GPS Locator
1160 17 2017-2-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dehatter
New

United States

I was wondering what you guys thought of this Ping locator (click here) coming out this summer, and how it compares to more traditional locating.  With the demise of 2G and cost of these suckers, is this a viable option?  I especially like it being waterproof, 3 month battery, and 25g, but is is not a 'tracker'  just a 3G locator.  Is that a big deal?   Sorry, I am a new pilot and want to get the best I can afford.     Thanks in advance for your coments!

2017-2-17
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Those devices use Bluetooth, so they are not much use in finding a drone. They are intended for things lost in an urban environment, and do not have much of a range. You would be better off with a more conventional tracker, do a search on here, there are a number of threads about them.

One other point, to the best of my knowledge, no-one has come on this forum and said they lost their drone and found it using a tracker.

2017-2-17
Use props
Dehatter
New

United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-17 15:31
Those devices use Bluetooth, so they are not much use in finding a drone. They are intended for things lost in an urban environment, and do not have much of a range. You would be better off with a more conventional tracker, do a search on here, there are a number of threads about them.

One other point, to the best of my knowledge, no-one has come on this forum and said they lost their drone and found it using a tracker.

This uses bluetooth AND cellular.....Global range.
2017-2-17
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Dehatter Posted at 2017-2-17 15:34
This uses bluetooth AND cellular.....Global range.

Sorry, you are quite correct. But there are still a number of issues, the claimed battery life is near impossible with a device that features a GPS receiver and Cellular communications. Also, you don't get a data plan in other countries like they claim, here in Australia you would have to take out a data plan with a local provider, costing you at least $10 a month, and the same for anywhere else in the world.

THe more important thing though is that it is a proposed crowd-funded project, I would not touch it until it came out and was available commercially and could be properly reviewed. Until then, there are a number of very good alternatives already on the market.

2017-2-17
Use props
Dehatter
New

United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-17 15:44
Sorry, you are quite correct. But there are still a number of issues, the claimed battery life is near impossible with a device that features a GPS receiver and Cellular communications. Also, you don't get a data plan in other countries like they claim, here in Australia you would have to take out a data plan with a local provider, costing you at least $10 a month, and the same for anywhere else in the world.

THe more important thing though is that it is a proposed crowd-funded project, I would not touch it until it came out and was available commercially and could be properly reviewed. Until then, there are a number of very good alternatives already on the market.

157 countries including Australia for $46US for an entire year, and the battery lasts up to 3 months on a charge.
2017-2-17
Use props
Dehatter
New

United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-17 15:44

Scheduled shipping is July.

So noone has used a tracking device to find their drone?
2017-2-17
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

No, I didn't say that. I have a tracker, but I have not, to my recollection, ever seen anyone come on here and say they went out and located their lost aircraft using a tracker.

And Yes, I saw that list, but the makers of that device do not appear to have a clue as to how cellular services work in countries other than the USA. You cannot get cell data plans for US$46 for every country in the world, you have to purchase a data plan in your own country, and I can tell you that many places in the world you will have to pay consderably more than that amount.

I still have serious doubts abourt the battery life, remember, these are manufactuers claims, and not real world tested results.
2017-2-17
Use props
Dehatter
New

United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-17 17:10
No, I didn't say that. I have a tracker, but I have not, to my recollection, ever seen anyone come on here and say they went out and located their lost aircraft using a tracker.

And Yes, I saw that list, but the makers of that device do not appear to have a clue as to how cellular services work in countries other than the USA. You cannot get cell data plans for US$46 for every country in the world, you have to purchase a data plan in your own country, and I can tell you that many places in the world you will have to pay consderably more than that amount.

It is my understanding the the service is in Ping's name, and is actually US based and the carrier they have the contract with rolls in global roaming.  You buy the service from Ping, not a carrier.  It will be interesting to see it in real life for both factors you have brought up, but they have extensively tested the prototypes, and are still claiming that battery life.   The product at this stage is in actual production.  Of course problems can always arise.  Time will definitely tell.   What tracker do you use?
2017-2-17
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Dehatter Posted at 2017-2-17 18:05
It is my understanding the the service is in Ping's name, and is actually US based and the carrier they have the contract with rolls in global roaming.  You buy the service from Ping, not a carrier.  It will be interesting to see it in real life for both factors you have brought up, but they have extensively tested the prototypes, and are still claiming that battery life.   The product at this stage is in actual production.  Of course problems can always arise.  Time will definitely tell.   What tracker do you use?

I use a newer version of the RF-V30 tracker: http://en.rf-gsm.com/products/Re ... ps_tracker_645.html

If you were to buy the tracxker in another country, then I doubt the US arrangement would work.
2017-2-17
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Dehatter Posted at 2017-2-17 16:39
157 countries including Australia for $46US for an entire year, and the battery lasts up to 3 months on a charge.

3 months is laughable, can't be true. Remember what they say about, if it sounds to good to be true? Sounds like your promoting it, do you own stock in the company?
2017-2-17
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Personally, I would consider and research Flytrex.  Not sure if it would fit on a Mavic though.  
2017-2-18
Use props
Dehatter
New

United States

WilliamM Posted at 2017-2-17 22:19
3 months is laughable, can't be true. Remember what they say about, if it sounds to good to be true? Sounds like your promoting it, do you own stock in the company?

No. I do not own stock.  I am just doing research to get the best component possible.  I only quoted information from the webpage in response to the comments.   I AM however, open to new technologies, and do not dismiss them by being closed minded.  It was not that long ago that some of us were charging our cell phones twice a day, or rotating an antenna on top of the house for better reception.
2017-2-18
Use props
Dehatter
New

United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-2-18 04:16
Personally, I would consider and research Flytrex.  Not sure if it would fit on a Mavic though.

Do you use Flytrex?  I glanced at it when I was trying to get dashware working but have not look into it in detail.
2017-2-18
Use props
Dehatter
New

United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-17 18:49
I use a newer version of the RF-V30 tracker: http://en.rf-gsm.com/products/Reachfar_RF_V40_3g_pet_gps_gsm_tracker_for_dog_husky_mini_waterproof_anywhere_gps_tracker_645.html

If you were to buy the tracxker in another country, then I doubt the US arrangement would work.

I looked at the V40 last night.   Can you turn the leds off?  Otherwise it seems like a great choice.  More expensive than a V16, but it is waterproof and seems pretty durable.
2017-2-18
Use props
Johnnyrebel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 521010 ft
United Kingdom

I don't know if there's any relevance in this but years ago (@20!)we used trackers on our falcons and hawks, these used two watch batteries and we could track them from @4 miles if they were in flight if they were down on a kill it was harder to track. I forgot to remove the batteries from the tracker when I put the bird to moult,14 weeks passed and the tracker was getting its pre season check and the transmitter was still "pinging" away with a good strong signal. It wasn't used like this and the batteries were renewed before use. These units did not rely on GPS or cellular, much like the Marco polo units but a lot bulkier, the transmitter that attached to the bird weighed @15g as I recall,but the tracking unit+ yagi antenna and coax perhaps weighed 2lbs. Some of the newer units go into sleep mode to extend battery life and with all the latest technology I wouldn't dismiss the claim  of 3 months altogether, just my two penneth for what its worth
2017-2-18
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Dehatter Posted at 2017-2-18 14:07
Do you use Flytrex?  I glanced at it when I was trying to get dashware working but have not look into it in detail.

Yes, I'm a devoted fan of Flytrex and Dashware both.  Unfortunately, Flytrex doesn't make a device for the Mavic, but I have to wonder if the device would work if you registered it as mounted on "Other / Custom" because the telemetery listed - temp, speed, altitude, time - is actually already available via the device itself.  So theoretically it would work without having to be connected to the flight controller.  Just power it up!

http://www.flytrex.com/challenges/distance/

And sometimes a bunch of 'em pop up on eBay for $50 each brand new.  That's where I got my last one.  And since the service is free forever, all you have left to pay is the 3G connection which runs $40/ year.  

Re Dashware, I heard it doesn't work on the Win 10 Anniversary update.  Too bad.  

Somebody please remind me not to get the Win 10 Anniversary update...
2017-2-18
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

My GPS tracker stopped working January 1st.  I was using H2OWireless.
I found out that many others such as T-Mobile are still providing 2G service.
I switched to T-mobile and now my trackers work fine again.
They have a $3.00 / month pre-paid plan that is nearly identical to the one I had with H2)wireless
2017-2-18
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2017-2-18 23:37
My GPS tracker stopped working January 1st.  I was using H2OWireless.
I found out that many others such as T-Mobile are still providing 2G service.
I switched to T-mobile and now my trackers work fine again.

I remember you had started a thread about the 2G service ending with some carries, glad you found a way it get your current tracker working. Just had to get a T-Mobile sim chip?
2017-2-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules