also. Be careful depending on the location of how old the data may be. Especially if you are in an area that may have had some type of major construction or something. Sometime the Google Earth data may be a year or two old. Just saying be careful with your altitudes! It does work great though.

Another bit of advise for the beginner with Litchi. Take a little time and go to the website, create a free account for the phantom-school, and watch the free videos on how to use Litchi. Some very good stuff here. Don't forget to also look at the "Bonus" videos they offer for free. Gives some pointers on a couple more functions.
2017-3-10
Use props
Johnnyv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2798707 ft
Canada

It will void your warranty if you're still covered.
2017-3-10
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260384 ft
United States

I like the RV (virtual Reality) feature.  Got goggles for my iPhone ($20) and it works wonderfully!  It uses the left and right side of the camera image to build a virtual 3D view, making flying like being a bird.  
Have tested most all features of Litchi and really like them.  The "follow" mode is iffy - works only if you are close enough for it to make out a distinct shape, so at perhaps 100 feet max.  Good way to run into a tree!  
Orbit works wonderfully and like with DJI Go, you can rotate the bird any way you want - so directly away from your centered object, or looking exactly forward - or toward the object.  
2017-3-10
Use props
sdevan45
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6493 ft
United States

Make sure you understand this:  Signal Lost Behavior for Manual Flying Choose Hover, Land, or Return To Home. Your choice applies when you are manually flying your aircraft only. Be aware that autonomous flight Missions you create in Litchi and upload to your aircraft will continue to fly even if the connection is lost. The Phantom 3 Standard and 4K (but not the Phantom 3 Professional) exhibit an exception to the selected Signal Lost Behavior as follows: If the control signal is lost while manually flying either of these two aircraft in the Focus or Track mode or with VR (virtual reality) immersive/Joystick Head Tracking activated, the aircraft will stop and hover, but will not Land or Return to Home.

It only applies to the Focus, Track or VR modes discussed.  Otherwise, the RTH behavior works well.
2017-3-10
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
United States

sdevan45@cox.ne Posted at 2017-3-10 13:49
Make sure you understand this:  Signal Lost Behavior for Manual Flying Choose Hover, Land, or Return To Home. Your choice applies when you are manually flying your aircraft only. Be aware that autonomous flight Missions you create in Litchi and upload to your aircraft will continue to fly even if the connection is lost. The Phantom 3 Standard and 4K (but not the Phantom 3 Professional) exhibit an exception to the selected Signal Lost Behavior as follows: If the control signal is lost while manually flying either of these two aircraft in the Focus or Track mode or with VR (virtual reality) immersive/Joystick Head Tracking activated, the aircraft will stop and hover, but will not Land or Return to Home.

It only applies to the Focus, Track or VR modes discussed.  Otherwise, the RTH behavior works well.

That's good information!  Thank you.  
2017-3-10
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
United States

sdevan45@cox.ne Posted at 2017-3-10 13:49

Sdevan45; A really naive question:
The manual and then you just used the term “Manual Flying”.  But in the App, that is not one of the choices.  What mode should a person be in to just manually fly?
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but it is pertinent to the original thread.
2017-3-10
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

bob37 Posted at 2017-3-10 15:16
The manual and then you just used the term “Manual Flying”.  But in the App, that is not one of the choices.  What mode should a person be in to just manually fly?

Flip to ATT mode, practice manual flying & practice some more. Good to know how to fly in manual mode before you see the line- "lack of satilities, switching to ATT mode", which puts your bird into full manual control.
You want to know how to fly your bird manually, before you have to!!
flying in ATT mode can be very exciting. First time I switched out of P to ATT mode, my P3A took off sideways, I thought I had a flyaway, but, just the high winds at 60 meters.
Once you master full manual mode, you will find yourself using it more & more!
2017-3-11
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft
United States

fans987d278a Posted at 2017-3-11 09:50
Flip to ATT mode, practice manual flying & practice some more. Good to know how to fly in manual mode before you see the line- "lack of satilities, switching to ATT mode", which puts your bird into full manual control.
You want to know how to fly your bird manually, before you have to!!
flying in ATT mode can be very exciting. First time I switched out of P to ATT mode, my P3A took off sideways, I thought I had a flyaway, but, just the high winds at 60 meters.

I don't know - the reason I bought my Phantom was to take advantage of all the great technology that wasn't on my previous "toy" drones. GPS positioning is so good I never want to turn it off. Flying with it turned off would be very nerve racking and only practical when the P3 is very close.
In Litchi you can fly manually in both P and I modes with satellite support. RTH can work in any mode I believe.
When flying a Litchi mission, depending on your app settings, You can turn your controller off altogether (not recommended) and the uploaded mission will still complete. You decide in the app settings what action the drone should take for a lost signal or at the end of the mission.
Besides orbit, you can do a waypoint mission with several waypoints around (it curves the lines) a point of interest.
2017-3-11
Use props
Poop Chute
lvl.2

United States

bob37 Posted at 2017-3-10 15:16

Manual flying in Litchi is when you are in "FPV" mode.  Upper left corner of the screen shows your current flight mode.
2017-3-12
Use props
Poop Chute
lvl.2

United States

Litchi is am amazing app.  I generally use Go for manual flying, but Litchi autonomous waypoint missions is my favorite.  With some careful planning & pre-mission manual reconnaissance flights you can achieve some amazing things you can't do any other way!

2017-3-12
Use props
Johnnyv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2798707 ft
Canada

If you still have a warranty on your drone, I believe using the app will void it.
2017-3-13
Use props
Poop Chute
lvl.2

United States

Why would using Litchi good the warranty?  It uses the same SDK & control algorithms as Go & the full DJI flight logs are recorded & available from the aircraft's internal flight recorder.  If you program a bad mission & crash that certainly isn't a warranty issue, but I don't see why flying with a 3rd Party app in & of itself should render the warranty invalid.
2017-3-13
Use props
Poop Chute
lvl.2

United States

This tablet has the worst spellchecker!  Good = void
2017-3-13
Use props
djiuser_okBO784QuEZG
New

Mozambique

hi,

Any idea if you can import Litchi waypoints into DJIFLY. I bought the litchi app and it said it supports the DJI magic air 2s and then only to find out that it doesn't support the air 2s on IOS only android.
Litchi is an awesome app to plot points and POI's but im surprised they haven't updated the IOS app yet as apply is one of DJI partners all istore's sell DJI.
2022-2-9
Use props
cheddar-man
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44062 ft

United Kingdom

Been using Litchi forever with my old P3A, with a Nvidia Shield. Cant fault it and yes, loads of cool features. I particularly liked the Follw programs.
Sold the P3A and bought a Mini 2 but can't use Litchi as I now use an iPhone XR.
Thinking of getting a Samsung Galaxy just to run Litchi but then they do say an OS version will be available at the end of March, but I'l have to buy again.
So buy again or go over to Android?? Decisions, decisions!
2022-2-10
Use props
Hamik
New
Flight distance : 49882 ft
United States

What is the hardware people are using? iPad mini? What version?
2022-2-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules