Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Crackes on the battery
3648 21 2017-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
F.C Drone City
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1909 ft
United States

My 4 months old Mavic is getting wrinkles ? I'm wondering why ?
IMG_9360.JPG
IMG_9359.JPG
2017-2-18
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

If your batteries are or have been swollen then you should (safely) dispose of them.
2017-2-18
Use props
severebluesky
lvl.4

Germany

Wow, looks like fatigue cracks due to bending from inside
2017-2-18
Use props
severebluesky
lvl.4

Germany

Maybe the lithium troll inside is growing... how is the battery behaving? Everything ok? Do you left the battery in the sun and it starts to brittle the plastic? Looks strange...
2017-2-18
Use props
F.C Drone City
lvl.3
United States

severebluesky Posted at 2017-2-18 07:22
Maybe the lithium troll inside is growing... how is the battery behaving? Everything ok? Do you left the battery in the sun and it starts to brittle the plastic? Looks strange...

On the sun ? It's been a long winter friend
2017-2-18
Use props
severebluesky
lvl.4

Germany

Yeah... Same here, nothing severe from above to damage plastic in short period of time. Anyway 4 month is nothing ... So hope you get info on this. Do you have just on battery? If you have more, are they still ok? Good luck
2017-2-18
Use props
F.C Drone City
lvl.3
United States

severebluesky Posted at 2017-2-18 07:36
Yeah... Same here, nothing severe from above to damage plastic in short period of time. Anyway 4 month is nothing ... So hope you get info on this. Do you have just on battery? If you have more, are they still ok? Good luck

Info ? From where ?
2017-2-18
Use props
MavicMule
First Officer
Flight distance : 6329 ft
United States

Make sure you are not storing fully charged batteries, as they heat up during the regen process when discharging.  Manual says this happens after 10 days of no use.  The cracks appear heat related.  Be safe!
2017-2-18
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Batteries have six month WARRANTY. Send them back Nowwwwwwww.
2017-2-18
Use props
VAS67
lvl.4
Flight distance : 265984 ft
United Kingdom

Lipo Batteries can be dangerous, trust me I know.
I had one catch fire whilst on charge (NOT A DJI PRODUCT).
I was lucky I was able to distinguish it, although I reckon I was about 30 seconds away from loosing my house.

Check out this video, this guy has had the same trouble as you.
[/url]
2017-2-18
Use props
fans825c0532
Second Officer
Flight distance : 341355 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I've seen this type of slight cracks in the Hong Kong DJI flagship store. They still use it in their demos but I thought it is due to being a demo machine .. Don't know... hope you get a replacement or nothing happens to your battery
2017-2-18
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Make sure you are not storing fully charged batteries, as they heat up during the regen process when discharging.

Do you know for a fact that this is true for the Mavic?  I have measured my Phantom batteries during discharge and the difference between self discharging and fully charged/stored is less than 1.5 degrees F.  They self discharge rather regularly in my closed case.  Is the Mavic hotter than this during discharge?
2017-2-18
Use props
Trent Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1098924 ft
United Kingdom

Thought the whole point in the "intelligent" batteries would self discharge in 5-10 days (whatever you set). Why wouldn't you fully charge them?

I always fully charge them and put them away. I'm yet to go 10 days without using them again so have always been fully charged when I come to use them
2017-2-18
Use props
MavicMule
First Officer
Flight distance : 6329 ft
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-2-18 15:45
Make sure you are not storing fully charged batteries, as they heat up during the regen process when discharging.

Do you know for a fact that this is true for the Mavic?  I have measured my Phantom batteries during discharge and the difference between self discharging and fully charged/stored is less than 1.5 degrees F.  They self discharge rather regularly in my closed case.  Is the Mavic hotter than this during discharge?

Pg 27 of manual says moderate heat will be emitted during discharge process.  Some of the tutorials on YouTube said same thing, but if it's in a case, heat might get trapped in warmer climates.  The cracks in the OPs picture looks like heat stress.  I haven't,personally had the cracks because my LT stored batteries are below 65% charge.
2017-2-18
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

MavicMule Posted at 2017-2-18 16:35
Pg 27 of manual says moderate heat will be emitted during discharge process.  Some of the tutorials on YouTube said same thing, but if it's in a case, heat might get trapped in warmer climates.  The cracks in the OPs picture looks like heat stress.  I haven't,personally had the cracks because my LT stored batteries are below 65% charge.

My temperature comparisons (measured with IR thermometer) were made with one battery on self discharge and the other at 50% from the week before.  They were removed from my closed wheeled case, surrounded by the normal foam segments, each in their separate but identical compartments.  The one that was discharging had been doing so for a few hours, and the other one had been discharged the weekend before.  When I pulled them both out, I immediately measured their outside temperature at 1.5 deg F differential on the warmest surface.  Leaving them on the desk over the next couple of days, they remained about 1.0 deg F differential until I quit checking them.  I suspect the differential tapered down as the discharging battery got closer to its 50-65% charge state, where both of mine seem to quit discharging.
2017-2-19
Use props
F.C Drone City
lvl.3
United States

DJI support sent me a email they want me to send the battery to repair shop but in same e mail o can't ship a swollen battery ?   Send it or not send it
2017-2-23
Use props
F.C Drone City
lvl.3
United States

"4. Do not ship swollen, punctured, or visibly damaged batteries. If you do ship batteries in this condition, we are required to recycle them and cannot ship them back to you. If your battery was damaged in a crash and you would like to be considered for warranty replacement of the battery, you will need to provide a proof of purchase, pictures of the damage, and serial number(s) for each battery affected in the package you ship to us."
2017-2-23
Use props
Joseph Venne
New

Argentina

Just make sure that the battery is not cracked from inside. It may cause serious damage. If you are planning to dispose it, please make sure that you do it carefully. I say this because I've heard many such incidents where batteries cause serious accidents and here is an why describes why we should not just throw away the battery ( http://www.gorillabins.ca/blog/can-not-throw-away-batteries/ ). I don't think that shipping is possible because most of the shippers require some law thing for shipping hazardous materials. if you don't feel safe, just dispose it safely and get a new one.
2017-2-28
Use props
F.C Drone City
lvl.3
United States

After spoken with DJI support 3 weeks ago  I was promised that they will ship me a brand new battery replacement . I'm still waiting !!!
2017-3-17
Use props
Rob1010
New

India

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-18 07:18
If your batteries are or have been swollen then you should (safely) dispose of them.

Disposing of Batteries is a very tricky thing. They need to be disposed of properly or it can cause major damage to garbageman and at the worst case set fire to a landfill due to its flammable fluid. Here is an article I came across recently and it mentions safe ways to dispose of batteries:

Disposing of Batteries
2018-2-4
Use props
chiplifter
Captain
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

This looks serious to me. I hope DJI Support can give more info on this since imho it can be a safety issue.
2018-2-4
Use props
fansb974b206
New

United States

Is this normal? Seems they are stress type cracks...
2019-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules