Beginner Intro
1251 21 2017-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
braddos
lvl.1
Canada

Hey all,

I'm just getting into quadcopters, decided DJI was the only way to go from everything i had read. So i decided on a P3P with 2 additional batteries. Just wanted to thank you all for how much i have already learned here from reading. I'm actually so new that my P3P still hasn't been delivered lol. Ordered prop protectors to get through the learning curve, and was going to get CF props but i read here that it may cause issues with the new update. I plan on spending a good amount of time on the virtual training before getting much into flying. What are the 3 top pieces of advice i should know as a newb to this? And thanks!
2017-2-18
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Hi welcome, first of all read the manual it can be downloaded from here http://www.dji.com/phantom-3-pro/info
What device are you going to use? make sure it is compatible with the app.
Get to know your bird, the tutorial videos are also available in the link above, watch them to, as are all the Software downloads.
Last of all reread the manual!!
Cheers and have fun!!
2017-2-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

What Nigel recommends is a decent place to start. Reading the manual is the key, along with watching the tutorial YouTube videos that DJI provides.
2017-2-18
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

I have a nice field and running track where I live so I did my setups and practices at low levels.  Learn your remote controls functions.

Also read about CSC emergency shut down so you never do one in flight. Some people have done that and blamed DJI when they crashed their drones.
2017-2-18
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

You've probably only read one post from one user that has had problems with CF props with the latest firmware.  The best thing to learn from this is not make a conclusion based on such a small sample size.  For every one user with a problem, there are literally thousands/tens of thousands/hundreds of thousands of users that have no problem whatsoever.  You will form a view that there is no shortage of problems, based on reading one problem after another.  Keep in mind the majority of people who post on the forums are coming here for help with a problem, then never come back.  People don't often come here to post that everything is working perfectly.

By the way, the latest firmware has been improved to include a routine to check if the props are loose or missing.  Some people think that means there is a problem with the firmware.  The only reason you are being told about it is because there is now a check for it.  The same scenario could have been occurring for years on previous firmwares, but you were blissfully unaware of a problem.  That doesn't mean the aircraft was safe or the previous firmware wasn't broken (not really broken, because the check wasn't in there to break).   It's a bit like saying your car is safe because it hasn't shown a brake-fail warning in the past, but since the dealer installed a warning light on the dash they created a problem.  No, they are alerting you to a condition you didn't know about before.  There are way too many people on this forum and others that think 1+1=3 -- this piece of evidence plus this one equals this (wrong) conclusion.  It's best not to buy into the "there's something wrong with the current firmware" hysteria too early, until calmer heads have looked at the problem or there is a flood of similar complaints to corroborate it, e.g. using the latest GO app on Android with a P3 Standard and pressing the HOME button and having it create a new home point 1.6km NW of its position.  There is usually a rational explanation for most problems, and even though it might look like your aircraft is flying away on its own, it might just be pilot error and you are flying in conditions that are too windy at an altitude that you have no idea of the conditions.  When it is explained calmly and logically, it suddenly makes perfect sense.

So, my one piece of advice is not to leap to conclusions.  If you have a problem you can't solve, come into the forums and explain it and ask for help.  There are plenty of people happy to help you with it.
2017-2-19
Use props
embayweather
lvl.4
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

From one newbie to another I agree with evrything said above, but I would also add two things. Take your learning curve slowly. I did this by 'running in' the batteries and only flying them to 50% for the first ten flights. It meant I could not go far or hgh, but I could elarn some of the flying basics. Secodnly, fly safely. You have control of an aircraft, albeit a small one, but a flying rojectile it is. Please follwo all the safety advice you can.
2017-2-19
Use props
braddos
lvl.1
Canada

Thanks folks! Blackcrusader I read about CSC and it still scares me that I might forget about it and do it mid flight. I've read the manual online quickly but now year it is coming I'll go through it again a few times. Ya one have any luck finding a decent price on a hard protective case type carrier. I'm not crazy about the backpack type carriers? Thanks all, looking forward to posting a pic or 2 when that time comes around.
2017-2-19
Use props
Krychk
New

United States

Agreed with the OP.

I read this forum for awhile then purchased.  I also say THANKS for sharing stories and procedures.  I flew twice this weekend and each time felt like I had a good pre-flight checklist and a flight checklist from reading posts and advice given on this forum.  

- read manual and online videos
- NO CSC
- Practice with one control stick at a time
- Fly Safe
- Practice

Also beginner mode is really nice for me while practicing like the small boundary while I coordinate making videos and flying at the same time.

THANKS ALL
2017-2-19
Use props
DaveNC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28560 ft
United States

After reading through the manual, probably more than once, I found DJI's tutorial videos helped clarify a few things, especially about the controller switches and the DJI Go app functions.
2017-2-19
Use props
braddos
lvl.1
Canada

Endotherm thanks for the advise. Just wanted to make sure that was valid. Everything is learning curve so I tend to err on the side of caution while learning. Has anyone had problems with non DJI props or do most people shy away form non DJI props / parts? This week i'll get through all the videos and the manual again. Then i plan to use the training on the app a lot.
2017-2-20
Use props
CBJ72
lvl.1

United States

Go ahead and mess around the with the flight simulator on the app, however, I found it to be more difficult than actually flying the Phantom in real life.  Just my 2 cents.   Just be sure to practice in wide open spaces and i recommend making sure beginner mode is activated so that the Phantom won't get too far away from you.
2017-2-22
Use props
braddos
lvl.1
Canada

CBJ72 Posted at 2017-2-22 09:24
Go ahead and mess around the with the flight simulator on the app, however, I found it to be more difficult than actually flying the Phantom in real life.  Just my 2 cents.   Just be sure to practice in wide open spaces and i recommend making sure beginner mode is activated so that the Phantom won't get too far away from you.

Agreed! I like the fact that it has beginner mode.  And if the simulator is a bit harder than flying the real thing that is perfect... i should be better off when I run it for real. Thanks!
2017-2-22
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

braddos Posted at 2017-2-20 04:50
Endotherm thanks for the advise. Just wanted to make sure that was valid. Everything is learning curve so I tend to err on the side of caution while learning. Has anyone had problems with non DJI props or do most people shy away form non DJI props / parts? This week i'll get through all the videos and the manual again. Then i plan to use the training on the app a lot.

It would be advisable to stick with genuine DJI props, they are very well balanced out of the packet.  Aftermarket copies are typically poorly balanced.  They are cheap enough to insist on genuines and not risk an expensive machine for the sake of a couple of dollars.

The other consideration is batteries.  ONLY ever use genuine DJI batteries.  Copies typically won't work well, if at all, especially with later firmwares.
2017-2-23
Use props
Johnnyv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2798707 ft
Canada

I would use the drone as is forgo the accessories. I found the flight simulator very helpful in understaning how the controls work and learning other functions such as Point of interest. I would take the time to learn the flight rules and restrictions as  well. There is a website called skyvector.com that shows you where you can and cannot fly and Transport Canada has some basic rules to follow. Flying safely is in the best interests of everyone and the hobby.
2017-2-23
Use props
braddos
lvl.1
Canada

I have been on through Transport Canada site extensively this week to make sure I am completely up to date on the laws and best practices. Skype tor of new to me though. I'll hit that tonight. Thanks Johnny!
2017-2-23
Use props
braddos
lvl.1
Canada

Endothelial point taken on props. Makes sense. And I bought two additional DJI batteries too. The generic route was too high risk to me.
2017-2-23
Use props
braddos
lvl.1
Canada

And so it begins... pretty excited!
downloadd675f354__2fstorage_2f3035-3034_2fDCIM_2fCamera_2f20170225_090635.png
2017-2-25
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

braddos Posted at 2017-2-19 17:10
Thanks folks! Blackcrusader I read about CSC and it still scares me that I might forget about it and do it mid flight. I've read the manual online quickly but now year it is coming I'll go through it again a few times. Ya one have any luck finding a decent price on a hard protective case type carrier. I'm not crazy about the backpack type carriers? Thanks all, looking forward to posting a pic or 2 when that time comes around.

Of course there is a fix for this.  Some pilots will tell you it's the dumb thumbs malady.
It's when your thumbs do things sub consciously without you realizing. Good thing there is a cure for that.

2017-2-25
Use props
braddos
lvl.1
Canada

I see there is a lil  plastic guard you can put on the base of the stick to restrict movement a bit so that can't happen.  Might just do that until my mind and thumbs can communicate properly lol.
2017-2-25
Use props
braddos
lvl.1
Canada

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-25 05:20
Of course there is a fix for this.  Some pilots will tell you it's the dumb thumbs malady.
It's when your thumbs do things sub consciously without your realizing. Good thing there is a cure for that.

That should solve any issues ....
2017-2-26
Use props
braddos
lvl.1
Canada

Not much but here's a pic from my 1st ever flight. A simple 7 minute feel it out session but I really enjoyed it, I'm hooked lol ...
2017-3-1
Use props
braddos
lvl.1
Canada

Nothing amazing for sure but here's a pic a took on my 1st flight, a quick 7 minute feel it out run that I really enjoyed. Definitely hooked!
2017-3-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules