New Orlando Drone Laws
4398 17 2017-2-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BlazeAir
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

People who are planning on vacationing to Orlando and bringing their Phantom, or any drone, along with them to fly around that fun city might want to check out this news story first. The Florida city that is home to many fun attractions, just passed a new drone law. Found this story earlier, I have attached the link if you are interested in finding out more.

https://www.airvuz.com/video/AV-News-Orlando-Drone-Ordinance?id=58a73a6ad872cc3a5c329f86

Let me know your thoughts on this new Orlando Ordinance.

2017-2-17
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

The FAA, and the United States want safety, although sure they should not limit everything, I would be okay, with a drone law, plus who wants to crash into an airplane or destroy property. However, put more charges like $150 is just like taxes, just kind of silly.
2017-2-17
Use props
BlazeAir
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Something got messed up with that link above, here is the correct link to the news story! Sorry about that..

https://www.airvuz.com/video/AV- ... 3168f3fe63b60c9ed16
2017-2-17
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

That is why we AS DRONE FAMILY should advocate SAFETY FIRST, FUN SECOND...It start with us....
2017-2-17
Use props
Orlando_Jeff
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49147 ft
United States

I live in Orlando and the rule really doesn't affect me as I'm about 10 miles from the city. I can understand putting rules in effect for flying in downtown areas, sporting events, ect..ect. I mostly fly in my neighborhood which has plenty of room but, I'm sure there will be a law about that in the near future here ( if not already) It will become more and more difficult to fly anywhere soon. I'm going to my sister's house in western North Carolina next week and would love to fly in the Smoky mountains national park but that's out of the question even though I would be flying nowhere near people...
2017-2-17
Use props
BlazeAir
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Orlando_Jeff Posted at 2017-2-17 13:44
I live in Orlando and the rule really doesn't affect me as I'm about 10 miles from the city. I can understand putting rules in effect for flying in downtown areas, sporting events, ect..ect. I mostly fly in my neighborhood which has plenty of room but, I'm sure there will be a law about that in the near future here ( if not already) It will become more and more difficult to fly anywhere soon. I'm going to my sister's house in western North Carolina next week and would love to fly in the Smoky mountains national park but that's out of the question even though I would be flying nowhere near people...

I am glad someone from Orlando saw this and gave their opinion on the topic! Was wondering how you all felt! Thanks!
2017-2-18
Use props
Kilted Flyer (D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

I guess the only safe place is over water or the ocean from the beach.
2017-2-18
Use props
Imovetheearth
lvl.3
United States

I just recently took my P4 to Orlando (Kissimmee) to our resort and found in the small print of the rules and regs of the resort, that it was a "no drone zone". I was planning on some good video of the resort and water park. I was grounded and PO'd! I knew you can't fly around Disney.
2017-2-18
Use props
iFlyMyDrone.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740548 ft
United States

All of Disney World has always been a no fly zone.
2017-2-18
Use props
DLX734
lvl.2
United States

Kilted Flyer (D Posted at 2017-2-18 10:04
I guess the only safe place is over water or the ocean from the beach.

The ocean and beach are not OK everywhere, unfortunately.  Long Beach Island in New Jersey is a no drone zone...the whole 18 mile length of it.
2017-2-18
Use props
msisrael
lvl.4
United States

It's not a terrible idea but there is no lower weight limit.  That part makes no sense.  
2017-2-20
Use props
Adam Flurk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

BlazeAir Posted at 2017-2-17 11:53
Something got messed up with that link above, here is the correct link to the news story! Sorry about that..

https://www.airvuz.com/video/AV-News-Orlando-Drone-Ordinance?id=58a753168f3fe63b60c9ed16

I just saw this and as an Orlando resident my immediate thoughts are WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Watched the video and coincidentally happen to know the guy in the video. Called him to confirm this mess and yeah - it's all valid and 10000000% hogwash as well. I can't believe they passed on this ridiculous law. RIDICULOUS.
Sidenote: I am happy that I have gotten TONS of footage in the City of Orlando prior to all of this. They can stick their new rules (You know where) and I'll take my drone East or West. Pssh.
2017-2-21
Use props
JNadrowski2
New

United States

You also posted on mavic board and so there is a duplicate discussion there.

[url]http://forum.dji.com/thread-85466-1-1.html
[/url]
2017-2-23
Use props
Kilted Flyer (D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

DLX734 Posted at 2017-2-18 16:01
The ocean and beach are not OK everywhere, unfortunately.  Long Beach Island in New Jersey is a no drone zone...the whole 18 mile length of it.

Thats BS. Expecially when your out over the water away from everything. You cant get get any safer then that? I can see if the beach is full of people, but still.. Your out over the water. Unless they dont want you taking off and or landing from the beach due to "people", which is total BS!
2017-2-24
Use props
Tom24nh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 174239 ft
United States

sounds like they want to make some $$ from it, you can fly but pay $20 per flight
2017-3-7
Use props
John Fester
lvl.1
Flight distance : 184984 ft
United States

I have lived in O-town (Orlando) for decades and just found out about this law today. I was not aware of the ordinance and am shocked to have discovered it. So you are reading this post as my reaction to having found out just now.

I fly drones a lot, was just about to head out the door to Apopka Wildlife Drive, plenty outside of Orlando to not be affected by the law. I am on vacation this week, so have been itching to get in the sky. Well that place is closed today...so scratch that, jumped online to find a new alternate place I have not yet been to. Landed upon an article about this ordinance, did a search and found this article.

I am displeased with this notion of being made a guinea pig to test a new idea of this law. Where was the communication to the locals, the community and the people? None. I was not even aware until now...so fail on their part there. These are our elected officials imposing the rules we vote and agree on, no where was there an opportunity to voice my objections to the matter. So in this regard - poorly handled.

I'm a little surprised actually that anyone has been able to fly in downtown Orlando, and I have a few friends that have gotten away with it. Mainly because that's what it took already...getting away with it. There were already several restrictions and hoops to jump through to legally fly downtown, which is surrounded by landed pads and executive airports - all of which you'd need permission to fly within their 5 mile radius. Plus it is so heavily populated that some have been cited due to flying over heavily populated gathering places...however I thought that law only applied to things like concerts, sport games, etc., not hundreds of people walking the streets. I've never tried flying downtown, because it is simply too dangerous and too much work to do it legally.

However, Orlando is large...very large...and this affected me where I live, and technically it is not Orlando. I live in Altamonte Springs, a township connected to Orlando, as many others do, and has become one giant city. But under own own city officials, officers and voting system, so are separate from Orlando...but not in this regard. This ordinance was applied to all townships surrounding Orlando, and that is a massive area. It eliminated about 3 of my preferred fly areas, unless I pay for something I own already...by rights of being a United States Citizen, we the people own this airspace. The government works for us, yet they are making us pay to use what is ours??

I get filing a flight plan, or getting an override number...all of which best be issued upon request without any resistance or delays. But to pay for it??? Dangit...they work for us! We pay them! They charge us for what is ours?? That's where I get annoyed. Very annoyed.

Anyways - I'm all about not flying around huge buildings, although it produces amazing video. But that should be restricted to the professional flyer, not the newbie. And having heavy restrictions is a certain way of deterring wannabe city pilots. But it should have been applied to the downtown area only, and not all the surrounding miles of flat land with not a building over 3 stories around. This is our land...I should not need their permission or to pay for it.

This was my rant over this. I'm bitter about it and will be finding out what I can do to fight to change this, to at least reduce the area to downtown only!

John
2017-8-2
Use props
John Fester
lvl.1
Flight distance : 184984 ft
United States

So I just read this post on phantompilots.com, it says they stopped doing these permits...sooOOOoooo... not sure which is accurate. I'm hoping they stopped it.

https://phantompilots.com/threads/orlando-drone-permits-and-how-to-apply.104920/
2017-8-2
Use props
Adam Flurk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

John Fester Posted at 2017-8-2 06:35
I have lived in O-town (Orlando) for decades and just found out about this law today. I was not aware of the ordinance and am shocked to have discovered it. So you are reading this post as my reaction to having found out just now.

I fly drones a lot, was just about to head out the door to Apopka Wildlife Drive, plenty outside of Orlando to not be affected by the law. I am on vacation this week, so have been itching to get in the sky. Well that place is closed today...so scratch that, jumped online to find a new alternate place I have not yet been to. Landed upon an article about this ordinance, did a search and found this article.

It's only the city of orlando... Not all of orlando. At least from what I understand. Got all my Orlando City footage I need. LOL. Some of it even made it into a mainstream music video that's got nearly 2 million views. So whatever. Orlando is boring anyway... haha!

Here's some of my favorite shots of the City of Orlando before all this took place:

This is the music video my footage made it into:

Some pics:

Last little clip: https://www.instagram.com/p/BCl4eUmmJVH/

2017-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules